Works For Me: Love, Sweet Love

Wfmwheader_12 In honor of Valentine’s Day, today is the Love, Sweet Love Edition of Works-For-Me Wednesday.  Have a romantic tip to share with Bloggityville?  This is your chance!  Ideas could include a way to woo your sweetie, a helpful piece of relationship advice, etc.  (Just keep it PG-rated if you’re going to link back here.  Ahem.)

My Hubs loves order more than anyone I’ve ever known.  I’m sure if you charted his brain waves, they would be perfectly symmetrical, evenly-spaced and color-coded.  My brain waves, on the other hand, would be banging into each other, starting projects they couldn’t finish, and spending too much on purses.

Years ago, on a whim, when he was particularly busy at work and didn’t have the time to "order" his life the way he wanted, I organized his closet.  I threw out all the extra plastic bags from the cleaners, packaged up the old hangers for recycling, sorted his dress shirts by color, evenly spaced the hangers…you get the idea.  It was quite a challenge for this right-brain girl.

That night, when he came home and saw his spic-and-span closet, he grinned like an eight-year-old boy.  Not only was he tickled at his shiny new closet, he was deeply touched that his messy wife (whose own closet looks like an explosion at TJMaxx) would think of something so out-of-character.

To this day, when life gets a little stressful for him, I organize his closet within an inch of its life.  I don’t like doing it, but I know that this simple little thing makes him feel more loved than anything else I do.

Okay, almost anything else.

๐Ÿ˜‰

For more straight talk, visit any of the links below.  Be sure you don’t miss Carol’s excellent post!

58 thoughts on “Works For Me: Love, Sweet Love

1. Ann says:

Shannon, I think our marriages mirror each other. Perhaps I’ll surprise my own order-craving Hub with a burst of order someplace in this disorderly house. I could start just about anywhere and it would indeed be a surprise. Thanks for the tip.

2. Overwhelmed! says:

My husband and I both have a tendency to be slobs. When either of us cleans up for the other, it’s such a treat! You’ve given me another idea for something to suprise him with on Valentine’s Day.

3. roxanne says:

my closet looks the same way! my brain is also the same way. the purse thing, i have the same problem. and my hubby is just like yours. this is crazy! thanks for the great idea. btw, what is your favorite brand of purse?

4. Carol says:

My hunky hubby just cleaned out his own side of the closet. And he did a much better job of it than I ever could. Should I ask him to do my side, too? Nah…He’d just throw out my hole-y Pink Floyd t-shirt from high school. And we can’t have that.
    But he loves it when I clean out the pantry and the fridge.
    Okay. I’m hip. Time to tackle the kitchen tomorrow.

5. Jerri says:

I have posted some fun ideas to do in Feb., called 14 Days of Love.
    Especially fun is the idea I got for decorating my hubby’s lunch box. Pics are included!
    blessings,
    jerri

6. Pastormac's Ann says:

Very thoughtful and sweet. Amazing how the little things mean so much. Another benefit of this is your kids watching you do this special thing for their dad. Those moments are mean so much too.
    Hope the sunshine comes back to your corner of the world soon, Shannon.
    (praying for you.)

7. Marcia says:

Hi Shannon
    That is sooo sweet of you.
    In our house, it’s reversed roles but my husband won’t let me into his wardrobes (closets as you guys say in the US).
    However, I’ve been eyeing his snack box for weeks and on Sunday he let me at it – to organise to my heart’s content! LOL

8. Becky says:

What a great wife you are. That is really great of you! Thanks for sharing that with us! I love this edition of WFMW! Have a great day!

9. Melene says:

Very sweet thing to do. My husband would be thrilled if I did that in his closet, the pantry, the kitchen cabinets…..he’s a military man and sometimes it really shows!
    Thanks for the great idea.

10. jen says:

Well, I enjoyed doing this one..thanks for hosting as always…..and how sweet on the closet organizing….it is the little things Shannon….Happy Valentines Day to you and your family.

11. Heather L. says:

I like to clean the garage for my DH. He’s not a neat-nick, but a clean garage is like heaven for him. Sometimes just sweeping it out brings him a smile. Great tip! Thanks for hosting!

12. Nikki says:

How awesome that you know how much your husband appreciates this kind gesture! I need to dig deep and think about those things that truly bless my husband (whether I like doing them or not). I think one may be emptying the kitchen trash and washing it out. Gross. But I’ll do it for my Valentine.

13. MommyOz says:

Finally getting back into WFMW after a LONG break.
    I think the closet idea would really work for my husband too. Since I’m at the end of this pregnancy I’m not sure if that will be happening anytime soon. I’m doing well to get SOMEONE ELSE to iron his shirts ๐Ÿ™‚

14. MommyOz says:

OH, it has been a long time!!! i totally forgot to put what my blog was about next to my name. “DH fav valentine treat”
    I’m sorry.

15. qtpies7 says:

Wow, thats a great example of what I’m talking about in my post! You showed how much you respect him and his “ways” that you would do something for him that goes against your very nature!

16. tracy says:

Shannon! I thought my husband was the only one like that! I’m thrilled to know there is someone else out there like him! He was trying to put a name to his orderliness but creating a disorder just for him! We’ll let you know the diagnosis ๐Ÿ˜‰

17. Emily says:

Shannon, what a great idea! I wonder if I could ever do this with my husband’s toolboxes? The poor guy has lots of tools thanks to a “tool party” before we were married. But we live in a small condo with no garage, and we just haven’t found a good way to organize and store his stuff, and I know it frustrates him. Maybe somehow I can find time to get some real boxes and organize them for him!

18. Megan says:

What I really want to know is how gals like us ended up with guys like that? I mean, OF COURSE I love him, but we couldn’t be any more different in that area. And the amount of tension that can cause… Oh man.
    I vow in sickness and in health and to keep all of my personal affects TOTALLY OFF OF HIS DESK!!
    ๐Ÿ™‚

19. Barbara H. says:

That’s sweet. ๐Ÿ™‚
    I’m looking forward to reading all the entries today. Usually I can skip around, not reading things like diaper and baby tips since I am beyond that stage. But I think I’ll probably be reading most, if not all of these — though it may take me a while! ๐Ÿ™‚

20. Birdie says:

I’m the self-appointed keeper of both my husband’s desk and closet. I recently moved an old chest-of-drawers into his closet to further organize him (he has a BIG closet!) and he just loves it!
    Keep up the good work! ๐Ÿ˜‰

21. Kathleen Marie says:

That is an excellent idea…so something that they would love and appreciate. My hubby loves a clean house and you and I have A LOT in common โ˜บ Right Brained Women.

22. Blessed Beyond Measure says:

My engineer husband is neater than me and would have a stroke if I moved any of his stuff, but just a phone call, in the middle of the day, or a little note in his lunch lets him know I’m thinking of him.

23. proverbs31 says:

Aww, how sweeet!! See, my hubby’s version would be, “I clean out his car.” He’s not a neat-nick, not by any means, and he hates cleaning out his car. So when I want to do something sweet, that’s what I do for him. ๐Ÿ™‚
    I got my WFMW up! I hope you don’t mind that I created my own banner just for today, it needed something special. It’s free for anybody who wants to take it and grab it. ๐Ÿ˜‰
    And I must say.. what a fantastic turn out so far! And the day is only half over! Way to go “internets” (as BooMama would say.) Happy Vday to all!

24. Lei says:

always looking for fun new ideas… valentine’s is my favorite holiday! love the excuse to express my unabashed love for all. ๐Ÿ™‚

25. HolyMama! says:

i have been avoiding mike’s side of the closet, waiting for HIM to clean it up so i can even walk that way to put away his laundry…
    me do it? huh. that’s novel. he’d like it. yeah!
    (i’ll let you know how it goes)

26. Jen says:

oopsie! I put my name on the list without really realizing what it will do..
    Great post though.. wishing someone would come clean up my closet!

27. Perky says:

Great idea, unfortunately in my house, RockStar would KILL me if I touched his closet!!! I, however, would LOVE it if someone came in and organized my closet!!!

28. Lisa says:

I go through the house one step ahead of hubbie’s morning routine and leave hershey kisses where i’ve done for him what needed done..For example, laid out his towel/washcloth for the shower, put toothpaste on the toothbrush, pressed the clothes, made the coffee, set out breakfast. You get the picture…It’s good to remind each other once in a while that we still acknowledge our sweeties’ details.

29. Matt Dunn says:

Shannon,
    First of all, I hope this is your first comment from South America (Riobamba, Ecuador), albeit from your first cousin.
    Second, I picture Macยดs brainwaves not as being color-coded and evenly-spaced, but as red and all on the right side. And maybe with a Fox emblem on the upper lefthand side.
    But hey, we gotta have some balance in the family, right?