Evidently the Word of the Day Is “Pincushion”

Pincushion1_3I told you a couple of days ago that my best coping strategy for a case of the blues was to create something with my hands.  When I found some fantastic pink and brown tweed at the fabric store for ONE DOLLAR A YARD (oh, my heart), I bought two yards and knew I had to do something with it.

Pincushion2Inspired by many of the adorable pincushions I’ve seen sprouting up at craft blogs all over the place, I decided to make one or two.  Or a hundred.  Because once I got started making these little dealihoos, I have been unable to stop.  They’re so cute, easy, and I’ve already finished nine of them.  But I have another 15 cut out, ready to sew.  Yes, FIFTEEN.  And that’s just from the tweed.  After this batch, I plan to try some with a more whimsical fabric.

Which means that everyone in my life who has ever even looked sideways at a sewing machine will be getting a pincushion for their next three birthdays.  Either that, or I’m opening a pincushion store.

But the funk?  It’s a little less funky…

26 thoughts on “Evidently the Word of the Day Is “Pincushion”

1. Doris says:

Oh. My. Word. I picked up some (BIG piece) of fabric from a freecycler the other day. She had planned to cover seat cushions with it. I thought I might until I got it and decided it did not match. I’ve been wondering what the heck I was going to do with it. It will be perfect for this project. Thanks for the idea. πŸ™‚

2. elizabeth says:

I love them! If you you happen to OD on pincushions, (Gateway project, you know.) you could always progress to sachets. Mmmmmmm….

3. smcarney says:

Glad to hear that you’re de-funkifying. I totally believe that sewing is a great “saver”! (I better, since I own my own sewing biz, huh?) Cute pincushions. What did you put inside them?

4. Sally says:

I don’t sew and I am also “craft-impaired” so any other suggestions to get out of the “winter funk”??? It has been extremely cold here for the last several days, below 0 at night and only in the single digits during the day. Today we are supposed to have a “heatwave” and get up into the teens!!

5. Goslyn says:

Hilarious. Hil.ar.i.ous. You can re-upholster your sofa in little tweed pincushions. It’s like that story about the boy who turns on the donut machine, but doesn’t know how to turn it off and ends up filling the donut shop with thousands of donuts.
    Headline in next weeks paper: “Dryer family found buried under mound of pincushions. February funk suspected.”
    And I think you should listen to Jules. Sell ’em! Turn that funk into a nice, tidy profit.

6. Tara says:

Boy, the rest of your commenters are MUCH more generous than myself. I was thinking they’d make for a great contest prize!!! πŸ˜‰ I’m working on four baby quilts right now. (Well, not RIGHT now, I’m commenting on your blog!) Glad to see your Feb funk on the way out!!

7. HolyMama! says:

these are so cute! and i know what you mean about needing to create things to help with the funk. i can’t sew, but i just ITCH to do stuff with pretty papers. i love the button you put in the middle of each one. i’ve only seen the kind of standard tomato pincushion my grandmothers had, and so these are by far the cutest i’ve seen. but um? 24 of them? wow!

8. Beth says:

Boy…my sister should have trade-marked that phrase….she could pay for her kids’ college fund every time someone used her term “the funk”.

9. Michelle says:

Odd but true….I was just thinking about how to make a better pincushion for my preschool class since the ones at the store are soooo cheap and get picked apart in minutes. LOVE THIS!

10. Kristi says:

I’ve been totally obsessed with the crafty girls, too. OBSESSED. And then I beat myself up for being so talentless. In the craft arena, anyway.
    Lurve the pincushions.

11. Nancy, aka Bookfool says:

I like! I’ve been trying to ward off the blues by making loads of bookmarks with my own photos and a cheap laminating machine. It’s really fun. February is a pretty nice month in Mississippi, though. I shouldn’t be blue.