Pincushion Instructions

Several of you e-mailed to ask me how to make the pincushions that are currently taking over my life.  I’m horrible at giving written sewing instructions, but I’ll give it a shot.

It’s simple, really–they’re just four-inch-by-four-inch pillows, stuffed (firmly) with batting, and then wrapped with grosgrain ribbon (like a present).  As a last step, I just sewed on a button in the middle (pulled thread through to the opposite side of the pillow to "puff" it).

Here’s a tutorial I found for a similar pincushion, except this one is a circle.  And it’s written by someone who actually knows how write a tutorial.  Which clearly I do not.

If you have no idea how to sew, but you’re interested, I strongly encourage you to do some homework and learn.  IT IS NOT AS HARD AS YOU THINK IT IS.  I was blessed enough to have a mom who sewed; she taught me everything I know.  Any experienced crafters out there have a learn-to-sew method they’d like to recommend?

11 thoughts on “Pincushion Instructions

1. An Iowa Mom says:

I don’t think you could have given any better instructions! 🙂
    These little things are so cute … I may have to make a few. Great stocking stuffers for the women in the family since we all sew!
    Thanks!

2. Jan says:

My grandmother and all her sisters sewed, as did my mother. I learned in middle school from my homemaking teacher, and from my mama and grandmother. Unfortunately, the sewing gene skipped a generation (see Jeana’s post today). For me it was a mixture of monkey-see-monkey-do, and learning to read instructions. Many fabric shops offer cheap or even free lessons–it’s worth checking into.

3. Jan says:

4. Sally says:

My Mom is a beautiful seamstress and she can make anything!! Unfortunately, the “sewing gene” skipped me because I haven’t got a clue and I really just have no interest in sewing or crafting!! Must be something wrong with me…………

5. Amy says:

It is funny that you bring this up because a friend just loaned me her sewing machine to see if I should invest in one or not. I have no sewing skills so I don’t want to spend the money unnecessarily. I am going to give sewing a shot this weekend.
    Aunt Murry- they offer sewing lessons at our JoAnn Fabrics. Check local fabric & craft stores to see if they offer a courses in your area. They might be even cheaper than the community college route…

6. Randi says:

Cute pincushions! I tend to mass produce things as well. There is something satisfying about making a whole bunch of a cute thing!

7. Eve says:

I’m one of the newbies and like Aunt Murry I’ve always wanted to learn how to sew and actually be good at it.I also used to work at a Frame Gallery and did some sewing with them but it didn’t have to look pretty because it was never visible.
    I did however, find some great video tutorials on how to sew on a button, turn up trousers, mend a torn seam, and fix a snag in a jumper at http://www.videojug.com/search/sew
    Sewing is definitely one of my goals this year.