We Interrupt This Blog For a Moment Of Shameless Self-Promotion

Hang on a minute, I have to finish my happy dance in my kitchen.

. . . .

Okay, I’m back.

*big deep breath*

ChickensoupI just got word that something I’ve written is going to published in a real-live, honest-to-goodness, hold-it-in-your-hands BOOK.

I’m squealing just typing that sentence.

Over the summer, I submitted one of my posts to the Chicken Soup For the Soul people.  They were doing an "open call" for submissions to their latest book, Chicken Soup For the New Mom’s Soul.  I sent them a post I wrote nearly a year ago and (to shorten a long story involving e-mails and edits and signed releases etc. etc. etc.) THEY ACCEPTED IT.  I got the official word over the weekend that my piece…with a BY-LINE no less…is really and truly in the book.  The tentative release date is April 9 (though it’s already available for pre-order here). OH YES INDEEDY Chilihead has already agreed to be at Border’s with me when the doors open that day.  I’m sure we’ll take pictures or video or find some way to make complete fools of ourselves as we dance up and down the bookstore aisles.

In case you were wondering, the piece they accepted can be read in its original form here.  They made a couple of very minor edits, and the book version will use my daughter’s real name instead of her "code" name of Corrie.

Oh, and by the way, if any of you are interested in submitting your own pieces to the Chicken Soup people, they have several new titles in the works.  You can get details here.

Thanks for listening to my shamless brag.  *Resuming happy dance*….

113 thoughts on “We Interrupt This Blog For a Moment Of Shameless Self-Promotion

1. Nancy says:

I was published in Chicken Soup too!
    I had a story in “Chicken Soup for the Parent’s Soul”, “From the Heart”,page 125. πŸ™‚
    It was a several years ago but I remember like yesterday the excitment and thrill of seeing MY ACTUAL NAME in a BOOK!
    I am so proud for you!
    Enjoy it and be sure to be in that bookstore just so you can stand there and look at YOUR book….I did that and felt sort of silly and proud all at once.

2. Ashleigh says:

Oh WOW!!! How exciting! Your happy dance and shameless plug are absolutely, perfectly justified. πŸ˜€ Looking forward to getting my hands on that!

3. Polly says:

Congratulations! I just read the original post. Interesting that you would write about hands. I was looking at my hands today. I will be 40! on Sunday. My hands are beginning to show their age. I too love to look at my babies’ hands. After putting my 7 month old down for a nap today, I realized that half of a lifetime, give or take a decade, really makes a difference.

4. Pastormac's Ann says:

Congratulations Shannon. It really is a lovely lovely story. I imagine this is just the first of many more times that your writing will end up being published. How terrific for you.

5. callie says:

congrats. I am happy for you…. That’s is wonderful I now read someone’s blog that has a comment in the chicken soup books. How cool. Keep the happy dance up. Nothing better that feelin good.

6. Belinda says:

Coming out of “lurking” to say WOW! Congratulations! I just read your entry and wondered, “Why only one?!” You should write the whole book, girl!! I enjoy your blog so much, keep writing!

7. Lynne says:

Congratulations! Your story is beautiful. Even though I’m not a new mom – not by a longshot! – I’ll certainly look for “your” book. Just think, we can all say we knew you when!

8. lori m says:

Congratulations, Shannon! It couldn’t have happened to a better person. And, that was one of my very favorite posts. A real tear-jerker, for sure. Enjoy your time of fame πŸ™‚

9. jen says:

I think that is so cool…I buy these for gifts all the time…I have a friend due in March I’ll have to grab one for and myself of course….way to go girl…you should be very proud. Come see me today..I need some advice…

10. Clemntine says:

Get out of town!
    That so awesomely totally ROCKS! Yayayayayayay for you!
    I dig the Chicken Soup books and give them for gifts fairly frequently. As a lactation consultant, I’m happy there’s one coming out for new moms because I’m always on the lookout for encouraging reads for my clients. I’ll be adding this one to the shelf at the birth center.

11. Jackie says:

This brought tears to my eyes. My son is 15 and letting go of his hand to let him be who he is and will become is one of the hardest things I’ve ever done.
    Congrats on the book!

12. AlissaE says:

i had a scrapbook page published in a magazine once. when i found out, i could barely breathe. i was giddy for two days. now, an actual book… i’d probably wet my pants.
    your post that is being published is perfection. absolute.

13. Goslyn says:

Congrats, Shannon! I am very excited for you. Well done, and well-deserved.
    Keep on shaking that happy boootaaaay. You’ve earned the right to strut a bit.

14. momrn2 says:

Brag on Girlfriend!!! You have every right!!I’m doing the happy dance and being “giddy” with/ for you!! I can’t wait to get my hands on a copy!! πŸ™‚

15. Jenny in Ca says:

oh wow!! Congratulations Shannon!! So very, very cool. Blogger-super-coolness.
    I am really happy for you. And I want to see the video of you at Borders, I know we can count on it being really, really funny.

16. Deena says:

How cool is that?!? I read some of the blogs you ladies post and think, “That should be in a book”…and IT IS!! I’m so happy for you…way to go, sistah!!

17. Gracie Girl says:

Shannon, the original post brought tears to my eyes. You have such a way with words. I wish I knew you in real life.

18. mimi2six says:

You know how proud your dad and I (and all of your English teachers) are of you! You’ve always been an amazing writer. I’m so glad you’re getting to be a honest-to-goodness PUBLISHED writer!!!

19. Shalee says:

What a blessing, Shannon! Congrats on your great addition to a fantastic series.
    Can I have your autograph so that I can say I knew you when?

20. Nicole says:

As one of my favorite children’s book characters, Junie B. Jones, would say, “Wowie wow wow!” Pop the champagne and pass me a glass! It’s wonder-full to see your talent more widly recognized!

21. Heather says:

Congrats!! I’m definitely going to go check it out. And I remember the first time I read that story, I knew it was destined for greatness! Maybe I should be one of their judges. πŸ™‚

22. Meg says:

Congratulations! Your story made me cry πŸ™‚ I can’t wait for the day when I get to hold my own child and dream of those things!

23. Sally says:

I always knew you had a talent for writing beautiful things-not surprised at all, but very, very happy for you!! Congratulations!!

24. Dana says:

Congratulations! That is way cool. While you are standing there gaping at your contribution to the book, are you going to offer to autograph copies to everyone who walks by?
    I was so excited about the first thing I got published in a book. I have read it so many times, I think I have it memorized. Some day, I’ll get to reading the rest…(just kidding, but it did take awhile!)

25. Heather says:

Congratulations! That’s wonderful news — and we’ll all look forward to getting a copy of it and circling your name. We *know* you!
    Seriously, this will be a popular book that would make a great gift for moms to be. Maybe you can send a copy to your OB/GYN and have it sitting in the waiting room for encouragement (an autographed copy of course!) πŸ™‚

26. Jeanette says:

I knew the piece you were refering to before I read your link! Your words are such masterpieces and I thank God I stumbled upon your blog. You have become a part of my everyday life and sometimes I SWEAR you live inside my chaotic, Mommy Mind! Besides being a wife and mother you have truly found your higher calling. Congrats on being published…just know you were already a success to those who follow you.

27. Holy Experience says:

Absolutely DELIGHTED for you, Shannon ~huge grin~! With this TREMENDOUS smile spreading across my face right this minute, I think I will go dance right now for pure JOY for you! Thank you, Lord, for blessings rained down from above!
    ~huge smile~