Works For Me: Green Beans

Wfmwheader_13Over the weekend, we went to a Valentine’s Day party with a big group of friends.  Instead of having it catered, several of us got together, planned the meal, and then each of us were responsible for 40 servings of one item.

Because my friends know me, they knew it was best to assign me something that involved OPENING UP BAGS OF FROZEN FOOD.  So, I was assigned green beans.

Although, if I do say so myself, I make really good green beans–even if they’re so simple it’s almost embarrassing to tell you.  But it’s short and sweet, which is what I need today, since I’m much too busy pulling together the details for a 2nd grade Valentine class party.  Let’s hear it for the homeroom moms, no?

Anyhoo…here’s my green bean trick:  I cook either the frozen variety (Hubs’ favorite) or the canned variety (my favorite) in butter, sugar, chicken broth, and garlic.  And now you’re going to want to know amounts, and I’m horrible at guessing–but for two cans of green beans I’d estimate 3-4 tbsp of butter, 2-3 tbsp of sugar, two chicken bouillon cubes, and 1/2 tsp of garlic.  Plus salt and pepper to taste, of course.  If that doesn’t taste right, it means I’ve guessed wrong, so tweak it until it’s delish.  This is the only green thing my two year old will put in her stubborn little mouth, so these beans make a regular appearance at the Dryer family table.

Have a tip you’d like to share with all of Bloggityville?  Leave your link below.  Guidelines can be found here.

48 thoughts on “Works For Me: Green Beans

1. Nikki says:

Mmm! Sounds wonderful. My children love green beans– but mostly the canned variety. They especially love green bean casserole– you know the kind at Thanksgiving with cream of mushroom soup and French’s fried onions. But I think I’ll try your recipe with our Valentine dinner. Sounds like it would compliment it well.
    Good luck with the 2nd-grader’s Valentine party. Sounds like fun!

2. Myfriendconnie says:

Thanks, Shannon! I like canned green beans with a little bacon grease and bits of ham I have saved in the freezer. Have you seen the “Bacon Grease” warning going around? (snicker, snort)

3. Barbara H. says:

I’ll have to try that. I serve green beans fairly often because they are easy, but nobody is crazy about them. Dressing it up a little might help.
    Thanks again for hosting this!

4. Dakrat says:

That sounds like a delicious way to eat green beans. I remember when I was growing up having to go out in the garden every morning to pull weeds; and once the veggies were ready to pick, spending hours going through rows and rows of beans to find the ones big enough to pick. But it was all worth it when my mom would sautΓ© up fresh green beans with butter and onions. Yum.

5. An Ordinary Mom says:

My little two year old will eat green beans straight out of the can for now. However, I will have to file away this tip for when he decides not to like them anymore πŸ™‚ !!

6. Annette says:

Makes me wonder if my boyo would like beans done up that way. He used to love beans but lately is refusing them… wonder if it is taste or texture. Doing them up this way would probably answer that question. Thanks.

7. rachel says:

oooh – good tip. so far my kids love them fresh & steamed or fresh & roasted, but this sounds like a cool way to try serving frozen, which would save me a bit of $!
    my tip this week is about keeping track of the 8 zillion library books we take out each week.

8. Goslyn says:

Wow, I’ll have to try your recipe. We always eat green bean plain – either right out of the can or gently steamed if frozen. This might be a great change of pace.

9. Jan says:

Ooohhh that sounds yummy! I usually do green beans with a hunk of bacon and some chopped onion. I love garlic, so I will be trying this.

10. Melene says:

That sounds good. I usually cook mine in safflower oil-my Granny’s way of cooking them. And on low heat for awhile.
    I went back in time for my WFMW tip today, but I didn’t want to skip a week after participating for the last two! πŸ™‚

11. Alli says:

Ah, I just did my first WFMW and I messed up. I did the Mr. Linky, but forgot to put what my post was about. ANd now I don’t know if I can fix it! ARG!
    Anyway, it’s about reusing yogurt cups. Exciting stuff, lemme tell ya.
    The recipe sounds great! I’ll try it next time I make them. Green beans have gotten boring around here.

12. The Preachers Wife says:

I use the exact same method but with Allens canned green beans, small white new potatoes, and beef buillion cubes instead of stock. Left a linky for excellent hot fudge cake…It is a hit everywhere I take it!

13. Amy says:

These sound delicious. I am not a big fan of canned green beans, but I am willing to give these a try since you made them sound so good!
    My post is up. I apologize that it wasn’t up today and I accidentally posted it yesterday. We have been cooped up for a few days and I am losing track of days πŸ˜‰

14. Paulette1958 says:

Hmmmn I’ll bet my kids would eat them if I added sugar!! But since we do not eat sugar (we are eating healthy sigh) in our home I made them with the bullion, smart balance butter and garlic and they were yummy, My favorite used to be the bacon grease but no more of that either. Thanks for sharing Shannon

15. Melanie says:

I use 2 chicken bouillions instead of the broth. Also, if you use canned beans, you can drain the juice from the can and add fresh water. It cuts down on the sodium.
    Butter- a MUST! :>)

16. Anita says:

I do the SAME thing w/ my green beans, except for the sugar, I use brown sugar and add a few bacon bits if I have them. It make a caramelly(word?) and salty taste together-DELISH! It’s the only way my family will eat them- I tried making them “plain” the other day, and let’s just say I had a lot of leftovers!

17. Beth F. says:

You know, I read your recipe last night and I have to tell you…I’ve been thinking about it all day…even during breakfast. You can bet I’ll be trying it out! THANK YOU!

18. proverbs31 says:

Hmm. I’ll have to try that the next time I make green beans, they sound delicious! My kids eat them ok, but hubby just tolerates them. Maybe he’ll like them better this way. πŸ™‚

19. ExPat Chef says:

Try roasting the green beans, fresh ones, not canned.
    Roasted Green Beans
    1 lb. fresh green beans
    2 tbs. olive oil
    1 tbs. Balsamic vinegar
    kosher or sea salt to taste
    Preheat oven to 400Β° or use 350Β° Convection roast if you have a convection oven. Toss green beans with the oil and vinegar and spread them out on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with coarse salt. Roast in oven for about 15 minutes, watching carefully to be sure they do not over-brown. Look for nice golden brown color in patches
    It’s like popcorn-addictive salty good.
    My recipe is on my site here:
    You can find a lot of other toddler-friendly but healthy recipes there.

20. Sally says:

I hate to cook, so any recipe that requires very little effort and very few ingredients is definitely for me!! I can’t wait to try this!! I laughed when you said your friends know you so they assign you recipes that require opening bags of frozen food!! That’s exactly what my friends would do with me, too!!

21. Jenny D says:

I’m gonna give this a try, but I have a silly question. Do you drain the beans or add those ingredients to the juice? Thanks!