Works For Me: Baby Oil *UPDATED*

Wfmwheader_14

We’re home-again-home-again-jiggety-jig after a very refreshing and blog-fodder filled mini-vacation (have you ever seen so many hypens in one sentence?)  I’ll post about it in a day or two, when I can find my way out from under my backed-up to-do list.  Anyone want to guess where we went?  Hints: our particular destination is within a three-hour driving distance of Oklahoma, and it has a lot of…um, personality

Okay, on to WFMW…

You handful of male readers might want to skip this one, unless you shave your legs, in which case may I tell you that you have seriously stumbled onto the wrong blog?

So.

You know what I really, really loathe?  When you shave your legs in the winter time and they get all chill-bumpy the minute you step out of the shower.  And then, when you go to apply your moisturizer, it’s like applying lotion to sandpaper.  Miserable

BUT, if you keep baby oil in your shower and apply it to your legs immediately after you shave (while still in the shower), you step out already moisturized.  AND, strangely enough, I don’t get the chill bumps when I’ve done this.  AND even better, I’m saving a fortune by not buying expensive moisturizers.  The baby oil works better than anything I’ve used.

*UPDATED TO ADD* To answer your questions you left in the comment section, no, the oil doesn’t make me too "greasy".  I apply it in the shower immediately after shaving, rinse it off, and I’ve never had any trouble with it getting on clothes or furniture.  Just try not to spill any on the shower floor, or you could slip!  πŸ˜‰

Have a tip you’d like to share with all of bloggityville?  Leave your link below.  Guidelines can be found here.

69 thoughts on “Works For Me: Baby Oil *UPDATED*

1. Joyful Days says:

Baby oil is not terribly expensive, either & I like the lavender scented stuff.
    Glad you’re all back safe.
    Taking a shot at playing WFMW for the first time.
    Thanks, Shannon!

2. proverbs31 says:

Hey, cool! I never thought about that! πŸ™‚ I have that baby oil gel, wonder if that works just as good? πŸ™‚ And it smells like lavendar which is just absolutely wonderful. πŸ™‚

3. smcarney says:

Good idea! Hubbers shaved his head tonight for “shock value”. The next time he does this (and complains about how it hurts), I’ll tell him your tip.
    Do you find that it gets harder to come up with cool ideas? Seems like every time I get thinking on it, I pick one that someone else has already chosen. Shoot…

4. Myfriendconnie says:

Thanks Shannon,
    Uuuuuugh! I did it again! My second link works, the first… not so much. Sorry!!
    I hope you had a fun mini-vacation. We went to a dude ranch 3 hours from “The City,” but it didn’t have an indoor water park, so I’m guessing that’s not where you went.

5. Jessica says:

What a great idea – I never used the baby oil I got at my showers for my babies, but now I know what to do with it!
    peace of Christ to you,
    Jessica

6. Susan says:

Great tip; too bad I read this. Now I don’t have a reason for not shaving. I’m out of moisterizer but the oil’s in the closet. πŸ™‚

7. Kaye Zing Things says:

I nearly killed my husband doing this as I felt too yummy to clean the shower afterwards. He showered later and slipped spectacularly, but thankfully, lived to curse me roundly!

8. Emily says:

Baby Oil also works great on your finger nails. After you cut and file them put a little on and it looks like you polished them with clear polish.

9. Amy Jane says:

Hmmm– I must not shave my legs often enough… or maybe I’ve never shaved and lotioned my legs in the same day.
    I hadn’t thought of the difficulty you brought up. But it does sound pretty clever.

10. tas says:

Wait. We’re susposed to shave in the winter?? I use mine as extra insulation. It’s get to about -40*C here!!!!

11. Jill says:

I am totally going to try this. I have brain lapse when it comes to moisturizing any part of my body other than my face once I get out of the shower. If I moisturize IN the shower, it’s one less thing I have to worry about. You’re a genius!

12. MommaBlogger says:

I like this idea. Maybe it will even work for me. I don’t get very far with moisturizers. They just disappear on me and it’s just a waste of cash at that point.

13. Goslyn says:

That’s a great idea. I have an oily salt scrub that I often use that does the same thing, but I’m thinking the baby oil would be even easier.
    Welcome home!

14. Becky says:

Great tip! I used to use baby oil immediately after my showers/baths. I haven’t done so in awhile and really, really need to get back into the habit! Thanks for reminding me! Have a great day! Glad you enjoyed your much-needed vacation. I much-need a vacation too! πŸ™‚

15. The Preachers Wife says:

I know it sounds overdone, but chore charts for my 4 kids have revolutionized my home over the past 2 weeks. We post on the refrigerator, make them check off each day, pay at the end of the week. Discretions cost $0.25 a piece. I’m loving it and my house is so much cleaner! 5 against 1 are horrible odds!

16. Merci says:

When I read about you taking your mini vacation I told dh I already knew where you were heading LOL! We’ve been there and it’s great fun. Indoor water park? Amazing (and great for February!) and it wasn’t too bad for the summer time when we went and it was pouring down rain outside but still, we got to have our water park goodness. Glad you enjoyed your break!

17. Heather L. says:

Fabulous idea! That’s one of the reasons I hate to shave in the winter. It seems like the hair grows back instantly when you step out of the shower. Thanks for sharing and hosting!

18. An Iowa Mom says:

What a great idea … I’m going to try it tomorrow … or better yet, maybe treat myself to a long, hot, shower tonight while hubby looks after the kiddos. Yeah … that sounds great!
    Thanks for the tip!

19. Mary Ann says:

My first thought was Branson and I see that others guessed that destination, too. I love baby oil too, but always end up slipping and falling myself, the next day!!!!!

20. Brandy says:

I’m glad your trip went well. Welcome back.
    I never thought of baby oil in the shower. I shave with water and Dove soap which has rich moisturizer in it, and when I get out of the shower, I apply clear aloe gel to my legs. Aloe protects skin against bacteria. For the first time ever, I have smooth legs. πŸ™‚
    Brandy of The Building Brows

21. Jenelle says:

Thanks for the tip. Like using baby oil… I use the Johnsons baby lotion (or the Walmart generic version called equate) that comes in the pink bottle. I think it works the best. It’s not only for babies πŸ™‚

22. Barbara H. says:

That sounds wonderful — I get so dry — but I have always been afraid of getting too greasy and messing up clothes and furniture and such. I tale it that doesn’t happen, or it soaks in quickly, or you rinse it off before getting out of the shower?

23. Annie says:

I’m wondering if it would cure the winter-itchy legs syndrome that I tend to get when I do my weekly shave (yes, I’m lazy, I know). I think I might try it on shower day this week. ;o)

24. mopsy says:

Oooohhhh…recently, on total impulse, I bought a bottle of Burt’s Bee’s apricot baby oil. Since the moment I brought it home I’ve been wondering why—I haven’t had a clue what to do with it (I never used/use baby oil with actual babies).
    Now I know.

25. Azul says:

Burt’s Bees Apricot Baby oil is great. I buy it ‘for Chico,’ but I use it on myself just as much.
    The Apricot oil gives is a yummy scent, not at all like that ‘Baby Powder’ scent of most baby oils. It’s also mineral oil free, great for people with eczema or allergies to mineral oil. That’s the reason we started using it.

26. Lani from The Wooden Porch says:

I’ll have to try that one!
    Know what also works well on my ultra dry skin? A squirt of regular lotion with a dab of baby oil gel. Rub it in together and you get the benefit of the oil without so much of the mess. It works wonders on dry feet!

27. Girl Gone Wild says:

Oh man…Nothing screams personality like Branson. I should know…it’s in my backyard. Tried out the indoor waterpark recently and the lazy pool had so much chlorine in it, we were ‘rashed’ for days! Can’t wait for Spring to enjoy some ‘Steal Your Dollar Hollar’ Hope you had fun!

28. Amberly says:

Great idea! I tried it this morning, but I used the baby oil gel instead of the regular oil. I hadn’t read the update, so I didn’t wash it off, but it was fine. Thanks!

29. Carrie J says:

Ooops! I posted on the wrong week! Sorry! With 2 daughters baby oil is in every bathroom in our home. We use it as a make up remover, to shave legs and moisturize feet (wear socks to bed) at night.
    Carrie

30. Reformed Grits says:

Oh my stars I wrote about shaving my legs today… I HATE shaving my legs. That is the only thing that makes me want to move to another country so I could happily grow leg locks without fear of what would happen if the paramedics came…

31. Emily says:

Now that I can reach my legs again, (no more baby tummy in the way!) maybe I’ll have to start shaving them again. πŸ˜‰ Thanks for the tip!

32. J. Fergie says:

Great tip Shannon! I’ve been doing this for years. Here’s a variation: Instead of using the regular baby oil, try using the baby oil gel — no greasy mess and you don’t have to worry about slipping in any excess.
    Happy Hump Day!

33. Alexandra says:

I’ve linked…great ideas! It’s taking me a few days to read them, so much more to read!
    For super dry skin, like on the feet, I use olive oil. I put it on at night and cover my feet with socks. I actually used it on my toddler, and it worked better than the baby oil.

34. Sarah says:

I did not read all of the comments, but my guess is definitely BRANSON!!!!! It has to be. It has….umm….personality πŸ™‚ LOL!

35. edj says:

Here in the desert, I often get really dry skin. What I do is apply the baby oil to my body while still wet and then towel off. I’m not greasy, and it really helps fight the dry itchies so prevalent. If I do it every day, it helps prevent it too.

36. Natalija says:

That’s a great idea. I myself have been putting some kind of oil (usually olive oil, since I use it for cleaning my face) on the dryest parts of my body right after showering (while wet) and it has helped a lot.
    But I have a question about WFWM. I wanted to join and read your guidelines. But I am confused about the logo. You say to use the one in the guidelines and yet I see another picture in your post and some others. Could you please clarify which is the correct one? Thank you.

37. Jenny says:

I tried this out and it works like a charm. If you have trouble with the sippery floor, try that new Clean Shower sprayer. I turn that on after the shower and it cuts right through the oil.