Brotherly Love

Five-year-old Joseph was feeling a bit picked on during the bus ride home today.  Big brother Stephen and I listened closely as he told us the details.  When Joseph finished, Stephen leaned in, put his hand on Joseph’s shoulder and said (in all kindness and sincerity), "Don’t worry.  If it happens again, I’ll bully him just as bad as I bully you."

I’d say this proves the age-old notion of brotherhood that I-can-pick-on-him-but-no-one-else-can.

11 thoughts on “Brotherly Love

1. Stacey says:

That is too cute! I love the way brothers talk to each other sometimes : )
    I’m going to have to get some advice from you soon about what to do with three little guys running around. Is it crazy??

2. Shauna says:

Sibling bonds are funny sometimes. I was always the nerdy runt of the class all through school, but somehow I managed to get into a physical fight with a female bully while standing up for my younger sister, even though my Mom was always breaking up OUR fights.

3. Growing in Grace says:

It’s funny ’cause as soon as my daughter starts feeling protective she starts referring to her sibling as “her brother”, as in “don’t do that to my brother”. Otherwise she can attack him like nobody’s business.

4. MrsLady says:

I think it’s hilarious [and great] how kids work together. My step sister and I had the same bond that your post recognizes. At home we were horrible to eachother, but WOE-WOE and MISERY-to the person outside the family that would pick on the other one.
    Sometimes sibling relationships are too complicated to even try to figure out, but they are always nice to have!

5. Kara says:

That’s cute πŸ™‚ It’s so true too, I loved picking on my little bros and sis’ but heaven help the bully who tried to hurt them!

6. Shalee says:

Ahhhhhh… Brotherly love at its best! That, dear Shannon, was actually Stephen’s wonderful way of saying “I love you.” I would be so delighted if my two would do that for each other too.