Sugar and Spice and Occasionally Nice

Someday, when I am old and gray, may I remember that today was the day my little daughter woke up in her bed singing "Wa-a-ake up…wa-a-ake up…", her sweet little voice flowing over the baby monitor and into the very deepest part of my heart.

And may I not remember that today is also the day she, at lunchtime, threw a cheeseburger at my face.

19 thoughts on “Sugar and Spice and Occasionally Nice

1. julie says:

Oh, I love it when those first little words come over the baby monitor. I also totally agree with you about daylight savings time. The spirng has returned to my step, the best time of the year is here.

2. Melanie says:

The roller coaster ride of motherhood is just labor over and over again. The flesh tearing pain followed by “Ahhh, isn’t she beautful?”

3. Parent Wonder says:

I can’t wait for the day to happen as I’m always the one who wakes up my daughter… not the other way round. And of course, without the chesseburger.

4. Jane says:

Sorry, all I can think of is the old lady, “Where’s the beef?”
    or
    Maybe she just wanted to “Have it her way!”
    No matter, all these little family stories…
    “i’m love’n it” Da, da, dot, da, dah!

5. Tara says:

Passed this gem on to my friends at MOPS. Thanks! 🙂 (I did of course link them back to you.) Oh, and on a side note, if you’re really as much of a fan of English as you say, you’ll LOVE Eats, Shoots and Leaves. 🙂

6. Sally says:

Just wait until she is a teenager!!!! That is what I am dealing with now!! My sweet little girls now know absolutely everything and I don’t!!

7. Jenny in Ca says:

the first part of your post had me smiling at the sheer sweetness of such a moment. Then, you had me cracking up over the lunchtime scene. Our lives are a mixture of the profound and ridiculous. thanks for the good laugh, I will be thinking about this today.

8. Romie says:

I love it – MLO doesn’t sing it, but she sort of hums it (from It’s a Big Big World, right).
    Haven’t gotten any food in the face yet – but at other body parts 🙂

9. nspiredbyfaith says:

I was totally doing the ahhhhh the first part was soo sweet…then flying burger! too funny!!Don’t you wish that sometimes adults could totally express themselves that way? Just give it up and go with the flow! lol! could be dangerous!