It’s Nice To Be Understood

DietcokeWe were running late for church Sunday morning, so late that I didn’t have time for my morning injection of caffeine can of Diet Coke.  That is a dangerous way for me to start my day, and I grumbled about it as we climbed into the car.

Fast forward to after church, when I scolded nine-year-old Adam for something I thought he had done, only to learn it was his brother who was the criminal in question.  I quickly apologized for jumping to conclusions.  Adam flashed me a mischievous grin.

"It’s okay, Mom," he said with exaggerated sympathy.  "I know you have anger-management issues when you don’t get your Diet Coke in the morning."

That little stinker.

That little absolutely right stinker.

40 thoughts on “It’s Nice To Be Understood

1. Circus Mom says:

That sounds like something my kids would say, and for the exact same reason. I must have my morning Diet Coke, or things are bound to get a little….hairy.

2. Jenny in Ca says:

you too?! I have to have a diet coke in the morning…a common sight is me herding the kids out to the van, me-clutching my glass of diet coke (it has to be in a glass with ice) and balancing a muffin or bagel on top of the glass…to gobble down in the car. If mom doesn’t have her carbs and diet coke, ain’t nobody happy!
    cheers! let’s clink glasses over that.

3. Eliza says:

hehe, sounds like your little man knows his momma. My son, who is also nine states stuff like that all the time. That or asks, “Mom, do ya need some sugar?” He knows when I don’t have sugar/chocolate I get the shakes and very irratated. πŸ™‚

4. Jana says:

It is too funny that he use the phrase “anger management issues” πŸ™‚ Sounds just like something my 9 year old nephew would say.

5. deborah says:

I really don’t want to burst your liver, kidneys or b;ubble; because, well, I’ve got my jo in the am. however, google formaldehied and aspartame. not a great blend. I’m so sorry.

6. An Iowa Mom says:

I’m right there with you … with both needing a pop fix first thing in the morning AND with having an almost 9 year old (10 more days, ouch!) who calls me on almost inappropriate action I take and telling me WHY I did what I did.
    Sigh! They know and understand too much these days!
    Gotta go refill my pop … have a great day!

7. Jane says:

“I’d like to buy the world a (diet) coke and keep it company. That’s the song I sing….”
    Now that’s a peaceful image, a bunch of hippies sitting in a field singing about my “drug of choice.”
    You always manage to keep an endless stream of slogans going through my head.

8. mel says:

is that really the example that you all want to pass on to your kids…is how you can’t live without your caffeine?
    I’d much rather have a reputation that I can’t live without my God-time in the morning, rather than caffeine!

9. Dawn says:

Yay – another diet pop in the morning person (there’s not many of us, I’ve found!) Of course, I prefer Diet Pepsi, but I’m willing to set aside our differences and bond together anyway! I can’t believe the number of strange looks I’ve gotten at church walking around with my diet Pepsi instead of coffee like everyone else! (And I’d just like to say that they’ve identified 70 different carcinogens in coffee, so can’t complain about a little aspartame!)
    Ahh…off to take a sip…

10. Sally says:

Regular Coke for me-got to have the sugar AND the caffeine!! I also love chocolate and eat it daily!! And yes, kids always notice everything we do that we shouldn’t, and never fail to point it out!!

11. Becky says:

That is hilarious!!! Why is it we are always running late for Church? I never have understood that, but I see so many others who have the same problem! We were running late Sunday and my hubby couldn’t make it…I was dropping the little one off and wouldn’t you know he threw a fit! Figures. Oh well…better late than never! πŸ™‚

12. Linda says:

LOL!! I have to have PEPSI (the LEADED kind)Don’t give me DIET!
    If I don’t have one when I wake up you know it’s gonna be a baaaaaad day.
    Linda

13. aj says:

Sadly. I must have two cups of coffee. Then I chase it will my Diet Coke. And promptly at 2 in the afternoon, I screech ‘happy hour!’ and pop open another Diet Coke.
    How did our grandmthers live without it!

14. Carrie says:

What is it with 9 year olds? Mine would’ve said the same exact thing.
    And those of us who “get it” know that we’re not passing on the message that we can’t live without our soda; we’re passing on the message that when we screw up, we admit it and apologize.

15. Sarah's in the Midst of It says:

Sounds like Mel could’ve used some diet Coke herself this morning before she left you a snarky comment. At least she used her name, though instead of hiding behind “Anonymous.”
    πŸ™‚ I’m on a roll now. Feel free to delete this comment!! πŸ™‚

16. Deena says:

Ahhh, a kindred spirit LOL!! You need to read my Talk to me Tuesday blog today…I think you’d be able to appreciate it!

17. Lucy says:

I’m that way with coffee in the morning. My kids aren’t old enough to know yet why I’m crabby Sunday mornings. We’re Orthodox, so we (adults) don’t eat anything or drink coffee or soda before church. But Hubs and I bring Diet Coke in the car so as soon as we’re out of church, we start chugging! My soul is saved and healed by the Body and Blood of Christ, but my mood is rescued by ye olde shot o’caffeine!

18. mysocalledperfectlife says:

I gasped and then giggled, this is so my life! We have to drive two cars to church and DH pulls up next to me and we’re both guzzling down our sodas. The days I forget to grab one for the drive is usually the day my head pounds through all of Sunday School!

19. Paige says:

Oh, it’s sad when our little ones know us (and our faults or addictions) so well. I personally need my diet coke at lunch, which is also before church. Of course, Sunday I taught the lesson in RS and therefore needed 2 of the blessed brown liquid from a can.

20. Jenny says:

oh now that is FUNNY! Isn’t it just amazing how they pick up on such things about us?? You had to have laughed, just a little bit, right?? Too cute!

21. Bob says:

It’s nice if your kid knows you that much. Understanding your situation means a better relationship with them. Every person has a threshold point and must be identified by those who are close to you to avoid misunderstanding

22. Danni says:

That’s funny. He really knows his mother. It’s only a matter of years when he knows you all well. That will even be more funny.