Bliss

Later this morning, my Hubs and I will climb into a car, just the two of us, and take an eight-hour road trip.  Just the two of us.  For four whole days.  Did I mention it would be just the two of us?

We don’t get away like this very often, so when we do, it’s a treasure.  I’ll have a report of where we went when I get back–we’re going somewhere lovely and fancy and grown-up.  In the meantime, I’ll be away from the computer for a few days as I spend some time with this man ‘o mine.

"Do you want to do anything special on our trip?" my thoughtful man asked me.  He meant concerts or plays or side trips to new sights.

What do I want to do?

I want to talk and talk and laugh and talk with my husband until we’re hoarse.

I want to stop at a convenience store and not have to take little bodies to the potty or argue about what movie we’re watching next.

I want to order room service.

I want to go dancing.

I want to wear the fantastic dress and strappy heels I bought, just for the occasion.

I want to eat at a restaurant without a playplace and not have to cut up anyone’s food but my own.

I want to read from the stack of books I’m taking, uninterruped.

I want to do some, ahem, other things, uninterruped.

And OH-for-the-love-of-all-that-is-good-and-quiet, I want to NAP.

I’ll do all those things in the next few days, and I can hardly wait.  Y’all be good while I’m gone.

48 thoughts on “Bliss

1. Toblerone says:

Sounds so nice! My DH and I went away for four days just before we moved, and ohmygoodness, it was miraculous! Really. I had no idea how much different it would be to have total adult time for that long – I almost didn’t know what to do with myself. So enjoy… It is so worth it! I think we’re going to try our darndest to do this annually.
    Oh, and a fun side effect… You’re dying to see your kiddos when the trip is over! I was shocked how much I missed our daughter.

2. becky says:

You and Mr. Dryer have a lovely time! My dh and I did such a thing (although not so far away, and not as long of a trip, but it was far enough!) just a few weekends ago. It was heavenly to walk hand in hand down the cobblestone street and “reintroduce” ourselves, as it has been since before the birth of our first, about 10 years, since we’ve gotten away together.
    Enjoy every quiet moment of it!
    πŸ˜€
    beck

3. ~DanaB~ says:

Oh, have mercy, you’re going to have FUN! It takes more than one day away to really achieve deep nap-worthy relaxtion. Enjoy, we’ll look forward to hearing about a few details!
    ~~

4. Eliza says:

Have a fun time! Sounds like you’ll have a blast and will do all the things us MOMS dream of doing…uninterrupted. πŸ™‚

5. elizabeth says:

HEY! We are leaving this morning to go on an 8 hour road trip, too. Feel free to borrow our children if you need to- we will slow and let them jump from our car into yours:-)

6. peach says:

Have a marvelous time!! Tell us all about it when you return . . . well, the G-rated parts, you know : )
    Thanks for dropping by and being my first friend to entertain this morning.

7. Jennifer says:

I hope you have the time of your lives! How wonderful to get away for some alone time. It’s amazing how that can recharge a mom! Hope you get lots of relaxing, as well as all the other things you want done!!

8. Sandy says:

You are my kinda girl! It all sounds heavenly. I love my husband … and alone time with him! We have a blast together traveling, even for a one-nighter!

9. Shalee says:

I want you to have a great time and *ahem* like you’re newlyweds again – without all the fluster and embarrassment, of course.
    Oh dancing… There’s a great idea!

10. Jenny D says:

Sounds fabulous, Shannon!! I hope that you and your husband have a wonderful time and come home refreshed! ENJOY!!!!

11. Jenny Beth Walker says:

Oh glory delight! I am about to get away myself…on a little bit of a different trip. But away all the same.
    Wanted you to know that my sister-in-law and I implemented one of your works for me Weds. as we held the first anual Happy Spring Egg Hunt. It was a HUGE success. She had a brilliant idea of color coding the eggs (my son hunted for blue, although he did get sidetracked by the yellow- let’s hope color blind, not an egg thief).
    We GREATLY appreciate you sharing this idea. It truely is a great way to enjoy all things spring and then be able to focus on the true meaning of Easter.
    Enjoy your time away!

12. a suburban housewife says:

Well, you may not have to cut up your children’s food, but I bet you cut your own meat up before you eat!! Just an occupational hazard of motherhood. Enjoy your, ahem, “other things” uninterrupted too!!

13. Blessed Beyond Measure says:

I still remember one of our pastors telling us one of the best things we could do for our marriage was to go away, alone, at least once a year. Good for you – hope it’s wonderful. We’re actually skipping away too this weekend. It’s been too long, and we dont even have kids at home, but the pets, laundry, bills and phone are still getting in the way. xoxo

14. Mandalyn says:

I so relate to this! I am the mother to two girls, a 2 year old and 6 month old. My husband and I try our best to find time for ourselves to do the same things! Those times certainly make me a better wife and mom!

15. Salvina says:

Hi – hope you had a good time!! I was in Brisbane for 5 days, but the baby tagged along. So am planning a little get-away without him soon.