Odd Blessings

This post was originally published on Feburary 28, 2006.

Each night at bedtime, before we say prayers with our kids, we sing the Doxology together.  If you aren’t familiar with it, the words begin, "Praise God from whom all blessings flow…"  But last night, I listened to my children sing it and realized that all this time my seven-year-old son has been singing it, "Praise God from whom ODD blessings flow…"

I suppressed a giggle and came downstairs to tell Hubs about it.  Though the more I thought about it, the more I realized there’s some good theology in his little slip-up.  Praise God for the odd blessings–the ones that sneak up on us, the ones that don’t even look like blessings until they’re long past us.   Praise Him for the mixed bag, the curvy road, the speed bumps of life.  Sometimes the odd blessings are the best ones.

18 thoughts on “Odd Blessings

1. Cheri says:

Oh – I love it. Sometimes we have the greatest AH HA moments when we least expect it.
    Hope you’re having a great get away!

2. Mrs. Pear says:

Oh, too funny.
    But the more I think about it, the more I think you have a budding theologian on your hands.
    The odd blessings are the ones that make us stronger, help us understand the Lord better, and ultimately move us along in our spiritual growth and maturity.
    I look forward to seeing the Dryer book of theology in about 25 years (plenty of time to get it all straight and finish seminary…..)
    The other thought was – oh, those are the moments God gives us to make us laugh, to teach us, and to show us that our kids are getting it! So what if it was a simple misunderstood word, he still gets it!

3. Kacey says:

It was Art Linkletter who said, “Kids say the darndest things”. I think they also say the best things, if we were to listen closely.

4. Kristi says:

When my now 9 year old daughter was little, she called the Doxology, “Roly Poly Ghost”. She watched Rolie Polie Olie and got the titles confused. Really cute.

5. Sandy says:

Amen, sister! Our kids say the funniest things. And I just know God has the biggest sense of humor!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Come on over and see what you can win 🙂

6. Daniel Donahoo says:

A fine post, thanks for giving it another run.
    It fits well with many ideas I’ve been thinking about…how do we support our children and ourselves to realise that life isn’t perfect – but that the imperfection deserves celebration…”odd blessings” seem to be a good answer.

7. Ann Kroeker says:

I think it was Flannery O’Connor who once played around with a famous verse from the book of John to say, “You shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you odd.”
    But I like your application better–that events in our life that may seem odd may indeed be the very things that ultimately bless us.
    And a little child shall lead them….

8. edj says:

Hmm…I remember Abel reciting his memory verse…you know the one about how God so loved the world he gave his only forgotten son?
    Kids are so fun.

9. Mommy Dearest says:

I like that! Apparently when my dad was a child and he sang The Lord’s Prayer, he would sing, “and deliver us from eagles.” It made sense to him because he had heard that an eagle could swoop down and carry away a child!

10. Angie says:

I love this!
    Our seven year old has taken to reciting our dinner prayer for us (for the past year or two, actually). Anyway — one line is,
    “That to us, our food be blessed” and he says, “That to us, awfully blessed.” I think we tried to correct him the first few times, but then I realized — it made me smile every single time he said it. It’s true, we ARE awfully blessed.
    Aren’t kids the best?