Where We Went and What We Did

I’m home and rested and chock full of blog fodder from my wonderful weekend in Austin, TX with Hubs.

We headed south Thursday morning and spent the afternoon and night in Dallas.  Our hotel was perfectly nice, except it was hosting (I couldn’t make this up if I tried) a convention for Scottie dog owners.  It turns out that if someone is a devoted enough dog owner to attend a national convention, he’s devoted enough to bring his dog with him.  So there we were, on our first getaway in ages, in a hotel full of DOGS.  Always one to turn lemons into lemonade, Hubs kept me entertained by barking every time we walked down the hall, setting off a chorus of barks in the neighboring rooms.

I love that man.

We left Dallas Friday morning, heading further south to Austin.  We were there for the wedding festivities of a close family friend.  We stayed at a gorgeous hotel, just steps away from the University of Texas ("in the belly of the beast" my UT-loathing Hubs kept muttering under his breath).  Here’s a picture of where we stayed (it was straight out of Southern Living):

Front_2

It was the kind of place with his-and-her robes hanging in the bathroom, bazillion-thread-count sheets and a view like this from the balcony of our room:

View_from_balcony

Here are some more pictures (and I swear I’m not rubbing it in, it’s just that we so seldom stay in hotels that aren’t, you know, next to a Shoney’s, I thought I should commemorate the occasion for posterity):

Stairs

Veranda

Courtyard

As I said, we were there for a wedding.  We spent plenty of time R&R-ing just the two of us, but we did some celebrating with friends as well.  Friday night was the rehearsal dinner, held at a place which (we were told) is a hang-out of Matthew McConaughey’s.  We two-stepped and boot-scooted and Cotton-Eyed-Joed until our feet hurt.  Here’s a photo of Hubs and me all dressed up for the occasion (and no, we’re not so dorky that we walk around Texas dressed like cowboys; it’s how the invitation told us to dress):

Westernblur

Those fabulous boots I’m wearing were on loan from the ever-stylish Chilihead.

Saturday morning we had Tex Mex for BREAKFAST (they do that in Texas, evidently) and then did a little sight-seeing.  Undoubtedly, the funniest part was a walk through the flagship Whole Foods store–I have never seen such organic-ness in all my born days.  They had organic jelly beans, tampons and dogfood.  ("Why do dogs need organic food?  Don’t they eat their own poop?" Hubs asked.)  Actually, the observations of my conservative, no-nonsense, Republican husband were hilariously priceless.  We walked through the courtyard (yes! a grocery store with a courtyard, which should tell you something) among all the folks eating their hummus, wearing "Give Peace a Chance" shirts.  Hubs told me he was resisting the urge to plop down next to them wearing a Haliburton t-shirt and chugging a Budweiser.

Have I mentioned how hard this man makes me laugh?

Saturday night’s wedding was breathtaking and romantic and gorgeous under the open Texas sky.  I had many mushy wedding thoughts, but they’re all worthy of a blog post of their own, so I’ll save that for a later date.

There’s a lot more I could tell you (like my leisurely to visit to the mothership The Container Store; or the four–yes, FOUR–adorable skirts I found at my new favorite clothing store; or the gorgeous hotel tile-work I’m trying to figure out how to replicate in my kitchen; etc. etc. etc.) but this is much too long already.  Here’s the nutshell version for those of you who skimmed to the last paragraph (and I don’t blame you):  fun time, awesome Hubs, long naps, good shoes.  The End.

50 thoughts on “Where We Went and What We Did

1. Jenny in Ca says:

who would skim?! Loved the pictures! And your husband sounds priceless, the barking part had me laughing. I have never taken my husband to whole foods with me, I think his head would explode…
    are you going to show us a pic of the tile work?? my curiosity is up now.
    Sounds like a really nice trip, glad you shared.

2. Beth/Mom2TwoVikings says:

Our husbands must twins separated at birth! LOL Mine would have done exactly the same things and he’s from Michigan’s Upper Peninsula! Must be a “man thing”! *wink*
    Can’t wait to hear about your further adventures…it sounds wonderful!

3. Kari says:

WOW! That place is gorgeous…what a lovely “getaway” for you two! And those cowboy/cowgirl outfits…too stinking cute. 🙂 Maybe you should pull them out more often? Ha! Glad you had a good time together!!

4. Jeana says:

Oh wow, that sounds fun! I think I would like hubs almost as much as I like you.
    And don’t worry, since the weekend was all romanticular I’ll totally forgive you practically walking across my front porch without stopping to say hello. This time.

5. Antique Mommy says:

Aaah! There’s no place like Texas, eh? Where else can you get Scottie dogs, Tara-style hotels, great shopping of all varieties and jalapenos on your scrambled eggs all in one trip? And you can dress as ridiculous as you want and no one will blink.
    Given the circumstances I will not be offended that you did not stop by to see me.

6. Ruth says:

So glad that you had fun in my adopted hometown, and that everyone was friendly. We’ve never stayed at that hotel, but we did have an anniversary dinner there, and WOW was it good. Y’all look so cute! Come back and visit again soon!

7. the Butler's wife says:

I think you look great. Both of you. And I’m not from Texas. Sounds like a WONDERFUL time which I am sure you deserved since you’ll be doin’ your time soon 🙂

8. Chilihead says:

OK, YOU can wear a skirt with boots! You look awesome! It sounds like a most incredible vacation. I’m so glad you had a fun, relaxing time. Glad you’re home, though! 😉

9. Viscountess says:

Your husband should meet my husband. He once broke up an argument of pious “Know everything” seminarians with “Personally, the idea of thermo-nuclear warfare excites me.”

10. Lori says:

OH my goodness, I have to know the name of that hotel! Seems like we end up in a hotel in Austin every couple of years, and I would sure love to end up in that one next time!
    Sounds like you guys had a wonderful time; can’t wait to hear more about it!

11. Catherine says:

I’m with Lori – please share the name of that hotel! It looks FABULOUS! And I really like your skirt with boots look! Where did you find the skirt?

12. boomama says:

Would you please convey my congratulations to Mr. Rocks for LETTING YOU PUT HIS PICTURE ON THE INTERWEB?
    He’s totally going to start a blog of his own soon. 🙂
    And the pictures are oh-so-gorgeous – and y’all look adorable – and please send me the link for where you found the cute skirts because if you bought four skirts in Anthropologie I AM GOING TO CRY.

13. Toblerone says:

Aaaaaaah! You have NO IDEA how fun it is to see photos of my hometown, Shannon! I’ve only been away a month, but was so good to see these places! I walked by that B&B on my way to class for years at THE University of Texas and always wondered what it looked like on the outside.
    And tell him not to knock the mothership that IS the coolest Whole Foods evah. Man, I love that place.
    And I’m dying to know what your new favorite clothing store is!

14. Susan G. says:

I am so glad you had a great time!
    I am jealous of the whole trip; especially The Container Store visit.
    By the way, you look fantastic in the picture!!!

15. Sarah's in the Midst of It says:

My mansion is heaven is going to looks JUST LIKE THAT! And then I’m going to have Paula Deen join me for fried chicken and biscuits on the covered porch 🙂
    I’m glad you had such a good time. Didn’t you want to tell the bride that as good as her wedding day is, marriage just gets better and better? I’d never want to go back to the first year; this is our 10th and my favorite so far!!

16. Big Mama says:

Austin is just one of the best places on earth, even if it is home to a university I don’t care to mention.
    I’m so glad y’all had a great time. You couldn’t have looked cuter!

17. Jill says:

What a gorgeous hotel! Such a fun way to treat yourselves!!! Glad you had a good time. Some time away, where you’re nobody’s mommy or daddy, is a good thing!

18. Amber says:

I adore Whole Foods. Not because I believe tofu is its own food group but where else can you have unmonitored samples? In fact, my kids and I just visited on Saturday and had a grand time doing a few rounds! Where else can we get a free lunch? 🙂

19. Amber says:

20. Amber says:

21. Randall says:

Sounds fabulous! Glad to read you all had a nice time :o)
    Oooo…. and I haven’t been to a Shoney’s breakfast buffet in for-ev-er. That sounds good right now!

22. Jamie says:

This post made me laugh out loud. The hotel looks absolutely beautiful! And good for you on being casual about all the scottie dogs. I probably would have cried or something.
    The whole foods? We are getting one of those in Boise soon. The hummus eating peace shirt wearing hippies made me laugh….. probably because we are those people.
    Your husband sounds hilarious, he should get with my husband and start their own stand up act.
    Jamie

23. singinole says:

what a fun time! and the hotel IS absolutely gorgeous! whole foods with a courtyard….OMG! isn’t container store just the best? i literally spent hours walking through it one day and all i walked out with were paperclips and fridge frames! ha! and what is your new favorite store where you found those four adorable skirts?
    glad you had a wonderful time with your husband and no kiddos.

24. Amanda Joyce says:

Yee Haw! So glad you loved Austin. I can’t imagine living anywhere else…of course, I fit right in with thoe “Give peace a chance” t-shirt wearers.

25. Maine Mom says:

What a beautiful place you stayed at! Your hubby reminds me a lot of my own. That is a great picture of the two of you 🙂
    I’m glad you had a fun getaway.

26. Jenny D says:

Glad that you and hubs had a great time! The place you stayed looks WONDERFUL! Your description of Hubs sounds exactly like my husband… “conservative, no-nonsense, Republican husband”. He sounds like a really great guy!! 🙂

27. Emily says:

When we went away once there was a Red Hat Lady Convention at the beautiful old historic hotel we selected for our romantic getaway. They were all over town!! It’s just our luck because we were the only honeymooners on our Hawaiian cruise because they were having an AARP convention on the boat that week! I guess we need to ask what’s going on at the hotel or town we next select for a trip. 🙂

28. trina says:

The pictures from your stay are gorgeous! And you are so adorable! Love the boots (borrowed or not)!!

29. Amy says:

I followed you over here from the Mamas (Big and Boo), and thought I’d say howdy. Absolutely loved the retelling of your weekend which, in blatant disregard to my general status as a tree-hugging tea-sipper, made me laugh out loud.
    My better half and I stayed at that same hotel a few years ago, but I have to say: your pictures make it look even more gorgeous.
    Interesting tidbit: way back in the day, when we were starving college students in love, we lived across the street from the Mansion, which then served as (I’m not kidding) a mental hospital.
    And yes, I do realize that I just swung the door wide open for some joke about Austin weirdos, so have at it…

30. Laura says:

The Container Store!!! Without kids….oh my word…of course I’m going to want to know what you bought…don’t hold out on me….I’ve never been to a Container Store…it’s so sad 😦
    Laura

31. Ashleigh says:

You know, my cowboy of a hubby would love it if I dressed like that every day. (Okay, maybe minus the bandana… not for everyday wear, at least :grin:) I have some Wranglers, and a pair of boots, and even a cutesie little cowboy hat, but they just sit in my closet. I tell him he should have thought about that when he married a through-and-through California girl.
    Truly, you look adorable. What fun to come back around here, getting caught up after over a month without internet, and see such a cute entry. 🙂

32. Barbara says:

Shannon, YOU LOOK AWESOME! You and Hubs make a very stylish Texas couple 🙂 Please let me know if you ever need a place to stay in Dallas or anywhere! You know I have the hotel hook up 🙂 Sounds like an amazing trip and I can’t wait to hear more!

33. Barb says:

My word, that place is gorgeous. That’s not “rubbing it in” at all – it’s just sharing your great fortune. And I love the photo of the two of you. You look adorable!

34. Catez says:

Marvellous! You both look like you are so into life – which I think you are.
    I glad you had a great time. I like Scottie dogs actually. Never encountered a hotel full of them though. lol.
    That hotel looks amazing too. Good for you two Shannon. I really enjoyed reading this. 🙂

35. Melody says:

Oh, you were right here and we didn’t even know it!!! I’ll bet you spent some time right up the road from our house at the Round Rock Outlet Mall too didn’t you?? It’s pretty much a given I would think…my van just automatically pulls into the parking lot whenever I’m driving north on I-35…there’s nothing I can do to stop it!
    Well, I guess “welcome” is a little late, but how about “Ya’ll come back now, ya’ hear?”
    Oh, and we’ll forgive the lack of Longhorn enthusiasm…just this once!