Works For Me: The Car Edition

Wfmwheader_2 Today is Works-For-Me Wednesday: The Car Edition, a chance for everyone to share ideas on how to make life-on-the-go a little easier.  I hope y’all have a slew of clever tips ready, because this is one area of my life where I’m sadly at a loss.  The floor of my car generally looks like an explosion at a french fry factory.

There are, however, a few tricks I’ve discovered over the years (all of which I think I’ve shared in previous WFMWs, but here we go again):

• I keep a bottle of Febreeze in the car, to squirt down the carpets to cover the stench of rotting apple juice for a quick refresher.
  • I keep an "emergency box" in the back, with a couple of bottles of water, a couple of juice boxes, a few packages of crackers, bug spray, sunscreen, diapers, and Scotch tape.  Yes, Scotch tape.  Never underestimate the importance of having access to Scotch tape at any given moment.
  • Anytime I print out a Google map for a soccer camp or birthday party or dentist, etc., I slip it in a folder in my glove compartment for future reference.  I affectionately call this my "Poor Man’s OnStar".

Aaaand…that’s it.  I’m ready to be wowed by your automobile cleverness.  Have you found a smart way to stock an auto first-aid kit?  Know some easy games to entertain the kids in the car?  Stumbled across a brilliant way to end backseat bickering?  Please, share the links to your tips below.  (WFMW guidelines can be found here.)  Thanks, as always, for playing!

39 thoughts on “Works For Me: The Car Edition

1. TheCoordinizer says:

I just posted twice…I’m so sorry! In my haste, I forgot to add a description. If you can, please feel free to delete my first entry. I didn’t intend to be a link-hog! :0)
    Thank you!

2. KD says:

Your Febreeze idea sounds great. Gonna try that for sure.
    I do the same thing… when I make a copy of directions, I put them in my glove compartment for next time. It really helps.

3. Laura says:

I’m all tied up with the Org Challenge and so won’t be able to post a WFMW this week but I just had to tell you that I cracked up when I read “poor man’s onstar”. Too funny!
    Laura

4. Carrie J says:

Gotta love that Febreeze. This was a hard one to come up with something original. My best tip should have been stay home as much as possible! Ha. Look forward to getting some new ideas.

5. elizabeth says:

We keep a big, metal shabby chic trash (can you just picture it…) can right by where we park the cars. It’s EASY to toss stuff as we get out.

6. Girl Gone Wild says:

Sorry about the airport theme…for some reason I had it in my head that this weeks WFMW’s edition was traveling. Sorry about that. I hope my tip helps someone reading!

7. J. Fergie says:

yay! I’m not in the bottom 10 for once 🙂
    love the “poor man’s onstar”! there’s no shame it that game — it’s brillant.

8. Trish says:

I agree – duct tape is better than scotch tape for a car. Even on diapers, it holds better. And you can put it over the kids mouths and end their bickering. (jk) Well, you can THREATEN to do it… lol
    Also, I keep really large paper clips in the glove compartment and a flashlight, two plastic grocery bags and a roll of paper towel in the back.

9. Toni says:

Scotch tape is a great thing. One of my favorite all around tools is a pair of nail clippers. Good for removing clothing tags that didn’t itch until we left the house, clipping loose threads before going into church, opening plastic encrusted toys/CDs etc, etc. Oh, and they cut nails too.

10. Melene says:

Love your ideas. Scissors are also a good thing to keep in the glove compartment. I started when my girls were really young and they would get a new toy and want to open it in the car-now we use it to cut tags off new shoes they just HAVE to wear right away, or wrapping a gift on the way to a party, or getting a box ready to mail on the way to the post office….they have come in handy many times.

11. In Light of the Truth says:

Hi Shannon! I also added some airport tips today, hope you don’t mind. Fits the theme closer than my next kitchen tip. Anyway, happy Wednesday, and as always, thanks so much for hosting this…I love picking up some new tips!!

12. Karen says:

mmmm…febreze is so fresh! I buy the Bath and Body Works Lime Verbena Home Fragrance and keep it in my van – smells like I just polished my steering wheel every time I get in!

13. Anne-Marie says:

LOL regarding the scotch tape…dh gets so frustrated when it’s not in the house, but I never thought about keeping it in the vehicle!
    Hubby keeps an orange scented air freshener (spray) in the vehicle, which is nice for freshening things up!
    Blessings!

14. Carrie says:

I couldn’t think of anything brilliant to add (up until a couple of weeks ago I had a french fry floor too, then did a major clean-out and have insisted on “trash gets out when we do” mantras ever since), but I am so excited to get to read everyone’s great ideas! This is one WFMW that I’ve been waiting eagerly for. 🙂

15. Amanda says:

I’m so glad that I’m not the only mum whose rear car seats look like the trash-cans exploded in Macdonalds!
    The main culprit is my daughter, who insists on eating in the car (especially sticky sweets). I’ve found that positioning a cheap washable blanket beneath her seat and spread through the sides helps keep most of her mess from ruining the upholstory. I also now keep a stash of bin-liners for the kids trash so we can clear as we go. The febreeze is a truly great idea, an addition I will make shortly.
    Thanks for the great tips!