Perhaps I Should Clean Out My Freezer More Often

This weekend I was giving The Museum of Frost-Bitten Mystery Chunks my freezer a much-needed purging, and I was amused to discover some of its contents.  I’m expecting, any day now, to receive a call from the Centers for Disease Control, requesting access to my trusty Kenmore to determine just how long you can keep a popsicle before it becomes toxic.

Mmmmm…don’t you want to come eat dinner at my house?

GoldfishAnyhoo, back to my freezer contents.  My first discovery was this plastic cup (at left) full of frozen water, a lone Goldfish cracker frozen for all eternity at its edge.  What a lonely, horrible, cold death for a Goldfish cracker–meaning that if the Centers for Disease Control don’t call me, the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals surely will.

Ice Next up was this (at right): a very large chunk of snow being stored (I learned) by my eight year old.  Evidently it’s a souvenir from the Great Oklahoma Ice Storm of ’07, because (he said) "it was fun.  I don’t want to forget about it."

Oh.

But the greatest contribution to my freezer collection was actually put there by me.  It’s a little plastic bottle of my breastmilk, dated the day my daughter came home from the NICU.  That was a wildly chaotic time, and the milk simply kept getting pushed back in the freezer until it was too hidden to be discovered.  I didn’t find it until a year later, and I was no longer nursing.  That little bottle was a very tangible (albeit cold) reminder of a precious season in my life.  I haven’t been able to throw it out.  The lid has now cracked, the writing is smudged, the label is about to come off, but I can’t get rid of it.  (I thought about showing you a picture of it.  I’m all for bloggy transparency, y’all, but really, I think I have to draw the line at bodily fluids.)

So, what about you?  What’s the most interesting thing in your freezer?

45 thoughts on “Perhaps I Should Clean Out My Freezer More Often

1. The Preacher's Wife says:

I have a saying, it’s one thing to bare your soul, another altogether to get plumb naked. Thanks for holding back on the breast milk…haha..
    My freezer?? ick. The most beloved thing..Ziploc bags of pecans my 7 yr old cracked himself for 9 hours one saturday for $5. I can’t bring myself to eat them cuz he worked so hard to get 2 little bags…be still my heart..:)

2. Michelle says:

I cleaned out the freezer-burned salmon and halibut that we never got to eating this winter and left it on the back deck (in the freezing temperatures) thinking that I’d give it to the zoo, who welcomes meat donations like that.
    I forgot all about it and now that spring has hit can I tell you that it is beyond ripe? Yuck.

3. Biggie says:

The most interesting thing in my freezer right now is probably little tiny portions of sauced spaghetti in mini muffin cups, ready to be dropped frozen into a packed lunch in the morning.
    To keep track of what’s in my freezer, I made food magnets out of the weekly supermarket advertising pages, tape and a cheap magnet sheet (or old cheap refrigerator magnets), like this.

4. Carrie says:

Aw Preacher’s Wife, he worked so hard to shell them and you’re not even eating them? Now he probably thinks he did it for nothing and you didn’t really appreciate it. (You know how kids are.) Get those things out and make a big fuss out of LOVING them! He’ll be begging to do it again. πŸ™‚
    Shannon I’m glad you specified that that was a goldfish *cracker* in that cup. The picture looks a bit… TOO real, lol.
    Okay, umm, most interesting thing in my freezer. Hrmm. Probably the chicken stock that I made myself. (Used some of it tonight to make homemade chicken pot pies!) That or the bread. I buy about 10 loaves of bread at a time at the dollar store and freeze ’em. We go through a LOT of bread here.

5. Cindee says:

I have frozen breast milk samples from when I was nursing each of my first three kids. I’ve never pumped for this fourth one of mine so I don’t have a sample from this go around. There’s still time tho’. I hate throwing it out too so I just never have. I’ve even moved once and taken the milk with us. It was a short move so it never thawed out. Weird, I know!

6. Susanne says:

Crumbs…because I’ve had this huge bag of chicken nuggets in there for weeks now, and finally discovered a hole in the bottom of the bag yesterday. So that’s why the crumbs keep re-appearing!!!

7. maria says:

I have a goldfish (not a cracker) who passed away over the winter. He is currently being held in cold storage for an oppotune time to lay him to rest with his fellow fishes, who passed before. In my flower bed, hopefully it will be soon.

8. Clare says:

Fois gras in the freezer and caviar in the fridge! All for a special occasion which never seems to arrive!
    Oh, and a bottle of Bubbly at the ready, just to wash it all down!

9. pinkcamojeep says:

SNAKES!!! Who could pass up a chance to look at a snake up close? They have beautiful skin and gorgeous markings. They are just creepy enough draw you in if you know their danger is laid waste. So, when we found a pretty oak snake dead in our yard, I picked it up and we looked at it closely. We had a middle school friend who had a science teacher who gave extra credit for specimens in good shape, so in the freezer the snake went, for the sake of science and education. Well, three snakes and two moves later, they had to go. They never made it to the seventh grade teacher. My 15yod had almost sworn off ice in her tea, just because she didn’t want to have to see a ziploc bag with a frozen body in it. Yep, snakes would have to be the strangest thing that you could find in our freezer.

10. Southern Girl says:

We don’t have it anymore, but for awhile there was a dead mole in our freezer. I’d hoped to dissect and see what was inside, but my family got all hinky about the possibility of rabies and I had to throw it out. 😦

11. peach says:

Every day I wake up to the sight of a frozen Polly Pocket doll who finds the frigid temps. of the freezer to her liking so that it changes her dull blue dress into a striking, deep shade of violet. She always has that same “frozen” smile on her face, but she IS smiling!

12. kim from hiraeth says:

I know how you share my love for quotes; I found this one just this morning. . .
    “One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries.” A. A. Milne

13. elizabeth says:

…a can of grease, which hangs out until full and is then replaced by an empty can which takes a long, long time, as the only grease I can think of is from bacon, sausage or browned hamburger, and I can’t remember the last time we had any of those, but my husband would have a cow if ANY grease went down the drain… Black bananas, maybe hundreds, I think, because some day my husband wants to make banana bread… Key word, anyone??

14. ~DanaB~ says:

Snowballs and ice crystals–two of each fromSuperSleddin’SnowDay2006 and it’s sequel SuperSleddin’SnowDay2007. So, see, you’re not alone πŸ™‚
    ~~

15. Girl Gone Wild says:

We just got a new fridge this week, but I didn’t find anything TOO out of whack while cleaning out the old. There is this one small ziplock bag of ‘something’ that is not marked and it looks like it might be BBQ?? I’m thawing it now. And I don’t care what it is…we’re not eating it!

16. Sarah says:

Mine is not near as interesting as yours….but hey, my son is only one! But, I threw out 4 bags of frozen breast milk (he never took a bottle) a few days ago…..that were dated around Sept. Gross but not overly disgusting!

17. Mommyoftwinboys06 says:

I can’t compette with snakes and moles. I have lots in my freezers but the most interesting is 2 lone packs of last years peaches. I will be conveting these babies! You see Easter weekend we lost our whole crop! All 40,000 peaches trees have no good fruit left because of the cold snap. We also lost most of our apples, all of the plums, blackberries, blueberries, nectarines and pears. So those 2 packs will serve of a reminder of how awesome God truly is and what kind og power he has over all of us! He will see us through. God is so good………all of the time.

18. Melanie says:

Hail! We currently have chunks of hail in a little bowl from the last hail storm that we had. We usually only get pea-sized hail around here, this time they were the size of Tootsie Roll Pops. (A few blocks down, they were the size of golf balls! :-O )
    And I had to laugh when I saw the fish cup – we have that exact set of straw cups at our house, too. πŸ™‚

19. Marian says:

Nothing stranger than egg rolls at the moment. I ordered this box of egg rolls from a school fundraiser, knowing that I am the only one in my house who will eat them. But, oh, I just had a hankering for egg rolls, and they’re frozen so I could eat them a little at a time. At the rate I’m going, I ought to be done in about 2022. They’re AWFUL! And I have a whole box, but I can’t, you know, be wasteful and just pull the plug. They’ve been there for 7 months and I’ve gotten two down.
    I’ve been wondering about popcicle longevity myself. I stock up when they’re half price during the summer but then, just like a light switch, the desire for popcicle turns off suddenly in September, and there they sit. Is an inch of frost too much? They’re supposed to be icy, right?

20. lifeasamama says:

ha! people have goldfish, snakes and moles in their freezers? that’s hysterical! i have nothing cool like that in mine – but that’s just ’cause it’s new.

21. Zeren says:

Hi! I have been reading for awhile, but thought it was time for me to post a comment! I also have an English degree (I know A LOT about Middle English) and have since discovered companies don’t leap at the chance to have me on board; it was funny reading in your info that you had the same experience! I am now a stay at home mom to one baby; my husband wants more babies NOW and I want to wait a bit more, so we will see who wins. πŸ™‚ Anyways, I just wanted to say hi and let you know I enjoy your WFMW info. Bye! Michelle

22. Sally says:

A can of coffee that is about 7 years old is in my freezer. I do not drink coffee so the only time it is used is once a year on Christmas morning-the person who drinks it doesn’t care how old it is!!

23. Jordan says:

Somehow one can of frozen pineapple juice leaked pineapple goo on several bags of vegetables and the wall of the freezer. Other than that, just really old food.
    I’m thinking of calling the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animal Crackers on you. πŸ˜‰

24. Shalee says:

Lots of bacon and sausage that was on sale. Lots of shredded cheese that was on sale. Lots of frozen veggies that was… (you got it) on sale. And corndogs that were not on sale, but the boy was craving them and I thought, “Why not?”
    Now what I WISH were in my freezer is a whole different story…

25. GiBee says:

Someone accidentally left our freezer door cracked a wee bit — just enough for my frozen dough balls to thaw, raise, then refreeze when the door got re-shut. By someone. Not sure who, but that’s my story and I’m sticking to it.
    Now I have to toss everything in our deep freeze … a job I keep putting off. Joy. Wanna come over and help?

26. trina says:

Nothing interesting for me like moles, snack and goldfish. I am in the same boat as you, just some frozen breast milk. I can’t seem to throw it out either!

27. Lisa says:

The night before we left for spring break vacation, we discovered my daughter’s pet mouse had departed for that great habitrail in the sky. What can you do? I slipped the stiff little mousie into a freezer ziploc. Then slipped that into a brown lunch bag with “dead mouse” written on it. And in the freezer it went.
    Currently there are two large ziploc bags filled with giant blobs of ice in my freezer. I don’t know who put them in there or why.

28. Tara says:

The stories of the gross things in people’s fridges made up for the tears in my throat from finding the little bottle of breastmilk from the day you brought your baby home. My best friend has a 25 weeker who just turned 3. I’m sure there is breastmilk in her freezer. I also have a vivid memory of a gallon baggie full of those little vials of breastmilk that would never be used when a friend lost her baby in the NICU. I guess maybe I’m sleep deprived if I’m sentimental about breastmilk, but man, what is it about those tiny little bottles of life that make me weepy???

29. singinole says:

we had deer antlers in our deep freeze for the longest time. then we moved and had to thaw the whole thing out. they’re sitting in the garage now.

30. Les~ says:

I was just doing this “freezer purge” the other day too! I found lots of things I forgot about — but especially the piece of our wedding cake saved for our 1st anniversary! Oh, and crumbs…how do crumbs get in the freezer anyway?

31. Sheryl says:

Okay, I nearly DIED laughing over the ages-old breastmilk in your fridge! I’m thrilled I’m not the only nutcase out there. In my freezer is an almost four-year-old plastic hospital pitcher filled with crushed ice I saved from the birth of my son. I’m completely at a loss for words as to why I would treasure these pellets of frozen water to the degree that I do …

32. Christine says:

A turkey hubs got for Christmas from his company. They do love their employees: “Here’s an afternoon of work for your wife…” Last year we let the current “gift” freeze to death before we threw it out in June or so.

33. cheryl...from the belly of the whale says:

Well, I looked through the kazillion posts here and I don’t think I found what I have in my freezer. Yes, I have frozen drinks, saved for later. I have snowballs and hail. I have frozen cranberries all over because a bag ripped open and well, they roll. But…I also have bags and bags of frozen breath. Yep. My kids got the idea on some educational show. They breath into a ziploc bag , close it quick and then see how much crackly frozen moisture there is in their morning breath… kids – don’t you love them!?

34. HolyMama! says:

i’d tell you about my freezer, but i’m still crying from the prostitute at the courthouse, and then i just weaned Seth-1yr MY BAAAAaaaAAAbeeeEEEE, my very last one, and then that description of the milk from the day she came home from nicu…. i am sobbing. good sobbing, but oh my.
    i must click away now.