When-Oh-When Will I Learn To Stop When I’m Ahead?

At 3:30 yesterday afternoon, my in-box was…(wait for it, wait for it)…EMPTY.  For the first time since (and this is just embarrassing) AUGUST 2006, there is nothing awaiting my response.  I think I felt the universe quiver just a little.

And then, because I was just all caught up in the order and catch-up-edness of it all, I decided to shuffle through my Bloglines account.  I sorted through all the blogs I don’t read anymore (or the ones I reading only because they made me mad, and that’s an awful reason to read a blog) and I chucked ’em.  I went all the way from (this is also embarrassing) 150 feeds down to a much more manageable 88.

I just feel all sparkly.

At least, I DID, until I decided to continue my Great Streak of Productivity by touching up my own roots.  I’ve seen my hairdresser do it–it couldn’t be that hard, right?  Right?  I went to the beauty supply place to get the stuff.

Here is what I learned:

First of all, root touching-up is best left to the professionals.  Unless you want to look like a leopard.  Which I do.

If you feel you must, must touch up your own roots, do not do so with a product that has the word "Radical" in the brand name.  This no doubt contributes to the leopard-ishness.

I have a call in to my hair dresser to see if I can slink shamefully back into the salon for a fix.  Any hair horror stories you’d like to share to help me feel better?

Posted in: Fun

41 thoughts on “When-Oh-When Will I Learn To Stop When I’m Ahead?

1. Ellen says:

You mean like when I ended up with hot pink hair (which I actually kinda liked)? Nope. never done anything like that. Did I mention that my hair was down to the middle of my back at the time? Oh wait, that wasn’t me. And I didn’t make the big reveal at our homeschool park day. Nope. Not me. πŸ˜‰
    Ellen in Texas

2. Military Mommy says:

I too thought, “It can’t be that hard can it?” Never will I doubt the training needed to be a quality hair magician.
    I did my own hair last month with a “highlights kit” and ended up looking like “peppy la pew”.
    Totally worth the money that I pay and now that I’ve tried it and failed I have NO problem paying it.
    πŸ™‚ Michelle

3. Therese says:

Yes, yes, yes, I can relate! When I first started coloring, I actually had my hair about three different colors ranging from orange ends to black roots. Very Halloweenish. I also got the very black color on the bathroom floor. Thank goodness, the floor is a variegated color, and the spots blended right in. No more amateur hour for this girl! Oh, and the spots are still there about 10 years later.

4. Jenna says:

I just colored my hair…. after letting my husband dye my hair red. While I love that he helps, I turned very…um… splotchy. I just went up to the drugstore and bought some dye that is as close to my natural hair color as I can get, and I just put me back to normal. My husband came in the door and started pouting, but said that I look cute as a “brownie”, though he liked the red. lol

5. Vida says:

You mean the time my stylist begged me to let her do something new with my hair? She does my mom’s hair too, and stated very matter of factly that my mother had more style than I do and she’s stuck in a toned down 80’s perm. hmmmm I guess you could call me chicken.

6. Stacey says:

Yes, WAY TOO many times to recount here on this comment post – because that would be like hijacking. So perhaps my own post of hair horror stories is in order. Or, perhaps not.
    I am not sure I want to relive them all.
    Let’s just say, I tell my husband that I pay the nice lady for the very nice thing she does with my hair which makes me a nicer mommy and a super nice wife. ‘Nuf said.

7. Leslie says:

There was the time when we had lost power for a week because of Hurricane Fran. Without my blow dryer and curling iron, I was going nuts, so I decided I needed to cut my bangs. Big mistake. I had to wear one of those stretchy headbands over the front of my head for a few weeks until the bangs grew out long enough so that they didn’t stick straight out on my head.

8. peach says:

I bet you saw me “slinking” into the store (because I was still too cheap to go to a salon) incognito with my ball cap securely fixed. That was after I used one of those two-step jobbies from Loreal and had the highlights turn a neon orange.
    I quickly covered them up within 24 hrs., but each time my hair grew out a bit for the next 6 months — the neon orange would rear its ugly head again.
    I finally figured a really short ‘do would be my only long-term solution.
    Happy slinking! Hopefully you have a gracious stylist ; )

9. trina says:

I just colored my hair this past weekend with something called Fearless Color by Herbal Essense. I haven’t tried to color my own hair in about 10 years, but I thought what the heck, I doubt they call it FEARLESS for nothing. I found it on clearance AND I had a coupon. So CVS pretty much paid me to take it home, so I HAD to try it, right? Well, it’s not my favorite color, but it’s not something I have to slink back to the salon to have corrected, thank the Sweet Lord.

10. Cheri says:

88 blogs…holy may. LOL
    Um, let’s see would you feel better if I told you about the winter of ’00. when I decided to color my l-0-n-g (colored) blonde hair, to a lovely shade of red/auburn. I had been coloring my hair for a while. I’d been red before. However for whatever reason after applying the two containers (I have THAT much hair it always took two back when I colored) my hair was the lovely shade of eggplant. EGGPLANT. Alas, I was not fearful, all I needed to do was pull it up again, to an acceptable shade of something. (do you feel where this is going?) I started the lightening process and ended with (are you ready?) ORANGE HAIR. There is no humor here, my hair was the color of SUNKIST. Did I mention I had LONG ORANGE HAIR. So yeah, $150 in color correction later at my salon and I haven’t colored my hair since. I will however gladly be paying PROFESSIONALS to do highlights in the very near future.

11. Anonymous says:

88 blogs?? I only read about 5 or 6 and I have just cut that down from 10!! I had my hair professinally colored for a few years but money got tight and we had to cut back on some things and so I started coloring my own hair last year and have had no problem so far. I try to pick colors that look as close to what my natural color USED to look like before I went totally gray in my early 40’s!! I used to say I would never color my hair when I was younger and had no gray hair yet….I have never tried the root touch up kits before, a little scared of those..

12. Girl Gone Wild says:

I thought I would be radical (right after having baby #2, so I’m blaming post-pardem!)and dyed my hair plum-y auburn. In the process of dying my head, I thought to myself, “but your eyebrows look WAY too light. They need to match your head…” Yep…25 minutes later I was a pink headed and eyebrowed Groucho Marx! There was some slinking back to the hairdresser for me too.

13. Shalee says:

Two things:
    1) Don’t you remember Boomama’s hair deal? Leaving it to the pros is the only way to go (says she who does nothing to her hair so the silver is showing more and more…)
    2) Oh please tell me that I’m still on your bloglines!

14. Mrs. Pear says:

You could not possibly be referring to the time that my avant garde hair dresser asked if I would like to try something a little daring and I said sure would you?????

15. mcewen says:

Ooo some jolly escapism, just what we all need right now.
    I am very impressed with your productivity and I too would have appreciated photographic evidence of the stripes.
    Best wishes

16. Cindee says:

I’m more startled be the 88 blog feeds than I am the hair problem! Holy cow! I agree with the others, though, where are the pics??? πŸ™‚

17. Amy says:

LOL… I’m with everyone else, WE WANT PICS! πŸ™‚
    I’ve colored my own hair forever, so long in fact that one of the moms at my MOMS Club commented about how my kids don’t have my hair color at all. Another mom clued her in as to my color from a bottle. πŸ™‚
    I color mine blond, but it’s gone red a couple of times on me. Kind of an orangy-red. Luckily it was in college and I was an art major, so it wasn’t a big deal.

18. Jessica says:

Unfortunately, my worst hair disasters were at the hands of my MIL (who was a hairdresser YEARS ago, and was adamant she could still do all this stuff). Once, I wanted to go blonde, and so she helped me. Several leopard spots later, I decided that was never happening again. Then, after our first child, (after the horrific home blonde job (dyed back to a sensible brunette)had truly fried my hair) I asked her to cut it. I had a short, flippy style in mind, just a little less than shoulder length. I ended up with a mushroom head, and the back of my neck shaved clear up to the middle of my ears.
    I haven’t let her touch my hair since.

19. Celina says:

Oh… I’m sorry this happened. A bad hair day can make even the best day bad!!
    My own bad hair day came many years ago (I won’t share just how many) when I was in high school. I had a job cleaning one of the hair salons. Well, one Sunday afternoon, I called my best friend (dare I say BFF at the time) to come up and help me highlight my hair. Here is an account of what happened:
    Mix highlight solution = “Check”
    Sit in salon chair = “Check”
    Apply highlight solution in small jig/jag like sections = “uh…why not the entire head?”
    I started with blonde hair and ended up with WHITE hair ALL OVER!! It took a long time to grow that out and the roots were screaming in contrast from the whiteness of the rest of my hair as it did grow out.

20. Myfriendconnie says:

A few years ago, I decided to “streak” my hair and ended up with a huge orange blotch on the side of my head. I hoped maybe nobody would notice, but no such luck. My children kept saying (loudly and in large crowds), “Mommy, that spot on your head is the exact color of sweet potatoes!”
    They still like to bring it up just to embarass me.

21. LeeAnn says:

Never dye your children’s hair either. $300 later and two missed schools days, my daughter finally left the house without cussing me out!

22. Lori says:

been there, done that! I too thought I’d save a buck or two and tried coloring my hair myself. I’d say I was successful if I was going for a Gothic look… yep, dark brown turned black on my hair. Not quite the look I was going for. Went to the salon to correct it and they had to bleach the hair to get the dark color out… can you say carrot top?! I had to go back one more time to get it right. You’d think I’d learned my lesson, but the tug of saving a buck or two rears its ugly head about every two years.

23. Melanie says:

When I was in college I decided that I could be a fabulous auburn girl-and I don’t mean the university.
    I have very fair skin and a sweet strawberry blonde is quite flattering, but auburn burgundy maroonish- Not.
    My hair matched my Etienne Agner purse.
    I missed a 4 hour class because I was embarrassed to go to class. The professor did not have much compassion for my trauma. He knocked me down a whole letter grade for missing class without a real excuse and told me I should have worn a scarf.
    A scarf to a college class?
    Just give me the B.
    And the peroxide to make me a sweet strawberry blonde.

24. Kathy says:

I’m scared to death to do it myself! I’ve only had a wash done, I don’t have much grey, and my friends told me I could do this myself. I give you credit for trying though! Good luck with the roots!
    Kathy

25. MommaKnows says:

I once gave myself purple hair, on accident. I have colored my own hair at home for 13 years. I know the shade/s that work for me (there are really only two, one a slightly darker version than the other). I decided to go with an ‘auburn’ version…
    There should be a warning on the side of Preference Dark Auburn that states: “Warning: Auburn is a variance of the color purple. Your hair WILL turn purple if you use this product and your beginning color is lighter than that shown on the box.” (!!!)
    I went to the beauty supply place, screaming HELP! They laughed and told me to try an ‘ash’ shade to tone it down. It toned it down to light auburn-purple. I had to deal with it until it grew out/faded out enough to take color again.

26. GP says:

okay… my college roommate swore she knew how to cut hair… can you say “scalping”… Not only did i look like a boy for about two months, red highlights were practically blonde
    Definitely did NOT work for me πŸ™‚
    GP in Montana

27. Michelle at Scribbit says:

The time my husband cut my hair probably deserves a post. It was hideous. Just hideous. Course anyone who’d let their husband near them with a pair of scissors probably deserves what they get. We were young, poor and I thought I could direct him better than I did.

28. Mim says:

I once came home from the salon looking like a calico cat. I’m totally not kidding. And another time when I was unhappy with some highlights I decided to just color it red. It turned out a salmoney color. Horrific!

29. Michelle-This One's for the Girls says:

Do the words “Blonde Earmuffs” communicate anything to you?
    I do believe my brother in law also referred to me as Queen Amidala during that horrible hair stunt.
    We’ve all done it, hon. Just slink back in and GET IT FIXED!!!!! πŸ™‚

30. Clemntine says:

Hair mishaps? Have you seen my profile photo?
    What’s a blogline? I have a pantyline, a grow-out-line, I can get online and behave out-of-line. Do any of those count?

31. Laura says:

Junior yr. of high school, day after prom, I brought a picture of a short-ish cut in to supercuts with me. The shy girl I was didn’t want me to ask her what she was doing with the electric razor. I left looking like a little dutch boy. That was the ONLY time I ever let my mother touch my hair.