Works For Me: Birthday Tips

WfmwheaderI have birthdays on the brain this week–we’re celebrating Joseph’s 6th birthday at a rockin’ Spiderman shin-dig on Sunday afternoon.  One very simple little trick has helped me streamline the kid birthday party business over the years:

A laundry basket.

Yep, a laundry basket.  In the days leading up to the party, I get my biggest, sturdiest laundry basket and begin loading it with every imaginable accessory I’ll need for the party: candles, a lighter, plates, cups, party favors.  And include lots of incidentals, like paper, a pen, and bandaids (because we all know that wherever two or more little boys are gathered, there also shall be the letting of blood).

When party day arrives, we tote the full basket to the party.  Most of the items are used up and emptied out at the party, so we use the empty basket to bring home all the gifts and empty gift sacks which, yes ma’am, I’m maniacally stingy cleverly frugal enough to save.

It’s very simple, but it’s very helpful.  Works for me!

Have a tip you’d like to share with all of Bloggityville? Please, share the links to your tips below.  (WFMW guidelines can be found here.)

Oh, and while you’re out strolling around the Blogosphere today, please remember the important business going on at BooMama‘s place today.  Go spread a little love.

1. OW (10 Ways to Make Brushing Fun)
2. Amberly
3. Smockity Frocks (Leftover Roast)
4. Owlhaven(Chocolate Fix)
5. The Pumkin Patch
6. Beth F. Look! Everyone is cleaning!
7. The Building Brows (Easy Stuff and House Management)
8. Jessica (TV via Internet)
9. lizzykristine (paperbacks longevity!)
10. Jen ( $ saving tip)
11. Tammy\’s Recipes (de-cluttering)
12. Jane Reading Fluency Tip
13. Cherish The Home (Spring Cleaning Products & Tips)
14. Joyful Days (prayer)
15. Lindsey (Fussy Babies)
16. Laura – grocery game
17. Mandy (indoor pets)
18. Michelle at Scribbit (organization software)
19. Liza\’s Eyeview (Best Lip Balm)
20. LammyAnn (NIGHT SCHOOLING)
21. The Preacher\’s Wife (The Best Jewelry Organizer)
22. nsremom
23. Emma (the freezer)
24. nsremom (pictures of art)
25. An Ordinary Mom (flexible cutting boards)
26. Kara (trash tip)
27. Song of the Sagebrush (Garden Freebie)
28. Robin (packing lists)
29. Rae (Moment of Silence)
30. Military Mommy (kids loving laundry)
31. Robin (limiting TV)
32. Queen of Dirty Laundry (Nap Routine)
33. My Twenty Cents Keeps Moving(baby/wedding shower idea)
34. MrsLady (Fun Spring Ideas)
35. NspiredByFaith (Free 411 on your cell)
36. Pastormac\’s Ann (stretching those dollars)
37. Chrystal (Teaching ABCs)
38. Michelle (Making great popcorn)
39. Jennie C. (fresh coffee)
40. KD (gift idea)
41. In Light of the Truth
42. Whymommy
43. Whymommy (Toy Storage)
44. Elizabeth (baking by weight)
45. In Light of the Truth (umm, tampons)
46. DivaP (gifts for the hard to buy for)
47. Aubrey (better salads)
48. Girl Gone Wild (Okie Butter)
49. Mom in Action (why write a will)
50. The Family CEO (Spaghetti Pie)
51. Kel (Teaching Kids Responsibility)
52. sugar ave (linkadoos to the rescue)
53. Trixie @ Farm Home Life (soup)
54. Cyndi (car snacks)
55. Kathy (bathtime struggles)
56. Viriatha (Easy Soup)
57. Barbara H. (Organizing quotes, poems, etc.)
58. Beth @ Working it Out (Craig\’s List)
59. Sarah (Stinky Dog Fix)
60. Eva (Packing Clothes for Kids)
61. jen (Veggies on the Grill)
62. The Cheerio Queen (Baby Oil)
63. Mama Squirrel (Typing with an accent)
64. The Not Quite Crunchy Parent (Avoiding Lousy Local Conditions)
65. ThoughtfulMom
66. kelli in the mirror (listening to your baby)
67. Beth/Mom2TwoVikings (ebay misspell tool)
68. Mama Duck (homemade cleaner)
69. Lady Why (stain removal recipe)
70. Elena – Aldi and the Aldi Queen
71. Viscountess(naturally caffeine free, organic alternative to iced tea)
72. Catherine (Instant Carpet Spot Remover)
73. Jenn (baby hair ribbons)
74. Darcy (Treasure Boxes = Clean Rooms)
75. OneCoolMama
76. OneCoolMama (water bottles)
77. My Quotidian Mysteries (scan important documents)
78. Catherine (Law of Attraction)
79. The Ramblings of T. (Thrifty Paper Shreds)
80. Malissa (cute laundry stuff storage)
81. So Many Joys — reusable grocery bags
82. Jordan @ MamaBlogga (Teething tips)
83. Frugal Momma (Prepping for Garage Sales)
84. KimC(memorize a list)
85. Rebecca Mielke (Where to buy shoes)
86. Neighbor Jane (pizza)
87. Catherine (Clean Paws)
88. Marcia (using TV time)
89. Seasons of the Heart
90. Jill (gifts from kids)
91. Maggie (Donation box)
92. lifeasamama (piecrust tip)
93. Tami (baking powder)
94. Mrs Pear (Sick family and house)
95. SeaBird (Delicious Sweet Breads!)
96. J. Fergie (Neat Sheet)
97. GiBee (Dinner in 10)
98. Sincerely Anna (Digital Camera)
99. GP (buiding fences in Montana)
100. Ashley (tea and cookies)
101. Q&Q
102. Amy (Awesome Spelling Game)
103. Toni (Navigating WFMW)
104. Rugrats and Dirty Rugs (Barking Puppy)
105. Susan (6 purse tips)
106. Carrie J (Keeping in Touch with extended family)
107. Cindee (Breakfast Menu)
108. Easy, Cheap Milkshakes
109. Rachel (Trash Bag Holdup)
110. Ann Kroeker (castile soap for everything)
111. Amy W (Exema relief)
112. Stacy (Sharing Cooking)
113. MommaBlogger (Organize Toys)
114. Heather (homemade bread crumbs)
115. His Girl (Bringing Order to Your Week)
116. Kendra
117. Kathy
118. Shayna
119. Kathleen Marie
120. Carla (shoe container)
121. Kristen Munson
122. Emily (call your mom)
123. Gayle
124. Lisa @Everyday Adventures(Papa John\’s online)
125. tigiabra-credit card rewards
126. Kim – Toddler Bath & Pedicure in One
127. Multitasking Mama (Desktop Clutter Control)
128. The Moira (Getting Out Bad Ink Stains)
129. ThoughtfulMom (Just stay home)
130. Jennifer (Mall Safety Tip for Kids)
131. Mary W.

Powered by… Mister Linky’s Magical Widgets.

38 thoughts on “Works For Me: Birthday Tips

1. Myfriendconnie says:

Thank you, Shannon!
    At one of our birthday parties, I forgot the big #7 candle! It was kind of anti-climactic after the song to just stare at the cake. Wish I’d thought of that basket then!

2. Jen says:

I LOVE this tip! We just had my son’s bday party at a pool and this would have really come in handy. Thanks for great suggestion!!

3. Jessica Snell says:

Okay, this may sound weird, but my husband (who, of course, has heard me talking about your blog) insists that the acronym “WFMW” ought to be pronounced “Oof-Moo.” And tonight, after I mentioned posting a WFMW tip, he was cracking jokes about it. Like, “What’s the sound a cow makes when it runs into something? ‘Oof. Mooooooo.” So, see, this carnival is providing fun for folks who don’t even read it. πŸ˜€
    peace of Christ to you,
    Jessica

4. Joyful Days says:

Great idea–I’ve used a laundry basket to take items to a women’s ministry meeting too. Just maybe the contents were a little different.
    Blessings

5. lammyann says:

I’m like Joyful Days and use laundry baskets for everything from Women’s groups I’m in charge of to major Activities for our church, to return items that we’ve borrowed from people. I never even thought of this idea for Birthday bashes! yay Shannon!
    Great one.
    Happy Wednesday!

6. Military Mommy says:

I just messed up #30 – I’m sorry. This is the first one I posted and even though I had just read the rules, I posted my main blog website. Please delete #30 and keep #31, which is correct. Like you don’t have enough to do, I know. πŸ˜‰
    Loved the laundry basket idea. Never thought of that – very helpful, thanks.
    Michelle

7. In Light of the Truth says:

I love using a laundry baskets for things! In college I’d use it to help haul stuff to the car when I was going home for a weekend. Now I use a $1 laundry basket to for baby toys.
    Have a blessed day!

8. stephanie says:

This is a great idea…laundry baskets are awesome on so many levels. πŸ™‚
    I love this WFMW. Thank you for keeping an archive…now I know where to look for that really good idea that I just can’t quite remember. πŸ™‚

9. Beth says:

Thanks for the tip! My son’s first birthday is next month and we’re having his party at my mother-in-law’s, so this is especially timely for me. As always, thanks for hosting!

10. Eva says:

I love using laundry baskets for lots of stuff. But the birthday party prep is one I hadn’t thought of. Great idea!

11. Tara says:

I am a fanatic about using laundry baskets for EVERYTHING! I will haul one out to the van and tell the kids to put anything that isn’t a car seat in it. Makes cleaning out the van easier for me! No bending over trying to dig sticky sucker sticks out from under the seats. I guess this is my works for me Wednesday post! πŸ˜‰

12. OneCoolMama says:

That’s a GREAT idea! All of our “birthday stuff” usually ends up in several walmart bags. The basket sure would keep it a little more organized!
    Sorry my link is on there twice. I’m not really sure what happened. πŸ™‚

13. Mrs. Pear says:

This is a great idea!
    I know about taking laundry baskets to haul away the loot, but this is much better than just taking an empty basket!

14. J. Fergie says:

Those laundry baskets come in handy for so many things, don’t they? Now if I could only find an EMPTY one in my house, I’d be all set πŸ˜‰

15. ThoughtfulMom says:

Great idea! I love using laundry baskets to tote things around. Actually, when we go to my ILs lakehouse for the weekend in the summer, we skip the suitcases. We just toss everything into two laundry baskets and take them to the lake. Then we unload them into closets and dressers and use the baskets for dirty clothes, and before we come home, we wash the clothes and come home and put the laundry away.

16. Toni says:

Laundry baskets are handy for so many things aren’t they? I use them when packing for a trip, keeping opened Christmas presents separate, or sending my children around the house on pickup patrol. Using one for birthday party supplies is a great idea.

17. Dee says:

My laundry baskets are usually full of dirty clothes or clean ones that haven’t been folded yet. Maybe I need more laundry baskets. πŸ™‚

18. Susan says:

I just started using a laundry basket for events too. Much sturdier than paper bags and holds a lot more.
    Thanks again for having one spot where we can all share our ideas with one another.

19. Trish says:

Yay! You just made me feel brilliant. Last year I used three laundry baskets to tote all the party decorations and food to my sons brithday party in the park. It made everything so easy. One basket for food, one for games and favors and the other for decorations. I have way too many baskets!

20. jen says:

I meant to comment this morning, but then I remembered that I was supposed to be at my daughter’s school in 30 minutes . . . and I hadn’t showered yet! But anyway . . .
    Thanks for this tip – I love it and will be using it very soon for my daughter’s party!
    Blessings!

21. Emily says:

Good idea! I usually use a large tote bag, but everything won’t fit in it – a laundry basket would be just the thing!

22. Gayle says:

For teen birthday parties, always include music. And always ask your teen and his/her friends to choose it! No matter how well you think you know what they will like, you’ll end up getting everything all wrong!

23. Melissa @ Organized Chaos says:

Hi Shannon – great laundry basket idea.. we’re coming up to birthday season at our house so this will come in handy.
    I noticed that my link was removed from Mr Linky on Wed and again on Thurs. Was it something I said?