Friends Don’t Let Friends Eat Cheesecake Chimichangas (By Themselves)

Today I’m starting the South Beach Diet.

And I know, I’m not supposed to use the word "diet"; it’s a "lifestyle change".  Whatever.

And if I don’t sound overly enthusiastic, it’s just the thought of giving up potatoes that has me grieving a little.  I KNOW it’s the right thing to do–I’ve read all the science behind it.  I can feel in my own body that I’m having blood sugar issues (I’m at a higher risk for type-2 diabetes after having gestational diabetes during pregnancy).  I’m convinced this is a healthy way for all of us–my whole family–to begin eating.  It’s not even about losing weight anymore.  It’s about being healthy.

But oh, how I’ll miss all those deliciously unhealthy carbs.

My ever-faithful friend Chilihead (a faithful South Beach devotee) went with me to the grocery store yesterday and helped me navigate the tricky world of good carbs/bad carbs.  And then, like any good friend would do, she accompanied me for a "bad-carb-farewell lunch" at the Finest Eating Establishment In America:

Taco Bueno.

We laughed and wished for a camera to record our table piled high with carb-o-liciousness:  quesadillas, tacos, nachos, churros and…yes, they’re for real….cheesecake chimichangas.  Ecstasy, I tell you.

And I ate so many carbs I had to come home and take a nap afterwards.

But I’m armed now, with my whole grains and my lean protein and my nuts and my dining-out guide.  And I even promise not to talk about it too much, despite the fact that I will likely be cranky and tired as I go through carb-detox.  If, for the next couple of weeks, my writing is flighty and disconnected (or perhaps I should say, "more flighty and disconnected than it already is"), you’ll know why.

I just really want a cracker.

37 thoughts on “Friends Don’t Let Friends Eat Cheesecake Chimichangas (By Themselves)

1. Trixie Comrie says:

Oh, I HEAR you! I just LOVE LOVE LOVE carbs. I could eat nothing but mashed potatoes and stuffing for dinner. Forget the meat. LOL
    HOWEVER— I do feel AWFUL after eating a lot of carbs. I hope you find lots of good meals to make that you and your family like and that you do feel better on the diet/lifestyle change.
    Take Care,
    Trixie

2. martha says:

Better have the family bunker in. Like my hubby always says, “I can have my wife fat and happy, or skinny and MEAN…” I have had lots of friends have lots of success with that diet. So good luck to ya!

3. Mich says:

I am the pasta and candy queen (think of all the gummy candy I ate in College) and I am on day 11 of South Beach. It is really not too bad and I have seen results pretty fast. Would love to hear from Chilihead if she has any suggestions. I wish you the best of luck!!!

4. Goslyn says:

Oh, good luck Shannon. When I stick to South Beach even somewhat faithfully, I lose a lot of weight. It’s a plan that really does work, and once you get past the first two weeks, it’s pretty easy.
    You can do it!

5. Krissy says:

You. Can. Do. It. Lately (last 2 months or so) I’ve had to cut out a lot of goodies from my diet to try to restore it back to health and it was easier for me than I imagined. And once the pounds started coming off (not the main goal but a needed benefit anyway) I kept at it. I like New England Brown Bread – not sure if that is OK on S.B. – but no sugar, pure whole grain and it isn’t bad at all.
    Just say N.O. to things that you know will not only add the pounds back on, delay the poundage from leaving, or do very bad things inside your body. I’ve had to pass up birthday cake (made for me), a large selection of cakes/pies/treats at a buffet, a table full of sweets at Easter, and many other things but as I see the ladies with “ba-donk-a-donk” behinds (no insult intended, just can’t think of another term at moment!) go around those treat tables several times I am even more encouraged and proud for sticking with it.

6. Missy says:

Hubby and I have been doing South Beach for a few weeks now. I love it. I never met a carb I didn’t like, so I knew I needed to do something about my cravings. The first two weeks were a little tough (although not really that bad), but now I love being able to look at a piece of chocolate cake without wanting to dive in face first. I can even cheat occasionally w/o going overboard now. I had ONE cup of coffee punch at a baby shower the other day. One! And I was satisfied.
    I was afraid I would miss potatoes, but I really don’t. I love the recipe for cooked and mashed cauliflower. I also tried a “potato” salad made w/ cooked cauliflower. It was yummy.
    You can do it!

7. Fiddledeedee (It Coulda' Been Worse) says:

Shannon,
    I’m a faithful devotee to the Southbeach Diet. When I’m not eating blue icing from the trash, that is. 🙂 I need to go back on Phase 1 to get rid of the cravings. It really is the best eating plan I’ve ever found. After you get to Phase 2, he recommends even branching out and trying other recipes, to keep things interesting. I have ALL of Dana Carpenter’s Low Carb cookbooks. They are awesome! When I’m sticking to the eating plan, I don’t feel deprived at all. Wait until you get to the “New York Style Cheesecake” from Phase 3. Holy moly. Also, a really great Phase 1 snack are the roasted chick peas. Sounds weird. But they are great.

8. Shalee says:

You’re doing this just to challenge me to get back on it, aren’t you? Bah. It’s the Phase 1 where I always need help. Eggs, eggs, eggs! And of course, absolutely no carbs. Sniff, sniff.
    BUT, I happen to have made an excellent recipe to get you through that boring breakfast phase. I call the Dinosaur Eyeballs. Man they’re good!
    I’ll call you to give you the details.
    Thanks for the unintended encouragement to get me back on the right track. And WOOT to Chilihead for doing what friends do best: understand a friend’s need.

9. Kim says:

You can do it – SB was probably the one diet that I was successful on – I just need to get back on it – and after a week or two I felt so CLEAR headed it was surreal.
    I need that feeling back and a few pounds off this body – I may just join you on this journey.
    Kim

10. Jordan says:

Good luck, Shannon! My grandparents were both on this diet at their doctor’s recommendation; my Paw Paw (yes, I’m from the South, why do you ask? 😉 ) lost 23 pounds in the first few weeks.

11. Aunt MurryAunt Murry says:

From a diabetic who would love to kick herself for not doing something when she could of, I say Bravo. You will be amazed at how much better you feel. And portion control is a big part of it. Once you make the change it will be come easier. I don’t even really like french fries anymore. I think I want some but then I just end up throwing them away.
    And if you want to you can just e-mail me and talk about it all you want. We all need someplace to vent.
    Good luck – I’m pulling for you!

12. melody says:

Good luck with the diet, er, lifestyle change. Recently I have busted the heck out of my “Sugar Busters” lifestyle…but I’m working on it. Dang that chocolate!

13. Jennifer says:

Two Words — Dana Carpender!!
    I have only 2 of her books — but they are the best!!
    Slow but sure — it’s coming off…
    I’m doing bad today — skipped pbreakfast and sipped 2 coffees (of course with sugar)… ohh am I feeling it. WOWZA!!

14. chilihead says:

That was a good lunch, wasn’t it? Mmmmm. Cheesecake chimichanga. Today, though, it was back to the steel-cut oats and ham and cheese roll-ups. 😀
    I even bought you forks for your first day, but Wal-Mart forgot to put them in my bag and they’re out at 111th. Feel free to pick them up. 😉

15. Kendra Dahlstrom says:

Ahh, I know the feeling. As soon as you can’t have potatoes, muffins, and cookies, you begin to crave them. Although I am pregnant now, I will have to deal with some sort of diet in the future. Ahh, but for now I can dine on my own delicious tacos and banana bread.
    Really, I think it is great that you are going on this diet for your health and not for your weight. I wish you the best of success!

16. Jennifer says:

I’m on day 5 of a carb-detox myself. It wasn’t all that bad this time around! Good luck!

17. Cmommy says:

I can just see the two of you pushing the cart through the grocery store and LAUGHING! Did you get any shopping done? 🙂

18. Reformed Grits says:

Hi Shannon. I am in between Phase 2 and Phase 3 after being on SB for about 5 1/2 weeks. I have lost FIFTEEN pounds and really don’t need to lose anymore (just telling you and no one else that I’m now 120 which is 4 lbs less than before I got pregnant the last time, but 2 lbs more than when I got pregnant the first time… 12 1/2 years and 7 babys ago!) I miss my carbs but got a grain mill recently so I give myself more leeway (sp?) knowing that what I’m eating is TRULY wholegrain! It’s hard and I didn’t feel human for the first 2 weeks but you will be so happy you did this! I bought clothes the other day that I didn’t need JUST because they were a size 4! LOL
    Godspeed!!!!!

19. Carol says:

Yeah, I went through carb detox when I changed my eating habits. I went to the health food store and they gave me a cleanse kit. That helped minimize the detox time. Little capsules. No great shakes.
    Okay, really gargantuan capsules that you have to take a b’zillion times a day. But you feel so much better. Well, I did.

20. Jen says:

Two words: DIET COKE. When I did South Beach I had quick success and I owe it all to the fact that I could have as much Diet Coke as I wanted. It filled me up and tastes great with eggs! 😉

21. callie says:

Hi,
    Stop by my blog and pick up the new linky/love post. It will help boost your google numbers. I really enjoy your site. I have been coming here probably a good six months or longer. Anyway, I picked you because I feel other friends of mine would like you sight. Thank you Callie

22. Sarah's in the Midst of It says:

If I said I were excited for you, that would be a bald-faced lie.
    Hello my name is Sarah, and I’m a carbaholic.
    Good luck on this–I wish I could do it, but I just don’t have it in me. I NEED to have it in me, seeing as ten pounds of post-baby weight is sitting around my midsection and doesn’t look as cute on me as it would on an actual baby.
    So I’ll just live vicariously through you. And yes ma’am, those cheesecake chimichangas are HEAVENLY. 🙂

23. Amy says:

Carbs are verboten for me, too. I puff up and tote a spare tire around my waist, and I know for a fact that all the sit-ups in the world won’t make a dent until I get rid of high-glycemic carbs. And I really believe South Beach is the best way to do that.
    But… you go first. 😉

24. Faerylandmom says:

Kudos to you…I have never “dieted,” but I do try reallyreallyreally hard to keep “good stuff” in my house…but it’s hard when you have a husband who doesn’t see the point, and – literally – drinks nothing except Mt. Dew & Pepsi everyday. Not kidding.
    I pray that your family is all onboard…
    🙂 If not, I pray that you win! lol

25. Natalie Joy says:

My husband and I attended college in Tulsa and now live elsewhere…with NO Taco Bueno. Late night study fests. Afternoon cravings. Taco Bueno is the best. Our friend was even in one of their commercials in the mid 90’s (when we were there). Sometimes we miss Taco Bueno… and Waffle House…Sometimes.

26. Adrienne says:

I have been doing South Beach for that past couple of years off and on. My husband isn’t too keen on the whole wheat so it makes a little difficult. You can loose weight on it and keep it off. There are 3 South Beach cookbooks, I have 2 of them and they have good receipes in them. Good Luck, and let us know how you are doing.
    I need to get back on it. I too had gestational diabetes with my daughter and need to get rid of these last few pregnancy pounds.

27. Mamalang says:

Just found your site through linky love, and I have to think that maybe I’m meant to try SB. I’ve been considering it for the last week, even borrowed the book. But this weekend is the beginning of “that week of the month” and right after that is my birthday, so I think I will start for real right after that. Why set myself up for failure from day one…lol. I’ll be checking back to see how it’s going!