The Spirit Of The Law

What I say:  "If you’re not going to wear that shirt, please go hang it back up."

What my son evidently hears:  "As long as it’s suspended, in some form or fashion, over the floor of your closet, it’s all good."

Closet

40 thoughts on “The Spirit Of The Law

1. Antique Mommy says:

“Hang Up” can be defined in many ways, as in one might have a “hang up” about “hanging things up” in a prescribed manner, say with a hangar. This can be very confusing when one has more importan things to do. Like play outside.

2. Barbara H. says:

We used to say our middle one could be a lawyer with his penchant for finding loopholes and dissecting what we actually said (vs. what he knew we meant — or at least what we thought he should know we meant.) We had to learn to be very specific, too. Saying, “Please put the dog food away” after a grocery trip would land the bag of dog food cans on the laundry room floor. Further admonition would get the bag of cans in the cabinet where the dog food goes. I started having to say, “Please take the dog food to the laundry room and take the cans out of the bag and put them in the cabinet.” (Rolls eyes.)
    He’s 19 now and has pretty much gotten past that — it does get better!! But we do still occasionally “But I thought you meant….”

3. mopsy says:

Your son and I share the same clothes-hanging philosophy. If it’s off the floor, it’s all good……
    I’m impressed you *hang* t-shirts! 🙂

4. Julie says:

So nice to know I’m not alone…What’s a real bummer is when the closet doors have fallen off and you have to LOOK at the clothes every time you walk in!

5. Karen says:

I just had this conversation last night with a group of moms as we were waiting for our 10 year old daughters to finish softball practice…funny how we all go through this. I love motherhood…it totally cracks me up.

6. Sally says:

It’s not just with boys. My 2 daughters’ closets look just like this photo!! Come to think of it, mine does too, I wonder where they learned it??

7. Dana says:

What I want to know is…how did you get in my son’s closet to take that picture? ha ha Seriously, my son is 12 and this is EXACTLY what he does!!! But he also, when he takes clothes off the hangar, pulls the hangar so hard (you see, it is WAY too much trouble to take the hangar off the rack) that they often BREAK in half. Boys!!!

8. Shalee says:

At least it wound up in the closet instead of in the laundry basket… which is what, if you can’t guess, my daughter does – to which I lay it back on the bed and have her put it away where it belongs. No sense doing MORE than I already have to do.

9. Jennifer D says:

LOL – must be a boy thing! I never know WHAT I’ll find in my son’s closet. I find clothes wadded up in the bottom. I also find dirty clothes stuffed into drawers. Yuck!

10. Amy says:

In my experience, they don’t grow out of this. I am hoping that my son doesn’t pick up Daddy’s bad habits!

11. grafted branch says:

If there were more pinks and baby blues, I’d have guessed that was my Fifi’s closet!
    We simply must betroth your son to my daughter and let God bring forth children after their own kind. They’ve got it coming! lol. 😉

12. Zoe says:

my 15 year old seems to think that as long as it makes it past the threshold of his room it’s ok. Seriously! I sent him up with various different items the other week, including some brand new items he had bought the previous day and when I went up later, they were ALL dumped at the entrance to his room, right in the doorway!

13. Susane says:

What were you doing at my house taking a picture of my kid’s closets? :vD Funny how something always goes missing in the translation with kids.