Invasion of the Pod People

I’m sorry–I know my last few posts have all been short, choppy, fluffy filler posts, haven’t they?

But here’s the deal, y’all:  I have discovered podcasts.  And the world shall never be the same again.

And less important things like blogging and housework and personal hygiene are taking a backseat at the moment, while I feed this new monster.

For those of you who jumped on the iPod bandwagon a long time ago, I’m just curious–found any podcasts that you adore?  At the moment, I’m subscribing to John Piper, Grammar Girl, and (oh, YES!) The Lost Experience.  Maybe if you can turn me on to some more, I could give up eating and sleeping altogether, and just sit in a corner with my handy little iPod, a sad (yet hip!) specimen of humanity.

So…what podcasts do you recommend?

30 thoughts on “Invasion of the Pod People

1. Everyday Mommy says:

“blogging and housework and personal hygiene”…SNORT! That cracked me up!
    I like the Grace to You podcast with John MacArthur and Truth for Life with Alistair Begg.

2. susan says:

Check out This American Life on NPR. I love it! The hour-long current shows are free each week and you can purchase old shows for $0.99 each. For starters try the episode titled The House at Loon Lake. I promise you won’t be disappointed!!

3. peach says:

We listen to Denton Bible Church out of Denton, TX. Tommy Nelson has an excellent series on the Song of Solomon every couple should listen to at some point in their pre-married or married life. We also love anything Dave Ramsey has done, tho’ incredibly convicting. Sit down for his podcasts.
    If you like NPR stuff at all, you must listen to Garrison Keillor — a little bawdy at times, but definitely worth a chuckle or two.
    My DP has a number of other pastors he listens to regularly, but I won’t bore you with them all here. Email if you run out of ideas for making your iPod an extra extremity.

4. Lindsey says:

okay, I only listen to one podcast and its the BEST THING EVER!!! If you’re a Harry Potter fan, subscribe to Mugglecast by the people at mugglenet.com. It’s completly free and completly AMAZING! Try it out!

5. Kendra says:

I am going to sound SO old right now, but I don’t even own an IPod. Honestly, I don’t know what a podcast is. Maybe I should do some research because it sounds like I’m missing out!

6. mopsy says:

My husband loves podcasts. He listens to “The Official Lost” podcast, done by the producers. He also listens to Alistair Begg’s “Truth for Life”, “This Week in Tech”, “This Week in Media”, and “Tiki Bar TV” (which is a video podcast).

7. Midsummer Night says:

I always recommend:
    Pediacast – A pediatric podcast for parents. He is interesting to listen to and he has great information!
    And on the lighter side:
    NPR’s “Wait Wait… Don’t tell Me!” I don’t always agree with all their views, but I love their humor.

8. Diatribal says:

The two I was going to suggest were “This American Life” and “Wait, Wait…Don’t tell Me!” They are both from NPR. I noticed you have already been told about them, but let me reiterate, they are fabulous!!! πŸ™‚
    Enjoy your new life. You may never be the same!

9. Missy says:

Shannon,
    I don’t have an iPod, but I love my cheapy little mp3 player!
    These aren’t actually podcasts, but I have been enjoying the Covenant Seminary classes that are available online. I’m currently working on The Life & Teachings of Jesus by Doriani. It’s outstanding.
    Have you ever listened to Tim Keller? I can’t recommend his sermons highly enough. There is a list of his sermons here.
    Did you know you can download books from our library? I have been loading Hubby with books to listen to on his commute. He loves it.

10. kelli says:

I totally agree with NPR’s “Wait, Wait … Don’t Tell Me”.
    We also download Stan Simmon’s – our old pastor from Faith Chapel in Billings. That man can TEACH! (www.faithchapel.cc) And oh! how we miss him.

11. jodijean says:

ok, so i’ve had my ipod for 2 years and i must admit that i’ve never listened to a podcast (sad yes i know.) i just may have to try some of these out. especially the lost experience. my hubby wont watch lost with me, so my only outlet is to catch your blog on thursday … hmmm you can never have too much lost.

12. April W says:

I see it has been said already but the one and only one I listen to is Dave Ramsay, he is the Dr.Phil of the money world ! I love when he tells people how dumb they are , always gives me a giggle. I will have to check some others out. Good luck!

13. Emily says:

I definitely recommend Nancy Leigh DeMoss in Revive our Hearts. You can find her at her website ReviveOurHearts.com.
    She is great!
    Emily

14. Rachel says:

Allistair Begg at Truth For Life – I listen every day while on the tread mill!
    Also, Tim Keller is awesome. Search for Redeemer Presbyterian Church.
    My husband and I owe them a lot!
    Blessings,
    Rachel

15. Cyndee says:

For those of you without i-pods, you can listen to podcasts on your computer without an i-pod. Just download itunes at apple.com and go to the library and browse podcasts. Most of them are free. It isn’t mobile, but you can join us ipod addicts via the computer.
    Shannon-my favorite podcasts are from NorthPoint ministries with Andy Stanley at http://www.northpoint.org/messages. He is a great speaker and really makes me think. I also catch up on missed sermons from my church at http://www.eaglebrookchuch.com.
    Good luck and happy listening.

16. Susan says:

I have not discovered podcasts. Until this very minute where I am now going to be totally consumed by them. My husband thanks you. My boss thanks you. Did I mention I have been sitting at my desk “working” and watching The Office on my iPod? And Lost? But really…I’ve been working at the same time. πŸ™‚ And also the house cleaning, blogging, personal care issues…been there, not doing them either!

17. cattailmama says:

Erwin McManus at http://www.mosaic.org/podcast
    He’s a ….preacher/pastor/speaker….I’m not sure what you’d call him but he speaks at Mosaic which is a …church/community gathering in LA. Very ‘outside the box’ believer and worth listening to. He just did a month long series on Romance which is great. All the podcasts listed are great.

18. Jessica says:

My absolute #1 recommendation would be Way Of The Master Radio
    I also subscribe to:
    John MacArthur (Grace To You)
    Ravi Zacharias
    Johnny Hunt
    Bob Coy (Active Word)
    Revive Our Hearts
    1-Year Bible on Radio
    The Narrow Mind (Unchained Radio)
    Faith and Reason with Matt Slick with CARM.org
    There are to many to list and my husband said that I should surgically implant my headphones because they are always in. I am actually looking into wireless headphones because I use them soooooooooo much.
    I am excited that you have discovered this new world. Enjoy!