My Last Post To Contain the Word “Carbohydrate”, I Promise

Many of you have kindly asked for an update on my venture into the world of the South Beach diet.  (And I will not, will not use the word "diet" again.  It’s a Lifestyle Change.)  I’ve learned a lot the last few weeks.  Here’s the summary.

I’ve lost seven pounds in three weeks (okay, actually 6.5, but it’s my blog and I can round up if I want to). My husband (eating identical foods and doing identical physical activity) has lost 15.  It’s a good thing I love that man so much; otherwise I’d smother him in his sleep.

That aside, I’m feeling remarkably encouraged.  The South Beach Lifestyle Change (See?  There it is again–) is manageable and healthy.  I don’t feel hungry, and for the most part, I don’t feel tempted to cheat.

Psychologically this Lifestyle Change is easier for me than Weight Watchers ever was (I’ve done WW three times before, and I always fell–or, more accurately, rolled–off the wagon.)  I am, I learned, truly a carb addict.  When Weight Watchers told me I could have a baked potato, or french fries, or a couple of oreos in moderation, it was like telling an alcoholic to drink watered-down vodka.  My carb-craving system just couldn’t handle that freedom (and I had the blood sugar numbers to prove it).  It has actually been quite liberating to tell myself that my potato chip/french fry days are OVER.  I guess I’m an all-or-nothing kind of girl.

By far, the hardest part of this has been changing the way I cook.  Think of every quick and easy and cheap meal you know–they are nearly all bad-carb-laden, I suspect.  This Lifestyle Change is requiring me to re-learn how I cook and shop.  It’s more expensive and more time-consuming–and, I’ll be honest, that’s overwhelming at times.  But I try to remind myself that it’s considerably less expensive and time-consuming than diabetes would be, which is where I fear Hubs and I were heading.

I’ve stocked up on some new cookbooks (recommended by DeeDee). I’ve learned that turnips are a decent substitute for potatoes in a roast, and that there are something that NEVER EVER SHOULD BE DONE with cauliflower. I’ve learned that life without potato chips is surprisingly painless, and that Diet Cokes are even more sacred without the Little Debbie chaser.

So I plan to plug along at this, whittling away at my blood sugar numbers and watching my husband shrink before my very eyes.  At the rate I’m going, I’m months and months away from my weight goal.  But I’ll get there.  I will.

Posted in: Fun

36 thoughts on “My Last Post To Contain the Word “Carbohydrate”, I Promise

1. kelli says:

Ugh- I’m with you on the carb thing. Total, complete addict.
    The fun part in trying to lose weight on dialysis? I get 500 calories of sugar through the solution before. I. eat. a. bite. of food. I mean, seriously- can we talk?!
    I’m going back to WW to start out. I can count points. But, truthfully, I think that I may need the “all or nothing” approach, too. Knowing there are some things I can still eat, for the sacrifice of a few extra points- may not be so understood by the hips.
    CONGRATS though on the 7 pounds, and NOT smothering Mr. Dryer.

2. Cheri says:

I am so with you on the carbs – it’s all or nothing for me. I think WW gave me too many choices. Tell me exactly what to eat, and I’ll loose weight. Give me choices and oh boy, do I have me some fun!
    Keep up the good work!

3. jenn says:

i love the thought of changing a lifestyle rather than going on a diet. but it certainly is easier said than done. i have never been able to make the change all at once – well at least i am using that as my excuse for failing so i am trhing to make little changes one at a time….seems to be working until the stress binges find a way into my lifestyle…sigh….one stop at a time right?

4. Rae says:

Hooray! I’m currently going through a Lifestyle Change too but couldn’t bring myself to do South Beach yet. I might have to though. I have tons of recipes for it, let me know if you ever need any!
    I tagged you for a meme over at my place. If you don’t feel like participating/don’t have the time…no worries! Oh and men are programmed to lose weight faster than women..so no worries there either! =)

5. JanB says:

Seven pounds is incredible! Men take it off faster because their metabolism is more efficient – they have more muscle to fat then we have and muscle burns fat.
    I have been working on my diet too, it’s not South Beach and I do say the diet word – but it’s my own concoction of cutting sugars except for in fruit and keeping my fats low (under 25 gms) and my calories between 1200 and 1500. I am also on Merida, which helps a lot. But then I have a LOT to lose.
    Keep going! They say that nothing tastes as good as thin feels. I am hoping that’s true.

6. Mich says:

Yeah!!!! You are awesome! Maybe we should start a 12 step club or something. Hi, My name is Michelle and I’m a carb/sugar addict. So hard to go sugar/carb free with kids. Again you are doing GREAT!

7. TCC says:

I agree about their “disguised” mashed potatoes. I would rather never have mashed potatoes again then eat that!!!
    I unfortunately allowed myself carbs again and so am attempting to truly lifestyle change rather than diet this time around. If you haven’t tried it yet (I think at least one of these are in the gold SB recipe book) the recipes for almond chicken, pistachio chicken and sesame chicken are good and relatively easy to prepare.

8. trixie says:

I’m glad to hear you are doing so well on your diet… er.. lifestyle change:)
    Do you physically feel much better?
    When I think about it, most of my favorite recipes do feature lots of bad carbs. For example, for dinner this week, I actually served (eeek, all in one sitting) Chicken, stuffing, peas AND rolls. LOL
    Take Care,
    Trixie

9. Katiebod says:

my hubs does the same thing. He whittles down TWICE as fast as me… although it’s frsutrating, I just think of it as getting a hottie hubby twice as fast, πŸ™‚ (poor him, he’ll have to wait a while on my end, though 😦

10. dcrmom says:

Good for you!! My mom had great success on this diet, er, I mean, lifestyle change. LOL. Until she got braces, anyway. Now carbs are her friend b/c she can’t chew meat and lettuce so easily, but I digress.
    I’m an all-or-nothing girl too. Keep up the good work!!

11. Miriam Pauline says:

Well done! We started the South Beach Lifestyle on Jan 8. I’ve lost 28 pounds, which I find amazing. The person I love and choose not to smother with his pillow has lost 35, lol It works–and the cooking and shopping gets easier. Hang in there!

12. Mrs. Schmitty says:

Good for you! I’ve considered the SBD many times but I don’t know if I would last. I am a HUGE carb addict. I don’t know if I could get through the first 2 days.

13. Mrs. Schmitty says:

14. Homeschool Mama says:

I hear you on the all or nothing thing. I somehow survived my first week of Phase One. But I’m a little scared about adding back in carbs. Fruit I can handle.

15. nicole says:

Good for you for making a commitment to your health and keeping it. I am struggling to really eliminate some of the junky food I eat. I go in stages where I do really well, and then I get off track. I am at least exercising more than I ever have in my life.
    You and your husband are doing a great thing, for yourselves and your kids. I hope you will continue to share your successes (and struggles) with us.

16. Lucy says:

Have you checked out Savingdinner.com? I’ve used it in the past and love it! It’s a menu service and you can sign up for practically any type you want, such as low-carb. I enjoyed learning to use more seasonings (I hardly ever use salt to season anymore). I was never much of a cook, but now I am! The service is very inexpensive and there’s all kinds of options, whether you want weekly menus, freezer meals, etc. It’s run by Leanne Ely, who works with Flyday (and writes for ediets.com), so you might already be familiar with the Menu Mailer. But I thought I’d suggest it, since it’s helped me so much in becoming a better, healthier cook.

17. Nikki says:

Great post! Good for you and your hubby starting off with an incredibly encouraging weight-loss already.
    You have such a gift for writing. And I totally had an “aha!” moment when you said:
    “It’s more expensive and more time-consuming–and, I’ll be honest, that’s overwhelming at times. But I try to remind myself that it’s considerably less expensive and time-consuming than diabetes would be, which is where I fear Hubs and I were heading.”
    So thank you for sharing this!

18. Gretchen says:

I applaude your “lifestyle change”. πŸ™‚ I, too am endeavoring to “make better, more healthful choices”. So far, I’ve lost 10 pounds since Easter, but of course lost my $100 in the weightloss pool. Missed my $50 payback by THAT much (1.5 pounds!). I suppose $100 is cheaper than disease, as well. Sure would’ve bought me a cute pair of shoes and a nice skirt, though. πŸ™‚ As always, I really enjoy your blog.

19. Megan says:

Yay! Glad it’s working out for you. I enjoyed (???) the month we spent doing it for the sake of learning some new things, but it really sent our grocery budget out the window and we simply can’t do that all the time.
    πŸ™‚

20. Shannon - For This Season says:

Ok, I was with you on this when you started – but, tragically fell off the wagon! This might be the inspiration I needed to get back on. I KNOW I need to do this. My DH has lost 15 pounds also!!! Well, I guess those mashed potatoes I’m cooking for dinner will not be going on my plate. Keep us posted – you have no idea how helpful this can be….thanks!

21. Sonya says:

Hearing your success has been good for me! I’m about to start this “lifestyle change” and needed to hear someone say they’d lost some weight! I want to lose 20lbs. and I hope I can stick to this. I am a sugar nut and that’s my downfall. I hope to start the two week NO carb challenge on Monday. I’ll keep reading to see how you are doing!

22. Nic says:

I started my own lifestyle change about a year ago. I didn’t cut carbs out but I did add lots of fruit and vegetables and exercise, and I feel so much better! Sounds like you’ve chosen a good road too.