Backyard Art

I browsed through some photography blogs over the weekend and was feeling inspired.  We had a gorgeous Sunday, perfect for an evening cookout, so I tried to catch some artsy-fartsy shots of life-as-usual in my own backyard (and I figured I’d better do it QUICK! before everything shrivels up dead in the Oklahoma summer):

There’s nothing spectacular about the picture below, except that I love the little yard stakes of the four kids and dog playing cheerfully together.  Though if they were kicking each other and the dog was throwing up, it would be considerably more realistic:

Backyard1_2

Backyard2

Backyard3

I planted this hydrangea three years ago; this is the first year it’s actually looked like anything worth writing home about:

Backyard4

Backyard5

Is there anything more calming and satisfying than a big, healthy hosta?  I think not:

Backyard6

Backyard7

Shots like this one of our backyard tree make the hours (and hours and hours and hours) of raking in the fall ALL worth it:

Backyard10

Surely it was only twenty minutes ago this big feet were tiny little things, kicking me from inside my rib cage.  Now look at them:

Backyard11_2

Backyard12

Backyard13

Backyard14

No snarky comments about portion control, thank-you-very-much:

Backyard15

25 thoughts on “Backyard Art

1. Char says:

What a beautiful garden you have! With such cute little ornaments everywhere… My fingers are so NOT green, everything I touch turns to compost. :o(

2. Toblerone says:

Sigh… You make me really miss having a backyard. That’s probably the thing I’ve missed most since moving to our new country.

3. Trixie says:

Your photos are terrific! Esp. the one of the tree from underneath. I love to look up at them from that angle.
    Trixie

4. faith says:

Great pictures! I especially love the sidewalk chalk. And I think it’s really cool, b/c I have the same plates as you….I love them!!!

5. momrn2 says:

These are great pic’s! I’m trying to get my landscaping going this year, and am finding the deer are thrilled. Gggrrrr… I so enjoy having the deer around but we are going to have to come to an understanding.
    I planted 3 hosta and after the first night 1 is gone down to the ground, one has 2 leaves left, and then I guess they got full. The other was left.
    I found an egg mixture spray that I am now spraying on the plants and so far… they remain as they did after that first night.
    *sigh*…. But yours look absolutely LOVELY!

6. Ellen B. says:

Love the Celtic cross thingee and the feet and the plate of food…
    OOO Oak la homa where the wind comes sweeping down the plains,(hope I remembered the words correctly, sorry couldn’t resist)!

7. Barb says:

I love your artsy-fartsy photos, Shannon, especially the not so little any more feet and the sidewalk chalk. 🙂

8. Shalee says:

Love your artsy-fartsy moments, Shannon, especially the one with the feet.
    Your eating is SO much better than mine. You’ll be hearing nothing about food portion from me. However, I did talk myself out of a Little Debbie Swiss Roll yesterday, and that should count for something, right?

9. Thea says:

That’s a great shot of your tree, and I love the colors of the chalk against the brick. Beautifus! VERY artsy-fartsy!

10. GiBee says:

One simple question … do you still like to “kiss those piggies” now that they are no longer “toddler” sized???