Some Days They’re So Sweet That Your Heart Could Pop Right Open

As I’ve told you, Corrie has been pretty rattled since the Sinister Flush of Death incident.  There has been nary a drop of tinkle make it into a public potty ever since.

Today, once again, I tried to encourage her to give it a whirl at McDonald’s.  I coaxed and begged and affirmed my heart out, but she would have none of it.  Thinking that I would prove to her that the potty wouldn’t flush us both to oblivion, I demonstrated by sitting on it myself.  As I sat there, she looked up at me worriedly, then threw her chubby little arms around me, whispering, "I gotcha, Momma.  You safe."

Oh, my heart.

26 thoughts on “Some Days They’re So Sweet That Your Heart Could Pop Right Open

1. MommaBlogger says:

Awww, how sweet. My kids hate the loud flushing noises, too. I still have to convince them not to put their germ ridden hands that were just hanging on to the toilet for balance over their ears to stop themselves from hearing the awful noises of the flushing.

2. Andie says:

OH My Goodness…How adorable! Those are the moments that you just want to bottle up and be able to pull them out another day to enjoy again and again!
    Blessings-
    Andie

3. Kasi says:

When my boys were potty training I had one of those portable plastic toilet seat looking things that folded up in half then half again. When open, it would fit over a public toilet seat with a smaller opening for ‘tiny hinies’. Maybe something like that would help her out, ya know, the hole wouldn’t seem so BIG!

4. Sincerely Anna says:

We had one of those folded up toilet seats that I carried around, too, until Jake sat on it and it broke! Poor kid fell right in!
    I had forgotten about that until now. Ha ha!

5. Laura says:

Oh, I love that story. It never ceases to move me at how thoughtful our kids can be. They truly love their mommies and don’t mean to make things hard for us.(even when they do!!) Love the stories you’ve posted on your blog!!

6. Barbara H. says:

Aw — that’s so sweet!
    One of me WFMW tips a while back was to take a length of toilet paper and drape it over the sensor. I was thinking along the lines that I didn’t want it splashing me.:) They didn’t have these things when mine were potty-training, so I didn’t make that connection, but some moms said that would help their little ones who were afraid of it because of the loudness. Maybe if you demonstrated to her how to cover the sensor, and perhaps offered to let her do it (or not — she may want you to) that might help? Hopefully, eventually, anyway. πŸ™‚

7. Jane says:

Seems she knows the golden rule of girlhood, always go to the bathroom with a buddy! As a recovered public bathroom flushaphobe myself, I know how she feels! Recently though in one of the WFMW posts, someone suggested putting a post it note over the sensor so the auto flush wouldn’t go until you are ready. This tip has been helpful to me as I want to have that door wide open when I do flush!

8. Kari says:

How sweet.
    I still have to stand with my hand covering the little “eye” on an automatic toilet So that it doesn’t go off until he’s ready for it.

9. Kelly says:

Aren’t little girls this age just the sweetest? My little girl is about the same age as yours. My sister and I were hanging out chatting when we did the laugh-so-hard-you-start-to-cry thing. My little girl ran and got a Kleenex before coming over to console me “It’s okay Mommy, don’t cry.” I completely agree, someone has got to figure out a way to bottle the sweetness!
    Blessings~

10. Faerylandmom says:

That is too precious! I read it to my husband, and even he was touched. I read him your Sinister Flush of Death post too, and we both related. Same thing happened to our son, except that he also fell IN.