Trust

You didn’t know I was watching you play with the kids this evening.

You stood at the foot of our stairs with our two youngest, giving each of them a chance to jump off the fourth step, into your arms.

Corrie wasn’t sure.  It was a leap for her, literally and figuratively, and it would require a few inches of being airborne before she landed in your arms.  "I’ll catch you," you said quietly.

But Joseph, with the wisdom of a boy who has been around the block with his daddy a few times, knew just what to do.  He confidently climbed to that step, and he looked over his shoulder to make sure his little sister was watching.  Then with utter abandon, utter trust, he launched himself, laughing, into the air.

And you caught him.

Of course you did.  You always do.

It is hard to imagine a greater gift this side of Heaven than knowing that my children have a daddy who will catch them, every time.

45 thoughts on “Trust

1. Sally says:

I used to jump from the stairs into the arms of my Dad when I was a kid, too!! I am now 45 and he is 82, so those days are long past, but it brings back wonderful childhood memories!!

2. Laura says:

What a sweet post. I love it. My kids have a daddy that will catch them everytime and that is one of the reasons I love him so much!

3. Tracy says:

Tears, sniff, sniff. What a sweet tribute to your husband leading up to Father’s Day. Thank you for sharing it.. I need to give DH a hug after reading this.

4. boomama says:

Well, I’m bawling now.
    What a precious gift you and your children share in your sweet hubby.
    Absolutely beautiful post, Shannon.

5. Stephanie says:

You have such a great writing style. You know exactly how to make the reader feel what you were feeling when you wrote this. What a beautiful story!

6. S. says:

Well, I just have to delurk and tell you that I loved this post! It was so touching I teared up. You tapped into one of the utmost desire’s of my heart…to one day, hopefully, experience this for myself.
    S.

7. Anonymous says:

Shannon,you have such a gift for writing…you could write your own “Chicken Soup For the Soul”…the entire book !!!!(in fact, I print out every tear-jerking post that you write and I’ve created a Shannon file!!!)

8. Andrea says:

Pass the kleenex! That was so sweet – and a great reminder of the wonderful daddy my kids are blessed with, too. Thank you!

9. Mandy says:

My wonderful daddy (gone seven years now) used to catch us when we leaped off the kitchen counter. Thanks for reminding me of that precious memory.

10. Jill says:

hope your hubby reads your blog. I posted about my dad and my hubby on mine for Father’s day and made my dad cry. That never happens so it was special. Somehow it is sometimes easier to write this stuff in a semi anonymous forum than tell them. Why is that?

11. Melissa says:

That brought tears to my eye! I love those times when they don’t know you are watching and you see some of those memorable moments. Thanks for sharing such a beautiful post!
    Mel

12. Andi says:

Shannon, beautiful imagery!
    My father, a big tall muscular man, was not one I could trust. I remember him throwing me in the air and walking away…me coming down just in time to land in the arms of his brother or best friend who stepped in to catch me. Dad thought it was a great funny trick (knowing his best friend and brother was standing right there, as it was planned) but your story reminds me why I have so many trust issues with him. He literally and figuratively would never catch me when I was falling. Thank you for helping that epiphany come forward!
    I look forward to witnessing your types of stories with my husband, whom I trust implicitly. I know he’ll be a great father to our little one.