What’s Next?

Until this weekend, I was the owner of a 25-year-old dishwasher that (I do not exaggerate) audibly groaned when you used it.

Last week, it died a remarkably noisy and burnt-plastic-smelling death, so we replaced it with a shiny new model on Friday.  We got it all hooked up, and Hubs read the directions for me (it is a given in this family that if it plugs in and has buttons, I will not read the manual).

He informed me that the instructions specifically say that you should not pre-rinse your dishes before loading them.

I beg your pardon?

There are just some things a girl just doesn’t do.  You don’t wear white shoes after Labor Day.  You don’t leave the price sticker on a gift.  And you don’t load the dishwasher without pre-rinsing.

The idea is just shocking.  Shocking!

This model has a food-chopper-upper (yes, that’s the technical name) and the manual says that it’s a "waste of energy resources" to pre-rinse dishes.  Evidently the 2.6 seconds it takes to rinse off a dinner plate will irrevocably destroy the ozone layer and kill all the baby seals in Africa.  Or Antartica.  Or wherever.

Because I’m nothing if not "green", I did my part for the environment by putting my dishes directly in the new dishwasher.  No rinsing.  Not a drop.

Y’all, it was one of the hardest things I’ve ever done.  I looked at the dirty dish, looked at the sink, looked at the dishwasher, looked back at the dirty dish–and throwing caution to the wind, I put the plate right in.

It felt so strange.  But I’m happy to report that my dishes and I survived this daring behavior.  The plates are clean, and I have manged to carve 45 seconds of pre-rinsing off my list of daily responsibilities.  But I am changed.

Oh, yes, I am changed.

Next thing you know I’ll be skipping conditioner.  Or waiting more than two weeks to send a thank-you note.  Or dancing on tables at a night club.

Y’all might need to add a parental block to ol’ Rocks In My Dryer.

42 thoughts on “What’s Next?

1. Natalie Joy says:

My Uncle has worked for a very well known appliance company’s research and development department for many years. When he saw me pre-rinse at my mom he just about had a heart attack. Then I got a scolding. It is actually BAD for the diswasher if you pre-rinse. The washer and the detergent have nothing to do if there aren’t food particles to scrub away. So, then the detergent suds will clog up the innards of your pretty brand new dishwasher. So follow the instructions. And, congrats on the new dishwasher. Probably almost as delightful as a new dryer!?

2. Kara says:

I rarely pre-rinse, it’s just a waste of time to me lol. I don’t do anything I can that will make chores take longer.
    Natalie- I will have to tell DH that info lol, he always scrubs dishes by hand before putting them in the dishwasher, drives me nuts. I say do it one way or the other but there’s no point in putting clean dishes in a dishWASHER πŸ˜€

3. Karen says:

Oooh, ooh, ooh…. I cannot wait to get me one of those! (But I’ll have to… 3 more years until my husband retires from the Air Force and we can live in a home of our own again.) More details, please… Brand and model??

4. Karen@FamilyBriefs.com says:

Yes, we were so excited to get a dishwasher that actually tells you to do less work! DON’T RINSE! Terribly hard to do the first time, but I promise you’ll never go back! Congrats on the new dishwasher!

5. Jeanette says:

Isn’t it the most unnatual thing you’ve ever done in your life?? I might as well comb my toenails, clip my eyelashes, and shave my foreheatd. Who thought this up anyway, not prescrubbing your dishes? Is this some NASA flunkie?? I prerinse my dishes as though the earth and the stars depended on it. All hail the prefinse….until I embrace the concept of change……

6. Florinn says:

I have a no-rinse DW as well, and I love it! I just read yesterday that you can actually use vinegar instead of jet-dry to keep spots off your dishes, and that it increases the life of your DW as well because it takes off mineral buildup in the pipes & water tubes.
    As for being earth-friendly, I just blogged about it at Divertimenta. There is such a thing as being Green-extreme and actually hurting the environment.

7. Christy says:

I am so jealous. I have a 1971, original to our house dishwasher. I HAVE to pre-rinse or there is crusted food on the dishwasher. I know we could get a new one that is much better for a couple hundred bucks but my DH wants to wait until we redo the entire kitchen. He is scared that a new dishwasher will start that ball rolling and he’s not quite ready for that.

8. janet says:

yes, I am interested in make and model too. I know you researched it like you did with your dyson. We’re ready for a new dishwasher and like to compare a couple brands but there are too many to look at all of them. Make it easy on us, which one should we look at first?

9. Laura says:

I was feeling pretty proud of the 20 seconds I managed to save myself last week with my new gizmo but now I see you’ve managed to save 45 seconds!! I wonder if I’ll be able to top that now…lol!
    Laura

10. liz says:

I too find it reallllly hard not to pre-rinse. I would say that I “sorta” rinse. I just can’t help it. Having said that, they also told us that it actually works better when the dishes are dirty. That sounds ridiculous, doesn’t it?

11. Sally says:

Why is it that even with these new appliances that save us work, we still find it so hard break our old habit of pre-rinsing?? I watched my Mom pre-rinse for years and I developed the same habit too.
    My dishwasher is 4 years old and I am still having trouble stopping the pre-rinsing. Sounds like I had better start or I might ruin my dishwasher. I know I don’t want to ever go back to handwashing everything again!!

12. lisa h. says:

well, we apparantly bought the wrong dishwasher 2 weeks ago…i’m still prerinsing! congrats on your new time saver (and rebellion)!

13. Llama Momma says:

Oh yeah, we’ve got a food chopper-upper in our dishwasher too. It’s a beautiful thing!!
    (Though my mother-in-law simply cannot do it. She must pre-rinse the dishes.)

14. Doris says:

My dishwasher also groaned, for 3 years. With two teens I let it groan till it died. I got used to the no rinse/chopper thing a lot easier than I did the inside set up which is completely different from my old one.
    Now, my dryer is moaning and groaning. Hoping it lasts another 3 years!

15. Meg says:

I am the manual reader in our family…my hubby never reads the directions! Our dishwasher is almost ten years old…we basically wash them once in the sink and put them through the dishwasher for good measure…I can’t imagine putting them in dirty and them coming out CLEAN! WOW! That is awesome. What will you do with all the extra time?

16. chilihead says:

1. I’ll totally dance on tables with you.
    2. Was that a hint that you never received a thank you for Wild Thing’s birthday gift LAST MONTH?!? Don’t feel bad. No one got one.
    3. You completely cracked me up on this one.

17. Roy says:

OK, how about a comment from a husband who both washes the dishes and reads manuals and is an engineer/scientist by bent and traing?
    Consumer Reports says don’t rinse. So does the dishwasher manual. But, 1) both demand special extra additives as the price (more chemicals vs more water green tradeoff), and 2) (most important) the dishes don’t always get clean. The latter means an overall time (and green) cost increase.
    Point: try no rinse. But let experience with your tool provide the guide.

18. MommaBlogger says:

The first dishwasher my husband bought me was one that had the food processor in it. It was a nice portable one that we bought so that we could have additional counter top space. (Our first place was a dinky little place with no counters whatsoever). We recently moved into a place with an older built-in dishwaher that DOES NOT have the built in food processor, and I am in a bad place. Nothing gets clean, and since I have kids to load the dishwasher, a lot of food gets caught. It’s a nightmare for me.

19. Antique Mommy says:

If you run your dishwasher everyday that’s okay, but I don’t and Oh! The smell of yesterdays meatloaf everytime I open the dishwasher. I’ll keep rinsing mine.

20. T with Honey says:

Welcome to the club! I’ve been a ‘no pre-rinse dishwasher’ for seven years and still going strong. All I do is scrape the big stuff into the trash and load them into the dishwasher. They can even sit there for 3 days before washing and still come out sparkling clean.

21. Elaine says:

I am not a rinser either. But the rinsers I know are “die hard” rinsers. Common sense does dictate not to let anything overly stinky and disgusting sit in your dishwasher for days on end. Congratulations on stepping out.

22. Amy says:

Wow! That is crazy! What will they think of next? Hopefully a child’s shirt that can instantly clean chocolate pudding stains…hmmm, that would be nice!

23. SingForHim @Real Life says:

You WILD WOMAN! Not pre-rinsing! I can relate to this, since we just went from one of those noisy portable dishwashers that didn’t clean anything to our nice new, quiet one in our new house. 45 seconds x 365 days = …. a lot more free time!

24. MamaLady says:

I am paying the price right now for not pre rinsing. My dishwasher is a mess and it’s only 2 years old.
    I am so jealous of your new machine!
    Now, use that free time you have wisely, ok?

25. tiffany says:

I’m thinking that my pre-rinsing is taking more than 45 seconds and is not one of my favorite jobs… so I think that dish washy sounds awsome!

26. Melessa, also a Mommy of Four says:

It’s my DH who won’t read directions and he just cringes every time I load our new one. (Fortunately, he solves this by not watching very often.) It was really hard for me not to rinse too-but I got over it. ;>)

27. Jenn says:

Someone else probably already said this because I didn’t take the time to read all the comments because I used up that time pre-rinsing before I put the plates in the dishwasher but THANK YOU because seriously though, my new dishwasher said sort of the same thing but I can’t shake all that training I had growing up to rinse my plate! Can’t do it.
    On a LOST note, to TOTALLY change the subject, I briefly caught a glimpse of Claire on our Much Music Video Awards show here in Canada (which was live I might add) and she had shorter hair, Could that mean, since her hair is cut, that next season they are off the island? Or do you suppose all the filming is done for next season? Ok, so I’m totally over analyzing the hair sighting…I mean Claire sighting.

28. Jeannette says:

My grandmother still washes all of her dishes before she puts them in the dishwasher. Then as she is removing them she uses a towel to dry them. I am not sure why we use this modern day contraption. It is new. When we are there we never know if there are clean dishes or dirty (:)) dishes in the dishwasher.

29. Cheri says:

Congrats on the new dishwasher. I have one of those too, however I can’t NOT pre-rinse. But then my hubby says I wash the dishes before they go in there anyway. LOL

30. Shalee says:

I’m with GiBee. Call me when you do the table dancing thing so that I can get there in time. I need to learn a thing or two…
    (And congrats, you new dishwasher owner, you!)