Works For Me: Vintage Postcards

Wfmwheader I’m pulling an old WFMW tip out of the archives to post today.  I originally posted this last summer.

Most people have a place that is important to them–maybe a hometown, or the place they attended college, or a favorite vacation spot, etc.  If you go to Ebay and do a search on "vintage postcards", plus the name of the location you have in mind, you might be surprised to see how large the selection is (and how cheap they are!).  The vintage postcards often have a beautiful look–they’re perfect for framing.

For example, when my brother and his wife moved back to the midwest from Philadelphia this past spring, as a housewarming gift I bought some vintage Philly postcards and framed them…voila!  A very personal gift (and inexpensive too, but don’t tell my brother!).  Here’s the finished project:

Dscn1862

We lived in downtown Chicago early in our marriage, and I’ve begun a collection of vintage postcards showing various Chicago landmarks.  When I have enough of them collected, I plan to frame them in matching frames and hang them in a large group.

41 thoughts on “Works For Me: Vintage Postcards

1. Liza says:

Great idea! Here we have a lot of vintage hawaii postcards. I’ll think about this post next time we need to come up with a gift 🙂

2. Jordan (MamaBlogga) says:

Shannon–I love your idea! I immediately went to eBay and started looking for postcards of places that I knew were sentimental to my friends. Now all I need is a special occasion to give them on!

3. Jordan (MamaBlogga) says:

Here’s something I found in the first few minutes of searching eBay: add the word ‘linen’ into your search string to get older, authentic vintage postcards. (Sorry, but for some reason ‘1990’ doesn’t strike me as vintage.)

4. Mike says:

We did something similar in a bathroom at our old house. They were so cool. I wish we could have found somewhere where they fit in the new house.
    Totally off the topic, but the yellow links are impossible for me to read without highlighting them with the mouse. If it makes a difference, I’m using Firefox.

5. Cara says:

That’s a great idea. Hey, a good anniversary gift for my parents would be a collage of post cards from where they grew up, and various places they lived when first married. Hmmm…
    🙂 Cara

6. Grace says:

What a really beautiful idea! My brother-in-law did this once with a really neat calendar he’d received. Rather than throw it out, he trimmed off the photos and had them framed for a really cool display.

7. Stephanie Scott says:

I’ve done this as well. I spent a year in college abroad, so I collected fun postcards while travelling through Europe. We now have them framed throughout the house, and it makes for fun art, as well as interesting conversations pieces.

8. Jodi says:

what a great idea…these days I don’t go anywhere but wish i thought of this years ago when i was traveling the world! Great blog!

9. Angela says:

OK, I just had to comment and tell you what a super idea this is! We just recently moved to a new state after living in Idaho for 35+ years. I did a quick search for the vintage postcards on ebay and found a set! It will make a fantastic surprise gift for our upcoming 16th anniversary! Thank you for a fantastic idea!

10. MorningSong says:

What a great idea!! I did go on Ebay and this is a great idea!! I am glad you decided to use this old WFMW. 🙂 I have not participated in the WFMW yet but I hopefully I will have a good idea to share soon.
    Thanks again.

11. oh amanda says:

I love it! This is what I’ve been looking for! My sil turns 30 TOMORROW and recently moved to MEXICO! I’d love to get her some postcards of her hometown! THANKS!

12. Callista says:

I’ve finally thought of a WFMW! I’ve been perusing them for weeks now trying to come up with something that I do that I could share with others and I finally thought of something!