Yummy Bow-ness *UPDATED*

I had a bout of crafty fever this weekend, and I made a Fourth-of-July hair bow for my daughter, with enough supplies left over to make one for my niece, too.  I was so pleased with how they turned out that I thought I’d show them off:

Bows

There.  I’m glad that’s done.  Because we all know a girl cannot properly celebrate American independence unless she is fully accessorized.

*UPDATED TO ADD* Thanks so much for all the crafty compliments, which of course was just what I hoped you’d say was completely unnecessary.  *grin*  Several of you asked how to make these.  I’d love to tell you, but it’s a closely-guarded trade secret taught to me by my bow-making mentor; if I were to tell, you the Bow-Making CIA would show up at my house and confiscate my hot glue gun.  What I can tell you is that there are many bow-making tutorials for sale on-line–I have one of them, and it is not terribly hard to teach yourself.  Really, it’s not.

27 thoughts on “Yummy Bow-ness *UPDATED*

1. Clemntine says:

Usually my kids just go in their white skin with their red sunburns and little blue bruises up and down their shins. We’ve been doing it wrong all this time…

2. stephanie says:

Those are adorable! Can I ask what kind of barettes you use underneath on those? My three year old finally has enough hair to be interested in cute hair bows!

3. Karen@FamilyBriefs.com says:

These are absolutely adorable & they look “professionally” made πŸ™‚ Maybe you would consider posting the directions on how you made them or even make a video on UTube giving us the step-by-step directions. You didn’t have anything else to do, right? Thanks for sharing!

4. Amanda says:

Where do you find curly ribbon like that? I’m also interested in what type of clips you used. My 20-month old loves bows. I love the way her mouth looks when she says “bows.” I LOVE HAVING A GIRL.

5. emily says:

man, i can’t do much of ANYTHING unless i’m properly accessorized. πŸ˜‰
    and seriously, weren’t you just saying you were NOT crafty? lies, all lies!

6. Tracy says:

ADORABLE! A whole lot better than the red rubber band I was planning on sticking (very literally) in my daughter’s hair. You have shamed me into coming up with a fancy alternative..

7. Kathy/ Lessons from the Laundry says:

When my daughter was younger we had a book whose main character wore “crazy bows in her hair.” Because I alway emphasized the “CRAZY” when I read the book, I created a phobia with my daughter. She thought something was wrong with the bows. No just her “CRAZY” mother. I’m glad your daughter will tolerate cuteness!

8. Sheryl says:

WAY CUTE! I’m inspired but have no idea how to begin. Please post directions on how to make that curly ribbon.
    Maybe sponsoring a bow contest is in your future?? πŸ™‚

9. Christine says:

My little one’s hair would hold these. HE is young enough that he wouldn’t notice. DH is out of town; bring on the bows! They are that cute.

10. Joanne says:

Oh they are gorgeous! My girls used to always wear beautiful bows like this when they were younger-thanks to my very crafty sister. For independance day and other colorful holidays, I’d paint their nails in red,white, and blue, and add fireworks decals or whatever was appropriate for the holiday. I love girly things!

11. Laura says:

So cute. My 6 year old daughter refuses to let me put anything in her hair, but she might change her mind if I could make such cute bows. Oh wait, that would require me to have some craft talent which I don’t have very much of, hahaha. Beautiful bows!!

12. peach says:

Cutie, cutie pies. Love your craftiness, and it’s not shameful to plug for compliments. I happily give them, especially for something as darling as that.
    I’m so sad no one wears hair bows at our house any more. 😦

13. Kelly says:

I opened your site with my two-year-old little girl in the room. She squealed (I kid you not) “Oh, so cute! I love it!”
    Guess I’d best look into those online instruction manuals…
    Blessings~