Double Digits

Why is ten so hard for a momma?  It’s that darn second digit, the one that sneaks up and inserts itself between a boy and little-boy-ness, edging him closer to manhood.

My oldest boy, Adam, is ten today.  I look at his long legs, his strong hands, his broadening shoulders and the forehead that reaches my chin.  And, more than usual, I think (with a twinge of sadness) of the baby that once could fit in the crook of my arm.

But the sadness doesn’t last.

Because I look back at my boy, and who he is…

…a boy who loves to learn.

…a boy who can deliver a perfect punchline.

…a boy who intuitively reaches for his little sister’s hand in a parking lot.

…a boy who passed me in math skills years ago.

…a boy who considers others.

…a boy with the fastest video game fingers on the planet.

…a boy who has learned, better than his mom, that it isn’t courage unless you’re afraid first.

I see that boy, and I’m so glad he’s mine, and I’m so thankful to have a front row seat for his life.  I wouldn’t go back to those sweet baby days, as precious as they were.  To go back is to miss who he is right now.

And I wouldn’t miss that for the world.

Happy birthday, my sweet boy.  You make Dad and me so proud.

40 thoughts on “Double Digits

1. Laura says:

A front row seat for his life…I love that.
    My daughter turned 10 in April. I know what you mean about those double digits.
    Happy Birthday to your boy!
    Laura

2. Sarah says:

Oh wow…I love this! I have been reading your blog everyday for quite some time now. I have two little boys and this post got me…almost as much as The Young Mother! Happy Birthday to your oldest! πŸ™‚

3. Mummymac says:

I always think there is something about the first and the last – the first to do things is special and the last to do the same things are special too – I have three and sometimes I feel for the middle one for this reason. Thankfully my middle on is my only girl so that makes her special in her own right.
    Have a great day of celebration

4. Jenn says:

Your son and I share the same birthday…only mine came 2 decades before his…yikes πŸ™‚ I hope he has a great day!

5. Cheri says:

*iii* Happy Birthday *iii*
    It’s hard to see them becoming…and yet exciting at the same time. My almost nine year old is under my chin too. I keep wondering how that happened. LOL I hope your guy has a fabulous day!!!

6. hogphan says:

Hey Adam, you’ll probably read this so Happy Birthday to you. Having two parents like you do is a very special gift, I know you know that, just as you are a special gift to them. I’ll see you soon. Pop

7. dawnz says:

A very happy 10th to your sweet boy. I think you summed it up best when you said, “To go back is to miss who he is right now.”. Exactly. I have loved every age with my children and that is why. Enjoy your day!!
    dawnz:)

8. Jen says:

My oldest boy turned 10 in May…and you said what I felt so much better than I ever could! Last night that precious boy fell asleep on the way home from his late game with his head on my shoulder. I didn’t want the ride to end.

9. mom2fur says:

Happy Birthday to your son! Wow, what a cool kid. I especially love that he protects his little sister!
    My youngest turned 17 last week. I agree with you, I wouldn’t go back to the baby days, precious as they were to me. That’s because at every age, there are so many wonderful experiences! My other 3 are in their twenties, and I can tell you, adult children are awesome!

10. Heather L. says:

Great photos and beautiful words. Happy Birthday to your son and you. He sounds much like my son who just turned 9 in January. They are a blessing at any age, but I particularly enjoy having conversations with him and our little inside jokes.

11. Christine says:

“They say it’s your birthday!!!! Happy Birthday to ya!!!” Adam, have fun today, and make sure you get the piece with the most frosting. : )

12. peach says:

Happiest of birthdays, dear Adam. May you continue to grow strong in the Lord and wise with His words. May others come to know Him through you and your life.
    Have a fabulous day, and enjoy, for the rest of your life is in the double-digits!

13. peach says:

Oh, btw, today is JD Green’s half birthday. He’s excited that his half birthday is the longest day of the year, while his real bday is the shortest : }

14. momrn2 says:

Happy Birthday to your dear boy! May it be a day filled with wonderful memories and times to treasure!
    My baby turns the double digits in August. I’m not sure I’m ready for that!!! I can’t believe she will no longer be “one number”… where does the time go???

15. Diane says:

Yes, double digits will make a mom feel that way. And so will the day that he becomes taller than his mom!
    Happy Birthday to your sweet little man!
    Diane

16. bee says:

Gosh, 10 seems so far away! But when I think about how fast the last year went by, I know it’ll be here in no time!
    What a sweet post (and cute picture with the loaf of bread)!
    Happy Birthday Adam!

17. Alli says:

Happy Birthday!!
    Shannon, you’re post was beautiful. I can’t wait to see the kind of young men my boys grow into.
    I loved this “…it isn’t courage unless you are afraid first.” That will stay with me forever.

18. Connie says:

My oldest hit 10 in March. YOu expressed it so well. Thank you. The whole long legged thing rings true with my girl! Gosh, where did the time go? Life goes by and changes so fast. My sweet little tomboy that has played soccer since she was 4, turned 10 and decided she wants to be a cheerleader!

19. pippi says:

Mine turned 11 last month, and I have EXACTLY those same feelings. But I wouldn’t trade him. I am so lucky that I get to be his mom.

20. melanie says:

My first is 6 months old, and I’ve been shocked at the number of people who’ve stopped me to say how much they miss the days when their kids were his age, or even more shocking, how much more they enjoyed the 6-month stage rather than the 3-year (or whatever age) stage their kids are in now. Thanks for the refreshing (and healthy!) perspective on kids growing up. I hope I’m enjoying our boy even more at 10 than I am now!

21. TaunaLen says:

I know just what you mean. My baby boy turned eighteen on Tuesday. I have the best seat in the house! Happy Birthday Adam, and good job Mom.
    ~TaunaLen

22. Chrissy says:

Happy birthday to your (not so) little man! June 21 is a good day – my own boy turns 6 today…he’s the last one, and I don’t even want to think about 10 ;0)

23. becky says:

I love this. My little guy is about six, but I love the way you have written this. May I copy and paste it to save for the future or would you rather I didn’t. Just let me know.

24. Carmen@littlecooksinthekitchen.com says:

I loved that! I love your blog too! I just left your son a comment and he sounds like a funny little kid.
    I remember my 10th birthday like it was yesterday. Well, no I don’t. I’ve had 2 kids and I’ve lost my long-term memory….

25. mistihollrah says:

Happy Birthday to your son. He shares the same birthday as my youngest daughter & my Dad!
    I have a birthday tribute to my daughter on my blog today!

26. Gretchen says:

I just posted about my daughter’s 9th b’day yesterday, and my son will be 11 in 3 weeks. It’s hard, Momma; it’s hard. But it’s also very, very good. blessings.

27. Catherine says:

What a beautiful post. My son will be 10 in December, Lord willing. Belated birthday greetings to him.