What I Did On My Summer Vacation. With Pictures!

I’m still a little fuzzy-brained from all the de-vacationing, even though we truly had a wonderful time.  It’s hard to summarize a ten-day trip, so I’ll just hit a few highlights.

We took a few days to get to our destination, stopping along the way at Dodge City, Kansas, and the Great Sand Dunes outside Alamosa, Colorado.  Both were excellent side trips that we all enjoyed–check out those links if you’re in that part of the country.

This was more than just a vacation, it was a family reunion, of sorts.  There were nearly 30 of us from Clintmy dad’s side of the family, and we met up at a little cluster of cabins by a stream in the mountains of southern Colorado (and yes, it was just as lovely as that last sentence sounds.)

Our cabin was quaint and rustic–just enough to make me feel like we were roughing it.  The life-sized cardboard cutout of Clint Eastwood in our living room just made us feel all welcomed and vaguely threatened every time we walked in.  (I can tell you that when a girl is staying up late reading after inhaling enough campfire smoke, ol’ Clint’s eyes would most surely follow her around the room.)

BunnyThe little town where we stayed hosts an all-American, hot-dogs-and-apple-pie-type of July 4th.  The whole town gathered first for a parade (and yes, that would be the Easter Bunny playing the bass drum.  No, we didn’t ask.)

Downtown4th After the parade, there was a giant gathering in the town square, complete with foot races (Stephen won first place in his round!)  Food, live music and fireworks made for a perfect day.

Other than that, the trip was quiet and uneventful.  Okay, not quiet.  With all the family there, there were nine children age ten and under.  Six of them were age four and under.  Still, I managed plenty of good reading and embroidering.  My boys roamed our little resort freely on their bicycles, and the adults squeezed in a ferocious tournament of Trivial Pursuit, horseshoes and mini-golf.  (Guess which family got its tail kicked?  HintIt was mine.)

I guess the whole week can best be summed up in pictures.  There was a lot of hanging out by the river (and no-o-o-o, this picture’s not posed at all–my children frequently line up quietly side by side and gaze off into the distance reflectively without elbowing each other into the water, don’t yours? *ahem*)….

Byriver

…. and a good bit of family togetherness (this is my mom and my daughter, followed by my Hubs hiking with the kids):

Mimi

Hiking

There were some really proud moments (here’s Stephen at the summit of a "fourteener" he hiked with my Hubs):

Summit

…and some quiet ones:

Walking_2

And enough gorgeous scenery to mull over for months:

Scene1

Scene2

Scene3

Scene4

I’m rested.  Tired, but rested.  (Inside my head that sentence made a lot more sense.)  There’s nothing like a change of scenery to bolster a girl, especially once I can finally get the laundry done (which, at this rate, should be by about Christmas.)

46 thoughts on “What I Did On My Summer Vacation. With Pictures!

1. dcrmom says:

Gorgeous pictures! So much fun!! I like how you creatively got the backs of your children’s heads. I’m gonna have to start working on that technique so I can still post pix. ๐Ÿ™‚

2. Beth/Mom2TwoVikings says:

Absolutely BEE-U-TEE-FULL! Glad you got the time to rest and recoup! Glad you’re “back” – despite those tricky auto-posts which you’ll have to teach me how to do sometime! *wink*

3. Katie says:

Loved your pictures. Especially the one of you trailing behind your family hiking as you try to get the perfect picture of how wonderful that moment was. Not that I’ve ever tried that same shot.

4. Candace says:

Thank you for sharing!! We’re not going on vacation so I got to live through yours.
    The Easter bunny playing the drum cracked me up.

5. mombo says:

This is me, furiously not coveting…o.k. maybe a little…more like a lot. Sounds so good, I’m glad you got to go. At any rate, my sister-in-law says it’s not coveting if you want one just like it. Happy laundering!

6. celina says:

awesome pics..glad you had fun, and on an unrelated note, did you get a kit for redwork or just used white linen?????
    i am so wanting to do this for various xmas gifts
    Celina in Canada

7. Diatribal says:

I love Colorado in the summer! (I’m not a fan of winter sports, so I didn’t care for it so much in the winter!)
    Colorado is so beautiful. It always looks so lush and green. It looks like you had a wonderful time. Glad you got a “recharge”.

8. Becky says:

OK. I can’t help myself. I LIVE in Southern Colorado. Aren’t I lucky? Strangely enough I don’t get out as much as I want to. Isn’t that always the way? I’ve never even hiked a 14er, but my hubs has! Several of them…

9. mcewen says:

I certainly prefer your version to mine! 20 days of record breaking rain – there again that’s my punishment for not staying in the States.
    Cheers

10. Char says:

Wow! Colorado looks like something that belongs only on postcards. Spectacular. Maybe you should come out to South Africa once or twice and have a look see at Cape Town and the Drakensberg Mountains and the Karoo… Consider yourself officially invited by a real live South African! :o)

11. mummymac says:

Wow – great photos.
    You’ve got me in the holiday mood – we’re hoping to camp in August. Just waiting for the better weather!!!!

12. Christine says:

Awww, looks like a fun family time for everyone. CO is so beautiful! Where were you vacationing exactly? I have family in Buena Vista near CO Springs. Gorgeous there.
    P.S. You look just like your mom!

13. Shalee says:

You cut your hair! It looks love-r-ly Shannon.
    And those pictures are encouraging as we’re planning our vacation for next year… Just beautiful and breath-taking. (Just so you know, your “I’m rested. Tired, but rested.” made perfect sense.)

14. Thea says:

Those pictures are beautiful. I especially like the last one and the one of your son at the summit.
    And can I just say I posted about the excruciating pain I was in after summitting a 6288 footer.
    Yeah, your kid rocks.

15. Shelly says:

LOL…Girl – you just take your Christmas time with that laundry. And I loved the beautiful photos. Although the Clint Eastwood cut-out might have been my favorite!!!

16. Sincerely Anna says:

That picture in front of the stream is really cool, even if it wasn’t, say, spontaneous.
    Great vacation pics all around, though! I enjoyed reading about your time together.

17. tiffany says:

That last picture is just sooooooo lovely. But the whole vacation sound just lovely.. it’s so great to spend time with family! ๐Ÿ™‚

18. Corrie says:

I love all of your pictures. We once spent the Fourth of July in Silverton, CO – for being such a small town they sure go all out in the fireworks department.
    I’d love to go back.

19. Kim says:

Looks great! We did almost the same thing with pictures that look a lot like yours! Our trip was to the Smoky Mountains a couple of weeks ago..About 70 of us rented gorgeous log cabins and had a great time!
    Great pictures and I am glad you and your sweet family had a great time! I love seeing everybody…even though you don’t show faces!
    Kim

20. Kim says:

Kim

21. Kim says:

Kim

22. Kim says:

Kim

23. GiBee says:

Wait a sec… did I miss a picture of you with short hair? (Shalee?)
    My word … you look exactly like your mom … or your mom looks exactly like you … I’m so glad you had a great time!

24. Julie says:

Looks like where we went on vacation! Who knows if we crossed paths?? We went to Ouray, Silverton & Durango, CO! We are very blessed to have them so close!

25. Emily says:

How wonderful!! I feel like I’ve gone on vacation just looking at your photos! And I love the one of your mother with your little one. She should have that framed and keep it someplace nearby to always remember that feeling of snuggling.

26. Dianne says:

Yep, it’s a beautiful place and I, too, get to live here! Every year it’s my goal to get out and see more of it though. Your pix just further motivate that goal! Thanks for sharing.
    Blessings,