Much Left To Prove

Yesterday I watched a friend’s children, two little boys, ages 4 and 1.  The youngest boy missed his mom, and he fussed for much of his stay here.  I consoled him while managing to fix dinner for the whole crew, shushing and stirring the macaroni and letting the dog out and replaying Little Bear.  Watching all this, Stephen commented, "Mom, I didn’t know you were such a good baby sitter."

Evidently the last eight-and-a-half years of round-the-clock care of him haven’t been enough to prove my worth in the childcare arena.

25 thoughts on “Much Left To Prove

1. Wendy says:

I loved it when my children finally reached the age when they realized, “Gee, Mom really does a lot for us!” Everyone needs a little recognition and appreciation…including moms. 🙂

2. Christina says:

I think I’m a better mom than babysitter. I have absolutely no patience for other people’s children! 🙂 I watch my friend’s daughter every now and then–she’s a year younger than my four year old–and I want to tear my hair out when she’s around. She’s always TALKING. Is that how all girls are? I’m expecting my third, and it’s going to be a girl. Are they all so gabby?

3. Dawn says:

Ha! My 5yo often stops and says ‘you’re a good mommy, mom.’ Makes it all worthwhile!
    My other favorite is ‘OHHHH, you were right, mommy!’ like it’s a giant surprise that I possibly knew something. And he’s FIVE!!

4. Lisa Boyd says:

My 8yo daughter goes back and forth between telling me that I’m a good mommy to I’m the worst mommy in the world. Usually when she’s mad at me and says I’m the worst, I tell her to take it up with God — He’s the one who hired me for the job and He’s the only one who can fire me 😀
    And yes, Christina, girls DO TALK — all the time. It’s amazing to me how much my daughter can just ramble about video games, tv shows, and generally anything else she thinks about. Oh, and when she’s fighting sleep, the talking picks up!

5. Cindy says:

That put a smile on my face! Thanks.
    Lisa, good move, telling her to take it up with God. I wish I would’ve thought of that one. Of course with two teenagers left at home, it may still come in handy.

6. Saph -Walk With Me says:

Ha ha!! That’s cute!! And I’m laughing at Christine’s comment about girls! Mine is almost 3 and she’s gabby but not overly gabby, not anymore so than any other kids her age. =)

7. Heidi says:

I have to answer Christina’s question: All girls are not gabby. My daughter had to be in speech therapy to get her to talk. At 2.5, she had an above-average number of words, but she never used them. I was panicked about it, and I am still happy whenever she talks. (Now if we could get the whining to stop…)
    I, on the other hand, was a motor-mouth. My mom told me, “Mommy’s ears are tired.”