I’ll Be Changing the Channel Now…

If you have both cable television and a little boy, you’re probably already watching the show Man Vs. Wild (and if you’re not, you should be).  My husband and my sons never miss it, and I occasionally join them on the couch to squirm uncomfortably as Bear Grylls does all the daring-ness.

(And by the way, don’t you think that man was destined from day one to be a survivalist?  Can you really imagine someone named "Bear Grylls" becoming, say, a tax accountant?)

Anyway, today I realized our boys have probably watched a little too much of this show.  We were on our way home from errands, when Stephen asked me if he could play out back when we got home.

"Sure," I told him.

"Good," he said. "Because we need to get out there and look for some roly-polies.  They’re a good source of protein, you know."

Apparently all the chicken nuggets aren’t doing it for him anymore.

45 thoughts on “I’ll Be Changing the Channel Now…

1. Melanie says:

I have a little girl and we watch him, too. Along with a few other shows like that.
    She said today that her DADDY is her Survivor Man. :>)

2. mopsy says:

Did you see where Bear peed on his shirt and then wrapped it around his head to keep cool in the desert?
    Yeah. Waiting for the boys to try that one…

3. Diatribal says:

Ewww. I JUST tossed a roly-poly outside. Like 5 minutes ago. Sadly, they are one of the 3 bugs I will actually touch…I would never eat them, however. Eww.
    (The other two are ants and ladybugs. If it’s not one of them, I don’t touch bugs!)

4. Karla ~ Looking Towards Heaven says:

FYI Shannon: I did a little research on the comment above mine posted by “bear is fake”…
    Bear has a blog of his own and briefly mentioned the brou-haha that is going on.
    I won’t have any problems continuing to watch his show.
    Blessings,
    Karla

5. Cheri says:

Oh my stars, we watch this all the time. It so rocks! We also watch Survivor Man but like Bear better. πŸ™‚ Oh, do yall have “The Dangerous Book for Boys” if not you so so so should!!!

6. Trina says:

Ah yes I LOVE me some Bear :0)
    The one where he was in the Rocky Mountains all curled back in his little “makeshift den” …At night….and heard something rustling outside. All I could think was Bear as in GRRR! Growwwl! This ain’t no Winnie the Pooh kinda Bear….Course Bear was feelin the same thing as he hightailed it outta there splittin wide open through the darkness all the while uttering “this is NOT the best way to handle this situation”….ROFL!
    That episode still gives me chills!
    ~~shiver~~
    How bout the one where he pees in a canteen and has to drink it! Ewww! Ick!
    Survivor Man is pretty good too but not as good as Bear!
    Trina

7. Smockity Frocks says:

I have to say that I think Survivor Man could “see” Bear 1 peed on shirt and “raise” him eating a rabbit, eyeballs and all! (Oh, sorry. Too much Poker Superstars around here.)

8. Jenn says:

This made me laugh out loud! My son and Hubby love this show! I joked with him last week after breifly watching the beginning on an episode that survival was not as much about skills as it was about being strong of stomach! Thanks for sharing!

9. chris says:

My kids love this show too. Theya re constantly telling me “fun facts” like… “You can squeeze water out of animal dung and drink it!”
    I read about the bru-haha also, and really even if some of the stuff is staged, hello it is television, he still seems knowledgeable.

10. peach says:

Love, love, love Bear. We watched a marathon of this show back in the spring, and my whole family is on the survival trivia bandwagon now.

11. Everyday Mommy says:

We love Bear, too. Huge fans of the show and of Bear personally. He loves the Lord and so do we.
    As for the whole “Bear is a fraud” crowd, let me just say, “It’s a TV show people! It’s entertainment!” I certainly wouldn’t want Bear to risk his life for my entertainment and I don’t think anyone else would.
    Maybe they need to eat some grubs…or roly-polies.

12. Antique Mommy says:

Why are we addicted to this show? And the crab fishing show? I would never have predicted that I’d spend so much time watching crab fishing. Anyway, if only he wants to eat the roly poly bugs you’re good — given the other things I’ve seen Bear do that I can’t bear to think about before breakfast.

13. LeeAnn says:

Yeah- Man vs Wild, Dirty Jobs, Deadliest Catch, and Mythbusters- all staples in my house of 3 males/2 females, and the girls. As far as Bear is concerned, I am probably the biggest fan! I realize that it is TV, but I still like to tell myself that it could be educational. After all- who knows when I might be stranded after parachuting into the Alps… Now I know how to survive it!

14. Noelle says:

I LOVE that show – and Survivorman and Dirty Jobs!!!! It’s cool for me because I can learn all that stuff – not that I would do ANY of it but it’s fun to watch how you CAN live off the earth if you need too!!!!

15. Mama Pajama says:

We watch the survival shows too….my husband finds them very useful as he’s sitting in the recliner in an air conditioned living room : )I’m sure our two year old will love them one day as well!

16. Jamie says:

We aren’t faithful watchers of Man Vs. Wild or Mythbusters (used to be), but my husband laughs at how faithful I am to Dirty Jobs and Deadliest Catch. All I can say about MVW is hide the goldfish!

17. mopsy says:

Chiming in again to say I can’t jump on the “Bear is a fraud” bandwagon, either. Even if some of the things are a little staged (most grown adults have the brains to realize a camera and sound crew are along for the adventure), Bear does a lot to teach survival skills. He gives good advice. It is *entertainment*, not a documentary.

18. Amber says:

Good to know you’re raising yourself some OUTDOORSMEN. πŸ™‚
    If I was still single, I would have a weird fascination with good ol’ Bear. Now that is a real man!

19. peppylady says:

We don’t have cable or dish for our tv. At this time we can’t afford it but here the thing when we can afford it, no time to watch it or it would be I wouldn’t get anything done.
    No chance a winning for loosing.

20. Gwendolyn says:

Oh my goodness…how have we missed this show? I’ve got two boys who would love it! Although I do hope that it doesn’t encourage them to eat roly-polies.

21. Ellen says:

Never heard of it! We only have basic cable which means “nothing good” according to my son. He watches lots of dvds though.

22. mandy says:

is he really legit? i’m thinkin’ if man continues to face “wild,” one day “wild” is gonna win….. but maybe not.
    maybe its not staged.
    maybe bear is real….
    i’m just surprised nobody’s gotten killed yet.
    i’m just sayin…

23. Kat says:

Interesting, we all agree how disgusting the show is, and yet / because of that it is so popular! My two “girly” girls even like to watch it!

24. Dana says:

Oh gosh! That’s quite funny. I haven’t watched that show, so I don’t really know what a roly-poly is, but it sounds unappetizing. πŸ™‚

25. Jill (CDPJ) says:

Did you read last week the article that says Bear is a fake and that he stays in posh hotels when he’s not shooting the show? I don’t remember where I saw it, but it didn’t really make a difference to me because of all the other nasty, daring, scary things he does. The dude deserves a hot shower!

26. TaunaLen says:

OMG! This would be so funny, if it didn’t almost make me sick. My mother still has nightmares from the afternoon when at age 4, I came in carrying a handful of what I thought were roly-polies. They were maggots. UGH!!!!

27. Vail says:

Too funny! My kids love colleting Rollie-Pollies. I’m not sure how many they’ve eaten, but I know they have had to give them a try!