Works For Me: What’s That Smell?

WfmwheaderNow, how shall we discuss this delicately?  We can’t.  I’m just forging ahead.

If you are the mother of a boy between the ages of 2 and 12, then you know that the wall behind your kids’ toilet smells like a fraternity house.  Evidentally "aim" is one of the last developmental skills little boys master.

Having three boys in our household means that our bathrooms sometimes smell downright nuclear, so I’ve come up with a solution.  It’s not as effective as coating the whole room with CONCRETE (which I’ve threatened to do many times), but still, it’s better than nothing.

Once every day or two, spray down that wall behind the toilet with Febreeze or some other brand of fabric freshener.  It actually seems to help neutralize the odors better than cleaning alone.

If you have a tip you’d like to share with Bloggityville, just leave your link below.  WFMW guidelines can be found here

1. Christine (kids helping out)
2. Diatribal (kitchen prep)
3. Grace4Gayle (bargain giftwrap)
4. OW (inexpensive landscaping)
5. ellen b.~it\’s still summer
6. Jill (fake tan)
7. Joyful Days (prayer collage)
8. Rebecca Mielke (white shorts)
9. Pmom
10. Ann Kroeker (homemade pizza dough)
11. Pmom (grocery bags as disposable gloves)
12. The Natural Mommy (Toddler Obedience)
13. The Pumkin Patch (Organization)
14. Mommy-fied (remedy for hives)
15. Christa (getting kids to clean)
16. Kelley (The Game Keeper)
17. Lori – Queen of Dirty Laundry (shower curtains)
18. Totallyscrappy (Last bit of sauce)
19. At A Hen\’s Pace (virtual quiet time)
20. DHM (Keeping the dishes down)
21. Suzanne (peanut butter)
22. Corrie (Mom\’s money & auction)
23. Sheri(LifeLongLearning)
24. Elaine@bloginmyeye (kid art gallery)
25. Michelle at Scribbit (Kid Crafts)
26. Kathy (curb morning sickness)
27. Christine~Flavored Water
28. kathy (clean garbage disposal)
29. Many Little Blessings (Learning New Skills)
30. Mommy Zabs (paint color)
31. Ewokgirl (Cat Training Tool)
32. Sheila (reading help)
33. Chrystal (Tips for More Energy)
34. Lynnae (bathroom organization)
35. Autumn Daisy Studio (Home Photo Shoot Tips)
36. Noodle (puzzle storage)
37. Jane (drying clothes)
38. Amy@Experience Imagination (egg salad)
39. Robin (use towels)
40. Dena\’s Deliberations (Dressers)
41. Jen Morris (cleaning the microwave)
42. Lorie(Baby Food Coupons)
43. mummifiedx5 (christmas notebook)
44. Heather L. (easier shower cleaning)
45. Dana (Food Scoops)
46. Cindy (Cheap-o Marriage Gifts)
47. Cara (Detergent/TP)
48. Dianne (Google Stuff)
49. Ang (Portion Control for kids and Ice cream)
50. Jamie (grocery game)
51. Joanna (Growing pole beans)
52. Jessica (Shout stain remover)
53. Lori (Tweak Your Chili)
54. Sarah (Angel Food Ministries)
55. Beth/Mom2TwoVikings (more smell removal ideas)

56. Mary@notbefore7 (phone call with preschoolers)
57. Just In Case (Dolly): Write it Down
58. Jes (The ultimate Stain Remover)
59. Like I Was Saying (Cheap toy)
60. WorksForMom (Teach Kids Value of Money)
61. Ellen\’s Gardens(easy microwave cleaning)
62. Tonsofsons~dual power
63. Trixie @ Farm Home Life (Day Out Planning)
64. Bo-taitai (storing bikes & trikes)
65. carrie (kid clothing inventory)
66. Megan (FriedOkra)
67. Stacey @Look, Mom, Look!
68. Gini Young
69. Multitasking Mama (Menu Planning)
70. Cheri-prevent kids fighting
71. Scratchin\’ the Surface (Blog Notebook)
72. Candace (Seasonal Allergy Relief)
73. Classic Mama (Elementary Gift)
74. Barbara H. (Greeting card file)
75. Kris (magazine organization)
76. April (bookbags & clutter)
77. Amy W (New life to Erasers)
78. Jendeis (5 min makeup)
79. Kisses of Sunshine – Strawberry-Infused Lemonade
80. Kelley (preschool prep)
81. Stretch Mark Mama (Cereal Bags)
82. Mandi (applied science & free curriculum)
83. Jill (CDPJ) – Cooking Bacon in the Oven
84. Kathy (even more potty tips)
85. Jennifer (coupon inserts)
86. Lana G! (Filing Cookie Sheets)
87. Mira (scrapbooks)
88. T with Honey (chair protection)
89. Becky (tried and true)
90. Karen (Internet Tips/Tricks)
91. Tamara Cosby
92. Susan (homemade pads)
93. The Building Brows (Pillows: Reducing Sleep Head/Neck Pain)
94. Short Stop (Securing Naptime)
95. Melissa Wiley (how chewing gum helps w/ math)
96. EmmyJMommy (school lunches)
97. Kara (grocery list)
98. Joo
99. Catherine (BookMooch)
100. Linda (Teacher gift idea)
101. Tracy (Addall.com)
102. Liza\’s Eyeview (Books)
103. Mrs Pear (Freezer Cook Planning)
104. Mummymac (Cooking & Recipe)
105. Paige (get the gunk under the fridge)
106. GP in Montana
107. Amy (blog for kids)
108. Shelly (Bed Hogs)
109. Lisa (finding flylady.net)
110. Melinda (how to menu plan)
111. Jordan @ MamaBlogga (Setting blog goals)
112. Amy@Sonshinecottage (leftover pancakes)
113. Marianne(getting kids to read)
114. jen (Better Diaper Bags)
115. Toni (Fold A Fitted Sheet)
116. Michelle (Toddler box in van)
117. Rachel of AGoG (Label Maker)
118. story (cleaning plan)
119. Mama Pajama (de-cluttering)
120. Recovering the Design (managing bills/papers)
121. MC Milker ( A take on the Seasonal table)
122. Candace (Seasonal Allergy Relief)
123. Sherri Brown
124. Amy (Pet Odors)
125. Proverbs31 (Soap)
126. Organising queen (display folders)
127. ABC (Easy Travel with an Infant)
128. chickadee
129. Nap Warden
130. Mommy Bee
131. Tasha{tips on the kiddos
132. Rhen (bathrooms)
133. Steph\’s Mommy Brain (save $)
134. Karen (tips for an outing)
135. Amanda Regan
136. Demeter (increase coupon savings)
137. Andrea (potty training)
138. Callista (hand/face washing toddler)
139. a suburban housewife
140. Candace
141. Sasha (baby naps)
142. CuriousAboutGeorge (printable coupons)
143. Jodi @ HappyHouseQuilts Art Therapy-setting up the environment for kids art
144. Dawn
145. Kim – Organizing your WFMW tips
146. A Juggling Mum (Squeezy Jam)

Powered by… Mister Linky’s Magical Widgets.

Links are now closed. Please join us again next week!

67 thoughts on “Works For Me: What’s That Smell?

1. ellen b says:

Oh boys boys boys…
    I had a house cleaning business for a while and all I can say is put in groutless tile or something all the way up to the top of the tank!

2. peach says:

Great idea. I’ll be movin’ that Febreze to their vanity cupboard pronto! Let the spraying of a fine smell overpower the one currently residing there!!

3. Rebecca Mielke says:

Love the Febreeze idea!
    We’d be alot further ahead if we could just get males of all ages to SIT DOWN when using the toilet in the house. It’s not just aim that’s the problem, it’s also the stuff that hits the water and mists out from there. The taller the man, the worse it is.
    Perhaps we can come up with a clever name for that special aromatic spray.

4. Lorikate says:

Hah!! I was just wandering through..and as the single mother of a 6 year old boy that lives with my brother….
    I can say I understand. (Oh, and did I mention my fiancee spends most of his time with me too…)
    I appreciate the tip!!!

5. Flutterby says:

hmmm I would think that there’s a product that would help with that possibly more than fabreeze even. There’s a product (few different ones of course) which can be found at pet stores that are for the purpose of nuetulizing urine odor. We have a small dog and three cats that all like to use to floor more than too often (admittidly any amount ever…at all, would be too much for me) So we aught to just take out stock in one of these companys!

6. boomama says:

You have no idea how much I needed that tip. Today I sprayed perfume in the bathroom he uses. I have tried bleach, Clorox wipes, younameit. But the smell, it WILL NOT BE STOPPED.
    I owe you.

7. Mommy Zabs says:

I’m so thankful you posted this! I just potty trained my oldest (3) and our bathroom totally smells like urine sometimes. I get those disinfectant wipes and go over the toilet, wall and floor, but I hadn’t thought of Fabreeze!!

8. margalit says:

What works for ME with my son, the kid with no aim, is one of those cat urine neutralizers. I’ve used Natures Miracle, and that works well, but has it’s own odor, and now I use a different one called Peeaway. I know, bad title, but it works. You can buy them in PetSmart or other pet stores. they work way better than febreeze.

9. Kari says:

I use OUT!
    I also use it in our litterbox area as our cat’s aim seems to be a bit askew as well.
    Of course I clean it as well but using the OUT! in between and after cleanings helps greatly.
    You can get it at just about any store that has a pet care aisle.
    (When our cat peed on our mattress it was a life saver! Took a few treatments and about half a gallon of the gallon size bottle, but we finally were able to turn the mattress over without having the smell there any longer.)

10. Joanna says:

I grew up in a house full of girls, so I haven’t personally experienced the problem yet… Good to know for the future, as my husband’s family only has boys. It’s inevitable- I’ll one day deal with this!

11. elizabeth says:

Gack. My 10 year old rarely takes his laundry to the hamper without reminders, but he hits, flushes and closes every time. Never knew that was such a big deal… Whew, I feel like I’ve dodged a bullet.

12. Marian says:

I am SO with you in this problem. We have six people in our house, including 3 little boys. We have one toilet. ONE.
    Why, oh, why do they leave some parts of a toilet bowl unsealed and porous???? Do they think that it will not stream down under the rim and sit in insidious little pools under the tank?? These toilets were designed by women with no children, that’s all I can fathom.
    Last week I spent nearly an hour–an HOUR!!– cleaning the toilet and its surroundings. Did you even know you could spend nearly an hour cleaning one toilet? If you try scrubbing every last nook and cranny with vinegar, then baking soda and vinegar, then hydrogen peroxide, then general bathroom cleaner and then bleach,well, you can. And, once I got my olfactory sense back, I realized… that it still smells. And this concludes my rant. Please commiserate.

13. Katrina says:

I SO appreciate this tip. Even with just one 8-year-old boy, there are times that I clean and clean and scrub and scrub and STILL, there is a lingering odor. I’ll be starting this method this week! Thanks!

14. Karen says:

Oh BLESS YOU CHILD. I thought I was the only woman in the world that had a 5 year old boy with horrific aim. I’d swear it ends up on the ceiling if I didn’t know any better. That smell just Won’t. Go. Away. I’m implementing this TODAY. (and I just purchased a HUGE bottle of Febreze two days ago…so it’s a “sign”…lol)

15. Joo says:

Argh..I forgot to add my tip next to my name on Mr. Linky – (baby closet) – oops!
    Great post – I used to work in restaurants, an ice cream parlor that attracted kids in particular and the boys bathroom….EEW!

16. Catherine says:

Great Tip! I just replaced my carpets, so I won’t be going through Febreze nearly so fast. Anyone who sold stock in Febreze before I ripped up my old carpets probably did well.

17. Holly says:

I have two boys and can commiserate. I always keep Clorox wipes in the bathroom and wipe down the toilet and surrounding area daily! I love the Febreze idea. The Linen and Sky scent is my favorite, but I never would have thought to spray the wall!

18. Toni says:

Good tip! I have a little boy just about to start potty training. Tips from mom’s who’ve been there are always welcome.

19. Dianne says:

Thank you, thank you!!! With enormous gratitude! I will be trying this immediately upon getting up from my computer! This has been making hubby & me crazy. It would be different if they had a separate, far away bathroom (sort of), but the boys’ is the main facility for everyone who comes over to use. Sigh.

20. Sherri says:

What might also work is an Air Wick nightlight freshener that you plug into the bathroom outlet. As long as I keep them refilled I don’t smell the stink. Sorry, new to the posting Works for Me, but we’ll get it. Thanks!

21. Liz C. says:

Better than Febreeze: look for sprays used to deal with pet stains and vomit. We get a HUGE bottle at the pet store or ranch store. These are enzymatic cleaners, that actually eat the organic base of the odors. Very, very, very good thing. Behind the toilet, the floor base, and the shower/curtain gets a hearty spray on a regular basis, and weekly cleanup is a snap.
    I’m currently pregnant again, and odors are NOT tolerated just now. πŸ™‚ The enzymatic pet stain cleaners are a life-saver at this point.

22. Amanda Regan says:

If you tell your child that something will happen if they carry on misbehaving ie going home instead of to the park after grocery shopping then do it or they will learn you don’t follow through & why should they do what you want when they will get what they want anyway.

23. Karen@FamilyBriefs says:

How hard can it be to aim such a little thing??? My word! I’ve taught my two boys to at least wipe the rim with t.p. if they drip any (they do sometimes :). I’ve been using an Oust “fan”, but sometimes that makes the fragrance smell seem a bit overpowering (like enough to make you gag!). I like this idea better & think I’ll use the handy Lysol spray I spray the Diaper Genie with! Thanks!

24. Jodi says:

ahhh I have 3 girls and know of this issue as my SIL has 4 boys…I’ll pass along the tip. I posted mine last night…wanted to get over here nice and early…go figure…it’s after 9 and i’m #135..oh well there is always next week. Take care..and buy febreeze in bulk…that stuff is great!!! Jodi

25. Dawn says:

Great tip. The thing that makes me the most angry is if I walk into the bathroom 10 minutes after it’s been clean and it smells like pee already. Hopefully your tip will work. It definitely can’t hurt.

26. Miracle's Mom says:

Thank you, thank you for the tip. I was beginning to think I would NEVER get that smell gone for good. I have been using bleach, everyday 3 to 4 times per day to keep the smell away. I did just what you said at 6am this morning and at 10:30pm I was able to walk in their bathroom without a mask! YEAH!!!!!

27. Moose says:

Thanks for the tip! I was just thinking the other day that whoever invented the idea of boys standing up at the toilet should have been tarred and feathered.

28. :: Suzanne :: says:

My thoughtful husband taught our son that, in a private home, it is polite to sit down to pee so that pee doesn’t get all over the place. In a public place, with daily janitorial staff, it’s different.