A Mom’s Prayer On the First Day of School

Here we are again, Lord.  Their backpacks are loaded and their faces are scrubbed and their lunch accounts are full.

And I know you’ll walk with them, Lord.  You always do.  But a mom still has to ask.

Will You walk with them?  Will You whisper to them what they need to hear, when I’m not there to whisper it?

Will You please, oh please, cover their school with the protection only You can give, and will You keep harm far away?

Will You make their minds strong and ready to learn?  Will You help them understand that hard work honors the One who created them?

Will You guide their teachers, giving them patience and wisdom and creativity and more patience?  Will You bless them for their efforts?

Will You love all those children there, the ones whose lunch accounts aren’t full, the ones who feel alone?  Will You teach my children to be kind and unselfish and to love those who are different from them?

Will You point them back toward home just as soon as you can?

Lord, I give them to You today and everyday, trusting them to Your care.

Amen.

52 thoughts on “A Mom’s Prayer On the First Day of School

1. hogphan says:

What a perfect prayer for the first day of school…..actually, it’s perfect for everyday. Just reading it blessed me.

2. Cindy says:

Yesterday was my girls’ first day of school in public school after homeschooling for several years. And God was so, so good to us. This prayer blessed me today. Thank you!

3. elizabeth says:

Oh, tears, tears. I feel like everyone who is reading this is praying for my own children and the ones who’ll be in class with me and for me as a teacher and for the teachers who work with me… What a great post!

4. Beth@sportsmomma says:

You have GOT to stop making me cry first thing in the morning!!! It’s either crying from laughing so hard or from the real tear jerker posts!!
    What a wonderful post!! My boys will be going to a new school this year- new teachers, new friends! I think I’m as nervous as they are! Thanks for this post- I needed it!!!!

5. Tee says:

I didn’t think I was anxious about back to school until last night. I got the orientation invitations in the mail and I guess it hit me harder than I thought. Last night I had so many nightmares regarding my children being away from me and what could happen to them.
    I needed that prayer, plus a P.S. to God for some peace and calm and faith that they’ll be okay.

6. deborah says:

Amen!! I’ve been praying exactly these words for the past week, and my kids won’t start school for three more weeks.
    It’s such a scary place now to send our kids into the world and into the schoolyard; not knowing what or who is there to harm them. but knowing and trusting His loving arms to protect them is such a wonderful blessing.
    This was a beautiful post. Thank you

7. MommyBee says:

Amen. I love it. My little one starts preschool in just a couple weeks. I will be praying this prayer for her on her very first day of school. Thank you for sharing.

8. momrn2 says:

Amen. I have a couple more weeks before my heart will utter this prayer… but when it does it will look very similar!
    Thanks for such a precious and touching post!!!
    Praying for you all today as you head back to school!!

9. debo says:

That is a beautiful and touching prayer. Thank you for sharing (and making me cry). Best Wishes as this new year launches!

10. GiBee says:

Shannon — thank you for sharing with us your intimate thoughts with the Lord. You are such a blessing and I am always moved when I read your posts … whether it is moved to tears, moved to laughter, moved to action, moved to pray…
    Thank you.

11. tas says:

School? ALready? Kids here in Ontario, Canada don’t start until September 4.
    My son is in disbelief, and says that he feels sorry for them…… lol

12. Sandy@Reluctant Entertainers says:

Shannon, Awesome prayer!
    Should be our every day prayer. My heart is extra thankful because my son is returning today from a 10 day backpack trip and a boulder came crashing down on him. He said, “it was the Grace of God that I’m alive, Dad!” Those are words you want your 15 yr old son to say ๐Ÿ™‚
    I know our prayers for him are heard.
    Blessings,
    Sandy

13. Girl Gone Wild says:

For some reason, dropping my 2nd grader off to school was harder today than when he started Kindergarten. Thank you for this prayer. I was too tense to say it this morning…should have been the first thing I did today.

14. Heather says:

Amen. My punkin’ isn’t ready for school yet, but I’m sure we’ll be saying the same prayer when it’s time. Happy first day, everyone!

15. Stacey says:

Amen! It’s always hard to watch them walk away from the van knowing what could be in store for them. I’m so thankful to know the Lord is there to watch them and protect them!

16. The G-Ma says:

An acquaintence is in the hospital trying to recover from surgery. She needs another surgery ASAP but is too weak right now. She is in critical care and cannot have visitors.
    I adapted your beautiful prayer for her and the hospital staff. This is rank plagiarism, but done for a good reason. Did give you credit but doubt she knows what a blog is.
    Anyway, your prayer is eloquent, soulful and packed with that indescribable mommy power which God absolutely cannot resist! He created us for His pleasure, and he must be even more in love with you after reading this prayer.
    Thank you for sharing your insights with the rest of us. We each need that reminder that we are all members of the Body of Christ.

17. Jennifer Pursley says:

Just wanted to tell you I’ve enjoyed browsing today… I can’t even remember how I found you, you know how that goes! I’m a new blogger, so I’m amazed. I could spend hours ga-ga over the computer, but I’m seriously trying to be self-controlled! I do have 3 kids, after all. ๐Ÿ™‚
    I hated to “lurk,” so I thought I’d say “hi!” And thanks for some laughs!
    Jen

18. Joanna says:

Hi! I found you through twentysixcats and since I’m a teacher at a Christian school and my students came back on Wed., I thought that I’d give you a thanks! The prayers of parents are much coveted by teachers! Keep it up! Hope the day went well!

19. Shannon Breeding says:

This was a beautiful prayer..Thank you for posting…have a blessed day! shannon breeding

20. oldschoolmomma says:

As I watched my 17 yo SENIOR drive off with her 15 yo SOPHOMORE I cried harder today than when they first started school so many years ago. God bless all children everywhere!