Works For Me: Storage Idea

WfmwheaderI had many Great Parenting Ideas before I had children, among them that no son of mine would every play with toy guns.

Then I actually had a son, and he turned bananas into rifles and peas into bullets.  And I realized that my expectations had been a teensy bit unrealistic.

I am now the proud mother of three boys and (therefore) the proud owner of every plastic piece of weaponry known to mankind.  We have rifles, pistols, light sabres, pirate swords, ninja swords, nerf guns, water guns and more.  Really, the U.S. Armed Forces shouldn’t give up their hunt for weapons of mass destruction until they’ve had a go at our playroom.

The problem has been how to store all of this.  Toy guns and swords (especially the big ones) fit very awkardly, if at all, in most storage containers.  Recently, I had a brain storm and bought a big kitchen trash can (a new, clean one, of course).  I keep it in the corner of the playroom, and it’s proven to be the best weapon storage solution I’ve found.  A bonus?  I bought a second one for Hot Wheels tracks.  Works for me!

If you have a tip you’d like to share with Bloggityville, just leave your link below.  WFMW guidelines can be found here

1. ellen b ~meals-on-wheels
2. Smockity Frocks (Roasted Chicken)
3. WhatWorksForMom (Toy and Craft Storage)
4. Jill (providing meals)
5. HappyHouseQuilts- Jodi (sticker on the roof of the car!!!)
6. TracyMichele (breakfast)
7. Lori ~ Simple Life at Home (peacefulness)
8. Ann@HolyExperience (DIY Planners for Moms)
9. ~Amy (vegetable peeler)
10. Mommy-fied (Q&Easy Salmon/Cod Recipe)
11. Mandy (frugal/homemaking/kids filtered search engines)
12. Mrs Pear (fresh guest linens)
13. Mandy Houk (politics)
14. OW (free 411 calls)
15. Chappyswife (preserving your memories)
16. Lynnae (Camping Organization)
17. Grace4Gayle (Cure for Bored Kids)
18. A Juggling Mum (tomato stains)
19. Jordan @ MamaBlogga (Guest blogging)
20. diatribal (Bags)
21. Like I Was Saying (kid ID)
22. FamilyBriefs (laundry)
23. Stacey@Look, Mom, Look! (Tea Benefits)
24. Christa @ No End in Site (easier laundry)
25. The Natural Mommy (How to Chop an Onion)
26. The Pumkin Patch(Family Organizer)
27. Alli- Mrs. Fussypants
28. Western Warmth (getting organized)
29. Michelle at Scribbit (kid craft)
30. Ewokgirl (Recipe Organization)
31. Stacy@Random Thoughts (Kids ID Tag)
32. Duckabush Blog (Laundry Strike)
33. It Coulda Been Worse (adios crunchy floors)
34. My Twenty Cents Keeps Moving (storing school supplies)
35. Briggie – Returning Containers
36. Michelle (medicine tips)
37. Suzanne (sugar scrub)
38. Karen (mommy of three)
39. mummifiedx5 (freezing milk)
40. Lisa@The Preacher\’s Wife (simplifying the morning school rush)
41. Abel ( Sibling rivalry: "I want those pajamas")
42. Mamalady(Freecycle-Free Stuff)
43. Robin (Laundry Prayer)
44. A different Robin (storing kids\’ art)
45. Corrie (making math fun)
46. DHM(Why you NEED a bulletin board in the bathroom)
47. Capturing Today (Remove Freezer Odors)
48. Susan(CheapCleanTub)
49. 3foldcord (Save money on groceries!)
50. Laane (not on stairs/food storage)
51. Liza (Stress Reducers)
52. Kel (Practicing Spelling Words)
53. Jes (keeping up with baby\’s scrapbook)
54. April (sore noses)
55. Karen (Home Office Organization)
56. Beth(reusable Popsicle drip catchers)
57. Sarah–Keeping a consistent devotional time
58. Beth@sportsmomma (Multiplication War)
59. Mari (cleaning your floors)
60. Mama-rama (dreaded sock piles)
61. Nikki @ Recovering the Design (fresh bathmats)
62. nancy (Handy Ice Pack)
63. Stretch Mark Mama (Crunchy Clothes)
64. 100 Acre Wood (errands with kids)
65. carrie (homemade panini sandwiches)
66. Sarah @ Ordinary Days (Gettin\’ Cheesy!)
67. Jenny from Mommin\’ It Up!
68. At A Hen\’s Pace (less lightbulb changing)
69. Kathy Days (character-building allergen-free cake)
70. Toni (Choosing Paint Colors)
71. Beth/Mom2TwoVikings (shoes on correct feet)
72. Tonsofsons~abc\’s
73. Trixie @ Farm Home Life (Meal Prep)
74. Laura (Messy Address book Solution)
75. TASHA{keeping fresh}
76. Gift of Green (Start a Magazine Swap)
77. Aimee (painting tips)
78. Diane (One Little Secret!)
79. Candace
80. Princess Leia (easy pasta/rice entrees)
81. Rachel Anne (Get Real Menu Planning for Busy Families)
82. Barbara
83. Barbara-creativity w/ kids
84. jen (better pancakes/waffles)
85. Betsy~Free iced coffee!
86. Miss Huckleberry- Curly Hair
87. To Know Him
88. To Know Him (removing Permanent Markers)
89. Juggling Frogs (Butterflies are (almost) free)
90. Lana G! (Kitchen Towel Makeover!)
91. Are we there yet (printable grocery list)
92. T with Honey (saving cards)
93. Lorraine (Driving Miss Diva)
94. PeachyQuee (Kids Help Too!)
95. Crafty Pumpkin(easy family traditions)
96. Megan (Kids and Chores)
97. Song Of The Sagebrush (Dress Up Your Kids\’ Oatmeal)
98. Summer\’s Nook (baking pan residue)
99. Mommy Babble (cleaning bathtub toys)
100. Karen (The Book Closet)
101. An Iowa Mom (Birthday Party Bribery)
102. Demeter (keeping spam mail down)
103. Nap Warden (fast dinner, yummy leftovers)
104. GP in Montana
105. Texastanya (multipurpose italian dressing)
106. Phyllis (Post-it Word Cards)
107. Milehimama (Perfect Gravy)
108. Heather L. (back 2 school tips)
109. Jennapiller (Long Arms)
110. Catherine (make-ahead-breakfast)
111. Sonshinecottage(painting with kids underfoot)
112. SAHMmy Says (keep up with laundry)
113. Not China Made (boycott? lead in toys?)
114. Mommy Zabs (bringing down the noise!)
115. Organising queen (easy cooking with recipes)
116. Kara (Pet Odor Removal)
117. Jenn (Bottle to Cups)
118. RibbonRockStar (Cake baking tips)
119. Jennifer (keeping toys out of sight)
120. The Estrogen Files – (Kool Aid Dyeing)
121. KimC (buying shoes w/o kids)
122. Just In Case:WFMW: Bento Lunches- quick and easy prep!
123. Kathy (dining out w/kids)
124. Suzanne (unloading groceries)
125. Stephanie (Scripture Memorization)
126. onemotherslove (ribbon storage)
127. Simple_Chic (repurposing furniture)
128. Controlled Chaos (lunch spoons)
129. Melanie(quick cooking 4 kids)
130. Jill/To Do Lists for Tots
131. Kathleen Marie
132. Kathleen Marie (Basket of Goodies for the little ones)
133. Samantha (magnetic storage tins)
134. KimC (buying shoes w/o kids)
135. Rachel (Children\’s Book Storage)
136. faithful chick (Transportation Tote)
137. Kara (parking tip)
138. Jamie (sunburn relief)
139. Tracy (limiting milk)
140. Jennifer
141. Donna B
142. Adena*cre82learn* (Carrot pulp)
143. Michelle (OAMC Breakfast)
144. Kim – Free Gift Cards
145. Mira (project notebooks)
146. Melinda (one word)
147. Elaine@bloginmyeye (cheap bubble bath)
148. Ann Kroeker (handy kids hair prep)

Powered by… Mister Linky’s Magical Widgets.

The links for this week are now closed.  Thanks for playing along!

53 thoughts on “Works For Me: Storage Idea

1. ellen b says:

What a great idea. I love organization and the size of some of the toys out there make it really hard. Fun also to aim and throw them in 🙂

2. Mandy Houk says:

Well, I have two of the girliest girls you could imagine, so I don’t have gun storage issues. But I’m thinking this would work great for our hobby horses!
    Thanks, Shannon!

3. diatribal says:

That’s a great tip! I will remember that when my time comes. I almost posted on toy storage this week, but with my recent move, I decided that I am not one to give out organizational advice!!
    Thanks for the idea.

4. Christa says:

Great idea, Shannon! I’m going to have to do this! With three small boys and a daddy who’s a police officer, we have lots of guns, even scale replicas of the fancy ones used to spin for ceremonies! Thanks for the great idea!

5. jen says:

boys will be boys
    and boys will use their fingers as guns if necessary
    I have been successful in my ban of No guns mostly I think Billy might have 1 and a light sabre but as I said cant ban their fingers or twigs can u???

6. Dawn says:

So far the only weapons we have are water pistols and one Ninja Turtle sword, but Hot Wheels tracks are taking over so I am going to use this great tip to get those things under control. Great tip.

7. brat says:

My daughter, who lives with us is expecting my first grandchild in Dec. Will be my first experience raising a boy. The no gun policy will be firmly in place. I know boys will ‘make guns’ from anything, but we won’t bring them in the house. Guns are too big of a problem in and around our city and I can’t see making them ‘fun’. ugh

8. floorplan says:

My son has put his favorite ‘swords’ on display on his bedroom wall. They prop easily on little nails, and removing them is easy, kind of like when Daniel Boone would grab his rifle from the wall just before going off to kill a ‘bar’. This way he has a very manly display of weaponry, too.
    floorplan

9. Heather says:

My husband is a hunter, so I dropped the no gun idea pretty much as soon as it formed in my head. My rule is, we never point toy guns at people. EVER.
    My boys spend their days running around shooting “bad bugs” and “baddies.” I feel it’s a decent compromise.

10. Lisa says:

I’ll never forget the day my son (5) wrapped the baby’s Boppy around his waist and used the “ends” as a gun, running around the house shooting everything. That sealed it for me. He is All Boy.

11. At A Hen's Pace says:

This is a great idea. With 4 boys, we’ve had the same issue and solved it with those giftwrap storage boxes that fit under the bed. (We call it “the arsenal”!) But I’ve thought of moving the whole collection to the garage in the summers, and the trash can idea is PERFECT for that plan. Thanks!
    Jeanne

12. maria says:

no wfmw link, but I am laughing at how unrealistic our ideals are …BEFORE we actually reproduce. As a mom of 3 boys myself, I understand. And SOO wish I had thought of that for Hot Wheels tracks…doh

13. Princess Leia says:

Great idea to keep in mind when AJ gets to that age. He’s only 7.5 months right now, but I’ve already discovered several very mistaken ideas I had pre-delivery. 🙂

14. Tammie says:

You are a genius!! I have 3 boys and have the same problem with our arsenal. But what I love most about this idea is the Hot Wheels tracks! I hate them, hate them, hate them for the very reason of storage.
    Thanks!

15. Vail says:

Excellent Idea! I was just doing “Fall Cleaning” and organizing toys and had no clue where to put all the swords, tall guns, light sabres, etc!

16. Marni says:

I’m about to do the very same thing with two outside trash cans that have had the lids busted and rendered useless for outdoor trash bag storage.
    My friend said she tossed out the “no toy guns” ideal when her son bit his french toast into the shape of a gun.

17. phyllis says:

great idea for the toys…we just had our carpet cleaned and had to put all our “big” toys down the basement, and now we love the way our playroom feels so we’re going to try and leave them down there. yay for open spaces! blogger was down so i couldn’t get it up sooner, i was so excited for my first wfmw!

18. Heather L. says:

Great idea!! I have a boy with a penchant for light sabers and this would be great for his room! Thanks!
    I use a similar idea in our garage with a plastic storage tote for all if the bats, rackets, golf clubs, plastic garden/sand tools. It works very well.
    Thanks for hosting!

19. Mom of a Munchkin says:

Great idea! I only have a girl so far so I’m still in the “No child shall play with guns” phase…But I remember my mom telling me how a boy changes all that. I was their first and they would even tell neighborhood boys to go away if they were playing with guns around me. But then my brother came along and every time we went anywhere he headed straight for the guns. He’s now almost eighteen and has had every kind of gun imaginable as well. I guess girls and boys really are just that different!

20. KimC says:

And for little boys made of snakes and snails and puppy dog tails, what could be more appropriate than a trash can storage system?
    I actually caught my girls bathing in a 32 gallon trash can this morning. It’s a long story and I’m considering blogging it.
    :p

21. Simple_Chic says:

I thought I would just jump on in after lurking these last few weeks. I too have a little boy who owns so many toy weapons that he could arm a small imaginary country all by himself. I saw this and added a trash can to my shopping list. What a great idea! I posted my Works for Me over at my new blog.

22. Carla says:

Bless your heart! You’ve done it. You’ve solved my “weapon storage” dilemma!!! Now, to find a trashcan that coordinates with their room. 🙂

23. Jamie says:

You all have got to go see my WFMW, not so much for the tip but that it came from my 12 year old, who incidentally also posted a little something on his own blog. So cute! Leave him a comment, he’ll get a kick out of it!!

24. Tracy says:

That’s a good idea. I am using tall wrapping paper storage boxes for the hot wheels but it takes two of them at this point. Just one garbage can would fit everything instead, and I could have the wrapping paper boxes for their original purpose.

25. Jennifer says:

I have one boy, after having 2 girls. I was a little worried… UNTIL HE CAME OUT! From the first second of life, this guy has set himeself apart from the gals. My mom bought him an arsenal for his birthday last year, and they just keep coming! His favorite fish? “a swordfish, ’cause I like swords.” Love that boy!

26. Fiddledeedee (It Coulda Been Worse) says:

That is an awesome idea! Come to think of it, a trash can might be the perfect solution for storing all the little bitty teeny tiny Polly Pocket pieces we’ve accumulated. I’m thinking the trash will then look awfully nice on the curb come trash day. 🙂
    I’m really looking forward to the weaponry phase in the next year or two. So far, he’s turning his toast into automobiles. Tomorrow, the bread may become a boomerang. I’m bracing myself.

27. CherieB says:

Your post cracked me up because it sounds like something I would right! I too had these “ideas” that we wouldn’t have toy guns at our house. Then I found out that’s all my little boy wants. Ugh!
    So now we have guns (and grenades and swords and…) but what a pain to store! I LOVE your idea though for trash cans! Woohoo! Thank you!!!

28. HolyMama! says:

oh, me TOO! i so wished my boys wouldn’t care for weapons. yesterday i watched ethan turn a napkin into a gun. a chick fil a NAPKIN.
    i might need a big trashcan soon.