The Little Things

It’s one of the most universal experiences of motherhood, the joy of seeing life’s wonders through a child’s eyes.  It’s been written about so many times, in so many ways, by so many people.

And yet, I have to write it again, because never do I want to forget this morning.

Corrie and I were in the deli section of the grocery store, when she happened to notice the rotisserie chicken oven, slowly spinning and laden with meat.

"WOOK!" she yelled, pointing.  "A chicken!"

And then?  As the rotisserie continued to spin…

"Wook!  Hee comes chicken again!"

And then?  Three seconds later…

"Hee comes chicken again!"

This continued for quite some time, as she laughed and clapped and the people around us smiled, and I realized it’s been a very long time since I had ever received such joy from poultry.

So I write this, and I turn it over and over in my heart, the heartwarming life lesson taught to me–daily–by a blonde-haired, brown-eyed bundle of exuberance about the wonder in the simplest things around me.

So I won’t forget.

40 thoughts on “The Little Things

1. floorplan says:

What a sweetie she is!
    When my DS was a toddler (now a teenager) he called our deli rotisserie “the chicken carwash” — i guess because the birds were skewered on the horizontal and there was a lot of dripping going on!

2. Dana says:

I’m obviously not awake yet. I mean “we often fowl up…” Note to self: don’t try to be cute before you are awake. 🙂

3. veronica says:

Your post reminds me of a favorite quote from Chesterton’s Orthodoxy:
    “Because children have abounding vitality, because they are in spirit fierce and free, therefore they want things repeated and unchanged. They always say, “Do it again” and the grown-up person does it again until he is nearly dead. For grown-up people are not strong enough to exult in monotony. But perhaps God is strong enough to exult in monotony. It is possible that God says every morning, “Do it again” to the sun; and every evening, “Do it again” to the moon. It may not be automatic necessity that makes all daisies alike; it may be that God makes every daisy separately, but has never got tired of making them. It may be that he has the eternal appetite of infancy; for we have sinned and grown old, and our Father is younger than we.”

4. T with Honey says:

It is so much fun watching a little one’s eyes light up over the ordinary. I only notice things like this when the power goes out but Princess notices them all the time.

5. Mary Jo says:

This is a great reminder. My 2-year-old son is giddy about tractors, and since there’s a ton of construction going on in North Texas we see at least 15 a day. I haven’t yet tired of his squealing EVERY time he sees one, but your post reminds me how lucky I am to be a mom to my two little guys. Thanks!

6. Megan says:

This reminds me of when both of my girls were toddlers. On rainy days we would go to Costco and they would watch the chickens spin for ever! Such sweet times…

7. jenn says:

Oh, that made me laugh! And fits right into the theme for my life this fall – “Be present Today” (which you can read more about in a post on my blog!)

8. peach says:

“such joy from poultry”. . . Only a two-year-old can give us a good enough reason to link those words together . . . unless you’re momrn2, who also wrote about poultry and its attributes today : )
    Thanks for the smile. I’m going to go turn over some old memories and reminisce a bit myself today. I miss those years of so many “a-ha” moments.

9. Patti says:

Oh my what a great moment! Thanks… love people that can write to share such a simple thing to remind us all the wonderful things of children!

10. anonymous says:

Similar incident here.
    While putting my 5yr old nephew to sleep, he used to look at the wall-clock and everytime the seconds hand passed 20 he used to jump up and scream “20” and ask everybody to join him in the celebrations…this used to go on for 20-30 minutes each day before he slept. Needless to say, we moved the clock to a different place.
    This post brought back some happy memories.