Would You Rather?

I’ve been the mother of at least one son for over ten years.  You’d think I would know by now.  But last week I lapsed, just for a moment.

The boys told me about a game they’d invented, and they named it "Would You Rather".  The idea, they explained, was to name two things and give the other players a chance to choose which one they’d rather do.

In a clearly delusional moment, I though to myself how delightfully creative my children were.  What a clever little game!  Let’s see…Paris or France?  Beethoven or Bach?  Tell me, darling offspring, what delightful choices dost thou have for me?

"Okay, mom…would you rather lick a baboon’s backside or climb a volcano that’s blowing molten snot?"

It was a nice fantasy, while it lasted.

And seriously, he should at least get creativity points for "molten snot", don’t you think?

40 thoughts on “Would You Rather?

1. Krista says:

HILARIOUS! I can’t wait to see what my little man comes up with when he can talk!
    My best friend’s little boy after going through my purse came up with this:
    Him: What’s this?
    Me: A checkbook.
    Him: Oh, is it for telling stories?
    Me: No, it’s for paying bills.
    Him: Oh, it’s for taking care of Brian! (my husband)
    I seriously about fell off my chair! This came from a 3 year old…

2. zoe says:

We have the tamest version there is of that as a purchasable board game (YES< it's real) and the I listen to it sometimes and think "if this is tame I dread to think what is in the other ones".

3. Jeana says:

Oh I remember this one! In the Anastasia books by Lois Lowry Anastasia and her mom play this game except they call it “If you had a choice” and the worst one is having to choose between eating liver every day for the rest of your life and standing naked in the display window of a department store on a Saturday.

4. Melissa says:

Haha! There is a Dr. Seuss book that follows this same game and it seems like I have seen it somewhere else as well. Your children’s choices are definitely creative! Thanks for the early morning giggle!

5. Wendy says:

I’ve been anxiously waiting for my son to start speaking in understandable words and sentences. Maybe I need to rethink that.
    Thanks for the chuckle!

6. Jenny says:

and your answer was??? That is very funny! He absolutely gets creativity points for “molten snot”! (but, ewwwwww!!!)

7. Jamie says:

Oh yeah!! I have a son who would come up with something similar. What is it with boys? Do they have a gross gene or something? Cute story!!

8. alison says:

I used to have this book called: The book of stupid questions, and it was filled, i mean FILLED with wonderful insightful questions just like that!

9. theabby says:

We have that board game its called Zobmando. My favorites are… Would you rather have a rhino horn, or armadillo skin? and Would you rather lick the toilet seat of a stadium bathroom after a big game or drink a cup of puss?
    Very difficult questions IMO.

10. Grace says:

My girls love playing this with their friends, but they agree their dad comes up with the best, and hardest, questions.
    The question my daughter got at youth group last night was: would you rather live 4 days in filthy clothes or eat off dirty plates you couldn’t wash? I chose the clothes! She chose the dirty dishes.

11. Ashleigh says:

Lol… oh, the memories! We used to play our own version of this same game with our cousins, but our particular version was called “Which Would You Rather Prefer?” Nevermind the fact that the game was invented by a 3rd or 4th grader who needed some work on his grammar skills, but hey, the game provided us with hours of endless amusement!

12. Elizabeth (M & T's Mom) says:

LOL!! Whick DID you pick?
    I just told my DH what I was doing and he asked, “Would you rather….have 10 more kids or have BOTH your big toes amputated?”
    What a freaky question!
    ~unfortunately it looks like I’m gonna have 10 more kids…. I like my big toes thank you!(I couldn’t wear shoes year round!)

13. Vail says:

BOYS! My 12 year old STILL likes to play “Bobby’s World” – which drives me crazy because the 5 yr. old gets in on it and can’t spell!
    12 yr old: In bobby’s world there are tree’s but no leaves.
    5yr. old: In bobby’s world there are flowers but no petals.
    12 yr old: NO, there are no flowers! Bobby’s world only has things with double letter’s in it! You could have said “In bobby’s world there are bees but no flowers”.
    5yr. old – are there double letters in sky?
    12 – NO!
    5 – Power Ranger?
    12 – NO!
    And on and on and on it goes!
    Till I switch the game to THE QUIET GAME!

14. Macy says:

Molten snot volcano. Definitely. You might be able to dodge the hot snot as you climbed the volcano. I’ve never seen a baboon with a clean backside.
    My friends and I (all college age women – we’re very mature) used to make these up for hours. I’m thrilled to know there is an actual board game. (They even have a kids version that I can play with my little boy when he gets old enough!)