Sugar and Spice and Everything Nice

I didn’t expect to be the mother of a daughter.

For many years, I was the very content mom of three noisy boys, and I loved that role.  It was kind of my "schtik", you know?  Snakes and snails and puppy dog tails, all the time.  Over the years, the part of me that once loved fairies and pigtails stepped aside willingly to allow for Hot Wheels and pirates.

And it was good.  Life was good.  I bristled when strangers observed my boy-filled grocery basket and remarked, "So, are you going to try for a girl?"

My family was just fine, thank you, and it felt complete.  I wouldn’t have traded those three noisy boys for all the little girls in the world.  I still wouldn’t.

And yet, for some reason, God unexpectedly saw fit to breathe a little pink into our lives.  Corrie has taken my life, her daddy’s life, and her three brothers’ lives, and she has turned us all inside-out-upside-down.

She has sparkled since the day she was born.  She is as unashamedly girly as any little girl I’ve ever known.  She dances through our house in a cloud of pixie dust and hair bows.  She sings songs about "pwincesses".  She gasps when I put on my old house robe and exclaims, "Oh, Momma!  It’s a boo-tiful dwess!"

She makes her daddy shake his head in utter wonder.  She makes her brothers a little softer, a little more protective.

And she makes me dig deep into the pink part of my soul, the part that was asleep for so long, and she reminds me how fun it is to do fairy dances in the living room.

And it’s even better in a pwincess dwess.

64 thoughts on “Sugar and Spice and Everything Nice

1. peach says:

She sounds utterly delightful. Every family needs one such as she. May you dwess up like a pwincess with her and twirl about lost in the moment!

2. Susan G. says:

I know exactly what you mean. God also surprised us with a breath of pink after three boys. My boys are 10,8,& 5,and my daughter is 3. Sound like a family you know?

3. Jessica says:

So sweet and true! I was blessed with a little girl after 2 boys and she is just something else. From day one I think the boys knew that she was different. It is so sweet to see that brother/sister bond.

4. Melissa says:

As the mother of three boys and lastly, but not least, a little girl, I know exactly what you are saying! She is so different and such a delight (and sometimes a storm).
    God bless!

5. Rebekah says:

I had two boys first. When I was pregnant the 3rd time I just assume have another boy. I was used to boys and all their stuff.
    Now I have 2 little girls and they make the world wonderful. Boys and girls are like night and day. I wouldnt trade either of them. But girls are truly a special gift.

6. Tara says:

Someone asked me what is different about having a girl after three boys. I didn’t have an answer on the spot, but after thinking about it, I think it is that with the boys I’m rasising them to be someone I’d want to be with. But with Avery I’m raising her to be someone I’d want to be.

7. Marian says:

Sweet. I almost could have written this! I just got my #4/only girl child’s Christmas gift(I know, I’m and early shopper): purple princess dress, pink fairy tutu skirt, purple/pink/sparkly feather boa, and pink satiny shoes with purple flower embroidery. Girly as she is and all that said, though, she has to know how to stand up for herself in our house! It’s a good combination for life, don’t you think?

8. Grace For Gayle says:

We have three boys and one lone girl also. I knew I was totally cut out for the boy thing, but sometimes the fresh hormones and sparkles in the house can really leave me scratching my head. Was I like that as a little girl?

9. lisa h. says:

what is that saying? a son is a son until he gets a wife, a daughters a daughter all of her life.
    we have one of each so far and my little boy is wonderful! but i was so happy to have a daughter and know i’d have someone to go shopping and to lunch with forever! my mom and i are so close and i just don’t see it with my husband and his mom (and her other 4 sons) i just think it’s different for boys and moms, especially after they are married. not to sound negative about boys or anything, i’m actually hoping number 3 will be another boy.

10. Stacy says:

My husband and I’ve been talking about this lately. My Becca, who’s now 2, is so girly. She loves dresses, shoes and is so emotional, but she has us all wrapped around her finger and butterfly kisses are so wonderful. While I was pregant with her I really wanted another boy. I knew how to do boy. Yet God blessed us with Rebecca and we can’t imagine life without her. Your thoughts and feelings are very similar to how I feel.
    I always say that God doesn’t always give us what we ask for, but He sure gives us what we need and our family needed Rebecca.

11. Ashleigh says:

My family always joked that because of how girlie I am, I would end up the mother of all boys… that’s just how it always seems to go. And sure enough… with the second boy due in about 6 weeks, my life is and will continue to be filled with noise, wildness, bugs, cars, dirt and lots of food. πŸ™‚

12. An Iowa Mom says:

I had the two boys and was content as well. Tried to have another “child” and experienced two miscarriages. Then God blessed our family with 2 girls.
    The sunshine they add to all our lives is just can’t be described.

13. Julie says:

I can only imagine what a little girl can do to a family with 3 noisy boys! What a princess Corrie must be!
    We found out yesterday we are having our 4th boy! No “pwincess dwess” at our house! Just Lots of snakes, snails and puppy dog tails!

14. Tina says:

I too have been thinking about this quite a bit lately. I “only” have 1 of each, but my boy came first. My daughter is an amazing toughie, but goes does she love glitz and twirl. She celebrates beauty and invites others to join in. … I even wrote about today, linking back to this entry.
    All God’s best,

15. Deb - Mom of 3 Girls says:

With 3 girls, we get the ‘are you going to try for a boy?’ question all of the time and still don’t know for sure what we’re going to do yet. I loved reading how your sparkly little princess brought pink into your lives!

16. Mrs. Schmitty says:

I know EXACTLY what you mean. I am a tomboy at heart and my two boys were just fine with me. I didn’t know if I could relate to a little girl. But suprise she came along and is as tomboy as they get…with just a hint of girly girl. It’s awesome!

17. Rachel says:

It’s good to hear that there is hope after three boys although I do get tired of people asking that question and assuming that we are disappointed with our boys. We’ve had people offer to give us advice on “getting a girl” which we try to oh so politely turn down.

18. Christa says:

I have three boys and was never really hoping for a girl. When our baby girl was born, I knew things would never be the same. They sure aren’t! But I think she’s been good for everyone and even at just 8 months old, she’s toned down our rough and tumble house… just a bit. πŸ™‚

19. Jesse says:

I am the oldest daughter (have a younger sis and two younger bros), and I TOTALLY know what you mean. My sister has a son and nothing seemed to change when he was born. A year (and a couple months) later, I had my (now 2) daughter, and you should see the change that came over my brothers! I’ve never seen them be so emotional and overprotective as they are around my daughter. She has them tied around her little finger, as well as my husband and my father, and my grandfather just can’t stop talking about her when she visits.

20. Heidi says:

This is such a sweet post. I’m the mother of two boys, and I do get annoyed when people ask if we’re going to try for a girl next — first, as if anything you do can make a difference in the baby’s gender, and second, as if my boys aren’t good enough, so I need to keep trying until I get it right or something — but I’ll admit, when reading posts like this, I do start to wonder what if… how would my life be different if there were a little girl in it?

21. Rose says:

Aww, I could have written this! Except I only have two boys, then came the princess. She is four, and is so girly which balances out all the boy in our house! She loves red sparkle shoes, princess dresses, tulle, hair bows and make up (the play kind!) I never expected to have a girl as my hubby was from an all boy family, so she was such a surprise and breath of fresh air in our house. It is cute to watch the boys play with her and her ‘my little ponies’ when they would rather be chasing each other with their actiion figures and toy guns. She does bring a softness to them that they wouldn’t have had otherwise.

22. Jodi W says:

I have 2 girls and a boy on the way – and I too am left wondering what on earth I will do with a boy – questioning my ability to appropriately mother one, etc…..your post reassures me it IS possible to not only figure it out but enjoy a change in the family. =-)

23. New Diva on the Blog says:

Amen.
    Seeing the wonderful big brother my son has begun makes my heart swell to bursting.
    My little package of personality plus is a ton a fun, but I have to admit I fear the teenage years just a tad, which has nothing whatsoever to do with the fact that I might be slightly high maintenance myself.

24. Gina says:

If you’ve never heard it, you should check out the kids song “Cartwheels and Somersaults” by Justin Roberts from his Meltdown cd. One of the lines is Who knew a baby sister could come along and make us realize how much we always missed her?
    Here’s a link where you can hear part of it:

25. Amy says:

Oh, now… why must you do this to me? Lol. Mom of 2 boys…not sure if we’re done or not.. not even sure what I’d wish for if we went for a 3rd. Like many others, I wouldn’t trade the world for my boys… but oh to peek into the world of pink and pwincesses!! πŸ™‚

26. Courtney says:

Do you just LOVE how they say ‘pwincess’?! I dread the day when my tutu wearing, ‘pwincess’ loses that darling little girl voice. They are such blessings and always finding the bee-yoo-tifulness in the most frumpy of nightgowns and bath robes. “Oh mama! That’s soooo cuuuute!” πŸ™‚
    Thanks for reminding me of these marvelous times we need to cherish with our princesses before they grow up and it’s no longer cool to go to the grocery store with mom, let alone in a purple sequin top, fluffy pink tutu, plastic dress up shoes with yet more sequins, a feather boa and most important of all… the tiara. And yes, I do let me daughter do this. In no time at all it will be but a distant memory.

27. SAHMmy Says says:

With my first baby, I truly didn’t care about the sex. I had a boy, and he was so fabulous, I wanted another one! Got a girl! She is fabulous as well, and I’m starting to appreciate the differences between them. It does irk me when people say, “You must be so happy to have one of each!” Actually, I’m just happy they’re here and healthy, thank you very much.

28. Robin says:

Shannon, I know you don’t read me, but I read this post of yours in Bloglines, and since I just wrote about MY princess, I thought I’d pass along the link. She’s 15 and growing at the speed of sound. I think I can survive it :/ :). (I’m sharing it because it’s one of my most favorite things I’ve ever written.)
    (If you have time,
    For Rachel

29. Stephanie's Mommy Brain says:

I’ve got 2 boys and a girl. It still aggravates me when people say “at least ya got yer girl.”
    Anyways. I also wrote about “Sugar & Spice” yesterday. My bit of pink is only a year old but she’s got a lot of spice! Cayenne Pepper, I think. = )

30. chilihead says:

THAT’S IT? You’re not even going to say, “Hey! Look at my sidebar! I’m totally Typepad’s Featured Blog”? Because that, my friend, is utterly cool and much deserved. You are funny and kind and a great mom to boot. I’ve seen all three of those in action and I’m proud to call you my friend. Congratulations!

31. Molly says:

Aaw, what a sweet post! We are totally used to pixie dust and pink in our house, b/c I am the mom of 3 pwincesses and my hubby is the king of the castle! We just learned that we are expecting a BOY…am I ready for the baboon and molton snot questions?!?!?! Oh, that post made me laugh outloud! It appears our life is about to change drastically!

32. Katie says:

Oh, I loved your post! We are just the opposite: 3 girls and 1 very boy-ish boy! (He is something else! I never knew how differently boys were wired.) Our girls are so prissy, all about the “pwetty dwesses”. I’m so glad you have a girly-girl too! And now you’ve inspired me to post about my boy!

33. Nancy the Romancechick says:

That describes my daughter, now 18. She was the little girly girl who charmed her Daddy from the moment she was born (nine weeks early). Now as a young woman he still stares at her in wonder.
    NOW, we have a 5 year old son, and I’m the one baffled about this creature who seems to be made of pure energy and joy. Every day is an adventure and never calm!

34. bubbachic says:

Oh!…another crafy blogging Mummy from Oklahoma – be still my excited heart!! Just found your blog and LOVE it…what a wonderful take on life, I look forward to reading more!
    Dee (An English Girl livin’ in Oklahoma!)
    x

35. Jane says:

Shannon,
    This is a terrific link to a song about parenting, a parents lullaby of sorts. I thought you might enjoy it for your Sunday links.

36. phyllis says:

a great post. i’m the mom of 2 boys, and i often see my girl as just another “one of the boys”…she’s only a baby so i’m sure this will change as she asserts herself. thanks for sharing and congrats on being featured blog of the day!

37. Karen@FamilyBriefs says:

Ooohhh! This reminds me of my oldest daughter. She is quite a little girl, although she can go out and catch lizards with her two older brothers easily (even wearing hair bows and a dwess). We have two boys and two girls and couldn’t be happier!

38. Sandy says:

Hi Shannon, I can relate to the daughter that comes along after being content with boys. But the “pwincess” now is turning into a beautiful young lady — right before our eyes!
    Love this post! Wish we could see a pix?
    Sandy πŸ™‚

39. Anonymous says:

So adorable! I can’t wait to have a daughter. I just hope God allows me the privilege. I mean, I love my son — I just want to have pink fairy dances in the living room, too.
    My boy isn’t so keen on that. πŸ™‚

40. Shalene says:

Girls are so neat! I have 3 girls and one boy (hoping the one I’m carrying now will be a boy too.) I loved the girly moments, and have two very girly girls. My eldest used to be very girly, but now not so much. She’s not a tomboy anymore, thank the Lord, but she went through that phase. πŸ™‚ Enjoy the girly girl moments, and remember if you end up with a tomboy, they do kind of grow out of it. Blessings to you on your beautiful family. In Him, Shalene