You can imagine my total, squealy delight a few months ago when I got an e-mail from Good Housekeeping.  They had read this post, and they wanted to publish it in their magazine, and would that be okay with me?  And I tried to act all all subtle and refined and not jump through my monitor screen while shouting "yes, yes, YES!"

At their request, I called them in their New York (City!  New York City!) offices to discuss the details.  I spoke first with the editor of this particular section, then with her assistant.  They were both lovely and helpful and complimentary, and they both had noticeable New York accents.  Which can only mean one thing:  I had a noticeable raised-in-rural-Arkansas accent.

Which can only further mean that they must’ve gotten off the phone in their swanky New York offices and said, "OH SWEET HEAVENS, WHO IS THE HILLBILLY WE’VE AGREED TO PUBLISH IN OUR REPUTABLE MAGAZINE?"

Actually, I doubt New Yorkers say "oh sweet heavens."  Maybe it was more like "fugghedaboutit", or…what DO New Yorkers say?

Anyhoo, back to the point of this post, and believe it or not there is one, my little ol’ blog post is in Good Housekeeping this month.  I can’t remember the page number–my copy is buried under sheet rock–but it’s toward the back of the magazine.  And there’s even a picture of the kids and me in it too, so I can actually prove that Dryer children do not have little black boxes for faces.

Next time you walk by a newsstand, take a peek!

83 thoughts on “And If They Start a Magazine Called “BAD Housekeeping” I Could Be Their Cover Girl

1. Kilikina says:

OK I went back and read your post, and I was crying with laughter. That was the funniest thing I have EVER read. Shannon, I LOVE your blog.
    Your blog is what I wish mine were! Entertaining!

2. Melissa says:

LOL! I just went over and read that post! No wonder they liked it! I subscribe to Good Housekeeping. So much great information in there! I will be looking for your article!

3. Kelley says:

WAAAA!! Anyone want to send poor ‘ol me in the boondocks of rural Australia a copy? I wanna see kids without boxes for faces!
    Congrats on the nod from Good Housekeeping. You deserve it!

4. Emily says:

Hey Shannon, I’m a bit of a lurker here. I love reading your posts – they are so witty and down-to-earth; you have a real gift of writing.
    Huge congrats on having your post published as an article in Good Housekeeping! That’s fantastic news! That post is hilarious – especially the last line. You should be a regular column writer for GH πŸ˜‰ Who knows, maybe you will!

5. Shalee says:

Congrats, Shannon! (Now maybe you’ll be able to pay for some of your remodeling with your new-found income!) That post is actually one of my favorites. It was about then that I discovered you and all your blogging glory. Good memories going on here.
    Just don’t forget us little people as you’re moving up in the big publishing world!

6. Tara says:

So cool! I always say that I subscribe to “Good Enough Housekeeping”. Gets a laugh every time! You’re welcome to use my tagline if you want… πŸ™‚

7. Jennifer says:

How exciting! Congratulations on being published! I’m glad I read your blog this morning, now I am just a teensy-weensy bit excited to do my grocery shopping. I will definitely be checking it out. Love the post they chose!

8. Jenn says:

Very Cool! Remember, the grass is always greener! I know a lot of NYCer’s and their accent is not lyrical. While they say many “colorful” expressions, none are so nice as the many fun things I have come to love in this post like “Oh my sweet heavens.” I am sure they were rightly impressed!

9. diatribal says:

WOW!! Congratulations!! I was reading this mag yesterday at the Dr’s office. I didn’t make it through the whole thing, so I didn’t notice it. I will have to go out and get my own copy now!
    Congrats again! (I have a nav too. We call her “Courtney” and she is always bossin’ me around!)

10. Goslyn says:

Congrats, Shannon! I have no doubt the book deal will soon follow – if it hasn’t already. (The new baby has put be behind on my blog reading!)

11. Kelly @ Love Well says:

I always feel validated when I get “Good Housekeeping” each month, because probably half of the bloggers recently featured in that column I already have in my Bloglines account.
    Because I know quality when I see it. πŸ˜‰
    Congratulations, Shannon. It’s an honor and certainly one that’s deserved.

12. Angie says:

Shannon that is so awesome! Way to go. I’m really new to the blogging thing, but I’m totally enjoying it. I love reading yours as well.
    Thanks!

13. Ginger says:

Wow! Page 243 (Did someone already say that?) because I have my copy right here with me although I haven’t started reading it yet. (First I have to pull out all those annoying little card inserts!) I’m so excited for you!

14. Liz says:

yay! I went straight to walmart and bought a copy. Your kids look funny without that square black box.
    kidding. I’m just kidding.

15. Sandy says:

Hey Shannon — you got me all excited so I went to my GH and looked and looked, went back to your blog and saw where someone wrote pg. 243 .. and I have AUG! I’ll be checkin’ you out in the store later today.
    FUN FOR YOU πŸ™‚
    Sandy

16. Sandy says:

FUN FOR YOU πŸ™‚
    Sandy

17. Barb @ A Chelsea Morning says:

Well, how fun was that? I’d just received my October issue in last week’s mail but hadn’t even opened it yet. And yep, there you and the kids are right on page 243.
    Great photo, hilarious article and very fun to see a friend in a national magazine. I’d say your days of anonymity are over, big time!

18. Laura says:

Page 243!!!
    Oh my goodness, I just ran down the hall to get the magazine, I’m so excited for you! About as excited as when I squealed reading your “chapter” in the Chicken Soup book at Target… good for you!
    Of course, my husband wonders why I’m excited, since it is your work getting published – he just doesn’t understand the whole mommy-blogger thing at all.
    Congrats!

19. Gina says:

How wonderful!!!! But now you can’t tell me you didn’t jump up and down, things like that need a good floor thumpin’. Now off to check out that article. Congrats!

20. mom2fur says:

That is wonderful! Congratulations! And no, we don’t say “oh, sweet heavens” here in New York! (Well, maybe in upstate New York, which is more rural.) It was probably more like, “Yo! That woman had the totally coolest accent ever!” There might have been something more colorful thrown in, too.
    Of course, I’m kidding! I don’t think people who work in Manhattan have such colorful vocabs.
    I’m not 100% sure, but I think it’s the Bronx or Brooklyn that owns “fuggedabout it,” not Manhattan.
    All I know is, this Noo Yawka says: “Way to go!”

21. mishel says:

I have never posted a comment before, but I *had* to tell you I just bought this issue of GH and was so surprised when I saw your name as the author of the blog entry. VERY cool!! Congratulations! : )

22. Stacey Tate says:

Congrats. Bad Housekeeping–you may have some competition for the cover. My 11 year old has started a treadmill regimen. I grabbed to camera to take a photo for a post entitled “And a Little Child Shall Lead Them.” I had to keep moving angles to make sure the stacks of stuff identifying my homemaking skills wouldn’t get in the way. Aha moment!

23. Bekah says:

Shannon, Great news about the article. I wanted to stop being a lurker and let you know how much I enjoy reading your blog. I have been motivated to get back on mine with more consistency. Thanks for the smiles, LOL”s and so much more.
    Bekah

24. lisa h. says:

oh congratulations! i’ll be looking for it…i think i actully used to get that magazine?? i wonder what happen…or maybe it was better homes?

25. aggiema says:

Just got my copy in the mail today! Congrats on the publication. It is cool to see blogs I read in a national magazine. I tell myself….I knew them before they were famous!