A Random Thought Upon Watching College Football With My Husband

You know how, during a football game, they’ll show a little box highlighting a player’s stats?  It will say his hometown, and his position, his age, etc.  And then (*shudder*)…it will say his weight?  Tonight I saw a highlight for a kid who weighs 317 pounds.  317!

CAN YOU IMAGINE having your weight publicized on national television?  Could there be a greater horror?  I broke into hives just telling the lady at the DMV.

But I guess if you weighed 317 you wouldn’t worry too much about people laughing at you.

<a href="http://www.sk-rt.com/submit.php?url=&#8221; target=’_blank’>add to sk*rt

18 thoughts on “A Random Thought Upon Watching College Football With My Husband

1. Mike says:

They spend a lot of time and hard work in the cafeteria to get up to that weight. They probably sit around making fun of the petite 280’ers.

2. Jesse says:

I cringe at the thought of telling others in my FAMILY my weight, not to mention those outside of it.
    But as an aside, I knew a guy in high school who was a heavy-weight in wrestling (that means over 300) AND a starting lineman on the football team. One spring to summer before his Junior year, he decided to take control of his weight (over-active thyroid problems run in his family, so he used a doctor’s help), and he got down somewhere in the ballpark of 210-220. He told me he lost over 100 lbs! When I first talked with him about this, it was not long before his Junior year started (it was in the summer, and I’d graduated that May), and they were having their two-a-days when he’d decided to quit the football team. He was no longer “viable” as a starting linebacker. I talked to him again over the holidays (when I’d come back to visit from college), and he was having trouble getting on in wrestling because he had to compete for a spot and was worried he wouldn’t get it…he’d previously been guaranteed one! And his popularity? Forget it! It went from awesome to nil.
    There is hope here, though, that he eventually found some TRUE friends who didn’t always obsess about his weight, and his Senior year was a lot better (AND he is still able to keep the weight off!). But I was disgusted at the way he was treated by those kids….he’d always felt people would treat him badly because of his weight, but they actually treated him BETTER when he was heavier. He was never embarrassed by how much he weighed until he neared a more “normal” weight. His embarrassment at being “over 300” was NOTHING compared to his embarrassment at being “slightly pudgy” or having “some baggy skin” or even being told he “looked different and weird”. Now THAT idea made *me* almost sick to my stomach.

3. Dana says:

I’m 5’2″ tall and USED TO weigh just over 317. I have two words to say: GASTRIC BYPASS! I still have about 50 pounds to lose, but I’ve come a long way, baby!

4. maria says:

here’s the thing..male athletes DO NOT CARE, they want to be heavier. In fact my oldest lies about his weight and ADDS 15 pounds. I joke that I’ll give him the 15 anytime he wants em.

5. Jennifer says:

It’s different for men anyway. You see a fat guy, and think “he probably played some ball in HS/college.” People see a fat lady & think, “What’s wrong with her, does she have no self control?” Huge double standard.

6. MissKris says:

Welllll…this is very embarrassing, but at one time – well, twice, to be totally honest -my weight has been right up there with most of the professional football/college players…221 pounds. Arggggghhhhh! The first time I realized that, I was so mortified I went right out and joined Weight Watchers! Lost 84 pounds…then gained it all back!!! ARghhhhhhh! Now I’m at a reasonably comfortable weight and I’ve been here for years. This was my first time visiting your site…enjoyed it very much!

7. Sarah W. says:

As a voice of experience, my husband played college football and weighed about 330 lbs at his heaviest. And, in that arena and his position, the heavier, the better. He was that heavy in high school, and it was a very cool to others how much he weighed (and scared opponents). So while I would not want my weight published on national TV, to them, its something they are proud of sort of.
    But once my husband quit playing, he lost a bunch of weight. And at 250 lbs (he is really tall), people now think “he is so skinny”…..which makes both of us laugh. Because if I weighed that, people would not call me skinny!

8. Ranee @ Arabian Knits says:

Remember that most of it is muscle weight. Also, I disagree that people see a fat man and think he must have played ball. They see fat. Now a large man, who doesn’t look chucnky and pudgy, they might think that, but large and fat are not the same thing.

9. Gego says:

There is such a “double” standard for weight. It is OK for most men to weigh more than 50# over the norm but it isn’t OK for women. Why? Print media, TV, advertisements, Rock stars? Docs selling weight loss formulas on the infomertials? Where is the influence for a healthy weight? I am tired of seeing a skinny, anorexic, regurgitation specialist, druggie set as the “model” for our girls. Marilyn Monroe wore a size 14. In my more than 50 years, I have yet to hear a member of the male species condemn her for being over weight. But, she wasn’t a football star looking for a multi-million $$ contract.
    Mini skirts are coming back in style. Y’all think I would still look “cute” in one 25 years later? Talk about regurgitation…..