She Sings

For my daughter, life is one big Rodgers and Hammerstein musical.  At any moment, she will burst into song about what is going on RIGHT THEN.

But these are not the trite songs of preschool-hood–oh, no.  She has "Twinkle, Twinkle" and "The Wheels On the Bus" in her repertoire, but Corrie’s songs are original.  She is an artist, by gosh, and she must create

When she plays with her dollhouse, she sings a song about a dollhouse.  When we’re in the car, she songs about the car.  When she sees my cell phone, she sings a song about a chicken.

I have no idea, either.

Yesterday, she was playing in the bath while I got ready, and the moment was just right for another song burst.  "Jesus wuvs me and Momma is hungwy," she sang, mastering two important eternal truths in one fell swoop.

The one that has me puzzled, though, is a song in which she sings over and over in an aching voice, "When I was safe…"

When she was safe?  I love the way fellow grocery patrons look at me when she sings that one.  I mean, it’s very tortured and Les-Miserable-esque of her, but she is, after all, only two years old

Evidently all the unconditional love and nurturing has pushed our girl to the very brink of despair.

add to sk*rt

53 thoughts on “She Sings

1. Flibby says:

A girl after my own heart! I still love to sing about everything… and I’m seventeen!
    “When I was safe” had me laughing out loud! I can just imagine her singing that in the grocery store, very dramatically of course!

2. Melissa says:

It is the beginning of a wonderful song writing career! My 7 year old also makes up songs that cover everything from her grief over losing a pet to her joy of a friend visiting.

3. Kellan says:

My six year old does the same thing. I love to walk past her room and hear her just a singin’ away. My 15 year old twin daughters, however, quote Will Ferrell – constantly, to any situation. The Will Ferrell stuff I recognize, makes this funny. But, half the stuff I don’t … so this makes most of what they say – gibberish.

4. merry says:

How cute!
    My hubby, age 30, does the same thing. It’s something that stays cute for a long time, unlike some other habits they might have!

5. JP's Mom says:

What a cutie!
    Maybe we get all these singing 2 and 3 year old cuties together and they can have a band.
    I wonder what the going booking rate would be for 2 & 3 year olds? 🙂
    I have a 3 year old little singer. Yesterday she broke out into “hawewwuah Jesus” from the Monk & Neagle cd. Too Too Cute.

6. Coralie says:

My nephew does this. One time when we were visiting, he and his sister were downstairs playing with her Barbies (a compromise, as she had just had a sword fight with him). They were happily singing the Barbie dialog for some minutes before his sister SANG “Why are we singing everything they say?”
    On another occasion he was singing a song about seeing the eyes of a whale on the face of a dragon. None of us were paying that much attention until he stopped, raised his hands and said “One more time!” then launched into it again.
    He’s six. You have a lot to look forward to.

7. Soccer Mom Melanie says:

I love her songs. I particularly like when we have lunch and a show–twice the entertainment at an eighth of the price we’d pay for those professionals who ain’t got nothin’ on that girl.

8. Mommy says:

Sounds like a two-year-old girl I know (mine), only she sometimes merely butchers the words of a known song to make one of her own. “Who built the ark? Noah. Noah. Who built the ark? Noah’s brother built the ark.”

9. Checkers says:

ROFL! My toddler son is almost 3 and we always say he’s living in a musical because he’s singing about everything all the time as well. Aren’t kids cute?

10. Ashleigh says:

She’s just taking a little artistic liberty with that one… because who likes songs that are about happy things like Momma being hungwy ALL the time? We need some drama, ya know.

11. Jennifer says:

My daughter does this too, it usually goes “My mommy is mad at meeeee…but I love her anyway….” Can we say guilt trip? It’s usually when I’m not mad at her anyway, but I guess “when I was safe” is probably the next verse coming up. ROFL.

12. Sherry says:

My 30+ husband STILL does this. His most popular (aka the one that has etched a permanent spot in my brain) is a Vanilla-Ice-ish “Tea machine baby to go, to go…”
    My kids have also inherited this trait, but thank goodness they are not familiar with Vanilla Ice.

13. Shalee says:

We sing lots at our house, but my favorite times is when the boy, sitting in the backseat of the car and coloring, breaks out in his “I love Mommy, I love Daddy, I love my sister with all my hearrrrrt, but I love God moooooooooooooooooooooore!” song. That, my friend, puts a smile on my face every single time!

14. JennaG says:

My son does this–but he only composes in the tub or shower. He writes the funniest praise songs–I’m sure they are precious to the Lord–and give Him quite the giggle!

15. Jeni says:

This had me giggling out loud. I can’t wait till my 1 year old starts inventing songs! She’s already dramatic and doesn’t really talk yet.

16. Nicki says:

I love when kids say things in public that make everyone look at you. Isn’t it great? Yeah, not so much. I love the chicken/cell phone. It makes you wonder what goes through their heads.

17. Phyl says:

I love it~ Such a shame that all that love and nurturing is such horrid torture…lol. I have grown(22 & 18) year olds who sing entire conversations with one another:).
    Gotta love that creative spirit!

18. Liz C says:

Punishments at our house come in this form. If the kids can’t use a civil tone, they get “grounded” to speaking in a British accent all day. If they’re still struggling to be decent, they’re grounded to singing everything. And one day, they were on it so bad, they weren’t allowed to speak unless they could sing in RHYME.
    I am SO mean.

19. Laura says:

Oh good, it’s not just my kid! My 6 YO DS does this all the time – in fact he is in his room cleaning as I type and singing at the top of his lungs. Good thing we started music lessons this year – watch out Simon, my son will be prepared in 10 years…

20. Thea says:

Sounds like you might have a future belter on your hands! That’s great!
    My own little one shuts her eyes real tight and sways whenever there is slow music on. She really feels it, man.

21. Charlsie Swadley says:

Oh my, you crack me up, or rather your daughter does!!! I think it made me laugh even more though because my 2.5 year old will bust out with songs at the oddest times too. I just think that the way you put it was so appropriate….Rodgers and Hammerstein!

22. Steph says:

Funny! My 5yo DS seems to enjoy singing at the top of his lungs while going #2. It’s VERY interesting when we have company!

23. Heather says:

I was laughing so hard about the “When I was safe” bit. It is so funny to see what witty little lines two year olds come up with. Thanks for sharing

24. jenn says:

is it at all possible she is mixing up ‘safe’ w/ saved? given your faith and i’m assuming here that you go to church – has she heard a “when i was saved” song or lesson.
    either way, it is a way too cute story!!!

25. Kim says:

My 4 year old is also a singer, but recently taken on the job of family cheerleader. Her newest cheer?
    Open the barn door,
    Kick out the hay!
    We’re the girls of the USA.
    Turn on the radio,
    What do I hear?
    and that’s it for that cheer. But it goes over, and over, and over, and…well you get the picture!

26. Miss Wisabus says:

Wow. That “When I Was Safe” ditty sounds like a doozy.
    There’s a little girl at work that sounds like your daughter. One of her favorites goes like this:
    Miss Wisabus
    Has crazy hair
    It’s so crazy
    Like my mommy

27. Lindsay says:

That’s too funny! The “When I was safe” part cracked me up. I often randomly start singing whatever song pops into my head, often one from a musical, but I don’t remember ever coming up with my own! However, I do remember questioning my mother once when I was little as to why Maria von Trapp could get on a bus singing quite loudly without anyone giving her funny looks. I always wished I could go around singing like that and have it seem perfectly normal!

28. Lora K. says:

I’m Lindsay’s mom, and I thought that a few things needed to be clarified so that you can truly understand the “whole” picture. First, when Lindsay was younger (she is 22 now) she would leap through the house, and never walked anywhere… now it’s just dancing and twirling. I don’t know why she would make it seem that she doesn’t sing in public… she still does! If we are walking through the parking lot at a store, and it’s raining… she sings, what else but… “Singing in the Rain.” She has been known to go through Wal-Mart with an umbrella over her shoulder singing, “With Cat Like Tread” (Pirates of Penzance)and when buying a new broom type implement, she marched through the store with it over her shoulder singing “Chim, Chimeney”. And I almost forgot, at Target she found some coconut candles and wanted to clack them together ala… Monty Python… prancing behind me pretending to ride a horse. I drew the line at this! So, all of you dear ladies… it doesn’t go away, the looks just get stranger the older they are.