Works For Me: BACKWARDS DAY!

Wfmwheaderbackwards I don’t know about you, but I’ve been looking forward to this!

Today is Backwards Day at Works-For-Me Wednesday.  Instead of sharing a tip that has worked for you, you’ll throw out an issue or question that has stumped you (preferably not something like quantum physics, y’all).  Keep it short and keep it specific, and watch (hopefully) the suggestions come flooding through your comments sections.

I have two of my own for anyone who would care to weigh in.

• Has anyone ever found a really good eyeliner that is actually smudge-proof?  Because I’ve been wearing make up for over 20 years, and I’ve never found one that stands up to my tough smudge standards.  I’m about to resort to a Sharpie marker!
  • Do you have any ideas for storing kitchen spray cleaner in an attractive way?  I don’t like to keep mine under the counter, because I use it so often.  But keeping a bottle of 409 isn’t exactly my idea of cute.  I was hoping one of you had come up with an idea for doing this cleverly.

Now it’s your turn!  Leave a link to your WFMW Backwards Day post below.  The guidelines are the same as those in a normal week, so you first-timers please read through them.

1. Chocolate and Garlic (Vacation with young children)
2. PTT (Family out of sync)
3. Many Little Blessings (Your Favorite Gifts?)
4. Kandy (organizing children\’s room)
5. Autumn Daisy Studio (Chores for Kids?)
6. Capturing Today (Shoe Help?)
7. Mrs. Brownstone @ XBOX Wife (tipping)
8. Kacie (How to clean soap spills?)
9. Activities Coordinator (Extreme Makeover-Blog Edition)
10. Liza\’s Eyeview (easy recipe?)
11. phyllis (sleeping late)
12. Nap Warden (tooth brushing, help)
13. Kellyn
14. Beth @ The Natural Mommy (Toddler Choices)
15. Lori – Queen of Dirty Laundry (keeping 4yo busy)
16. FamilyBriefs (blogging)
17. Jill (marriage advice)
18. WorksForMom (Good Toddler Shoes?)
19. Melanie(school lunches)
20. Demeter (hurrying the dawdler)
21. FamilyBriefs (distracted 7yo)
22. Lady Why (Cracker Barrel biscuits?)
23. Grace For Gayle (Poopin on the Potty)
24. Choosing Voluntary Simplicity (Produce, E. Coli, Bacteria, and You)
25. MemeGRL (kids staying dry through the night)
26. Lori ~ Simple Life at Home (preteen emotional tidal wave)
27. Mommy Zabs- (My Bathroom Smells like a Urinal!)
28. Stretch Mark Mama (Grease Stains)
29. Karla~Looking Towards Heaven (making the top bunk bed)
30. Jes @ BeautyFromChaos (Chores for a 14 mo. old?)
31. Ewokgirl (Tasty vegetarian meals?)
32. Tea Party Girl (RSVPs and Hostess Gifts)
33. Charlotte (to homeschool or not to homeschool?)
34. Amy @ By His Grace (Indoor fun for Toddlers)
35. Melissa at Yesterday\’s Hopes(getting a child to sleep in their bed)
36. Lynnae (Pantry Organization?)
37. Mrs Pear (Home School Hopeful)
38. Julie (kids hitting)
39. OW (eye makeup remover)
40. Barbara H. (need help with quick meals and cleaning walls)
41. Chris (Digital Photos)
42. Smockity Frocks (Seasonal Clothes Storage)
43. Abel (Why You Shouldn\’t Stop Your Child From Crying)
44. everychapter (white sauce)
45. Veronica (Organize children\’s shoes)
46. Stacey (paper clutter)
47. Carrie (more children?)
48. Lindsey (Cats!)
49. Jordan @ MamaBlogga (indoor toddler games)
50. Where the Heart Is (kids\’ clothing stains)
51. Lana G! CHRISTMAS GIFTS
52. My Twenty Cents Keeps Moving (scrambled eggs)
53. Duckabush Blog (Menu, Chores and Love)
54. ellen b. (Pay bills online??)
55. Stacy (Getting rid of the paci)
56. Michelle at Scribbit (asking for Halloween Ideas)
57. Mandy (toddler to sit still in church?)
58. Chrystal (Favorite Kid Lunches)
59. DebMomOf3 (sleep and potty issues)
60. Saph-blood stains
61. Need A Nap 2
62. Need A Nap 2 (cleaning gas stove, first posting)
63. Amy@P2P (monetizing your blog)
64. Macy (Teething help?)
65. Robin (organizing earrings?)
66. InfinityGoods (increasing web traffic?)
67. SAHMmy Says (Help! Breastfeeding Issue!
68. tina (1st time)
69. Heather Cotten
70. The Pumkin Patch (Potty Training)
71. Amy (treating stains?)
72. SINGFORHIM @ Real Life (Ugh, Dust!)
73. Sheila (rename my blog)
74. Jane(how much homework?)
75. Cindee (Where2Sleep?)
76. Nikki (out of control toys)
77. Marie(parenting help)
78. Jenny (Long term storage tips?)
79. Mommy-fied (Speech Therapy@home)
80. Debs(moving from London to Texas)
81. Robin (6-yr old sass)
82. chickadee (organizing coupons?)
83. Corrie (family scripture study help?)
84. Mummymac (Recipe please!)
85. Susan(MexicanRecipes??)
86. 3foldcord(Labor & Potty training HELP needed)
87. Mommy of Three (Frizzy Hair HELP, and leather couch cleaner ideas!)
88. Heather (carpet spot remover)
89. It Coulda Been Worse (Sweatypits!)
90. DramaMama(Camera)
91. Leigh (infertility & pregnancy)
92. Org queen (decluttering)
93. Elizabeth (clothes bugget HELP)
94. Zoe (teenagers rooms and own domain names)
95. Marcia (Christmas gifts)
96. Georgia Mom (long hair tips)
97. Peggie (painting)
98. carrie (product suggestions)
99. Milehimama (Kids and Fruit)
100. VerrySherry (sandwiches & heels?)
101. Jen (laundry woes)
102. Ami (baby monitors)
103. Katie (homework help sites)
104. Katrina (Web-safety software/filter)
105. Billie (play-doh/bike riding)
106. Multitasking Mama (kids interrupting!)
107. EmmyJMommy (PURGING)
108. Amy (Fruit gnats)
109. Goslyn (Mascara Woes)
110. Mary Ann(cleaning smelly Tupperware)
111. Naturemama (cloth pull ups)
112. At A Hen\’s Pace (nonstick cookware?)
113. Candace (digital pic org and hand me down org)
114. Slava Bogu (Non-toxic Cleaner)
115. Elena Menopause
116. Barb (Mops and Vacuums)
117. Becky (Home Management That Works)
118. Beth@sportsmomma (cleaning shower doors!!)
119. Becky (anger in children)
120. AmyG (ebay)
121. Mommin\’ It Up (what\’s the best baby sling?)
122. Amy
123. Eva (Preschooler\’s Angst)
124. Princess Leia (baby stain removal)
125. Amy W (boy stink in bathroom)
126. Aunt Murry (In need of cleaning/laudry tips)
127. Amy (Pet Hair & Eye Shadow)
128. Girl Gone Wild (Candle Wax Removal?)
129. Elaine (grocery game)
130. Aunt Murry (Use this one…the other link is messed upIn need of Laundry and Cle
131. Gift of Green (Playmobil pieces/Ironing Organic?)
132. Janelle (Ink Stains)
133. jen (little toys)
134. Sasha (Flies)
135. Tina (Headaches/Migraines)
136. Summer (Help me potty train my FOUR year old!!)
137. Stephanie (kids picking up)
138. Tonsofsons
139. Ashley (cat litter)
140. Barbara (Christian resources dealing with menopause?)
141. The Not Quite Crunchy Parent (What to Do Instead of TV)
142. chilihead (mop wood floors)
143. Happy Momma (Blogginb Basics 101)
144. Shelly (sock matching)
145. Jennifer (organizing library books)
146. Lisa Kay (CVS Cards/Rewards??)
147. Neighbor Jane Payne (favorite Fall tradition)
148. Tonsofsons~ cheap christmas gifts
149. Jill (CDPJ) – Potty Training HELP ME!!
150. Veggiemomof2 (nail polish)
151. Kelli@GohnCrazy (I\’m PICKY!)
152. Clappy Shoes(Help for Small Bathroom)
153. Momma 2 Beans (Big Boy Bed)
154. Stewardship Living (going green)
155. Amy (Storing outgrown clothes?) (whoops)
156. T with Honey (curly toddler hair)
157. Kathy Days (family dinner recipes?)
158. Michelle(should I go to reunion?)
159. Tracy (log home or book suggestion?)
160. Lexi (potty training HELP!)
161. Missy (home management)
162. Melissa at Anxious for Nothing (Dirty Dishcloths)
163. Six In The Mix (microwave smell, math curriculum)
164. Kisses of Sunshine: How to Discipline AND remove toner
165. Rachel Anne (matching laundry scents? health insurance?
166. Mandi (handling sibling problem)
167. Robin (HELP me clean my shower…PLEASE!!!
168. Jamie (meal ideas for 20 people)
169. Amy (1st Birthday ideas)
170. Melissa (Tracking expenses)
171. madridmom (hot flashes)
172. Madridmom(bread storage)
173. Chappyswife (Sharpie removal)
174. Jeni (hanging laundry on the line)
175. Teresa
176. Dawn (Cleaning Mini Blinds)
177. Teresa (Bat Problems)
178. kel (baby STUFF to buy?)
179. Susanne
180. Tamara Cosby
181. Crystal @ Money Saving Mom (The Grocery Game?)
182. Innstyle Montana-GP
183. Texastanya (Allowance???)
184. Shannon M (finding babysitter)
185. Katrina in Wa. (sticky laundry and books)
186. Emily (Why?)
187. DHM (Fix Ugly ceiling tiles?)
188. Not the Queen (preschoolers and airplanes)
189. Mom (Anti-sexist kids books!)
190. Kayris (Keeping The Baby Entertained)
191. MooBeeMa (childhood diabetes)
192. Emily (#2: sour dish cloths?)
193. Kathy (chocolate for nausea)
194. Karen (eczema & toddler troubles)
195. Amyswandering (digital scrapbook, art set)
196. Carrie J ( Posting Links in Blog comments)
197. Ann\’Re (HELP! Mouthy, defiant child)
198. kathryn (crib to toddler bed)
199. Motherscribe (Where to put all that art work?)
200. Kathy (pretty storage for cleaners)
201. Kelli in the mirror (reusable grocery bags)
202. Catherine (cleaning a tub)
203. Beth@sportsmomma -help for dyslexia
204. Jenny from Chicago – Laundry Management
205. Melinda (baby alarm clock)
206. Melinda (potty training)
207. Andrea(blog and cleaning questions:))
208. Janelle (potty training)
209. Paige (gaining weight)
210. Charity (boys getting pee on toilet)
211. Kim (disipline ideas needed)
212. monica (mysterious carpet stains)
213. Jenn (bathroom cleaning/organizing)
214. Lizzie( copywork? & books on CD–paying attention)
215. Jendi (pumpkins & knife marks)
216. Mo (pet supply & bread storage?)
217. Stephanie (Hospitality and Frugality)
218. Angela (Make shower grout white)
219. Kris at Wonder Mom (needs crockpot recipes and lunchbox ideas)
220. Andrea (teaching kids to blow)
221. Suzanne (deferred gratification)
222. Suzanne (tidy hats & mittens)
223. Kim – pink tinged clothes white again
224. Ann Kroeker (fast/slow-paced lifestyles)
225. Annie (getting dye off)
226. BRC Banter
227. Crafty Pumpkin (Picky Eaters & Complainers)
228. Tamara (Stains in Carpet)
229. Anna
230. Kara (Eggplant recipe)
231. Crystal @ Biblical Womanhood (Early Learning Helps?)
232. MommaofMany (sheets)
233. Alaina (toddler snacks & activities)
234. Amy@Sonshinecottage (schedules/routines?)
235. Lines From The Vine(Baby Gifts)
236. Courtney (Filet Crochet)
237. Sincerely Anna (pediatrician appt)
238. monica (mysterious carpet stains)
239. Amy (online time)
240. PinkJeweledCat (easy chicken noodle soup)
241. Louise (Need crockpot recipes!)
242. Shama-Lama Mama (R-E-S-P-E-C-T)
243. MamaLady (Nighttime pottying)
244. Kara (help brushing daughter\’s hair)
245. mopsy (Beer Cheese Soup recipes needed ASAP
246. Kris (storing/organizing little girls hairbands-use this link instead)
247. With an Angel on my Shoulder (natural cleaning)
248. Ang (picky eater)
249. Polly
250. Polly (BABY SLEEP!)
251. Seis (Bread Machine New or Thrift?)
252. Maricar at Keeping the Castle (Stove Cleaning Tips?)
253. Rhen- yestheyareallmine (drip pans)
254. Totallyscrappy (prayer/devotion)
255. Sarah
256. Sarah (Dishwasher smell?)
257. Mama Diaries (Thank You Notes)
258. Rebekah
259. Rebekah — All Natural Laundry Soap — Made by YOU!
260. Rookie Mom (Babysitting 101)
261. Straight Shooter
262. Alana (siblings sharing room)
263. Nadine (quilting stencil help!)
264. Robin Organization Baggies

Powered by… Mister Linky’s Magical Widgets.

112 thoughts on “Works For Me: BACKWARDS DAY!

1. Melanie says:

Hmmm… you could find a cute spritz bottle and just put the cleaner in it. Something like those spritzers for gardening, maybe? Just be sure everyone knows the contents.
    I am an eye pencil girl. It all smudges a bit, but the kind that requires an actual sharpener smudges less (as opposed to the twist up kind.) Cover Girl all the way. Cheap is good.

2. Kandy says:

as far as the spray cleaner goes…you can buy clear spray bottles and decorate them yourself. Have your children paint them, or just do something cute yourself. They also sell them plain or with some designs, but nothing really “cute”. Personally, if I had mine out all the time and was worried about it not looking nice, I’d let my kids decorate it…but then, I have a very creative 11-year-old, and I have “art” from all 3 of my kids all over my house πŸ™‚

3. Kandy says:

oh yeah…they also sell these things…they’re covers for kitchen appliances and such (like toasters) and I know I’ve seen them in various sizes, so you might be able to find one that would attractively cover a spray bottle πŸ™‚

4. phyllis says:

sharpie sounds good to me. after all, i don’t wear makeup…well, almost never. i was going to suggest the same as the commenter above who said to buy plain spray bottles and decorate them yourself. or just plain bottles might be prettier than the big ol’ 409 on the counter… i can’t believe i’m in the first 20 this week:-)

5. Kellyn says:

I have some 409 on my counter in a cute spray bottle that we used to use for the cat long ago. It works well, and on one knows what it is!
    I am not a makeup person, wear it maybe…a dozen times a year. I have found though that the non-twisting kind does work better!

6. Dee says:

I have had the same problem with eyeliner! What works for me is to dip a Q-tip in my Bare Escentuals Mineral Veil (I suppose any translucent face powder would work, but I’ve only used the Mineral Veil) first, then “line” under my eyes with it. Then I apply Revlon Colorstay liner on top and it stays all day! I use Urban Decay Primer Potion on my lids and I have read that it will work under the eye too, but haven’t tried that yet!

7. Overwhelmed With Joy! says:

Hmmm…can’t help you with the eye liner question. I don’t wear it.
    As for storing kitchen spray cleaner in an attractive way, well we have to keep ours up out of the little guy’s reach but we use a lazy susan (the round spinning thing) in one of our kitchen cabinets so it’s easy to find and grab.

8. Barbara H. @ Stray Thoughts says:

I’m afraid I can’t help with either one. I don’t do eyeliner very well — I don’t have a steady hand at all! And my 409 stays under the sink. For a while there I was seeing ladies make cute little aprons for their dish soap — maybe something like that would work for 409 as well?

9. Dawn says:

NO! I have never found eyeliner that didn’t smudge – I’m so glad it’s not just me, I thought I was makeup-handicapped or something! I’ll be eagerly checking for someone to find a solution…um, other than Sharpie marker. πŸ˜‰

10. Dawn says:

I can’t help you on the eyeliner problem, and my suggestion for the spray bottles has already been mentioned. I think it would be cute to buy plain spray bottles and let the kids decorate them. I might to this myself.

11. Deb - Mom of 3 Girls says:

Hmm, I can’t really help with either of those – I wear mascara so rarely anymore and my idea of smudge-proof is remembering to not rub my eyes… πŸ˜‰ And I have disinfecting wipes looking extremely un-cute on my kitchen counter as well. I’ll be interested to see what you find out though!
    And hoping someone can help me with sleep and potty issues over at my place too… πŸ™‚

12. Robin Meaney says:

Don’t you know eye liner should be smudgy – that gives you smoky, sexy eyes and that look of a heroin addict. No real advice, sorry.
    Lots of cleaners are so pretty that just putting them in a clear spray bottle might be pretty enough. Just make sure you know what they are somehow. Or how about wrapping the bottle with duct tape.

13. Smockity Frocks says:

I was just going to comment that I like my eyeliner to look slightly smoky and smudgy, (yes, I was thinking of just those words!) and then Robin had to go and call me a heroine addict! Hmph! I’m kidding, but I really do use the eyeliner that has the little smudger on one end. I don’t like the drawn line look.
    Thank you, Shannon, for this WFMW. What a great idea!

14. SAHMmy Says says:

Great idea for backwards day! Looking forward to reading answers to your 409 question–I never thought of making this counter staple more attractive before!

15. Robin (the pensieve one) says:

Shannon, I’M AN IDIOT! Gosh, I can tell my brain is FRIED (my kitchen’s under renovation…and I’ve been putting it back together the better part of the afternoon til NOW).
    I accidentally linked to my main page, not the post itself…should I sign in to Mr. Linky again or can you fix it?
    SOOooo sorry to screw up my first time (I reeally used to be smart…and then I had kids πŸ˜‰ ).

16. Jane says:

Hi,
    I too had your problems with eyeliner and eye shadow. By the time I got to work it was gone! Recently though, I got some Mary Kay eye primer and now my eye makeup glides on smooth and seriously stays on even if I shower! Just as long as I don’t scrub it stays on. Regular make-up remover does remover it though. This only works for the lids not the under eye liner.

17. Rachel says:

I finally found a smudge proof eyeliner and it’s not tricky to use even tho it’s liquid: Artliner by Lancome. Their mascara is great, too.

18. SingForHim @ Real Life says:

Eye primer is the way to go, unless you want to use liquid eye liner. Liquid doesn’t smudge nearly as much. Personally, I like mine smudged, too.
    As for the cleaner, I would be afraid to put mine in pretty bottles, because my children are so attracted to them. But have you thought about putting a hook on the inside of a cabinet or pantry door?
    Good question.

19. diatribal says:

I use the Method Cleaners that you can buy at target. They clean our messes really well! They also come in attractive, clear bottles that have labels you can peel off. There are several different scents so you can pick a scent and color that you like. I keep them on my windowsill above the sink because I use it constantly!! Hope this helps. Good luck with the eyeliner too!

20. JCK says:

I’d go with the Sharpie. After all they come in those OH SO LUSCIOUS colors. And unlike your expensive eye liner brand, you never lose a Sharpie. They are ever so handy as they get such frequent use in labeling children’s wear, ziploc bags, and lettering signs such as: I’M HAVING A TIME OUT. LEAVE ME ALONE. LOVE, YOUR MOMMY. And of course now…for eye liner! The New Sharpie – it’s everything to every mom. Hey, you could even use it to label your pretty new spray bottle storage container, too!

21. heather says:

You may have an oily eye area, which means that nothing will be 100% smudge proof for you. But I do recommend Mary Kay (I can send samples if you want to try before you buy.)

22. trixie says:

Good Morning,
    I’m excited about this post, it sounds so much fun!
    I use Revlon Color Stay eyeliner. While not perfect, it is the best I’ve found in my long search for smudge free eyeliner. Their lip liner works great too. I put lip balm on and use it for lipstick that actually stays.
    Take Care,
    Trixie

23. Katie says:

I have a Clinique eye liner. You turn the tube and more just keeps coming. I personally love the slate color. It’s pretty good about not running; it even handles a quick nap okay.

24. Goslyn says:

I can’t help on the eyeliner – I have the same problem myself. I find that what holds up best, actually, is to take solid eyeshadow with a little brush, wet the brush, and then apply the shadow as a liner. It still doesn’t hold up great, though.
    But – with regards to the spray cleaner – you can buy very pretty little glass or metal misting bottles at gardening stores. You could fill that bottle with your 409 and set it on your counter if you wanted. My only concern would be marking the bottle in such a way that people knew what was in it – especially since you still have little ones. Good luck!

25. mummymac says:

Shannon – I just HAVE to say about how frustrating it is when people take part in something like this but won’t allow comments from people who use wordpress!! I presume it’s the same for anyone who doesn’t use blogger.
    I mean I hate to moan but when we take the time to read the post and come up with an answer it’s a real bummer if you can’t post it!
    I know Ellen B did a post on this here
    I know it’s not your problem – but with your following perhaps you could mention it.
    Thanks for this WFMW it was a great idea.

26. Eva says:

All I can think is maybe hide it behind something? Or stick it in a more handy cupboard?
    As for the makeup question, I don’t use makeup, so I have no idea!

27. Jenny from Mommin' It Up says:

The best eyeliner is Mary Kay and it’s only $10 which unfortunately is actually a good price in today’s cosmetic world. It really stays on though – the reason I switched to it is because my beautiful friend always looked so gorgeous and my eyeliner was always drooping so low it looked like a moustache. So I had to ask her what she used and get some! I’ve got a good MK lady if you need one, you can order online and it’s free shipping. πŸ™‚

28. Jennifer, Snapshot says:

What a fun idea! Please do this again. Not only does it appeal to the bossy advice-giver in me, but I can search the areas in which I need help, and go over and read others’ tips in the comments!

29. Ann says:

Socks, my husband and son now wear the same size socks, they are plain grey or plain black. My tip is to buy one of them plain weave socks ,the other one ribbed socks. It does save me from any confusion and the sock hider is revealed!

30. Ann says:

31. Shelly says:

Someone else recommended Mary Kay and I would second or third that. I use Mary Kay liquid liner in brown. I like the one with a little brush applicator on the end of the wand. I wipe the excess off the brush on the inside of the tube, (like fingernail polish) and apply a very thin line on my eyelids. The key is the very very very very thin line of liner. Since it is liquid it is dark enough to do the job. I don’t know if they have colors other than black and brown, but I think they have gray. I’ve been using it smudge free for over 10 years. It works for me.

32. Michelle says:

I had the same issue with eyeliner. I went to see a makeup artist for “lessons” and shared my concerns with her. She used a “cake liner” (like a heavier eye shadow) to line my eyes. She applied it with a small angled brush. It stayed on really well. She said if I couldn’t find cake liner (which I couldn’t), that eyeshadow works just as well. So, now I line my bottom lids in dark brown eye shadow that I apply with the small angled brush. It’s not a perfect solution — but the result is HEAPS better than eyeliner for me. I don’t end up looking like a racoon on most days. Also, for me, I really had to focus on not rubbing my eyes so much during the course of the day. HTH!

33. Caroline says:

While I scrolled through your comments I wondered if anyone did my trick. I saw it once but thought I would go ahead and type it again in case anyone missed it.
    After applying eyeliner add a little eyeshadow on top. It will keep it there most of the day.

34. Kelli says:

I’m not cosmetcally inclined so I am no help with your first question, but what about taking a pice of fabric and sewing up a cute little bottle slip cover? You could sew in a piece of ribbon and tie that cute up around the neck so that you can still spray the bottle. Just a thought. πŸ™‚

35. Amy says:

I am a basket lover, so my first thought for your spray bottle storage is to find a basket. Something tall, like a magazine basket, would completely hide the bottle yet make it easily accessible.

36. Mandy Houk says:

Mary Kay, Mary Kay, Mary Kay. No kidding. Plus, they have great colors.
    (I have to confess that I do sell Mary Kay, but it’s not a career–no pink cars in my future, baby–it’s a ploy to get the good stuff for consultant prices!)
    As for the spray cleaner … I have no idea. I do keep my dish soap, diluted with about 2/3 water, in a pretty oil dispenser. But that wouldn’t work for spray. Sorry!

37. Tracy says:

No to the sharpie – what if you make a mistake? You’d have to live for it for a longggg time.
    No ideas about the liner though.
    I’d echo the pretty spray bottle that you fill with the 409. Though I’d label it clearly somehow. I can’t leave spray bottles out due to the littlest liking to spray them!

38. Megan says:

I agree with the Clinique eye pencil, but get the kind that needs to be sharpened. I have one and it doesn’t smudge much at all, and I rub my eyes all the time (darn allergies).

39. GiBee says:

You know… I’m wondering the exact same thing about the spray bottle, and I’m surprised you haven’t sewn (sp?) something for it!
    As for the eyeliner … Mary Kay has the best eyeliner. It does NOT smudge, and stays on all day long. I’ve tested just about everything out in the market and found this one to be the best. I use the Sable (which is now “Dark Brown”) and love it.

40. Melissa says:

clinique all the way! they have this kind that is easy to apply too-not the self-sharpening kind. i love all of their products, eye liner included!!

41. Jill (CDPJ) says:

I really like Origins eyeliner. I’ve never noticed that it smudges much and it doesn’t have a lot of the artificial junk other eyeliners do (which is vital for me because I have sensitive eyes).
    They only suggestion I have for your second question is very unoriginal — get a cute basket to set on the counter or something. I have them all over my kitchen to keep things handy but hidden.
    And… I turned your WFMW logo backwards for the occasion… if you want to use it today, I can send it to you. Just let me know:

42. Shalee says:

Since you have actually spent time with me and realize that makeup and I don’t really have a solid relationship, more of a topsy-turvy run-in now and then, I will refrain from pretending that I know a thing about it.
    As for the sprays, I suggest that since you’re remodeling your kitchen anyway, you could build in some cool pullout spray nozzles all around the kitchen. Or maybe not.
    Go with the cute bottles that are color-coated to your kitchen. But for heaven’s sake, remember what you put in them!

43. Teresa says:

Oops! I didn’t put the comment in the right place for #177, so it didn’t appear. I re-did it correctly for #179. Sorry about that!

44. Stacey says:

Okay, I didn’t read any of the other comments yet. I think I’ll need like 2 hours to go through this WFMW post!!
    I will tell you what I do for my all-purpose cleaner. First off, I use only Method brand – they work just as well (if not better imho) than all the others I have tried (409 included) and you don’t need a mask to use them! Also, they come in nicely-shaped clear bottles with very attractive colored liquid inside. You could display it as it, but here’s what I do: I soak the bottle overnight to get the label off and then I simply tie a coordinating color ribbon around the middle of the bottle (below where your trigger hand will hit). Voila – a BEAUTIFUL cleaning supply bottle full of safe-for-you-and-the-environment goodness!!!
    As for the eyeliner – can’t help you there, I am on the brink of a sharpie as well! Looks like I’ll be reading your commenters to get some tips!

45. MommyK says:

Sometimes, in place of eyeliner, I use eyeshadow. Wet the tip of the sponge applicator, then dip it in eyeshadow. Apply to your lash line as if you were using eye liner. I’ve had excellent results with this method, and it also blends better than a harsh pencil line.
    As for the cleaner…you could switch to a nontoxic cleaner like 7th Generation or make your own vinegar cleaner, and store it in a cute squirt bottle. I have one for misting plants I got at the garden dept in Walmart. Just label what’s in the bottle for safety reasons!
    I love this feature!

46. MooBeeMa says:

I have friends who had their eyeliner tattooed onto their eyes and they always look stunning! I don’t wear eyeliner but would love to find a smudgeproof mascara someday!

47. Cris says:

For the eye liner I use Avon’s Glimmersticks. They are only @6 bucks and they work great for me! Now, be careful they have different eyeliners and I don’t like their other ones, only the Glimmersticks.
    You’re on your own with the 409. I would say, buy a glass spritz bottle and paint it yourself.

48. Ruth says:

Hi Shannon, just dropping by and wanted to comment. I can’t help much with the eyeliner, I wear cover girl eyeliner, becasue it goes on well, but by the end of the day it has smudged all around my eyes. But, I do know someone who actually had eyeliner tatooed onto her eyes πŸ™‚ I guess its one less thing she has to do in the morning!

49. MsRebecca says:

Ok Ok Ok.. Seriously, I have resulted in blackest black sharpie [kidding] I don’t wear eyeliner anymore due to looking like I have been crying by the end of the day..
    My son is addicted to [spraying] anything he can get his trigger finger hands on.. I’m looking for a way to camoflauge the bottles actually..[“Mom!, Brandon sprayed out all my melon maddness again!”] *sigh*
    Sorry, my suggestions sucked 😦

50. Amyswandering says:

I’m a Mary Kay user too. It’s not perfect, but better than anything else I’ve tried. It’s a decent price, lasts a long time, and won’t give you raccoon eyes.

51. andrea says:

I usually use Mary Kay eyeliner and have never really had a problem with smudging, but it does wear off if you touch your eyes alot. However, liquid eyeliner is making a comeback. I bought some from E.L.F. last week and if you can get it on straight (which takes practice!) it does not smear or come off until you wash it off. Good luck! πŸ™‚

52. T with Honey says:

Spray bottle: Method had some cute spray bottles of counter cleaner last holiday season. The bottles were made with solid colored perl-like looking plastic. I picked up the green one and it looks kinda cute sitting there on the counter.
    Eyeliner: I asked Kristen the Shoe Addict this question last week via email and she recommended the Make Up For Ever line. I have placed my order but haven’t tried it yet. Should I let you know how it works once my package arrives?

53. Jennifer says:

I don’t like looking at 409 bottles either, and I hate having to fish under the sink (with the childproof locks of course) to get it every time I need it. I bought a set of those pretty, fabric lined baskets at Joann fabrics when they were 50% off and have them on top of my refrigerator and on the counters… I use one of them by the sink to hold my 409, my fit vegetable wash, and my dish soap. You can still “see” the 409, but it looks so cute sitting in a pretty little basket. πŸ™‚

54. Carrie says:

I’m ditto’ing everyone on the cutesy spray bottles and the tattoo’ing eyeliner…that’s my next plan…I love a thick black eyeliner and all the places that do permanent cosmetics do a better job than I do on my own anyway..>LOL!

55. Jendi says:

Have you seen the cute little aprons they make for dishwashing soap bottles? Maybe you could make something like that for the 409 bottle.

56. Angela says:

This is a fantastic idea (backwards day)! I love the idea of getting to ask for help now too. Anyway I’d try to find a cute “water” spray bottle but just make sure that you label it to be careful. Good luck!

57. Tamara Cosby says:

missed the second question so here’s my answer: I have an antique slop bucket (I know that sounds gross but it’s enamel and darling) on my counter and it holds my cleaner, dish soap, vegetable cleaner and I think that’s it…but it’s soo cute! So that works for me.

58. Randall says:

I didn’t read all the comments but I think that putting 409 in a plain spray bottle was said. My mom would wrap the base in fabric and add a little trim that matches the colors in the ktichen with a hot glue gun – then you aren’t looking at plastic.
    Also, I use Cover Girl eyeliner (the kind that twists up and you don’t sharpen). Never had a problem with smearing.
    Hope that helps!

59. anna says:

crap! this is my first time posting a WWFMW and I forgot to add what my post was about when I linked it. well, I’m #237 and I’m needing serious help with finding a pumpkin recipe. I want to use the guts instead of the canned stuff. any help out there?

60. New Diva on the Blog says:

I like telescopic liquid eyeliner by L’Oreal. I got it as a freebie with a mascara, but find in works pretty well.
    Method products aren’t too bad looking the way they are, not real helpful on this one, sorry!

61. New Diva on the Blog says:

62. Pink Jeweled Cat says:

Uhm, yeah. I had already posted my WFMW post when I came and read your backwards day post. So I’m afraid I didn’t follow the theme. *cries* I hope that’s ok. Ta for now dahling!

63. Jes says:

I have to admit I’m loving this WFMW!! I think you should do a backwards WFMW once a month! I have so many more questions!!!

64. Christine says:

At the risk of sounding redundant, I heart Sharpie. I have used it for many many years and it has always been good to me – hope you find peace with your eyeliner choice πŸ˜‰

65. Ornery's Wife says:

Eye shadow and a slanted brush for eye liner, but I rarely wear it since it all makes my eyes itch and scratching them makes it smudge. Have several friends who had the tattoo thing done, and love it. But definitely NO to the sharpie!
    Lots of great ideas for the spray bottle; I will look for the method product next time I am in the market!
    TM

66. Christal says:

I’ve used Covergirl(the red eyeliner pencil) for like 25 years. YIKES! It’s not *indelibly* smudgeproof, but it was better than anything else I’ve used, including higher-priced brands like Revlon, Almay, etc. Plus it’s cheap and lasts a long time(you get 2 in each package.)It’s also waterproof. I don’t think I’ll ever switch. I haven’t tried Mary Kay, but honestly, I’ve never found a match to CoverGirl.
    ~C

67. Cherie says:

I recently had my liners tattooed after 45 years of trying make-up. It was done by a wonderful aesthetician using the manual method, is a nice reasonably thin line, and it stays. I look good after a nap, when I wake up (which says a lot!) and even if ill. I waited too long to do this. I’m pretty fair and my eyes fade away – but not anymore!

68. Jenifer says:

I think someone mentioned a metal spray bottle? You could tie a ribbon or a scrap of material around the neck of the bottle. (Not sure if it would stay on or get wet.) I’m thinking a black and white check for fall, red and white for Christmas,etc…
    (I have a Method bottle on my counter)
    I use Revelon Colorstay eyeliner and Almay i color (i no u luv the kute wording!). They both stay on for me but my skin tends to be dry.

69. mostlytruth says:

thanks for the WFMW! I have NO idea how to make spray bottles more attractive–unless you transfer to some nifty purchased bottle that matches your decor (just make sure it is properly labeled?!). That might look cute!!
    As for eyeliner, I am the world’s worst makeup adviser!

70. Louise says:

I LOVED this WFMW! Instead of getting just one tip per link, I got to read several or even DOZENS of solutions for each person’s dilemma.
    I also participated more: I commented on more blogs and even put up my own WFMW post. All in all, a real pleasure.
    I hope you’ll do a “reverse” again.

71. Jennifer says:

I didn’t read all the comments, but have you ever tried an eye primer? Its like a foundation for your eye makeup, do it first, then your eye makeup, and then put your transcluecent powder over the top to set it.
    If that doesn’t work, tattoos are about all that is left.

72. tish says:

I found the best eyeliner last week – sold at regular stores… Almay makes a “long lasting” eyeliner and it WORKS. I only use Almay because I have itchy eyes (allergies) and I was forever rubbing off my eyeliner! But a little searching and I found the long lasting type (white tube) at Walmart for $7. I LOVE it. It does not smudge or come off during the day – but washes off nicely. Give it a try!!!
    Cleaner bottles … I have the Fantastic bottle on my counter … Only one gem from me today!

73. Joo says:

Eyeliner: I have the same problem but it doesn’t look sexy and smoky when it smudges – it looks messy and unkempt. I haven’t tried some of the products mentioned above (though I’d be inclined to try Mary Kay as I love their stuff) but I have had success using a Q-tip and some pressed powder to set the eyeliner.
    Cleaner: I have a huge vase in my kitchen that my cleaner fits right into to hide it. It doesn’t always make it there but I’m sure you’re more diligent about aesthetics than me!

74. Shannon says:

Eyeliner… Fool proof solution is dry eyeliner. MAC makes a great powder liner that you use with a fine slanted brush. Get your brush a little wet, apply it to the black powder, then your eyes and it really stays on.
    Happy application!

75. angela says:

I can’t help with the make-up, though I have a stick of Cover Girl eyeliner I wear on special occassions, and haven’t had any smears with.
    I mix up a batch of 1 part white vinegar to 2 parts water in a spray bottle and keep it on the counter by the sink. I wrote “White Vinegar Water” (exciting I know!) in a pretty color of Sharpie pen. πŸ™‚ You remind me I want to make it prettier. I have thought of decorating it with fabric, but maybe a stip of pretty contact paper around the middle would work better or paint (I have a glass soon-to-be-painted bottle for dish soap). There’s my tiny bit of “help”. πŸ˜‰ It sounds like I need help prettying up my bottle.

76. Alicia says:

My mother-in-law has some spray bottles with a push (instead of trigger) pump that she wrapped in patterned contact paper to coordinate with the room it is used in.

77. Elizabeth says:

I didn’t see that anyone mentioned to stop using eyeliner. I mean, how many minutes would that free up in your year?? Imagine the money you’d save, too? You could probably take a family trip, like, to McDonald’s.
    Another time-saving idea: However many toe-touches you do in your morning workout routine, reduce by the number of times you bent over to get the 409 out of the cabinet under the sink the day before. That way every time you are bending under the sink you are actually multi-tasking! You could probably then increase the length of your afternoon nap by several minutes.
    Makes me want to start lining my eyes and cleaning my kitchen so I can stop and save time!!

78. Kellye says:

I too have smudgy eye liner problems. I switched to Loreal’s liquid eyeliner in Dark Brown. Stays on great. Today I was at CVS and on the aisle with the plastic hangers, they had brushed stainless steel spray bottles. (In silver or blue) Maybe the silver matches your appliances.

79. Jen says:

Is this another personal page for you Shannon? I saw it mentioned on your ever-entertaining Mama Diaries…
    Here are my two cents, for what they’re worth:
    1. I use Rimmel Exaggerate eyeliner, and apply it after eyeshadow is on, and it stays alright – I’m an eyeliner perfectionist though, so when other girls are reapplying lipstick (which I don’t wear), I’m touching up my eyeliner. On special nights, I go the extra mile and apply a black matte (Loreal has a good one) eyeshadow over the black eyeliner, with a slightly damp, very tiny, slanted brush. Sound too complicated? It is. You’re gorgeous enough. Don’t worry about eyeliner.
    2. Have you seen how people put their Dawn or preferred brand of dish washing liquid in a clear glass oil/vinegar type container…? Must your 409 spray, or could you pour a little onto the counter and spread with a paper towel or cleaning rag from there? You could get a matching set of oil/vinegar bottles and then your dishwashing liquid and counter cleaner would be coordinated. I doubt Emerson would be too drawn to it, unless you get bottles with brightly colored flowers or little ladybugs or something. But then again, your baby girl DOES like cell phones and computers…

80. Heather says:

Mrs. Meyers counter top spray comes in a cutesy bottle and it smells wonderful! I like it just as well as 409 for most of my counter top cleaning.