How Cute Are These?

I was flipping through Good Housekeeping this week, and I saw that they highlighted this little series of books by Dover Publications.  These classic books are all paperback, they all have these chic vintage covers, and (be still my heart!) they’re all only $3 each.  I want them all!

Dpageofinnocence_2

Dpbeowulf_2

Dpemma

Dpmysteriousstranger_2

MUST. STOP. WITH. THE. PICTURES.  But don’t you just love Elizabeth Barrett Browning?

Dpebb

Dphardysselectedpoems

Love this next one–Tennyson is my favorite poet.  I wanted to name one of our sons Tennyson, until Hubs pointed out he’d be called "Tennis" for short:

Dptennyson

Really.  This is the last one.

Dpgungadin

36 thoughts on “How Cute Are These?

1. Prisca says:

I used to work at a bookstore and those Dover books are a hoot. We had a customer once who bought one each as favors for his wedding guests. I loved it! Classic lit. and poetry is indeed an awesome gift.

2. Jennifer, Snapshot says:

I agree that a cute book might get me to buy it just because it’s cute. Cheap really doesn’t hurt either.
    My senior year in high school, we did this whole big project on Beowolf. My best friend and I thought we were so clever when we called each other Hjennifer and Hmary. I don’t get to trot out that little joke very often.

3. Cris says:

They are just TOO Cute. I have to add them to the list. Plus, I haven’t read all of them and they’ll fit in my purse. Nice. Thanks!

4. Sandy says:

Hey Shannon, funny you mention THIS MONTH’s GH! I mentioned you on my blog today — told readers to check you on on pg. 243 🙂 Also thought you might like to know the “Jellyfish” book that you won will be talked about on Family Life Radio today.
    Happy Friday!
    (Don’t have any Dover books …)

5. Veronica says:

I’ve read a few Dover editions. They are very cheap (ten years ago when they came out they were only a dollar), but in shows in quality. The paper and binding are poor. They don’t withstand much rough use.

6. mopsy says:

So, Veronica, are you saying I shouldn’t read the poems of Tennyson whilst playing smashmouth football?
    😉
    They are pretty, pretty books. I wish Dover made a line of wallpapers and oilcloth bibs.

7. Susanne says:

I’d buy them just for the lovely covers. How nice is that on a bookshelf. Of course, I’d read them all too. ;v)
    Love your pumpkin in the header.

8. Mandy Houk says:

Those are beautiful! I especially like the cover for Gunga Din.
    And, yes, I do love Elizabeth Barrett Browning. My sweet husband gave that book to me (not with that cover, though!)for my birthday a couple of years ago, and I adore it. Even more wonderful, when we had no income last year around my birthday, he looked through the book and found the poem that he felt most deeply for me, and rewrote it for me (switching the nouns and pronouns to make it from man to woman), printed it on a little slip of paper and tied it with a ribbon. Here it is:
    If thou must love me, let it be for nought
    Except for love’s sake only. Do not say
    ‘I love him for his smile–his look–his way
    Of speaking gently–for a trick of thought
    That falls in well with mine, and certes brought
    A sense of pleasant ease on such a day
    For these things in themselves, Beloved, may
    Be changed, or change for thee–and love, so wrought,
    May be unwrought so. Neither love me for
    Thine own dear pity’s wiping my cheeks dry,
    A creature might forget to weep, who bore
    Thy comfort long, and lose thy love, thereby!
    But love me for love’s sake, that evermore
    Thou mayst love on, through love’s eternity.

9. Brandi says:

Looks like you need to read Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix first!! Did you already see the movie?? Well, the book is great just as all the other HP’s are!! Hope you enjoy it once you have time to read it. How did you keep from learning how the series ends, or did you?

10. Michelle at Scribbit says:

I’ve loved the Dover editions for years, and they also make great coloring books for older kids. My pre-teen grew out of the Barbie stuff long ago but Dover had coloring books of Renaissance costumes and things like that that she still loves coloring.

11. Christa @ No End in Site says:

I agree that they’re super cute, but I could never bring myself to buy Beowulf. I had to read that in high school, and though it may have been my maturity level at the time, I remember absolutely hating it. When I saw they’ve made it into a movie, I literally shouted at the TV. My husband couldn’t stop laughing at my strong hatred. The others I’d buy though. 😀

12. Emily says:

These saved my budget in college–when I simply NEEDED to buy a new book, I could get a classic and enjoy it for cheap.
    The paper’s not the best quality, to be certain, but the words are every bit as good! Be careful, though, of some of the English translations of foreign novels. Their translation of Voltaire’s “Candide” is absolutely abysmal–very difficult to read. But for English language works, they can’t be beat.

13. Allison says:

I wish you had posted this about a month ago! I had a TON of those left over from college and I would have sent them all to you… if I hadn’t sold them at my mom’s garage sale. If I find anymore lurking in boxes, I will be sure to let you know!

14. JCK says:

Love, love, LOVE those Vintage patterns!! Books ain’t bad, either.
    Mandy’s post killed me…what a romantic husband.
    Love Elizabeth Barrett Browning.

15. edj says:

Oh Dover books are so fun and cheap! Of course, as others have mentioned, the paper quality reflects the price, but then that price can’t be beat!