Why Can’t All Of Life Be Like a Craft Show?

I spent nearly all of last week painting my kitchen.  And painting.  And then painting some more.  I had paint globs pushed so far up under my fingernails that I think it had entered my bloodstream.  Add to that all the fumes and the sore muscles, and you can imagine that I was a real peach to live with last week.

Thankfully, Melanie knows me well, and she knew my spirits would be greatly boosted by a jaunt to a once-a-year craft show held locally on the grounds of an estate.

(People use the word "estate" loosely these days, but girls, this was an ESTATE.  Tennis courts, greenhouse, guest houses–plural, rolling hills, the whole deal.  It was worth the cost of admission just to see how the other half–or the other .00002%, as it were–lives.)

The day was crisp and all the crafts were crafty.  And the artisans were friendly and not at all put off by the fact that Melanie and I walked from booth to booth whispering too loudly, "We could SO totally make that!"

Only pictures could do the morning justice.

Craftshow1_2

Craftshow2

Craftshow3

Doesn’t that sweet man in the background look so very thrilled that his wife drug him to a crafts show?  My husband doesn’t know it yet, but that will be him in 40 years.

Craftshow4

Corrie pooped out pretty quickly…

Craftshow5

…but thankfully she can always count on Melanie for some fun distraction.

Craftshow6

Evidently mum’s the word.  (Get it?  Mum?  I SLAY me!)  These things were so gigantic I don’t think they would’ve fit in my mini-van.  At $20 a pot, I know they wouldn’t have fit in my budget.

Craftshow7

Boo.

Craftshow8

As we were leaving, we stopped by the pond to let Corrie visit the swans.  Yes, the swans.  These people actually have swans.  Melanie and I agreed that you must surely know you’ve "made it" in the world when you have your very own swans.  Actually, I think Melanie’s exact words were, "Geez, haven’t these people read The Great Gatsby?"

Craftshow9

It was a lovely morning.

38 thoughts on “Why Can’t All Of Life Be Like a Craft Show?

1. Terry says:

Ok. you’re last picture of your daughter is just WONDERFUL!
    That’s the type of picture you frame, or put in a photo contest.

2. chilihead says:

Ooooo! That WAS a fun day. And? Your photo skillz are awesome. I look about 10 lbs thinner. Maybe I just need to carry Corrie around to hide my chubs. 😉

3. Rebecca says:

Looks like a great day! I’ve seen large potted mums going for $8 a pot sold by my local Amish Community. I’ve only seen photos so it’s hard to compare the size but I’ve never heard so much talk about mums since moving out here. (Kentucky, came from California) My hubby would love to have a pond like that someday, his would be filled with fish, not sure how he’d feel about swans.

4. Kelly @ Love Well says:

I don’t normally frequent craft shows, but those pictures made my Monday. What a beautiful place and what a beautiful morning.
    Do you think I can have them deliver a couple of baskets of mums? Because it’s supposed to be cloudy and rainy here all week. I might need some sunny flowers by Friday to get me out of bed.

5. Marie says:

That outfit on your daughter is sooooo cute!!! And her little backpack too. (That is your daughter, right?)
    It’s quite possible that the man is crafty himself. There are manly crafts, like chainsaw sculpture, whittling, wine making, bee-keeping. My dad makes bolo ties. ><

6. GiBee says:

What a sweet picture of Corrie (the one where she’s pooped out)!
    Adorable outfit!
    Sigh… makes me want a baby girl!
    Any information on the vendor of the second picture? I assume it’s metal garden art?

7. Karen says:

Lovely pictures. I really like those humongo mums. It looks like it was the perfect Fall afternoon.
    Love Corrie’s outfit. I just made one like it for Spicey last week. Let me know if you need another one. 🙂

8. JCK says:

This looks like the perfect fall getaway. Thanks for all the pictures. Just remember…all those swans?? Lots and lots and LOTS of SWAN POOP!

9. Shalee says:

Sounds as if the three of you had a great outing, even if one of you pooped out pretty quickly.
    And tell Melanie that she is a SKINNY MINNIE! She looks awfully good.

10. Heidi says:

A craft fair would make me feel better. I am going to make a t-shirt that says, “I could make that!” Because I so say that all the time and then cringe because I know how awful that sounds. Oh, well. Bygones.

11. Mitch McDad says:

Hi. Just stumbled by.
    This is exactly the kind of thing my wife would drag, I’m mean, bring me to.
    I guess I’d be drooling over the Jelly too.
    Take care,
    ~Mitch

12. jenn says:

craft show is a fun alternative to musical. i always wonder what life would be like if it was a musical….what if we put the two together. now that would be fun ;O)

13. Jen says:

Hi. I’m a long-time lurker, first-time commenter. I thoroughly enjoy your blog by the by, thank you for sharing with all of us. What I did want to share has absolutely nothing to do with this post, but my e-mail wouldn’t work through your link. >.<
    My comment has to do with the post about silhouettes. I saw this cool trick in Martha Stewart for doing your own. Take pictures of your kids, facing sideways of course, color in the picture with black sharpie, white out the rest of it, photocopy the blacked out photo and frame. Anywho, neat, cheap trick that I thought you'd enjoy.