Women Are From Venus, Men Are From Earl

Last week, as we drove for hours across the wide open spaces of the Oklahoma prairie, I glanced over to catch a look at the profile of my husband.  His strong hands gripped the steering wheel, and his furrowed brow glanced back and forth between the highway and the screen of our dashboard navigational system

I settled back into my seat with a sigh of contentment, and I began to think Deep Thoughts About The State Of My Marriage.  What a manly man I have!  He’s just as comfortable behind an Excel spreadsheet as he is behind a campfire.  He takes such good care of us.  He never complains.

And, certain that my good man must be thinking Equally Profound And Loving Thoughts, I spoke his name.

Me:  Hubs?

Hubs: [Absently] Hmmmm?

Me:  You know, one of the things I love most about you is that you’re just uncomplicated.  I mean, you just make a decision and stick with it–you don’t overanalyze and fret and make things as messy as I do.  And I love that about you, so much.  [I reached over and gently rubbed his neck.]  Don’t you agree?  Wouldn’t you say you’re uncomplicated?

Hubs:  [Thoughtful pause.]  Earl.

Me:  Pardon?

Hubs: [Pointing at the nav system and chuckling in way that was entirely too reminiscent of a junior-high boy.]  Earl.  We’re about to drive through a town called Earl.

Uncomplicated?  I rest my case.

32 thoughts on “Women Are From Venus, Men Are From Earl

1. tanyetta says:

That is so sweet. Funny you had this talk with your hunny. I had a similar one with mine.
    During the fires (last week) I was totally freaking out and he made a list and said if and when we have to evacuate, this is what we’re going to take and we’re going to LEAVE immediately.
    Meanwhile, I’m the one to run around frantically with my wig on backwards just acting up tremendously.
    I thanked him for always bringing to light that he’s way cooler than I am anyday πŸ™‚
    Thank goodness opposites attract πŸ™‚

2. Sandy says:

Oh, so true. My hubby and I have often had this conversation … how uncomplicated men are. Easy, steady, strong … I just love my husband πŸ™‚
    Thanks!

3. Emily says:

Oh that’s too perfect. Why is it when you finally stop and think deeply about your relationship and say something profound they are usually not giving you 100% of their attention? But if you’re having a meaningless conversation they’re all into it. Must be some way the man brain works *sigh* Can’t live with ’em and can’t live without ’em!

4. Grace says:

Wow, uncomplicated? That must be nice – my husband is WAY more complicated than I am – or at least just as much.
    I know where Earl, Oklahoma is!! LOL Gotta love our little Okie town names.

5. Jenn says:

Bahahahaha! this one made me laugh out loud today because I can SO relate…
    …only it would likely be me chuckling at a place called Earl.
    Have a fun weekend with the Big and the Boo!

6. Liz C says:

We call those “Elevator Music Moments”… It took me a long time to realize that when I ask DH what’s on his mind, and he says “Nothing,” he really does mean it. Put your head up to his head, and you hear elevator music. “Da da doo dood doo da da…”
    I love it.

7. Brandie says:

I recently had a similar conversation with my husband. He responded: “How many of those bricks do you think we could fit in our car?”
    I love him so.

8. Stacey says:

I really enjoyed this post—
    Men are like sign posts,
    we need them, to see them
    and to read them, they don’t change much,(‘cept maybe to rust?)
    but without them,
    we might end up …stuck in Earl!
    I am still laughing!
    Thanks I needed to laugh!