Degrees of Separation

Yes, it really is true–John Denver was my step-second-cousin-in-law.  And I know what you’re thinking–that’s just so intimate he was practically my brother.  If you’d like me to break it down further, he was the nephew of my husband’s step-grandmother.  (Which has, I’m sure, cleared things up greatly).

Sadly, I never got to meet him.  Because I have always loved his music, and it would be a very good blog post right at this moment.

I’m actually quite short on anything resembling a claim to fame.  There was the time a three-year-old Chelsea Clinton took a nap in my bed, and my brother-in-law is the personal chef to the governor of A State Which Shall Remain Unnamed.  And when Hubs and I lived in Chicago, we once met Michael Jordan in oncoming traffic.

Also, Reese Witherspoon doesn’t know it, but if we ever did meet we’d be fast friends. But I don’t think that one counts.

That’s pretty much it for me.  But I have a hunch many of you have much better stories.  Tell me, in the comments section (or write about it on your own blog and leave a link)!

Posted in: Fun

139 thoughts on “Degrees of Separation

1. bee says:

No famous family, but I met Jane Seymour and she’s absolutely stunning!
    I’m totally giving away my age, but I met more than one New Kid On The Block.
    Also, in college, I totally stalked the guy who is now married to Melissa Joan Hart.
    Ok, the last two appear a bit more embarrassing now that I’ve typed them, but what the heck… 🙂

2. Mommy Cracked says:

Here’s one about my dad…he used to sit next to this really quiet boy in a class when he was in junior high. Turns out, that quiet boy went on to write Silence of the Lambs!! EEEK!!!
    I used to babysit the boy who played the young version of Gene Hackman’s son (Eddie) in a flashback scene in the movie The Chamber.

3. Brandy says:

Think this is my first time commenting … but I’ve been reading for quite awhile.
    I said hello to Kirk Gibson (baseball) when I was a kid. Got to meet Misty Freeman (very nice, down-to-earth Christan music artist) and Todd Agnew.
    And somehow I was once distantly related to Billy Ray Cyrus. Don’t remember how now though.

4. susan says:

No famous family w/ exception of a deceased Midwest sculptor who specialized in western/Indian themes.
    Did however take voice lessons for years from the gentleman who played the young man Rolf in “The Sound of Music.” He was blond in the movie but in real life – jet black hair!

5. Georgia Mom says:

I don’t believe I have any famous relatives, but I’ve met a lot of famous people. My Mom use to staff the civic center where we lived, so I got to go backstage and meet everyone from Rick Springfield to Joan Jett to the Hee Haw band. Can you guess what decade that was in?
    And the decade after that my Dad managed a professional racing team. That’s when I got to meet Tom Cruise (he’s short and I was very unimpressed), Paul Newman (he is also tiny, but those blue eyes are shocking!), Robert Hayes (the guy from the Airplane movies), Bruce Jenner, Bobby Carradine (he was from the movie Revenge of the Nerds, but more known lately for Lizzie McGuire. Bobby actually raced the same team my Dad worked for, so I actually knew him pretty well. We don’t keep in touch and that just crushes me :o). Okay, I could go on and on, but I’ve taken up more than my fair share of time! But, I the only other one I’ll mention is I am friends with the lead singer of Third Day and his wife. They are just as awesome as you would hope they would be!!!
    Times up!

6. Jerri says:

Ok, nothing really impressive here along the lines of claims to fame. However, my dad’s second cousin is Nellie Fox (through marriage) and I ran into (literally) Randy Johnson while shopping, and bunked with a girl at summer camp, who did a voice over in All Dogs Go to Heaven.

7. Beth/Mom2TwoVikings says:

Does this count? My Vikings (through DaHubby) are related to a famous Finnish mathematician (think NUMB3RS LOL) who solved a long-standing problem related to space and gravity. There’s also a moon crater named after him (with our last name).
    As for me, graduated from college in the same program with Dr. Wayne Dyer’s daughter. And, the girl down the hall from us in the dorm is now a sportcaster for Detroit Fox Sports station.
    Met former President Ford at the U of Michigan when they retired his football jersey number.
    Was taken with other Detroit-area high school “journalists” to the Pontiac Silverdome to “interview” Bill Lambier of the Detroit Pistons.

8. Melissa says:

I met Glenn Close once at a college function (she is an alumni of William and Mary). I received an autographed photo of Amy Grant for reviewing her book: Mosaic. I have a picture of my mom posing with Kenny Rogers’ cousin Roy (they look very much alike – we were at a Kenny Rogers concert and he was in the audience).
    I have Johnny Depp on by desktop:)

9. girlymama says:

Growing up on the OC, I went to school with some child actors – one from Punky Brewster, one from Just the Ten of Us.
    I met Danny Devito and Rhea Perlman at Disneyland. (He’s really tiny!) I also met Sonny Bono (also tiny, ironically.) Apparently I only meet tiny famous people.
    I’ve seen some famous people passing on the street, but didn’t get to meet them… Laura Bush, Bob Dole, Jeff Daniels.
    My husband went to school with Donald Trump Jr, though. I always thought that was hilarious 😉

10. MamaArcher says:

I met Ellen Crawford this past summer, (among other things she played Nurse Lydia Wright on ER). I met her at, of all places, the laundromat in Spokane, Washington! She and her husband are amazingly nice people! Her hubby even sang to my baby!
    I did also shake Jesse Jackson’s hand in highschool. (EWWWW!)
    We are old friends of Mitch Rayborn. (christian music recording artist)
    We have also hung out with Josh Holleran one weekend. (christian music recording artist)
    I have spoken with Kim Boyce. (christian music recording artist)
    Hubby has met the San Antonio Spurs and was able to watch a game between them (in wheel chairs) with the amputees from Iraq. He said it was pretty amuzing!
    Hubby also got to sit on stage behing Dick Cheney when he came and spoke at one of the bases we were stationed at once.

11. Donna says:

I played piano for Charles Billingsly before he hit is big and during that same time my dear hubby (before we met) was in college classes with him.
    I have shaken Dan Quayle’s hand. Me and a friend were trying to get an autograph by Garth Brooks (who never came out) but his opening act had come out and was very nice to us and let us take pictures – Martina McBride.
    Dear Hubby has also had dinner with Adrian Rogers and his wife. I know this is not important to some but huge in the baptist circles.

12. Kristin says:

I served as Evel Knievel’s personal assistant during a celebrity golf tournament. (Yep, weird.) I went to college with Michael Rosenbaum (Lex Luthor in Smallville.) He’s a very talented guy.

13. Jesse says:

Ok, here’s where I get to be the “famous” one then – My mother’s grandmother was sister to Ron Howard’s grandfather. (Yes, that would be Ron Howard the actor/director) Now, I’ve never met him, but my uncle (the oldest of my mom’s 7 siblings – my mom is next to youngest, and she’s only 46, so my uncle is in like his late 50s or something, possibly early 60s) HAS met him, when they were younger I guess there was a time when they had a reunion or something and SUPPOSEDLY he gave Mr. Howard a black eye over something smart-alek said to him.
    Let’s see…oh yes, and my grandfather was given the opportunity to invest in Sam Walton (of Wal-Mart fame), but didn’t because he seemed “too risky”. *sigh*
    And while it’s not something I want to be “famous” for, I am friends with a gal who was (luckily!) late to breakfast in Iraq when that famous dining hall was blown up – they lost 3 of their people at that unfortunate event. She was lucky enough to make it home safely.
    But…I don’t consider myself “famous” by any means, though the Ron Howard thing IS pretty cool. *grin*

14. Tammy says:

My 6th cousins are the Dionne Quintuplets.Madonna’s grandmother was the oldest daughter in the family .
    When I was 10 I shook Ted Kennedy’s hand.
    Also when we lived in Iceland (1985-1987)I had my picture taken with Zach Galligan-he is from the movie Gremlins.
    My nephew and his wife in Orlando,Florida bought a house right next to the parents of Scott Porter-he plays Jason Street on Friday Night Lights.Over the July 4th holiday they got to meet him!

15. Staci at Writing and Living says:

Barbara Mandrell’s mother is from my hometown.
    My aunt lived down the street from the drummer for ZZ Top. Is that how you spell ZZ Top? One word, or two? Or three? Too lazy to Google.
    Anyway, that’s my brush with fame.

16. Happy Momma says:

Hunny’s mom is a CLOSE relative to Johnny Cash, though that doesn’t look well on a SB preachers family ;).
    Hubby was at a certain someones inaguration for his first term.
    When Lady Bird Johnson died, I took the girls to the viewing, and their youngest daughter Lucy hugged my girls.
    Barbara Bush and I share the same birthday and when I was younger I wrote her in the White House to see if she would let us celebrate together (I was bold even back then) ;).
    My brother-in-law’s cousin will be marrying a certain first lady sooner rather than later…..so does related by marriage count?
    That is about as close as anything for my side of the family!

17. Rebekah says:

The closest I have come is meeting and hanging out with some christian bands: Insyderz, MxPx, Five Iron Frenzy, etc.
    I was at a five iron concert once and waiting for an opening band to finish (i wasn’t a fan lol) I was sitting in the lobby and met a pregnant lady who i talked with for a while, and her husband came out, turns out he’s the guy who does alot of the music for veggie tales.
    I saw Oprah once. not so great w/o the makeup.
    My mom and I saw Gallagher at a Perkins in Wisconsin.
    I met a famous basketball player, but I was little and cant recall who it was right now.
    My grandfather worked with Jimmy Hoffa, and later against him.
    My other grandfather (a surgical tech at the time) was on a hospital ship hit by a kamikaze.
    Nothing too exciting, but those are my brushes with greatness.

18. April says:

No one in my family – but a few old friends I do have:
    the John Waller you just saw in concert went to college with me and sang at our Campus Outreach meetings. such a great guy!
    Jill Arrington you see on tv doing football commentary – we were high school cheerleaders together and she was beautiful back then too. (If you don’t know who she is, just ask any male and I’m sure they can tell you)
    Holly Hunter also went to my high school (even though she is older than me).
    That’s enough.

19. Heather says:

My FIL went to high school with Richard Gere. And “Dick” (as he was called then) was a featherweight and has really ggeky high school photos just like the rest of us!

20. Megan says:

Well… I know Charlie Peacock and Andi Ashworth. We stayed with them a couple of times and the first time we were looking at pictures around the house and saw one in which Bono was sitting in their living room. Where we were standing. And I was like, “HEY! I’m standing in the same spot that Bono did! And we might have even slept in the same room he did!!” On that same trip we went to Michael Card’s house, visited with him for a couple of hours and saw his horses and stuff.
    That’s fame, right?
    I also have cousins who were on an episode of wife swap last year.
    That’s about as close as I get.

21. mombo says:

I worked for, traveled with, and enjoyed board games with Lisa Whelchel. I’m somehow distantly related to Bill Clinton, unfortunately. That’s about it.

22. Adventures In Babywearing says:

Oh, ha- I just can’t get past your John Denver relation. LOVE HIM. So many memories of my Mom & Dad listening to his Christmas record- the one with “Please Daddy Don’t Get Drunk This Christmas” … I can’t believe they let me listen to that! : )
    Steph

23. Sarah Williams says:

Hubs used to play in the NFL, so I have met a lot of famous people that way…athletes mostly. My best friend in college….her dad is a very famous retired NFL player. Because that was Hubs’ job, i dont really consider that meeting famous people….because at the time, they were just co-workers.
    I have met Paul Rudd (Phoebe’s husband on Friends, Josh in Clueless).
    Brad Pitt and I are from the same hometown, though he is older than me. And I have never met him.
    Hubs has met Pres Bush and former Pres Clinton, which is cool by association.
    I saw Whoopi Goldberg in an airport, which is weird because I heard she does not fly?
    I have some others but i think that list is long enough.
    Oh…and Reese and I would also totally be best friends if we met, as well! LOL

24. Erin says:

I was in Nashville hanging out in an art gallery. I struck up a conversation with an old man there about being a photographer. I was in school at the time and he was seasoned. He said he would display some of my work there if I wanted him to; it was his wife’s gallery. He proceeded to show me some of his work…turned out he was Cecil Stoughton the official White House photographer during JFK’s term. Also he photographed Marilyn Monroe as well as other famous people during that time.
    Also when I was in high school I was in show choir. We performed at Disney World on the Tomorrowland Stage. Backstage we rehearsed with the girl who did the voice of Arial in The Little Mermaid. Also we got to go underground where they really do have a whole town practically. We were given strict instuctrions not to look around!
    Oh and my teacher in school graduated with Brian Warner aka Marilyn Manson. Scary!!!

25. jessica says:

I had dinner with Paula Abdul on my 21st birthday. Sat right next to her.
    Also, worked a dance clinic with Cris Judd (J-Lo’s ex). He was really nice!
    And introduced Al Gore at the Fancy Farm Picnic in Ky. Not a big fan of his but he was nice.

26. Karla ~ Looking Towards Heaven says:

I was pulled up on stage at a Chris Isak concert and got to dance with him (why couldn’t it have turned out like it did for Courtney Cox…)
    I’m related to Francis Scott Key.
    Was in Georgetown one night and ran into Cybil Sheppard and Robert Downey Jr. when they were filming a movie.
    Saw lots of famous people when we lived in Las Vegas… gah…
    Our pastor is a well-known author.
    I worked at a huge law firm in DC and was legal assistant to several well known attorneys, who I often see on tv as legal consultants.
    One of the attorneys went to the White House once a week to have lunch with his buddy Bill…
    Another one of those attorneys was John Roberts (Supreme Court Justice) and he is truly a lovely man.
    There are several more (I’ve just managed to live in some famous people populated places)

27. MorningSong says:

My Dad’s mother is the (I am unsure of exactly how many greats at this moment.) great grand-daughter of John Quincy Adams!! Two former presidents are family to me! 🙂

28. Nicki says:

In high school, I was friends with one of Meryl Streep’s nephews. So, the way that I look at it…
    1. I was friends with ******.
    2. ****** was the nephew of Meryl Streep.
    3. and, Meryl Streep was in the movie The River Wild with Kevin Bacon.
    That means that I have a Bacon number of 3. 🙂

29. Linda says:

I once went to a lecture given by Edward James Olmos
    My best friend from high school’s dad was secret service detail to Lady Bird Johnson.
    He sat right behind, I think behind, Clinton.
    So I guess thats within 6 degrees huh.
    My dh met the dad from poltergist. Forgot his name. Also, in Coach.
    My bil worked for a security company that was hired by one of the spurs to watch his home being built. I think it was Tim Duncan. He said he was nice but future wife was not very nice. Don’t know for sure though.
    Thats all that I can remember. But with my memory, I might have met the cast from from ER or Friends or the office and would not have the foggiest. Just kidding, almost.

30. amy says:

My whole family is from Lubbock… my Great- great grandfather was actually one of the founders of Lubbock county. Sooo… my aunt went to Texas Tech during the same yrs as John Denver and she remembers him (before he was famous) playing his guitar alone outside on campus (and being heckled). ALSO, my Great-grandmother was best friends with Buddy Holly’s mother. I enjoy hearing stories about their friendship from time to time.

31. Nancy Brandt says:

I worked one summer at a Summer Stock theater as the PR intern. I met Lauren Tewes (Julie from Love Boat). She actually leaned in the passenger side of my car to talk to me and TOUCHED THE DOOR!
    I also kinda met (not actually spoke to but was working backstage of the theater while they were working on stage) Shelley Winters, Cloris Leachman and John Raitt.
    Now that I’m a romance author, I’ve met and talked to Nora Roberts, Eloisa James (she bought my book!), Alesia Holliday (she sent my daughter free books), Shirley Hailstock and scores of others.
    My mother handed Ed Sullivan his new granddaughter when she was a nurse.
    My dad met Bob Hope on one of his trips to visit the troops overseas.

32. Emily R says:

In high school we went to be in the audience of Circus of the Stars, and a nice guy struck up a conversation with me and it turned out to be Malcolm Jamaal Warner! Yes, Theo Huxtable!
    I’m a direct descendant of Mary Stewart, Queen of Scots, and of Jonathan Browning (of the guns) on my dad’s side, and my mom’s people came over on the mayflower.

33. Sarah says:

Oh wow, this is so fun. 🙂 Who doesn’t like to tell their almost-famous stories??
    1) Mark McGwire (homerun baseball hitter) held the door open for me at a Starbucks. I was so shocked I almost fell over.
    2) My brother-in-law is Mrs. Bush’s asst. press secretary, and he has met everyone in the White House and beyond. (Does that count?)
    3) My great-grandfather invented Plexiglas (no joke) and started a now-global chemical company. No one has ever heard of it, though. *sigh*
    4. We are friends with Steven Curtis Chapman and his family. As others have said of the recording artists, they are all super nice and down to earth. I do have some funny stories regarding them, though…
    5. My brother works for Todd Fisher (apparently he’s Debbie Reynolds/ Princess Leia’s brother, but that’s out of my league.)
    Huh. I guess that’s it. (kind of unimpressive now that I think about it. ;)) Oh well!

34. Grace says:

My senior year in high school I won a Horatio Alger Scholarship and got to go to Washington DC to accept it. While there, we met privately with Bob Dole, then speaker of the House, I had lunch with Dr. J, Robert Schuller and his wife, Art Buchwald, Dave Thomas (Wendy’s founder), Famous Amos, and many more.
    My aunt used to work at OSU in the athletic dorm cafeterias. She worked there for about 40 years or more, and fed numerous now-great pro athletes – most of whom she had her photo taken with at one time or another. During the year my brother turned 13 – she arranged for him to have a steak dinner with the football team and receive a signed football from them. Among them were Barry Sanders and Thurman Thomas.

35. lisa says:

Hey, These are sooo much fun to read! My only semi-experience with fame is that Mel Gibson sat behind me in church one Sunday…

36. Chris says:

Remember that show Fame? Remember the blck guy who danced on it?
    Once I was in New York and I watched him cross the street.
    I know, I know. Don’t be too jealous.

37. COMomma says:

This is fun! I kept thinking I have nothing to add…but I do!
    My cousin was nanny to M. Night Shyamalan’s girls (Sixth Sense, The Village) and she met famous people.
    I shook George H. Bush’s hand when in high school. I was in high school, he wasn’t.
    I met, and spoke with, Sue Grafton, author to the mystery series that goes with the alphabet.
    There. Aren’t we ALL impressed? 😉

38. bananas says:

ooh… John Denver is a great sort-of relative to have!!
    I met Marie Osmond when I was little backstage after her concert (my uncle worked in the music biz)
    I worked with Kevin Bacon’s sister
    I passed Julia Roberts on the sidewalk in Manhattan
    And I met YOU at BlogHer! 🙂

39. Liberty says:

My mother-in-law’s best friend’s daughter-in-law dated Matthew McConaughey!
    I LOVE John Denver! Annie’s Song was the main song sang at our wedding.
    LOL about Reese Witherspoon! I LOVE HER!

40. Susanne says:

My sister once followed Kurt Russel around debating with her friend whether it was really him or not. He was in town shooting a movie. You’d think with all the movies they shoot around here we’d run into a lot more celebrities, but they hide out pretty well.
    I went to high school with a few guys that made the NHL.

41. Homemaker05 says:

I could have reached out and touched the girl to played Carol in Growing Pains one day int he grocery store (when I lived in the Los Angeles area). I almost said something about how I love her and she was my favorite all time actress and that her character was my favorite etc, but she was just grocery shopping with her (maybe 10 year old) son, so I decided not to bother her. She is still one of my favorites! And we were shopping on the same eisle, in the same store, in the same town! Ok, maybe I should have gone back… I did try, then I realized I was becoming a grocery store stalker and made myself go home. 🙂

42. Sharon says:

I sat next to poultry mogul Frank Perdue on a commercial flight to NC (coach, no less) back in my young and single days. He chatted me up and asked for my phone number to take me to dinner upon his return to MD. I gave him a fake number on a piece of newspaper, on the grounds that he was older than my grandad. He had an assistant sitting across the aisle, and the guy looked like he was about to jump out of his skin every time Mr. P glanced in his direction. Strange but true…
    Sharon

43. Rebekah says:

You guys reminded me of more. my dad and I met Andie McDowell at jewel (sister store of albertson’s) when she and bill murray were filming groundhog day in my little hometown. She was so nice… “met” ( said hi to got a rude comment back from) Bill Murray as well.
    for Hippa reasons I can’t reveal the name, but I did meet some professional athletes in my job as a nurse. I saw a famous basketball player in a recovery room, a famous football player and another celebrity who had surgery at another hospital. I met the guy who you would only know if you lived in Chicago for like a million years, who says “wanna buy a watch” (howard frum) visiting his friend. he’s a big jeweler guy and it was my first day at work after I got engaged, he took a good look at my ring, made some good guesses as to it’s stats and complimented my now husband’s taste

44. Cindy says:

Fun post! I was interviewed for the show 10 Years Younger. But my moron husband was just so NICE and said the lady looked 35. We didn’t make the cut and didn’t appear on the show. But right after that, we ran into the cast of Amazing Home Makeover (or whatever- Ty Pennington, Preston, etc.)
    I smiled at Phil Koegen, host of Amazing Race in a parking garage.
    Sold t-shirts for Rich Mullins
    Ate one booth away from Heather Locklear
    Went to an elementary basketball game where I saw Kenny G and Pamela Anderson.
    I see John Mellancamp around town now and then. His granddaughter is in the choir I direct.
    So pretty much, with all of these VERY close connections, I’m expecting to be up for an Oscar one of these days.

45. Tricia says:

Yeah, I got nothing.
    Well, except my sister is an up and coming actress and model. She has been in lots of print ads in the DFW area. She was in an ad for a while on the side of the city busses in FT worth, and she has been in a Pilgrim’s Pride, and various other commercials. She is also the Fireman (woman) in an up coming Barney episode.
    She is one of the mom’s explaining how to use the child restraints on the airline’s in-flight film. She is strapping in her son, my nephew.
    I can’t tell you how strange it is to see my sisters face drive by me on a city bus or show up on my TV.
    Interestingly enough, most of her commercials show up on the Hispanic channels and in the Hispanic market as she has a Hispanic look (her dad was Hispanic, we are half sisters technically), and yet, she does not speak a lick of Spanish!
    So there you go, my not quite famous sister is my claim to fame!
    Here is the clip to my sister’s Pilgrim’s Pride commercial. She’s the one who says “Full time Mom’s”.

46. momhuebert says:

Years ago, when I was in junior high, my girlfriend and I bought tickets for a car show (a CAR SHOW!?). We rode the bus by ourselves and stood in line for a very long time, staring at very boring cars, just to meet JOHN TRAVOLTA. My girlfriend and I had hyperventilating crushes on him.
    When my turn came, I stood on the other side of the table from him and looked into his amazing blue eyes. He glanced indifferently at me, scribbled his autograph on a photo for me, and then looked out over the ginormous line behind me. Somehow, ridiculously, I’d hoped I’d make a better impression on him than that. I was instantly cured of my crush. So sad.

47. amy says:

Oh… and in my earlier comment I forgot to tell that I once saw Neal McCoy (country music artist… and I use the term “artist” VERY loosely) coming out of Hastings. He’s from a town around my area… and he’s kind of a jerk. What a plug, huh?

48. Cori says:

Not that I’m proud of this connection but I’m 3rd cousins to Gary Condit, the creepy senator that had the disappearing White House aide a few years ago. My MIL dated Nick Nolte for a couple of years and my husband used to play at Sly Stone’s house when he was a kid in Santa Barbara.
    The famous celebrity sighting I love to tell is that I was kicked out of a McDonald’s in England when I went there on a high school trip. The reason? Princess Di and her boys wanted to eat. Wills and Henry must have been 3 and 5 or so at the time. So tiny and so cute. Of course, Di was as put together and charming to the crowd as she was always reported to be.

49. Leslie says:

From Kindergarten to 5th grade (I moved), I was best friends with Gennifer Goodwin. She plays the youngest wife in HBO’s Big Love and also was in Mona Lisa Smile, Win a date with Tad Hamilton, and the TV show Ed. Her name used to be Jennifer Goodwin. If only we stayed friends….
    When my father was growing up in Memphis, my granddad decided it was time to buy a new house. My granddad found the perfect house and took my dad and his brothers and sisters to go look and play in the house. My dad’s favorite part was the secret passage ways in the house. My family were in negotiations and had a contract when another man came along and offered more money. Do you know who that man was? Elvis…and the house is now better known as Graceland. I don’t think as many people would have come to visit my family 🙂
    I have met Serena Williams…she wasn’t very nice to me.
    My husband talks and jokes with Charles Barkley everytime when he visits our local gym.

50. ames says:

I was in an elevator with Tom Hanks once, but none of us recognized him and my dad had a conversation with him about his Cubs hat. My mom recognized his voice but couldn’t remember his name.
    My uncle made the last couple of batmobiles, I got to sit in one (it’s a racecar chassis).
    And less than 2 weeks ago I ended up chit-chatting with the Attorney General of PA, very surreal.
    Life ain’t nothin’ but a funny funny riddle!

51. BridgeMom says:

Let’s see… I know and used to work with Clay(ton) Aiken. He actually offered to sing at my wedding, but I already had someone else lined up. Wouldn’t that make quite a wedding video! Imagine the Ebay sells… He’s a really nice guy. A little goofy at times, but nice!
    Also, I’ve met all the guys from Third Day (I helped organize a concert on my college campus – they were totally sincere), Darius Rucker (Hootie), Edwin McCain, Keith & Matt from Vertical Horizon, Tom Arnold, Al Rooker, Larry Wilcox (CHIPS).
    I used to know Michael Card (old school Christian music – he wrote El Shaddai). I was BF with his niece and he used to drive
    me to school.

52. Alyson says:

Ok, I gotta join in 🙂
    I’ve met Steven Curtis Chapman, Nichole Nordeman (twice), the Newsboys, and most of the “Women of Faith” team – all in the sort of situation where you wait in a line and get to “meet” them while they give you an autograph and snap a quick picture with you.
    I saw Laurie from Trading Spaces getting out of a cab one time (at a Women of Faith conference) and ran over and she took a picture with me. Later I was standing in line to see about getting our seats changed and Laurie was ahead of me in line – apparantly someone didn’t leave her stuff to get into the arena at will call (she was just there to attend the conference as a guest, not speaking). We chatted in line for a few minutes and she was very sweet.
    My dh and I are distributors for a company that puts on some fun parties. We’ve met several of the Deal or No Deal girls, Jerry Rice, William Hung (the “she-bangs” guy from American Idol – he did a mini-concert for us, LOL!), Jessica Biel (just a quick Hi), and a few others I can’t recall right now. We’ve also been to a couple parties in the Hollywood Hills, and some of their neighbors (we didn’t meet, just had their houses pointed out to us from their backyard terrace) are 2 of the Desparate Housewives and Marilyn Manson – who I guess is seen quite often walking his pit-bulls around the neighborhood.

53. Brandi says:

Well, I don’t know very many famous people either, but I did know John Cooper from the Christian band, Skillet back in my teenage/college days. Don’t know if he would actually remember me though???
    I met Blas Elias, the drummer from Slaughter, on a trip to New York when I was 14. I am sad to say that yes I did actually listen to this band as a teenager.
    Can’t think of anymore at the moment–my belly is telling me it is time to eat!!!

54. Tammy says:

I forgot and remebered after reading some of the comments that I have met Maria Shriver-had my picture taken with her and had my book autographed by her.
    I also went to a Star Trek Convention in Las Vegas and saw many actors there.We got to talk to the cast of Bablyon 5.It is funny to see people in person who you only know because of tv shows.
    Through the years I have met people who are no longer Christian singers but were famous in the 70’s as recording artisst-I can’t think of their names right now.Shows my age!!
    Fun stuff to read!!

55. Lisa says:

Wow best I can do is watching the Canadians I worked with be introduced to Princess Anne! I also sat an arms link from a feared African dictator a few weeks later! Peace Corps–the toughest job you’ll ever love!! Otherwise, I’ve been in the same office suite with George HW Bush when he came to speak at a fundraiser where I worked. We little people were sent upstairs. Senator Lugar, on the other hand, at least agreed to meet some of us! Probably a Secret Service thing….. Oh yes, knew a guy who was an intern or resident on the team that saved President Regan after he was shot!

56. Becky says:

I forgot – I’ve also met Yo-Yo Ma and Mrs. Fields (cookies – she is very nice and looks just like Barbie).

57. Shalee says:

Keith Lancaster and his wife spent the night at our house in the early 80’s.
    I have a picture of myself with Martin Sheen.
    I waited in the same airport pod as Mary McDonnell (who was waiting for her daughter to return from spring break).
    In high school, some friends of mine spotted Tom Cruise, who was in town for the filming of The Firm at the Rendevous during their prom dinner. (He, unbeknownst to them, paid for their entire prom dinner since he didn’t get to do the prom scene.)
    I have several pictures of myself with THE Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, Goofy, Woody, Jessie, Pooh and Donald Duck.
    And in 2000, I saw Ray Charles in the airport in LA… but he didn’t see me.

58. Brandi says:

Oh wait, I remembered one more—
    Okay this is a good one (ha, ha)
    I used to work at a Chiropractor’s office in Collierville, TN with Coco Beware’s wife, Joyce. (He is a famous wrestler) I babysat for them once, too. Maybe I will have to post about my claims to fame as well. I have already done the John Cooper story a while back.

59. Jennifer @Chronicles of a Night Owl says:

What fun to read everyone’s “claims to fame”! Just had to jump in here.
    The only encounters I have are meeting Carman (Christian singer) ages ago – before he was so big. At the time he was doing concerts in churches, and we could walk up to him, talk to him, shake his hand and get his autograph. Too bad I lost it! And I had my picture made with a couple of the guys from 4-Him.
    My mom used to sing with Travis Tritt – they went to church together. I was too young to remember.
    Oh, and my grandparents met Cooter from The Dukes of Hazzard and got his autograph for us!
    That’s all for me!

60. Tammy H says:

There just are not too many famous people roaming the streets of Birmingham – except BooMama, and I haven’t even seen her :). I did watch Bo Jackson play a video game at the A&P when I was little. I now pitiful……….

61. Christine says:

I got nothin.’ But I’m so in awe of your relationship (without quotes! Cause it’s a real relationship!) to JD. I grew up listening to him; my sis was a true fanatic. I remember a shirt she made and embroidered an image of his wire-framed glasses on the front. I will have to ask her what happened to that! And Steph! “Please Daddy…” what a scandalous song that was! I thought it was so sad!

62. Amy Grant Bayliss says:

I am a direct descendant of Pierre Lafitte the brother to the infamous pirate Jean Lafitte.
    “Where are me treasures?” I ask.
    I’ve also met quite a few Christian talents. I was a manager for a Christian band and when they would open up for the bigger bands we usually got to hang out. I’ve also met alot just by attending concerts and such. That is always fun!

63. Susie aka Mayangel523 says:

I can say I met Peter, Paul, and Mary a long, long, time ago. Their bass player was also the bass player for John Denver. My mom and other family friends would play Scrabble with the bass player when we were growing up. That’s how we got backstage.

64. Kiki@Seagulls in the Parking Lot says:

I met Bebo Norman (Christian singer) right before he made it big. He came to my college town and did a free concert, there weren’t many of us there so he chatted with everyone. He was very nice and I hoped he would remember me! I doubt he knew my name.
    I saw LaBron James at Niketown in Chicago. He was surrounded by his possee so we didn’t say anything.
    Nothing very exciting here!

65. Veggiemomof2 says:

I met Sammy Kershaw backstage at a concert.
    I went to the same high school as Bill Bradley, but he’s old enough to be my dad.
    I’ve talked to a few St.Louis Cardinals on the phone through work.
    Hey do all those politicians who call during elections count? LOL

66. Becky says:

You will all be SO jealous….I saw Kato Kalin in Las Vegas. I took a picture and everything! I almost walked up behind him and quietly whispered thump….thump…thump..
    That’s all I’ve got.

67. Anonymous says:

I saw Michael Douglas walking in Beverly Hills. Much shorter than I’d imagine.
    I went to college (William & Mary)in the same class as Patton Oswalt, the comedian who voiced the main rat in Ratatouille. My friend and hallmate had a big crush on him after a little freshman mixer our hall had with his, but I probably never even had a conversation with him. Woo-hoo.

68. Christa @ No End in Site says:

I’m actually embarassed to share this, but thought you all might get a good laugh. I actually physically bumped into Jerry Springer in college. He was in our Media Center preparing to give a speech and I bumped into him on the way to the bathroom. His bodyguards immediately swooped in, but I explained that I just needed to pee. No harm done. Pathetic, but true.

69. CousinJ says:

When I was 8 or 9 I got to meet THE one and only Mr. T. When we lived in New Orleans I saw Camryn Mannheim (I’m sure I’m butchering the spelling of her name) at Best Buy. Oh, and when Matthew Broderick was filming Biloxi Blues we actually saw him playing racquet ball and got his autograph!

70. hazela says:

I once got to have dinner with Big Bird when I was a toy buyer in NZ (he has a holiday home there for trout fishing)
    Lovely guy and quite down to earth but every now and then he would say a word that would sound totally big bird and I’d want to turn around and look for something large and yellow.

71. laura says:

well remember that game six degrees of kevin bacon?
    okay, all you kiddie mommies, hush up!
    anyhoo i can connect myself to kevin bacon thanks to my husband’s starving young actor days. he decided before we married that he liked to eat so it is just community theater for him.
    here we go:
    me
    darling husband
    mike-best man at our wedding
    michael keaton (he was the 1st batman of the batman movies, mr mom and in cars) mike worked with mr keaton on a movie called touch and go in 1986
    jack nicholson who starred with keaton in batman
    kevin bacon who starred with jack nicholson in a few good men.
    i had a conversation with andre previn (mia farrow’s husband before woody allen) and had no clue who i was talking to about why i like johann sebastian bach
    i also met willie stargell and the great one, roberto clemente
    my husband and i are married because chuck magione autographed an album to both of us and he said that we would have to marry after he did that.
    and a long tim ago i took care of cindy crawford’s baby step sister. she is now 17 years old which mean s i am an old nurse.
    peggy fleming had a conversation with me when she dedicated our new nicu.

72. laura says:

i forgot i had an amazing conversation with mr rogers when i was a know it all junior in high school….i am a pittsburgh girl. anyway, he was as genuine in real life as he was on his tv show. he was/is and always will be my hero.

73. Rachel says:

I went to high school with a former writer on the Charlie Sheen show 2 1/2 Men. Now he co-owns a production company. I think its cool.

74. Rachel says:

Oh yea, The Jonas Brothers were friends of my sister when they were little. She used to babysit them and I used to play with them. They were cute little kids.

75. Kristen says:

Nearly a month ago Tony Dungy (superbowl winning coach of the Indianapolis Colts) and I were the same terminal in the Atlanta airport; it was late, probably 11:30pm. A few things struck me…He was with whom I’m assuming was his adult daughter and three grandkids. The smallest child was on his lap, he was watching football, and he was flying a budget airline (no first class). This guy is an outspoken christian and I was extremely impressed with his character that evening.

76. MamaLady says:

My grandmother was engaged to Tex Ritter (cowboy singer and father to John). Her father broke them up because he was sure Tex would never amount to anything. So, my grandmother married my grandfather.
    I met Charles Barley in the Reno airport once. He is HUGE! All I could think of was how did he find sandals to fit his giant feet? His hand was bigger than my head. I promise! Did I mention he was tall?
    That’s about it for my celebrity close encounters.
    I have wanted to test the 6 degrees of separation theory. But I’m afraid of having all those restraining orders on my record!

77. Kathleen Marie says:

This is so cute…
    I am somehow related to Jesse James – I’d rather not be.
    My Grandmother was a cousin to Harry Truman…so many times removed! Also to Mary Todd Lincoln, so many times removed. She also had some Armstrong relative that fought was George Washington in the French Indian War. No relation to George A Custer I am happy to say.
    My Mother is a second cousin twice removed to Audie Leon Murphy (most decorated WW2 hero and movie star). Audie and my uncle went to war about the same time. I found this out and asked her about it. She met him once or twice at family reunions…no big deal!
    I met Dean Martin, Bob Hope, Michael Landon, and others at a rodeo my Dad was in charge of when I was a kid. Actually I think Bob Hope was at the golf tournament?
    I met and talked a long time with Bobby McFerrin (Don’t worry, Be Happy) at the airport in MN. My whole family was there. He was reading his Bible and my daughter was air sick and he kindly inquired about her and we talked about of faith. Then we chatted again at the Baltimore airport while we were both waiting for cabs. I knew he looked familiar then later that day saw his photo in the paper. He was a guest conductor for the Baltimore Symphony. He was so kind and humble.
    My husband and I checked in at the same time at a motel in Omaha with the group Alabama. They were all very nice.
    I met and talked with Sarah Kelly at a concert in Rapid City. She is amazing! If we lived near each other we would be best friends! lol
    This was fun to read. God Bless!

78. GiBee says:

John Wayne married my maternal Grandmother’s cousin … making him what? My second cousin once removed — or something like that?
    My mom stayed at the Carter’s home in Georgia and worked with them to plan a festival at Disney for children with Downs Syndrome. That makes him absolutely nothing to me.
    I don’t even remember the name of the band that I met the lead singer to … and that makes me … sad. And old.

79. Lady Why says:

OK, I just have to ask… because inquiring minds want to know… how does your dad feel about Hillary running for (and possibly becoming) president? Juuuust wondering!
    I’ve been kissed by Jon Bon Jovi; made mimosas for Dick Gephardt; had a chat with Hank Williams Jr. – who is a very down to earth fellow – and I bought a bra in the same department of Goody’s as Ashley Judd. She was there signing autographs for her clothing line before doing a little lingerie shopping… with me!
    Is it really lame that I bought a more expensive bra just because Ashley Judd might have been looking?

80. DSW says:

I’ve never met or even seen any celebrities!!
    Several years ago, I was a babysitter for the kids of my state’s governor. It was fun hanging out in the governor’s mansion. The kitchen staff served the kids tacos on little silver platters and put their milk in crystal goblets! LOL

81. JennaG says:

Ok, I have to join in. I sat next to a guitarist from Lynyrd Skynyrd at a Christmas party last year. I have had my picture taken with Lisa Welchel and also with Carman. I’ve talked with Southern Gospel group, Ernie Haase and Signature Sound. I had a small conversation with Louise Mandrell during her concert. My husband did a color guard for Ronald Reagan–and my hubby’s ggg-grandmother was a civil war heroine on the side of the south. She captured some Union soldiers by drugging them with laudanum and turned them over to General Nathan Bedford Forrest. She was given a horse in return!

82. Terri says:

No famous family, although my cousin is a Broadway dancer in Wicked!
    I have met Paula Poundstone outside a toy store in NYC and I met Keanu Reeves in Colorado.

83. Terri says:

Ok, well there is a family story that a great uncle shoed a horse for Jesse James. He was asked to shoe the horse backwards so that the horse looked like it was going the other way.

84. Bitsy says:

Nothing to brag about ~ but I’m related to the outlaw, Jesse James what a coincidence with Terri’s comment right above mine ~ at least it seems he was a crafty dude!!)
    Also met the original Mission Impossible cast in Dallas when I was a little girl. Other than that, only met authors at book talks!!!

85. Clemntine says:

I’ve played in pit orchestras on Broadway, so most of my famous encounters are with theatre folk. My favorites are Julie Andrews and Carol Burnett. Once, I told Carol that, as a latchkey kid, I would come home from school and watch her show and not feel so alone. She teared up, took my face in both her hands, and kissed me on the forehead. I was 18 at the time, and it meant everything in the world to me.
    I’ve met a few TV people and am personal, long-time friends with John McDaniel (bandleader on The Rosie O’Donnell Show years back).
    But, the one I’m proudest of is that when I lived in Lawton, OK, Abe Deutschendorf (JOHN DENVER’S COUSIN) ran for state representative and I VOTED FOR HIM, which makes me practically your step-neighbor-in-law! Should we get matching bracelets?

86. Liz C says:

I met the lady who came up with the Bush’s Baked Beans/dog commercial/secret family recipe concept. We were both eating dinner and sipping a pint at a Scottish pub in Portland, Oregon.
    My hometown is the one they used for filming “Napoleon & Samantha” (Jodie Foster stars!)… we watch it every now and then, and gripe about the geographical splices. Does it count if your “famous connection” to someone is that you rode your bike down the same scary hill as she filmed on?
    I grew up with a couple of rodeo circuit guys, as did my younger siblings. And the son of two teachers in high school plays minor-league ball back east somewhere.
    I think I know “small town famous” rather than “famous famous.” 🙂

87. Sherry says:

My mother’s maiden name is Reiner. Her father, my grandfather was first cousin to Carl Reiner which is also Rob Reiner’s father.
    My grandmother (mom’s mother) is a descendant of Daniel Boone which is also somehow related to Pat and Debbie Boone – You know, the woman who had the one hit wonder in the 80’s “you light up my life”… LOL
    My dad lives very close to the same river that was in the movie “The River Wild” with Kevin Bacon and Meryl Streep.
    My daughter rang up Marie Osmond’s Christmas gifts at Toys R Us last Christmas. LOL
    That’s all!

88. heather says:

I met Rick Springfield and have a picture with him, I about died. I loved him on General hospital and his music growing up. That soooo dates me.

89. Nicki says:

Okay, so I thought I’d come back and share some other things besides the 3 degrees that separates me and Kevin Bacon…via Meryl Streep’s nephew. LOL!
    Years ago, while out to dinner with my in-laws, I pointed out to them that I thought NASCAR driver Kyle Petty was being seated next to us, along with his (now deceased 😦 ) son Adam. My mother-in-law, quickly, and rather loudly, assured me that he was not Kyle Petty because Kyle was much more attractive than this man. She then turned to the man who was most-definitely-not-Kyle-Petty and told him with a laugh, “She thinks you look like Kyle Petty.” With that, the man responded, “She would be right, then. Because I am Kyle Petty.”
    Back in 2004, Hubby and I were walking on a busy sidewalk, in a city that was hosting a NASCAR race the next day. As we were walking along, I watched out of the corner of my eye, as Hubby quickly turned around and yelled, “Kasey!” At about the same time, from ‘Kasey’s’ direction, I heard the squealing of car tires. I soon realized what had happened. Hubby had noticed NASCAR driver Kasey Kahne getting ready to walk across the street. When Hubby loudly yelled his name, it startled Kasey and he stopped in the street, just as a car was turning on to the road. This caused the driver of the car to slam on the brakes in order to avoid hitting the 2004 NASCAR Rookie of the Year.
    So, as you can see, when celebrities encounter my family, they risk the chance of being either, insulted or possibly maimed.

90. Sarcastic Mom says:

Oh, pffffttt. Your claim to fame is your excellent writing skills and your obvious intelligence.
    We love your online presence. 🙂
    My hubs plays guitar and has played for and with many cool fellers. Just being along for the ride has enable me to come into contact with a host of interesting people like Willie Nelson, Billy Bob Thornton, and Alice Cooper. I didn’t get in any of their faces, but it’s just cool to get close.

91. GP says:

John Denver was and still is a fav of mine. Met him at a concert in NYC.
    My claim to fame (if that is one) is being related to jerry seinfeld 🙂
    GP in Montana

92. Darlene Rogers says:

Okay, so here is my little story.
    Last Thanksgiving I noticed a Phillips, Craig and Dean CD sitting on my mom’s table in her office. Knowing that Contemporary Christian music is not her favorite style of music, I questioned her on it. This is how it went:
    Me: So mom, why on earth do you have a Phillips, Craig and Dean CD?
    Mom: Oh, Randy Phillips is your cousin, his Aunt sent it to me.
    Me: SHUT UP! (this was in a get out of here kind of way. Totally not disrespectful)
    Mom: Well yeah, it just a little band he’s in.
    Me: Mom, seriously, you don’t even have a clue, do you? They are definately not just a little band. They are like one of the best CCM groups around.
    She really didn’t know, so I filled her in and then we found out the next time they were going to be close and we went to a concert and met him. We are second cousins. Our grandparents were siblings. It’s been fun getting to know a part of my family that I didn’t even know exsisted. It’s been a true blessing.

93. Amanda says:

I have a few, but jumping on the Kevin Bacon bandwagon … I went to high school with an actress named Joanna Daniels, who was in the episode of “Mad About You” where they announced their pregnancy. It was a takeoff of the Kevin Bacon game and he appeared with Joanna at the end of the episode. So I guess that’s 2 degrees??:-)
    I also saw Robert Goulet, who passed away last week, walking down the street in Atlanta about 20 years ago when he was in town doing Camelot.
    During the Atlanta Olympics, we rode in an elevator with Giselle Fernandez (NBC sports personality at that time) and Joel Grey (Jennifer’s dad … starred in Cabaret).
    And to bring it full circle, we saw Jane Fonda at a movie premier and several Braves games … she, of course, starred in Nine to Five with Dabney Coleman, who was in You’ve Got Mail with Tom Hanks, who was in Apollo 13 with …. Kevin Bacon! 🙂

94. JP's MOM says:

Well if you live where I live you have “famous” people all around, so they are just normal.
    I attend church with Gary Smalley and Joe White. VERY COOL FAMOUS PEOPLE.
    My uncle is a pro golfer so he meets LOTS of famous athletes and attends church with Albert Pujols.
    As a child I met Patrick Wayne, John Wayne’s son…it was my reward for selling the most girl scout cookies.
    I stood and talked to the man that is the voice of Buzz Lightyer Star command and didn’t realize who he was till he left.
    I worked on school projects with The Osmonds 2nd Generation.

95. Julie says:

My husband’s family claims to be related to Judy Garland (Dorothy from Wizard of Oz – among other things). Her real name was Judy Gumm (there last name).
    Last year my FIL was at a conference in downtown Phoenix when Liza Minelli (who is cousins or something of Judy Garland) came out of a building with her entourage. He went over to say hi and ended up sitting in her limo talking to her for like 10 minutes.
    Had my picture taken with Matt Lauer about 6 years ago. Ann Curry too. She was soooo nice. She stayed after the show and signed autographs and took pictures with everyone who was waiting. Matt did it for about 10 minutes and then left. (Katie was on vacation.)
    My husband met Dave Ramsey a few weeks ago. I’m totally jealous there.
    Oh, and my brother is a bodyguard for the “first lady” of a state I shall not name. I think that’s pretty cool!

96. Sincerely Anna says:

John Denver was the first concert I went to. You never forget your first 🙂 I’m not related to any famous people but my dad used to know Jimmy Dean from Jimmy Dean sausage. Now that’s a claim to fame.

97. laurie says:

What a hoot, I ‘know’ so few famous people if I talked to them on the street I wouldn’t even know it. I left the country once- we went to London and I saw Princess Dianne- totally unplanned but nice.

98. Christy says:

My great-great grandfather was CL “Dad” Joiner who was one of the Texas Wildcatters who discovered oil in East Texas and Beaumont. He is featured in the Texas Museum in Austin and in the Oil Museum in Kilgore.

99. Emily says:

My Grandmother taught Hank Williams SR; she said that he went by “Hiram” back then. I got to meet Chef Robert Irvine from Dinner Impossible at Logan Airport in Boston in June. He was very nice, and my sister joked about the “love letter/novel” he wrote on the autographed picture he gave me! I Grew up in the DEEP south, where some action adventure movie was filmed. We ran into the actors regularly. I was an obnoxious 13 yrs old, so they all completely ignored my friends and me. My hubs went to high school with Shannon Faulkner who destroyed The Citadel when she was the first girl to go there (and then QUIT!)…Needless to write, he didn’t particularly like her, and neither did anyone else in all of SOUTH CAROLINA.

100. Emily says:

Oh, I forgot…I went to college with the daughters of some senators and big city tv news anchors. Grew up with an absolutely adorable in every way guy who is now an accomplished musician; he’s opened up for John Mayer, Counting Crows, James Taylor to name a few. My FIL played football at Perdue and went to the Rose Bowl. His roommate was a famous NFL player/commentator, who also dated my MIL before she married my FIL.

101. Deidre' says:

Well, my third cousin used to be a US congressman. And My great-grandmother was a twin sister to Joel Osteen’s great-grandmother, so I suppose that makes us cousins. And my husband and I once stayed in the same hotel and rode down in the elevator with Willie Roaf. But that only counts if you are a Saints fan…Actually, none of them really count…so no, no touch of greatness for me, except for the most important connection…I am a child of the King.

102. cds says:

too fun…
    I ran into Dustin Hoffman at a mall in Oklahoma City when he was shooting “Rain Man”, I saw a bunch of famous people when we visited LA a few years back, but that doesn’t really count…that’s not so much a “chance” encounter.
    I was friends in college with Thad Luckinbill (JT on the Young & the Restless)
    And most recently…my 6 yr. old played soccer against Pioneer Woman’s son a couple of weeks ago. I noticed this adorable blond that looked familiar & realized it was because of the pictures on her blog. I thought about asking her if she’d let us come out to her place to take family pics of us, but figured that would be a little stalker-ish. oh well….

103. Laura says:

One of my cousins was Sheb Wooley, who sang “Purple People Eater”. I think 2nd or 3rd cousin… somewhere down the road.
    I met Jay R. Ferguson face to face during theater class in junior high – he was best friends with my then-best friend’s brother. (Who was he? you ask… Ponyboy in The Outsiders TV show – at the time, I thought he was so hot – all the young teeny-boppers did! He also played Taylor Newton in the TV show Evening Shade.) I remember being so emberassed for him, because in the middle of giving this talk to our class, he gagged on his retainer and had to spit it out in his hand and hand it to his dad, gross!
    I “met” John Ritter in junior high, he was filming Problem Child down the street from my school. I recognized him going by and yelled out his name (so cool, right? hey, I was 13…) and he turned and smiled that memorable smile of his and waved and yelled hi back. We also had to run cross-country right through the middle of the film’s tents, so we saw all the stars – I just don’t know who they all were.
    A coach at the school I attended was a former football player for the Eagles – I was a year younger than his daughter, a year older than his son. Had no clue until years later… I’m oblivious about these things, you know. (I think his name was Coach Key… I think that’s right…)
    I saw Alan Jackson in concert, close enough to touch his boots, the week before he became country music’s latest, greatest star – and he smiled at me!!! Too cool…
    My sister and BIL used to go to country/western dances when they were dating, in these little podunk dance halls in south Texas, and George Strait & Dwight Yokum would be singing (at different times, of course) – this was waaaay before they became famous.
    I also went to school with Oriana Huron my senior year, of Rough Riders and Tough Women movies. We had theater class together – though I only took it because I needed a credit to graduate!
    I passed Tommy Lee Jones on the street in my hometown (he has a ranch there – San Saba, TX) and said hello, but he ignored me and kept walking. Supposedly that’s just the way he is – after that, whenever I saw him, I just looked the other way – his receptionist was very nice, though – she always came into the office I worked in and laughed with us.
    The guy who played bass guitar for Sixpence None the Richer, their hit song “Kiss Me”, was the worship leader at the church we attended when our son was born. Our son was dedicated during the same ceremony as his daughter, our pictures show us standing side by side – very nice couple, can’t remember their names, though!
    Hmmm… this is fun! I’ll have to keep thinking – I might make this a post on my blog, if I have time…

104. Chelsea says:

I grew up just a few blocks from Rick Springfield’s house. We drove by it a TON in junior high, but we never saw Rick. I’ve also trick-or-treated at Vic Tayback’s house (he was Mel on “Alice”) and was friends with the daughter of Gordon Jump (the former Maytag Man who was in “WKRP in Cincinatti”). Oh, and I’ve met Abe Carver and the original Austin Reed from “Days of Our Lives.”
    When we were on our honeymoon, my husband met David Hyde Pierce (Niles Crane on “Frasier”) at our hotel’s gym. Pierce was just getting out of the shower and was stark naken, so my hubby opted not to introduce himself.

105. Chelsea says:

That was stark naked, not naken.
    One more! Lisa Whelchel went to my junior high for a year! It was pre-Facts of Life. I think she was a Mouseketeer then.

106. Holly Smith says:

We had dinner with Mike Huckabee…he was friends with my boss and spoke at our church in LR, so we know his boat story.
    My Dad worked with Valerie Bertinelli’s dad, so I have met her, Eddie Van Halen and David Lee Roth.
    My Mom did the art work for Martha Josey (Barrel Racing Champion).
    I interviewed the Russian delegation coming to oversee the destruction of missiles in Texas in the late 80’s and met Jimmy Dean (sausage guy and singer) at the same time.
    I went to the rival high school of Matthew McConaughey and then went to University of Texas with him, Luke and Owen Wilson and Mary Lou Retton.
    We saw Andy Warhol (pop artist) in the Tavern on the Green in the mid-80’s.
    I just met Beth Moore last month and got to hug her neck! She is precious to our family.
    I met CeCe Winams and shook her hand. She is the most beautiful woman of God!!
    OH, and we met George Foreman when we got our Border Collie (he got one from the same litter). He was wearing a straw hat, overalls and riding a honda spree! He was a neighbor and friend of my good friend Natalie’s grandpa.
    What a fun question, Shannon! I wonder, was John Denver a Christian? I heard a Christian evangelist say he was. Is that true???

107. Jenn says:

My DH is distantly related to Annette Benning and Shirly MacLaine.
    I grew up in the same hometown as Derek Jeter (also the location of Tim Allen’s – Home Improvement – arrest). I went to high school and was on the cheerleading squad with a Radio City Rockette. Over the years, I have met Maria Shriver (Arnold’s wife), Justice Thomas, Justice Ginsburg, Janet Reno, Newt Gingrich, Nadia Cominich (sp?) and Bart Connors (gymnasts), Susan Ashton, Jim Brickman (before he made it big), Avalon, Michelle Tumes, Out of the Gray, and Michael Tate (my husband was friends with him in college). I currently live and work in a small town in VA and weekly see Charles Billingsley (and used to see Jerry Falwell). Since living here, I have met all the Falwells, Angela Thomas, and Lisa Whelchel.
    I am still waiting to meet a movie star and chat with Reese over mochas while our children play together.

108. Laural says:

Speaking of Reese Witherspoon, I had an interesting interaction with her. She was SO nice, considering I was asking her about meat cuts, lol. I just finished blogging about it, and other run-ins I’ve had, on my blog.
    I have had the best time reading all of these comments!

109. elise says:

Cool site. I met Kiefer Sutherland years ago at 5:00 am at an airport. He was somewhat friendly but looked trashed (as I’m sure we all did). I’ve met Peter Vidmar (gymnast) and Jim Shea (skeleton athlete) and had photos with them as well as Al Roker (they’re all really nice). I’ve seen Jim Nabors, Bart Connor (the gymnast), and Dudley Moore at the airport. I once flew on the same plane as Sam Donaldson to D.C. His toupee was ghastly. I know Corbin Allred who was in the TGIF show Teen Angel, Robin Hood: Men in Tights and a current Wendy’s commercial. I taught Noah Bastian who was on that boy band reality show and my sister-in-law taught the girl who plays Kelsey in High School Musical. My best experience, however, was helping Rick Springfield down some chairs while he was performing and touching his butt. I even have the pics to prove it!!