Christmascarnivalsmll2My friend Melanie is hosting a brilliant carnival today:  The Holiday Shopping Carnival.  It’s just what it sounds like–an opportunity to share great ideas for Christmas gifts.

My little problemo is that everybody I buy Christmas presents for actually reads this blog, including (at least occasionally) my kids.

So, Dryer kids, if you’ve made it this far, you are now completely busted.  STEP AWAY FROM THE COMPUTER RIGHT NOW, because so help me, you precious little creatures, I will return all the goodies and give you a box of rocks.  Maybe the ones from my dryer.

Yes, our family is almost drowning in the joy of the season.

Believe it or not, I’ve nearly finished Christmas shopping for the kids.  Nobody had their hearts set on a big-ticket item this year, so it’s going to be a mish-mash of smaller gifts.  That’s fine by me–they’re more fun to buy anyway.

Lego_2 All three of the boys will be getting a video game, either for their Wii or DS.  Everybody is getting at least one book (so far I’ve bought this one, this one, this one and this one.)  And each of the boys is getting a Lego set, because we can never seem to have enough.  Probably because I have stepped on so many of them that the soles of my feet have absorbed them.  I probably have two dozen Legos floating around in my bloodstream as we speak.

(Speaking of which, each boy is getting one of these in his stocking.  Pretty handy little tool for my Lego fanatics, I’d say.)

I’m having a bit of a love affair with CafePress at the moment.  My kids love funny t-shirts, but I don’t let them wear disrespectful ones.  I’ve managed to find some very good ones at CafePress, and (shhhh!) the boys don’t mind that they’re getting the clothes they needed anyway.

Bittybaby Corrie is getting an accessory or two for the Bitty Baby she just got for her birthday.  I’d also like to find her a small little table and chair set (kind of like this, except preferably one that doesn’t require a second mortgage.)

We’ll probably toss a Webkinz in each stocking.  I have to tell you that the appeal of these little creatures is beyond me, yet my kids adore them.  And really, they enjoy playing with the animals themselves at least as much as they enjoy the on-line version.

Hsm Last but not least, I stumbled on this last night, and I’m very tempted.  But it would totally be for the kids.  Of course.  I would never pop it in the CD player after they get on the bus in the morning.  Never.

That’s about it for the kids.

Adults are, of course, much harder.  On my side of the family, we draw names, and don’t let each other do gift certificates.  I drew my brother’s name, and Hubs drew my dad’s.  They both have me utterly baffled.  I may hand this little task off to Hubs.

LisaleonardEven though it’s not part of Melanie’s carnival, I do think it’s fun to hear other people’s wish lists.  I personally have been coveting a Lisa Leonard necklace for quite some time, and my Amazon wish-list is crammed full of book titles including this, this, this and this.  And, because a girl likes to think big every now and then, this sassy pink laptop is CALLING MY NAME.  I can just see myself typing away on it in the coffee shop.  I think it would say to people, "I may look like a semi-frumpy housewife, but I am in fact a semi-frumpy housewife with a pink laptop.  So there."

That’s it from me.  Head back over to Melanie’s site for a look at other gift suggestions.

38 thoughts on “If You Are One Of My Children and You Are Reading This Post, You Are So Totally Grounded

1. sam says:

Try http://www.threadless.com for t-shirts. some are not anything I would let my kids wear but some are downright hilarious. My kids say they almost always receive comments when they wear them. Last year, the first part of December, they had a special promotion offering all t’s for $10 each. Of course the bummer is they limit printing so if there is a favorite, it may be sold out if you wait too long.

2. Robin in New Jersey says:

Did you buy those Lego seperators because your boys were using their teeth? My MIL bought the seperators for my boys and they still used their teeth!
    I just bought Webkinzs yesterday for my girls.

3. alison says:

In about a week I’ll be all over the whole Christmas Shopping thing, ready to make my list and check it twice, but until then I’ve got a big birthday party to plan and survive. Thanks for the inspiration though.

4. Madridmom says:

We used to draw names for the adults on my husband’s side too. We used to dread when we would get two male names because they were always so much harder to shop for. We finally got smart and put all the female names in one drawing and the men in another. Works for us! (Maybe I should have saved this comment for Wednesday? Ü)

5. Staci at Writing and Living says:

We drew names in my family. Or rather, my sister drew the names and then told us who she drew (we all live far apart). Anyway, finally we busted her for picking out all the easy-to-buy-for people for herself and giving everybody else the hard ones. :o)

6. Amy says:

Good ideas! I have some great sports t-shirts on my idea post that also have scripture on them– your boys might like them!

7. Kellyn says:

Let me tell you how much I LOVE that lego tool! We have the lego store at the Mall of America, and my MIL found these. They work like a charm. Warning though, have a back up because they get lost just like the legos do!
    I am going to check out that t-shirt site. My son loves worded shirts, and I won’t let him wear disrespectful ones either. Great tips!!

8. Dana says:

AAHHHH!!!! It is too early for this. I can’t think about Christmas, yet. I don’t have a clue what I’m getting for the kids.
    I know what my husband’s gift shall be, however. He has been posting about the only thing he ever really gets excited about on my blog. So what else would I get him?

9. Shalee says:

I know what you mean about the legos. I just love it when I get to step on another one… But I love that separater… great gadget to have for those stubborn pieces!
    And I have to see HSM 2 before I can do the Kareoke deal. Believe you me, I’ll know those songs soon enough!

10. Lori Bailey says:

Did you check out IKEA for a small table and chair set? They usually have some very plain ones made of solid wood that could be adequately girlied up with some pink paint and whatever embellishments you feel up to.

11. Valerie says:

The PERFECT place to buy the PERFECT guy gift is thinkgeek.com. My DH’s entire Christmas list comes off that site and he gets giddy with excitement whenever a Thinkgeek box arrives on our doorstep. Even if you’re not buying for a certified geek, there are lots of cool guy stuff.

12. Marian says:

WHY?? Why are you doing this to me?!? Don’t you know that if I see really great books that my elementary school kids might totally love, I must buy them, no matter how my budget might protest??
    (Um, thanks for the recommendations.)

13. Samantha says:

Bummer! They didn’t have pink as an option when I got my laptop. I do love my pink! But I’m about to swoon–a pink Dyson? Oh my vacuuming heavens! That would be at the top of my wish list. Frankly, any Dyson would be at the top of my list. But we’re moving soon, so I’m waiting to see what my new floors look like before investing in a new vacuum. Not patiently waiting, mind you, but waiting…

14. Misty Dawn says:

This was such a fun read! I TOTALLY went big for my Christmas wish list (cuz I know that Hubs and I aren’t going to get each other anything – so it’s just that… wishes). I want a new digital camera, a laptop that doesn’t put 2nd degree burns on my legs, and LOTS and LOTS of books, and Bon Jovi concert tickets… That’s all 😉

15. Rachel says:

I really want a sassy pink laptop, but since I JUST got a new one… I’m going to get a pink skin for mine instead. LOL!
    This was great!

16. Bonnie says:

The Lego separator is awesome! I could use one of these in my classroom! I’m not a big fan of CafePress though….they also sell some really awful anti-Christian T’s as well….I can’t imagine a pink laptop!

17. Kim says:

love your blog! have you ever checked out http://www.randomshirts.com? they release new shirts all the time and they’re all clean (unoffensive). they’ve got some great stuff. now sure how old your kids are (i just found your site), but i’m guessing they would love some of these shirts. enjoy!

18. Andrea says:

Any ideas for a mom (that would be me) with a husband and four children ages 4 to 11 who are in the midst of a move, purchasing a new house in another state at the end of this month, and looking at NO money in the Christmas budget? I’m afraid I may have a mutiny on my hands if I try to play the “we just don’t have the money” card!

19. Ronda says:

Thanks for the Lego brick separater tip! I had no idea they made those. I think I’ll order a dozen (cause you KNOW they’ll get just as lost as the bricks)! ha!

20. Valerie says:

To Andrea: I have friends that are getting their girls homemade “gift certificates” for a trip to the American Girl store in March. Giving them something really cool to look forward to might make the “we just don’t have any money” card go over a bit more easily.

21. Sue says:

I can’t believe so many people are already Christmas shopping. And partly done. It’s not even Thanksgiving! Ow, my head hurts now.

22. Colin Wee says:

I was walking in a mall with my wife in September and noticed with dismay that Christmas decorations were up! I couldn’t believe it then, yet now am panicking that Christmas is already around the corner. This year is going to be a little different – my son (6yo) has been told by some loud mouth in school that Santa is not real! Can you believe it? We’re still going to preserve the tradition a little more for my daughter (3yo). I wonder if this mean I don’t have to get another present for William and pretend Santa delivered it! 🙂 Colin

23. Hollie says:

That sassy pink computer is winable you know? Dell is hosting a contest where you can win it! For the Canadains I have the link up, but I am sure you can find the US one with ease too….I want that computer under my tree too!

24. Bethanne says:

I stumbled upon your blog from Fran’s. I cannot believe you actually listed your kids presents on this blog. You have great trust in your kids (I could do it, but my kids are too little to read my blog). Great blog!

25. Heidi says:

great list. I was going to suggest IKEA for the table too. My daughter got one a few years ago and my artistic sister painted big flowers on it to match her room. It’s adorable.