Meet the Queen

About 20 years ago, my best friend B and I lay sprawled in her bedroom floor, taking turns pausing the Paula Abdul cassette in the boom box (oh yes, the "boom box".  We had all the street cred you would expect from two white girls growing up in rural Arkansas).  We wanted to learn all the words to the spoken part in the middle of "Cold-Hearted Snake", and we spent a full two hours devoted to the task.

And to this day, those profound words stay with me:  "How can–how can–he keep on a’ tellin–tellin you that you were always–always–number–number–one without a doubt…."

I tell you this story to assure you that my friend B is capable of very great things.

No one was more pleased than I when she finally started a blog, The Queen B.  It’s just as funny as I knew it would be, including jewels of wisdom such as

No one ever tells you how to react to such kindness in the shampoo bowl.

and

I now have these folders in my favorites: News, Shopping, Racing, Blogs and Black Death.

See?  Good stuff (and I’m not just saying that because she could totally blackmail me with info about my teenage years).  When you have time, head over there and welcome my dear old friend to the blogosphere.

10 thoughts on “Meet the Queen

1. Beth says:

You are too kind. I must say that Paula’s Cold-Hearted Snake comes in a distant second to Debbie Gibson’s We Could Be Together. I think we had total harmony worked out on that one. We consumed more cheese fries than I care to think about during that process!! Thank you for your sweet words. You rock.

2. witchypoo says:

Went there and bookmarked it.
    I am so going to have to prune my bookmarks to the best of the best, I only have so many hours in the day, and I love reading witty comments.
    Then I surf to the blog of the commenter…
    Vacuuming can wait yet another day.

3. Jen says:

You were SO right!!! 😀 Just finished reading and laughing through all her posts, and I will now have to reapply my makeup before going to chorus rehearsal… Oh, well… Small price to pay for a great new find! Thanks! You all must have had so much fun together!!!!!

4. Jeni says:

I remember singing that song on the playground with friends in 6th grade. That was after we had moved on from Bon Jovi’s “You Give Love a Bad Name”

5. Kellyn says:

Love that song! I still laugh when I see the video on VH1 classics…now I feel old.
    Bookmarked and read. She is hilarious! Thanks for pointing to her.

6. Anonymous says:

I had totally forgot about trying to memorize those Paula Abdul lyrics. Oy. I feel so stupid now. But at least I wasn’t the only young girl memorizing lyrics that I no idea what they really meant.

7. mimi2six says:

Oh….the stories I could tell about both Queen B and Shannon!!! If you think they are funny now, you should have known them when they were teenagers…..both with really big hair! They kept my husband and me rolling with laughter!! (I’m Shannon’s mom, and I can be bought for my stories!!)