Works For Me: A Couple Of Salads

Wfmwsmall You may have noticed the conspicuous absence of mouth-watering recipes on this mommy blog.  While I think it is absolutely fantastic that many of my favorite bloggers share recipes that make your toes curl, I’ve just never gotten particularly excited about cooking.  I’m a decent cook, and I enjoy taking care of my family, but that’s where it ends.

I say all of that to let you know that in the unlikely event you do see a recipe at Rocks In My Dryer, it will be because a) it was so absolutely fantabulous that it got me past my case of the blehs over cooking and b) it was easy, easy, EASY.

So here are two of my very best (and easiest!) recipes, the very ones I’m making this afternoon to take to my aunt and uncle’s house tomorrow.

PEA SALAD

3/4 cup white vinegar
1/3 cup oil
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 can whole kennel corn, drained
1 can French green beans, drained
1 can green peas, drained
1 onion, chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped
1 batch green onions/scallions, chopped

Mix first five ingredients in a sauce pan; bring to a boil.  Set aside and let cool.

Mix remaining ingredients in a large bowl.  Pour cooled dressing over veggie mixture; chill for at least 12 hours.

Serves 12.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

FRUIT SALAD

2 14-oz cans chunk pineapple, UNDRAINED
2 cans mandarin oranges, drained
2 cups of grapes, chopped
4 bananas, sliced
2 3-oz packets of INSTANT vanilla pudding

Mix all ingredients except bananas in large bowl.  Chill for at least two hours.  Add in bananas just before serving.

Serves 12.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Ever heard the old saying, "If you are what you eat, I’m fast, cheap and easy"?  Works for me!  If you’d like to play along with WFMW this week, check out the guidelines here first.  Then leave your link below.

Deleted_2

37 thoughts on “Works For Me: A Couple Of Salads

1. JIll says:

Holy cow, you are early. Usually I don’t start stalking, I mean checking your blog until about an hour from now. Yummy salads!

2. Andrea says:

I never actually post recipes, either, because all of mine are from other people. So don’t feel so bad! And I’d eat that Pea Salad – even if it does have green beans.

3. Gego says:

One doesn’t have to cook the dressing to make the salad taste the same way. Just thought I would save you some well deserved time.

4. Elizabeth says:

Pea salad. Does your family eat it at the table or on the couch? Tee, hee, hee, once again you’ve started my day on a funny note! Happy Thanksgiving!

5. Sabrina says:

Both of those recipes sound wonderful, especially the pea salad. I’m not a cook and I avoid the kitchen if I can. I’m trying to convince my kids that they love to cook so they’ll take over for me as soon as possible.

6. Robin (the pensieve one) says:

Hmmm, I think you’ve just made “salad” a dessert! Pudding AND fruit combined? Now, THAT’S how you can get your kids to eat the daily requirement!! (Of fruit, not pudding 😉 ) (is there a daily requirement for pudding? There SHOULD be! Ha!)
    On another note, I imagine people are weary from all the Thanksgiving posts this month, but I included the link to a FUN, family tradition-maker that has surprised me with the response so far….Not sure if there’ll be any interest here, but based on the google searches that have been hitting my blog and the EMAILS (not just comments), I figured I should give the post a bit more “air time”. Thanks for the venue, Shannon :).

7. Dawn says:

I’m the type of person that sweats at the thought of a potluck gathering. I’ve always dreamed that I would someday find that one signature dish that was easy to prepare and that people would look forward to eating when they hear that I’ll be at the party. I’ve searched countless recipe websites, but that perfect dish remains elusive. These recipes will both be perfect! Thanks for sharing and Happy Thanksgiving.

8. Jeni says:

FYI – the instant pudding fruit salad thingie – also works with frozen mixed fruit. Just add the pudding mix to the fruit and let it thaw, stirring occasionally. Yummy!

9. Jeni says:

10. GiBee says:

If my memory serves me correctly, I think you very well MAY have shared a recipe or two … one for stretching your spaghetti sauce (it’s technically a recipe!), and there may have been a recipe for this very fruit salad! So, if anything, you are very consistent. Which is a good thing when you are what you eat!

11. Momala says:

Hi Shannon! Looks like great recipies I’ll have to try. Since I’m new to this whole blogging thing I hope I did everything right when I linked here! 🙂

12. eko says:

OH, I am SO making the fruit salad – as the one I really want to make, well I didn’t have all the ingredients – and for this one I can improvise with other fruits!
    Thanks – I so needed something *fruity* for tomorrow!

13. Sharinskishe says:

Thanks for the great salad ideas! We’ve been on a green salad kick lately and I think I’ll try the Pea Salad for a bit of variety. Thanks for hosting WFMW, I have learned alot from all the Bloggers who participate. Have a Wonderful Thanksgiving!

14. K says:

I am a couple days late in viewing this week’s WFMW but this week I can’t see any links and I have tried on 3 different browsers. ????
    😦