I Am Trying To Imagine the Horror of Life Without Rotel

Rotel_copy

Several of you asked, in the comments section below, what Rotel is.

And I wept for you.

I totally forgot that Rotel is a semi-regional product.  When we lived in Chicago it was nearly impossible to find, a little inconvenience that made Super-Bowl watching considerably less enjoyable.

Rotel, for those of you that don’t know, is a canned blend of tomatoes and green chili pepppers.  It is an essential staple in anything Tex-Mex-ish, and it is the STAR of the all-important and aforementioned Super-Bowl snack:  Rotel cheese dip.  For this, you simply melt a "loaf" of Velveeta together with a can of Rotel.  Eat with chips, of course, and good luck using restraint.

(For those of you who disdain the Velveeta, I don’t EVEN want to hear it.  Velveeta haters baffle me.  That is some fine stuff.)

Feel free, you Rotel lovers, to expound on your love of (and uses for) Rotel in the comments section.

117 thoughts on “I Am Trying To Imagine the Horror of Life Without Rotel

1. Gina says:

Rotel is awesome! I make a dish exactly like the one you posted on your wfmw post. I thought I invented it! It’s definitely a staple in a well stocked pantry.
    It fits well in almost any cheesy, potlucky, casserole type dish too. I’m having a hard time trying to think of a specific recipe for it. It’s always one of those, “This needs something…” additions.

2. Amy says:

I am in shock. I never knew that there were places where one could not buy Rotel! How do they cook? How do they eat? I use the stuff at least once a week! And what would New Year’s Day be without our ground beef, black-eyed pea, rice & ROTEL skillet meal be?!? Wow.

3. SarahMay says:

If Rotel isn’t carried in your area, you can substitute a can of any-brand diced tomatoes with green chilies. (You may want to chop them up a bit because I think Rotel has slightly smaller pieces.)
    And… my husband was the one who enlightened me on this one… it’s important to DRAIN the Rotel before adding it to the Velveeta–unless you want cheesy Rotel soup (which still tastes good, but is harder to keep on the tortilla chips!).

4. gretchen from lifenut says:

Are you saying Rotel isn’t lining the cupboards of America? That’s a crying shame. Have some in my cupboard right now. Everyone I know thinks it’s a staple, up there with flour, sugar, salt, and milk.

5. Just Beachy says:

Ahh Rotel. I use it all the time. Actually my entry to this WFMW post mentions rotel (which you can now get in mild or mexican flavor as well)
    Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts, (seasoned with salt and pepper) pour a can of rotel on top. Bake until done. Cover with a shredded cheese..I would suggest monterey jack with rotel, return to oven to melt cheese…serve with rice and green veggie. easy peasy.

6. jen says:

I never knew of Rotel until I moved from the Upper-Midwest to the Dallas area! It is now an item that is always on my grocery list…always. I’ve tried to make dinners when we visit family in Georgia and Minnesota and it’s hard to find in either place- as is good enchilada sauce 🙂
    I love your measurements too for your no-name dish—that’s my kind of cooking 🙂

7. Maddy says:

Oh dear. I don’t know what this is or how to use it. Is it regional? I’ll go and crawl back under my foreign rock now.
    Cheers

8. Grace says:

There is a world WITHOUT Rotel???? NO!!!!! I had NO idea there were places in this country you couldn’t get it… I thought you’d at least have to go to the other side of the world!!!!

9. Holly Smith says:

And never, ever use the cheese product that is not Velveeta. It is just not the same.
    ‘Love the Super Bowl comment. I am sorry that you had to endure a game without a staple in every Southern home!

10. Maria says:

I admit I never knew the joy of Rotel until I moved to Tulsa. Now, I cannot live without it. Well, in Europe, I lived without, but not here.
    My quick rotel recipe–I have others, but this one rocks.
    Cook a box of bow-tie (or whatever pasta you have) pasta (approx 1 pound)
    While that is going on, brown a pound of hamburger meat. Add can of rotel and velveeta.
    When the pasta is done, mix it in with the hamburger mixture. Viola! Dinner is served.

11. Jenni says:

love Rotel….another great snacky dip is:
    1 can Rotel
    16 oz cream cheese
    1 pound sausage
    Brown the sausage and drain. Mix in cream cheese and drained Rotel with the sausage.

12. Sherry says:

Rotel in my chicken chili. Rotel in my taco soup. Rotel always in my pantry!
    And every once in a while, when I’m feeling crazy, I brown a pound of pork sausage and add it to the Velveeta dip.

13. Brandi says:

I remember tasting Rotel for the very first time in Collierville, Tennessee as a preteen, I believe. It could always be found as an appetizer at any southern gathering, and now that I am back in Arizona, it’s not as popular. Maybe that is a good thing, though, since Velveeta likes to cling to my middle!:)

14. Phebe says:

I only recently discovered Rotel (and cooking all things Mexican, for that matter). It is impossible, as far as I know, to cook ANY Mexican dish without Rotel, canned green chiles, and canned enchilada sauce. I’ve always been big on cooking Oriental food (my husband is Filipino), but since moving to Colorado (from LA–go figure!) I’ve been on a Mexican kick. Thank God for Rotel–even in Colorado…

15. Dawn says:

Rotel is awesome! It’s a key ingredient in my famous Cheeseburger Casserole. My recipe: egg noodles, Campbell’s cheese soup, ground beef, ROTEL, sauteed onions, corn. Mushrooms are optional. A cup of shredded cheddar and diced scallions (green onions) to top it off, and voila! Heart attack in a bowl. MMMMMM, MMMMM Good!

16. Julia says:

Delurking to comment on Ro-tel – am a alabama girl… have a friend from New Jersey – we were discussing a “tex-mex” meal and I referred to the “Ro-tel dip” a.k.a. Queso… a.k.a. cheese dip – I was astonished that my NJ friend had NO IDEA what Ro-tel was! We both live in VA now and thankfully I was able to find the trusty can and introduce her to the best can on earth!

17. DeputyHeadmistress says:

I do not consider velveet a food, but I would buy it anyway because of that cheese dip. I learned this year that you can make the same dip (only it tastes ten times better) using cream cheese instead of velveeta.
    You can heat it or just use a mixer to mix it in. And if you don’t have Ro-tel, a good brand of salsa mixed with cream cheese makes a delicious dip.

18. Magi says:

We’re big Ro-tel fans. We do the Velveeta dip. I have a chicken recipe at home that calls for it, and we do the cream cheese dip. I’ve never added sausage to the cream cheese version, only the Velveeta version. Sounds interesting. I like the cream cheese one because it’s served cold. I just mix in one can of drained Ro-tel to one brick of softened cream cheese, and chill.

19. Jill says:

Ahhh, rotel. My dad used to make the infamous velveeta/rotel dip at least once a week as a kid.
    I can tell you that it is available in Michigan and Kansas at least.
    Sadly, noone in my house will eat it but me – must be an acquired taste….

20. Christy says:

I was so afraid that I couldn’t find Rotel at the grocery store when I moved to Michigan! After all…WE DON’T EVEN HAVE A WM SUPERCENTER!!!!
    Thank goodness we do have a Kroger. They currently carry all of my favorite brands! I will go to Sams occasionally and when they have it, I buy Rotel by the case. The good thing with the Rotel is that you KNOW you will use it if you have it!
    And don’t get me started on Rotel Dip. Yummy gooey delicious goodness. Dang. I may have to make some now!
    Be sure to enter my current giveaway!
    –Christy at http://www.theroadtohome.net

21. Fresh Girl says:

Okay, I’m not going to disparage the Velveeta version of Rotel Dip, but if you haven’t tried it with cream cheese, then you need to remedy that right away… brown some pork sausage and put that in a crock pot with the Rotel and a couple packages of cream cheese. Heat. Eat. Make Homer Simpson-like noises while you do so.

22. Cathy says:

Funny! We moved to Oklahoma from Ohio 10 years ago and someone served us Rotel dip. I did the “what’s Rotel?” thing and was soon enlightened…now half my soup recipes have at least a can of Rotel in them!

23. Jeanette from Texas says:

I walked through the kitchen the other evening. My husband was standing infront of the pantry looking at the Rotel. He said he wanted some Rotel, but what should he eat it with. I cracked up. He finally mixed it with a can of beans and ate the whole thing.

24. kd says:

I simply canNOT imagine there are people who don’t have a Rotel can in their pantry! HOW do they live & breathe, much less cook!?
    For you unfortunate folks that it isn’t readily available on your grocery shelves….take a can of diced tomatoes, add a 4 oz can of chopped green chilies (hopefully, THOSE are available), mix ’em together & you’ve got a poor excuse for Rotel!
    Then…whenever you’re in the “Good Land” (Texas), STOCK UP on life’s necessity known as Rotel!

25. Frazzmom says:

I can buy Rotel out here in the Silicon Valley at my local Safeway… I had never heard of it until I saw a recipe in a magazine for the Rotel/Velveeta dip (we love it!) Now I keep a can in the pantry all the time.
    I like to add a can whenever I make a batch of chicken soup to add a little kick!

26. Sue says:

I will refrain from commenting on the Velveeta.
    (dry heave)
    Oh, excuse me, just feeling suddenly nauseous. Not cuz of the Velveeta. Nope. Not at all.

27. Domestic Chicky says:

ok, I have to join the rotel love!! I make my dip (in the crock pot) with rotel, refried beans, shredded chicken, and velveeta or shredded cheese. Sooo yummy. I also make mexican chicken casserole: combine rotel, shredded chicken, 1/2 pkg taco seasoning, sour cream, shredded cheese and cream of chicken soup. Layer(in a 2qt casserole) crushed doritos, 1/2 of chicken mix, doritos, other 1/2 of chicken mix, top with cheese, cover, and bake 35 min @ 350*. I think I need to make this tonight now!!

28. margalit says:

You all have made me feel very small and insignificant because I’ve never heard of Rotel. They don’t sell it in the Boston area as far as I know. Now I’ll have to go look for it. But as God is my witness, I will never melt a loaf of Velveeta in my microwave. That stuff is a petroleum product. Ugh.

29. Shalee says:

Although I was raised in the South, I do not share your love of Velveeta, except in that great Super Bowl Dip of Love. I can eat until I’m orange on that one.
    Rotel however often makes an appearance in my pantry.
    And you have to look for what level of “hot” it is. If you’re a wimp like me, go for mild. If you’re a dragon in disguise, I’d recommend the hot for you.

30. Nancy says:

Another Rotel recipe:
    Shrimp Dip/Spread
    1 can Rotel, juice and all
    1 block of cream cheese, room temp
    1 handful (or more) thawed and drained salad shrimp (I like to chop mine up so more shrimp goodness is spread around)
    Smush the rotel into the cream cheese, mix well and then stir in shrimp.
    Add garlic or onion salt to taste.
    Serve ONLY with Ritz crackers. (Yeah, this is a buttery cracker dip – all others taste blah.)
    This is so good, I always double it since it goes FAST!
    Go on diet after holidays….enjoy this TODAY!

31. Domestic Chicky says:

32. suzanne says:

Wak-mart (yes that’s what I call it during the holidays) has a generic Ro-Tel knock-off. Not as much kick but it gets the job done in a pinch.
    My fave way to use is fry up some tortillas (corn) with some onions and Rotel and add eggs…YUM!

33. faithful chick says:

When we are making Mexican food, this is one of my sides. It ROCKS THE HOUSE.
    1 can Rotel (if you are daring, use the spicy one)
    1 can of refried beans
    2 cups (or more if you like it gooey) of mozarella cheese
    Melt together over medium-low heat in a saucepan. (I heat the beans and Rotel up first, then add the cheese.)
    I know it sounds crazy to have mozarella cheese on Mexican night, but trust me on this one. You can serve it on the side and eat with a fork/spoon OR serve it with chips as a hearty dip.
    WARNING: I am not responsible for any gas-related issues from this dish. But, I will say that it is worth it.
    Adios!

34. Emily R says:

I moved to NC a year ago. I didn’t know to look for it. I will check out the Harris Teeter post-haste. If everyone loves it this much, it must be good, and good for you!

35. Harmony says:

Lol… who knew Rotel had such a following? I know of Rotel, but I just don’t use it. I do LOVE the Rotel cheese dip, but we avoid processed cheese around here (not that it isn’t thoroughly yummy, but it’s just not for everyday consumption in our house) – so I only eat that at SuperBowl parties and the like.
    Of course, we also don’t eat Tex-Mex very often. I might make the occasional chili and enchiladas, and when I feel up to it I make a mean taco, but I’m mostly a Southern and Asian style cook. That probably has something to do with it. 😉

36. Missy says:

Life without Rotel? I can’t even imagine it. I make Salsa with Rotel as a base.
    I don’t really measure everything, just keep tasting it until it’s right:
    3 cans Rotel (drained or undrained, depending on how juicy you like your salsa)
    garlic
    salt
    2 or more green onions (or white if you prefer)
    lime juice
    cilantro (fresh is best)
    Dump it all in a blender and pulse until it’s all mixed up. Don’t blend to much. This makes about a quart of delicious salsa. It’s so much better and cheaper than store-bought salsa, and it’s fast!

37. Lacy says:

Being a (pregnant) Texan living in Minnesota, my husband so nicely drove me to the grocery store to get Rotel and Velveeta in a snow storm!! Oh he enjoyed the dip just as much as I did!! This is the only time we use Velveeta, but it’s worth it!!

38. Lacy says:

39. Lacy says:

40. Mary B says:

Oh my word! I am from Michigan and I feel like I have entered a new universe! Although there seems to be a great debate velveeta vs. cream cheese, I might have to try both (on separate occasions of course).
    Your readers have posted a real treasure trove of recipes. Can’t wait to dig in!

41. alli says:

I can’t believe no one has mentioned the velveeta/chicken/rotel/spaghetti dish (there are more ingredients, but i can’t think of ’em right now!). Yummy bummy!
    But, more importantly…Have you seen the lime and cilantro rotel? It’s just as yummy. Take the risk and try it. Then again, I’m a lover of all the Rotel family. I like it chunky, mild, medium…it’s good stuff.

42. jubilee says:

My husband (from Texas) introduced me to Rotel and was shocked that I hadn’t heard of it. We do have it here in Ohio and it has become a staple in our household. There is no substitute, my friends. No other brand even comes close.
    As for the velveeta dip, it makes an appearance at Superbowl Sunday and once or twice a year besides that. Just three days ago my husband decided he’d make dinner until he found out that we had no velveeta for the dip on hand. Can’t remember what we had instead. I bet I would have remembered if the velveeta cheese dip had been on the menu!

43. Annie from Tampa says:

I didn’t read all the comments to see if it’s there – but what about a can of refried beans and a can of rotel?? Perfect for bean dip. I grew up with Rotel bean dip.
    It’s the essential ingredient in at least one meal a week – my favorite is Arizona Skillet –
    1 can Rotel, 1 can diced tomatoes, 1 8oz package frozen corn, 1 can kidney beans (drained & rinsed), 1 clove pressed garlic, chili powder to taste, and cumin if you like it (bring to boil in a skillet, then simmer for 10-15 min). Serve over macaroni noodles and sprinkle with Monterey Jack (pepper jack if you like it spicy). Heaven in a bowl!!!

44. zoom says:

There is also the Texas staple– King Ranch Chicken Casserole. Made with Rotel and if you really love ’em Velveeta. It is sort of a Tex mex lasagna with tortillas and chicken.
    It is a comfort food classic.

45. Kathy says:

I love Rotel! My hubby and in-laws (from Eastern Europe) aren’t used to food that spicy though. (yes, I know… it’s not that spicy) Anyhow, for non-spicy foodies, the Del Monte or store brand canned tomatoes with onion and peppers are a good substitute in the rotel cheese. Only substitute if you’re feeding someone who can’t handle any heat though. Otherwise, Rotel + Velveeta = yum!

46. Heather says:

I love Rotel! I had no idea that it wasn’t available to everyone! My favorite thing to do with it? Brown up a pound of breakfast sausage (I use Jimmy Dean) and drain off the grease. Add an 8oz block of cream cheese and a can of rotel and put your hands in there and squish it all together. Serve it warm on chips or bread slices….you will not regret it. It will make your tongue want to slap your momma 🙂

47. Margo says:

I’ll have to check my grocery stores for Rotel – NEVER heard of it before here in Pennsylvania, so I’m doubtful. I have used tomatoes with diced chilies before – gives a nice kick, so I’d try Rotel too. But the comments are cracking me up – must be the food of the gods for the rest of the country!! (But VELVEETA???! yikes)

48. Mari-jane says:

Okay, call me crazy, but I use this in anything you would use regular tomatoes in. It adds extra flavor to meatloaf, spaghetti sauce, etc. I can’t say anything bad about it!!

49. Wendylicious says:

*le sigh*, I live in California now (dang Marine Corps) and bring cases back with us when we go home to Texas for a visit.
    And I highly disagree with the first comment…..there is NO subsitute for the Rotel brand.

50. Candace says:

I wouldn’t know how to make queso without Rotel. Queso is one of the very few things that I can make. I’m so glad that you brought it to my attention that there are places in the US that don’t sell Rotel. If I ever move to one of those places I’ll be taking a case of Rotel with me.

51. Jeni says:

Rotel is awesome! I’m a Yankee by birth (and choice, really) but was introduced to Rotel while attending college in Arkansas. It’s fantastic! You can add it to just about anything to give that right amount of pep!

52. singinole says:

rotel and cream cheese makes another great super simple dip without all the messy clean up that goes along with the velveeta version. and it’s also served cold to room temp so you don’t have to leave it in a crockpot at a party.
    i’m not a big fan of the unnatural velveeta “loaf” unless of course it’s used in a delish recipe like yours!

53. Laura says:

Here’s another favorite family recipe:
    In the crockpot, dump two 15-oz cans of Rotel (whatever flavor you please), two pork tenderloins, cover, and heat on low for 6-8 hours. That’s it. Serve with whatever sides you’d like – you can also use pork ribs if they are more budget-friendly. The Rotel makes the meat oh-so-tender, it just falls apart. Even my kidlets eat it, although we have to use mild Rotel for their sensitive tastebuds.
    I, too, didn’t realize this was a regional vegetable, LOL! I thought EVERYONE knew what Rotel was – it’s always in our pantry. Tastes great even using it at salsa with chips, and I second the refried beans & Rotel dip mentioned above. Oh, and the cheese dip… mmmmmm, now I’m hungry for appeteasers, :-).

54. courtney orrange says:

when i first moved to colorado from boston i had no idea what rotel was. My friend julie introduced me and I have had a stocked pantry ever since. I just went to make guac yesterday and was struck by panic…what if i didn’t have rotel, i had just gone grocery shopping and didn’t buy any…alas, i still had four cans in the pantry. No chance of getting low around here!

55. Krista says:

I’m sorry, but Velveeta is just NASTY! Obviously you have never heard of the heaven that is Tillamook Cheddar cheese! Now that is some might fine cheese.
    And Rotel just looks like diced tomatoes to me… which I do have 3 or 4 cans of in my cupboard at all times.

56. Angie says:

Psst.. I am from South Dakota and while you won’t find Rotel with the regular tomoatoes you will find in the Ethnic aisle right next to the cans of Enchilada sauce and taco shells 🙂

57. Kerith Collins says:

i live in iowa and i LOVE rotel…it is the only canned tomatoe i use!!!…plus it is so pretty…it matches my green beans…yea…they are the giant…so what of it

58. Howdy says:

How about what I call Mexican Pierogis.
    Cook a mess of Cheese Pierogis up according to package directions. Once you are done pan frying them – Stir in some Rotel – heat and enjoy! Usually best with cheese sprinkled over the top!

59. Beth says:

We have RoTel in NC. But I first had it *ages* ago in Central Illinois. I’m amazed that it wouldn’t have been available in Chicago!

60. Charity says:

I live overseas and just brought back some cans of Ro-tel from Walmart on our visit back to Dallas! I love it! But unfortunatley was not able to sacrafice the space or weight to bring back blocks of velveeta! 😦

61. David says:

We moved back to Southern Illinois after living in Dallas for several years. I haven’t seen RoTel around here, but it’s easy enough to find other brands of tomatoes and green chilis. Speaking of green chilies, one of our favorite breakfasty foods is a layered egg, sausage, and cheese casserole thingy with a layer of “unfolded” whole green chilies in it. Mmmm!

62. The Ma, The Stretch Mark Mama says:

Don’t know why, but it HAS to be Rotel. Even substituting a can of tomatoes and a can of green chilies does not cut it. There must be spices in the Rotel that make it work. Here’s a favorite recipe of mine!
    Spanish Rice
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    1 cup uncooked white rice
    1 onion, chopped
    1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
    2 cups water
    1 can (10 oz) diced tomatoes and green chilies
    2 teaspoons chili powder, or to taste
    1 teaspoon salt
    Heat oil in a deep skillet over medium heat. Saute rice, onion, and bell pepper until rice is browned and onions are tender. Stir in water and tomatoes. Season with chili powder and salt. Cover, and simmer for 30 minutes, or until rice is cooked and liquid is absorbed. 4 servings.

63. Kathy of the HavinsNest says:

Life without Ranch Style Beans is almost just as sad as life without RoTel.
    When my brother and SIL lived in upstate NY we had to send Ranch Style Beans to them a case at a time and anyone going up to visit had to take a case or two.

64. Melanie says:

I had no idea that Rotel was regional!
    It’s like I’ve been sitting in the midst of treasure and knew not its worth.
    All this time there were people eating plain Velveeta and I have taken my spicy cheese dip for granted.

65. jocomom says:

Just last week we had dinner with some friends (originally from NW Indiana) who had never heard of Rotel. They were wondering how we made our cheese dip. I had no idea it wasn’t available everywhere. How sad for the rest of the world.

66. Happy Geek says:

Upon moving to Texas (from Canada) I was introduced to rotel cheese dip. I think you’ve gotta be from the South to truly get what is good about that. Now that we are back home I miss a lot of Southern Cusine, but Rotel, not so much.
    Also, for the love of all that is Ukranian cooking, DO NOT put Rotel on top of Pierogis. (As suggested by Howdy) Bacon onions and sour cream yes, green chilis, not so much.

67. Amy says:

Just used them tonight in an awesome tortilla chicken soup recipe. YUM YUM
    Have not used it with Velveeta but YUM YUM–yep, I like! 🙂

68. Fizz says:

Are you secretly my mother-in-law?
    Just kidding. You are too young, too funny, too happy, and too nice to be her. (Yikes, that sounded bad. I really do like her. Honestly.)
    But, she shares your love for the Velveeta+Rotel=Super Bowl star dish.

69. Vickie says:

We keep at least six cans of Rotel on hand at all times. I have been known to purchase a case of it if our local grocery store has it 3 for 1.00. I have used it in my chili before and it is a staple in my taco soup or chicken tortilla soup. My family loves the hot version but I prefer the mild. It would NOT be Christmas Eve in my family if we did not have Queso made with Velveeta, Sausage and Rotel! Oh my goodness making a big crock pot full of Queso and watching the Super Bowl are what we Okies live for!!
    Our family could not live without it!

70. tas says:

Hello again from Canada.
    I didn’t realize I lived such a deprived life! I have never heard of Rotel, but have managed to live a very successful life, fullfilling even. Here in Canada I use a can of diced tomatos, and jalepeno peppers, onion and velveeta cheese to make the dip.
    I have to admit that I had my back up when i started reading the comments, and how bad it was that some people have never used rotel. then I realized that you are probably missing out on one of the best chocolate bars…Coffee crisp….oh that’s right, its only found in Canada. Opps.
    We function just fine without rotel.

71. pj says:

Puleese! do not malign Chicago. We do have Rotel. I have two cans in my pantry at the moment. Alas, I am sadly lacking in Velveeta…somehow I prefer shredded Cheddar…Not that there’s anything wrong with some wonderfully processed and re-processed plasti…uh… pleasant Cheese goo…uh …food. But the Rotel…Aaah!!!

72. Rachel says:

I can’t even imagine a life without Rotel. Seriously, when you wrote that people ASKED WHAT IT WAS, I gasped.

73. Vicky says:

As I clicked on your blog, a commercial for Rotel came on the TV. I’ve never had Rotel (which apparently is cause for loud gasps across America). I’ll have to check the shelves of the grocery stores here in WA because all these comments about Velveeta and Rotel have got me wanting chips and queso. Mmmmmmm!

74. Megan says:

Just try being a Texas girl living in France! No Rotel, No Velveeta. Nothing. A sweet girlfriend spent $40 to mail me said items last month, and it was the best darn stuff I’ve had in a year and a half. French food be darned-I’ll take my Southern fare anyday 🙂

75. Terina says:

i love rotel, but will not eat anything remotely like velveeta or american cheese. its plastic to me, just as margarine is. but i LOVE rotel.

76. tina says:

As Mr. T would say, ‘I pity the fool’…who doesn’t have Rotel!! LOL Rotel cheese dip is a staple at all cookouts. I like to make Chicken Rotel…
    1 can Rotel
    1lb Velveeta
    1 pack Chicken Gravy Mix
    3/4 lb noodles (any kind)
    2-3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
    – Boil chicken.
    – Cook noodles, drain.
    – make gravy as directed
    – melt cheese with Rotel
    – combine everything and enjoy!

77. Elizabeth says:

I have uber picky eaters at this time in my life so have not been seeking out Rotel as I once did. BUT, I had to look in my grocers today to see if here in my midwest area – I could find it. I sure DID. Though – it has the requisite tomatoes, this one had cilantro and lime, no chilies! Will try it, but that’s different…

78. Christy says:

I had no idea that Rotel was regional. Sure we could not find it in Norway but I figured it would be all over in the US. My favorite uses of Rotel (besides the aforementined cheese dip) are my mamma’s hodge podge stew and my turkey spinach enchilada’s. Yummy.

79. Nic says:

Shannon, are you sitting down….?
    Where I live (the Netherlands), we have neither Velveeta nor Rotel. For some reason I still am a very happy person. But that’s probably because I’ve never tasted either… 😉

80. Sheryl says:

Oh sweet mercy, there are places on this earth where Rotel and Velveeta do not exist?? May the good Lord never ask me to move to such a place.
    I currently have TWELVE cans of Rotel on my pantry shelves …

81. Say says:

I always heard people talk about Rotel but could never find it in the store. Oodles of other similar options, but no Rotel. And then, one day – BOOM – there it was. I tried it, but actually prefer the other brands I’m accustomed to.

82. Bailey's Leaf says:

I just learned something. Had no idea what Rotel was. We don’t have that stuff here in Ohio. We do have Velveeta, though. I used to like it until I ate an entire loaf in a two day span. My body was begging for digestive mercy. Velveeta hasn’t crossed my lips since!

83. Amy B. says:

hmmm…I live in Michigan we have “Rotel” only it is called, “Tomatoes and Green Chilies” instead.

84. Scott says:

Just a quick shout-out to say thanks for sticking up for Velveeta.
    I don’t know why some people are Veeta-Hate-uz.
    Bury me with a loaf.

85. Jennifer says:

You may have already gotten this recipe, there were too many comments to read them all! Our family uses Rotel in what we call 2×2 soup: brown 2 lbs. hamburger meat, open 2 cans Rotel, 2 cans minestrone soup, and 2 cans of kidney beans and dump in a big pot. Stir and heat. Enjoy!

86. town girl says:

Ro-tel is easy to find in Chicago proper now. I’m not sure what happened distribution-wise, but one day I looked up and there it was in every Jewel and Dominick’s. I took to making Ro-tel dip for parties. People would at first sneer at the mention of the Velveeta. And then they’d eat the whole crockpot full.
    It was nice to Chicago and Ro-tel together in one post. Thanks for helping me feel a little less homesick 🙂

87. Anonymous says:

mercy, im old enough to have an original recipe for that wonderful queso dip…it took a long time in prep but wowzers was it worth it. Now everyone just opens a can of rotel and dumps a block of velveta in the microwave. While I love rotel, use it in everything, Never been a big fan of velveeta until I found the pepper jack variety…now talk about a jacked up broccoli cheese casserole…try unsing a 1/2 block of ppr jack in your next casserole dish…talk about good eatin….
    btw..the orig queso dip was to dice an onion very small, dice bell peppers very small, brown with hamburger meat mixed with fresh ground sausage, add chopped garlic, cook til meat done, veggies tender, drain, add to stock pot and add shredded cheddar, small can of green chilies or jalapenos…tasters choice…heat over low heat til blended, pour into chaffin dish or crock pot to serve. Like I said, quiet a bit of work but well worth it. wowwhee…..

88. Laura Holden says:

3 Can Soup is a staple in our house for those nights when you need food FAST!
    1 can Rotel
    1 can black beans
    1 can corn
    Mix and heat in a saucepan. Feeds 2 adults and 3 kids(9, 7, and 2) with a little bit left over. I serve this with cheese quesadillas. The great thing about the leftovers is that you can drain the liquid and wrap the remainder in a tortilla with a little cheese and salsa for a quick lunch the next day.
    Rotel is the best!!! I love reading everyone’s recipes!