For All the Fan-ilows

I just have to tell you that finding out there were so many other Barry-lovers out there just warmed the cockles of my heart.

(By the way, what are cockles, and why are they better warmed?  Would somebody please look that up?)

As if your great comments weren’t enough, I learned through this whole process that my real-life friend Kim, who has eaten in my very kitchen and attended my children’s birthday parties, once ran into Barry Manilow on a ski slope.  Literally RAN INTO him.  I have been mere steps away from greatness all this time, and I didn’t even know it.

I laughed out loud (and nodded in agreement) as you all sang your praises of Barry; unfortunately, I only have three CDs to give away.  Actually, no, I have four, but you’re crazy if you think I’m not keeping one of them for myself.

The winning commenters, together with their Barry-licious comments are:

When you’re fifteen, there is nothing better than "Weekend in New England" to play over and over when you feel you’ve left the love of your life behind at summer camp. Even though I am a Midwestern girl and have never been to New England or a long rocky beach. Some things are universal.

Staci

Oooooh, Shannon! Girl you are not alone…I, too, know who wrote the songs and I can’t smile without him and YES, oh, YES he is my MAN-DY. So please, please, please, don’t make me look, up, down, high, or low to try to get that CD for Christmas. mmmmmkay?

Christine

Barry’s "This One’s For You" album was the first one I chose when my Mom let me join a record club in the 70s and get 12 albums for one cent!!! I eventually ordered them all. I LOVE BARRY. I knew my husband was the man for me when, on our first date, I looked in his glove compartment at his tapes, and he had BARRY in there!!! We have seen Barry in person twice. You should go to Vegas. You will not be sorry. Just bring a bunch of SlimFast shakes or something, so there’s no choking hazard.

–Krista (no blog, e-mail is @yahoo.com)

You girls please e-mail me your mailing addresses and I’ll get the CDs out to you right away.

And to my dear friend Melanie who is so precious to me but would clearly not know good music if it jumped up and bit her in the Copa Cabana, may I just say, TAKE THAT

Now I leave you all with this:

Posted in: Fun

26 thoughts on “For All the Fan-ilows

1. Lynne says:

Congrats to the winners. I have the CD – they’ll love it!
    Great video!! For a 64 year old, he looks terrific and sounds even better.

2. Fox's Momma says:

Oh dear…my 14-month old just stood here at the laptop , mesmerized by the video. Not sure how I’m going to explain to his Daddy how the boy is now a Barry Manilow fan!

3. Rebecca says:

The definition of “cockles of the heart” (from http://www.m-w.com):
    Main Entry: cockles of the heart
    Etymology: perhaps from 2cockle
    Date: 1671
    : the core of one’s being โ€”usually used in the phrase warm the cockles of the heart
    ๐Ÿ™‚
    I like the core of my being to be warm. You?

4. TracyMichele says:

Although I didn’t win Barry, I did learn something this morning. There are many derivations for the phrase.. here’s mine: A cockle is a bivalve mollusk. Apparently their shell is somewhat heart shaped. The consumption of raw cockles has been linked to hepatitis. Warmed cockles are good for your heart. ๐Ÿ™‚

5. clemntine says:

What’s funny is his face is, like…30ish. His hands are all of 60+. Not that I’m pointing (craggy, veined) fingers, though. If a barn needs paintin’…

6. Mary says:

Oh how I love me some Barry Manilow. I’ve seen him several times and loved every second of it.
    You’ll find Barry fans are everywhere. A good friend of mine’s husband just loves him. Please keep in mind that her hubby was a long haired glam rocker in spandex and leather when they got married. What song did HE choose for their first dance though? I Can’t Smile Without You. Hee!

7. BJ says:

Aren’t cockles some kind of shellfish? Like in Molly Mallone – “….mussels and cockles and hmm,hmm,hmm,hmm…” That’s what I think of anyway.

8. Stephanie says:

Delurking to say I LOVE BARRY too!! We listened to him all the way to school every day in Elementary and Junior High. I saw him in concert when I was 11. I MUST watch Barry anytime he’s on tv!! Yeah , my husband thinks I’m an idiot, but he hasn taste. ๐Ÿ™‚ Love the video…must go find more now!

9. biodtl says:

I’m a little late to the fanilow fray, but I have to tell you that I have on my desk right now a photo of me and a Barry Manilow impersonator. How pathetic is that?

10. Lisa P in California says:

OOOHHHHHH!!! I have to pick my melted self up off the keyboard. That man’s voice…I don’t know why God gave one man so much talent, but I am so glad he did. AWESOME!!!!

11. crafty carolinagirl says:

I just saw your post about Barry Manilow and how your friend, Melanie, didn’t think you’d get any comments ๐Ÿ™‚ Sounds like my sister, Melanie, who once made a scary songs (Monster Mash, etc) tape for my Halloween party and finished it off with the Copa Cabana. She hates that I am a fan-ilow.