Have I Mentioned That She Likes To Talk?

My daughter is a little chatty.  Every morning, she wakes up talking.  And then, when she finishes, she talks a little more.  And then she takes a breath or two, and then she talks.  Some more.  All day, in fact.  ALL day.

It is absolutely precious, of course (especially since, for the longest time, she wouldn’t speak at all).  Her talking warms the very depths of my heart, except when it has me ready to jump out a window, but that is a different post for another day.

We had her three-year check-up yesterday morning.  She was a little puzzled that she was going to the doctor when she wasn’t sick.  I lightly explained that we were going so that she could show the doctor her tricks–how smart and funny and healthy she is.

A word of caution:  when you have a unusually extroverted three year old, do not tell her she is going somewhere to "show off all your tricks", unless you plan to be there a while.  Our sweet doctor came in, pulled up the stool next to Corrie and greeted her.  My girl did away with the formalities; she was ready for business.

"I say pwedge awegiance."

The doctor looked at me quizzically.  Here we go, I thought.

"She wants to say the pledge of allegiance for you," I explained.

"Oh, I would LOVE to hear it," he said warmly.  Run, man, run! I thought.  You don’t know what you’re starting!

She dutifully placed her hand over her heart and proceeded (this is obviously not a recording of the actual doctor’s visit; I made this recording when we got home.  Click on the text below to hear.):

Download pledge.wav

When she finished, he reached for his pen.  "I’m making a note of this under ‘mental development’.  It pretty much says what I needed to know about her verbal skills."

Oh, you have no idea.

66 thoughts on “Have I Mentioned That She Likes To Talk?

1. Jenni says:

Oh my goodness, that was priceless!!!
    LOL on the “show off all your tricks” advice…I honestly was expecting you to say she did something far worse than recite the Pledge!

2. Clemntine says:

We like to say that Baby Redneck (who celebrates the Big 3 on 12/13) has an invisible oxygen pump, since she talks, sings, counts and makes up foreign languages apparently without ever needing to draw breath. We need to get these two in the same room sometime. The cutie-pie factor will be off the charts!

3. Christine says:

Oh, I know what you mean. Alex was a little later talking than Mickey but now he will not shut up. I would love to see him and Corrie try to have a conversation. It would probably sound like a crowd of 100!
    That recording is truly adorable…

4. Ellen says:

My daughter talks from the moment she wakes up in the morning until the second she falls asleep. She just turned 7. This is not a phase. 😉
    Ellen in Texas

5. NerdMom says:

That was stinkin’ cute. I have a few kids like this too. The problem is that they don’t really want to talk to each other, just me and other adults.

6. Tracy says:

o man! She is something else. My daughter was very precocious as well… she is 13 now and it does not stop! LOL
    On another note. I followed your link back to where you had the speech delay concerns. I am going through this now with my 2 yo. And he actually has an expressive speech disorder… sigh… I can’t wait to post on my blog something like this! When he is speaking enough that I want him to be quiet I will know that all is right in my world again.
    Hug that precious girl! She is too sweet….

7. jenny says:

How cute is that!!! I’m not sure there is anything sweeter than toddler conversation. My 2 year old son absolutely delights me with his talk! My daughter, now 7, talks from sun up ’til sun down. I have NO idea where she gets that. 😉

8. pam says:

So adorable. I love her little voice. I miss that around here . . .
    Hold her close while you still can. : )
    Thanks for the smile. Now I can head off to dreamland.

9. Terry says:

My 7 (soon to be 8 year old) talks from the moment he wakes up to the moment he goes to sleep. And even then he sometimes talks in his sleep! This ice storm and his talking I thought was going to kill me… and staring next week, we’ll be together till the end of the year. What was I thinking!?!?!
    Very cute, but I do understand the jumping out of the window.

10. Amy says:

I have a son just your daughter’s age, we maybe could arrange a courtship in about 20 years (!) but how in the world would they get to know each “other?”

11. Sarah says:

That is too cute! At the end it sounds like she says “One nation, under God…Just for all!” I think I like the rewrite almost as much as the original. 🙂

12. Anna says:

That’s so sweet, you and your readers have actually made me want to have kids (something I couldn’t see myself doing for a couple of years yet)

13. Ginger says:

That is so cute!!! I have two little boys that are like that, well, my almost 4 year old is a non-stop talker, and my 2 year old is soon becoming a non-stop talked. We haven’t tackled the Pledge of Allegiance yet. Thanks for the laugh this morning!

14. carol says:

When my son was 3, I picked him up from preschool and the teacher met me at the door to tell me, “He is very verbal”. No kidding…but it was a nice way for her to put it. One day he talked non-stop for over an hour about vines. He was afraid if he stood in one place too long they would grow around him and wrap him up. I could not convince him that he 1)never was still enough for that to happen & 2)if he didn’t stop talking about it, I would go find some vines to plant (just kidding!)

15. momrn2 says:

How precious! I miss those cute little toddler voices in my home.
    My son is now old enough his voice is cracking and deepening. But then this is a fun stage and one to cherish too!

16. Liz says:

I thought she said “One nation, under God, indibisible – this for all!” at the end, but that is the most darling sound ever. She really has an expressive voice. Maybe you should consider voice lessons early? not as a prodigy Michael Jackson or anything crazy like that, but to help her develop those voice expressions.

17. Shalee says:

Shannon, Corrie can be the first woman president! You keep her on this right track and I’ll be the first to vote for her!
    That’s a keeper for the years to come…

18. Melanie says:

That is just precious!!! I wanted to stand and sing!
    If she went on the trail with Mike Huckabee, I feel certain he would get the nomination.
    ;>)

19. Jeni says:

Thanks for sharing – my girlie, who is almost 15 months, has just recently started saying things. For a long time I’ve been anxious about her development – especially since other babies her age in the church nursery started saying “uh-oh” around 9 months. But I realized recently that she IS saying things, I just don’t translate them correctly.
    And in the back of my mind I know that before we know it we’ll be asking her if we can have some quiet time so Mommy and Daddy can talk. 🙂

20. Jill (CDPJ) says:

The Boy is a talker too. People can’t believe how well or how much he talks and they think it’s soooo cute… and it is. For the first hour or so… but endless hours of it at home can be, let’s say, less than cute. We have to turn the TV on just to get him to shut up…. lol

21. Jill (CDJ) says:

22. Amanda says:

You have confirmed what I have suspected all along! God gave us mom’s a minor break for what was soon to be inevitable – we would have an ever so wonderful non-stop talking child. And while the sound of their precious little voice brings us such delight and makes so happy to know that they can indeed talk, sometimes we just want put a pillow over our head for 5 minutes. So, I guess we can consider ourselves lucky that for the first few years there we had a moment of silence.

23. Irene says:

Both of my daughters are big talkers. I often say to my husband – Boy, they talk A LOT. He just retorts with “WOMEN talk A LOT”.
    Your daughter sounds so cute though! It may sometimes drives you nuts, but you (and I) will miss their little nonstop voices soon enough!

24. Girlymom says:

This is sooo cute! I really think it is a great that you teach it to her. I was talking to a group of kids and asked who could say it, they looked at me like…HUH?!! Now that is sad. My Hubby was in the miliraty, so I taught our kids to say it when they see a flag. You should hear our car when we would drive through the base!

25. Christy says:

My daughter is 21 months old. We went to her 18 month appointment about 2.5 months late because we had been outof the country. when they asked me if she could say 8 words other than mama and dada I laughed out loud. My daughter had somewhere between 200-300 words. I stopped counting at 150 and that was 4 months ago. So, I can see Katherine doing that exact same thing.

26. Diane P says:

Obviously we agree how completely adorable this is, but can I add how inadequate I feel as a mother because my 3 year old couldn’t even come close to that! You should hear her sing Jingle Bells … only I can understand her! What an amazing child you have … very blessed!

27. Gretchen says:

“Her talking warms the very depths of my heart, except when it has me ready to jump out a window.”
    Welcome to the sisterhood, Shannon.
    But she’s so cute, I could reach through the fiber optic cable and just squeeze her. 🙂

28. Sherry says:

I once asked the doctor if he had something I could give to The Boy to make him stop talking and he looked at me like I was speaking jibberish. By the time he finally made it out the door of the exam room (because The Boy wouldn’t stop with the talking already!) he gave me the “I see what you are saying” look.

29. justpassingby says:

that is sooooooo cute… but erm, for the sake of this singaporean here, who has never been anywhere near the united states, can someone please write out the pledge for me so I know what she’s trying to say (which will probably then make it all the more hilarious and cute???)… because somewhere in there, I thought I heard something about a frog and rabbit… ??? LOL!